Help advice needed on equipment

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Help advice needed on equipment

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 8:31 am

Howdy,
Have reloaded a couple times using mates equipment who lives up the road.
My plan was to slowly accumulate the various bits and pieces as they pop up for sale overtime. To save some $$.
That didnt go to plan - was looking at the various kits you can get. Any recommendations to get started. Lee have some cheap kits on eBay. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Lee-50th-An ... SwOgdYm8tn
I figured a cheap kit to get started ain’t a bad idea, then as better stuff pops up I can swap out then have spare ect.
Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Best Regards Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Re: Help advice needed on equipment

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Feb 2019, 8:38 am

Mate I'll tell you what others will say.

Person 1... Lee is crapo I have rcbs. By one cry once
Person 2... I have Redding it's very good, had it for 30 years.
Person 3.... I have Lee it works
Person 4..... get lee now and upgrade this as per needed. Make sure you change the scales as they are crap.
Person 5..... you don't go into reloading to save money but to make more accurate ammo.

And more variations of that. I am like person 3 and person 5. Why spend double or triple to get ammo that will be same... or at the most 1%better unless you going f-class or sport log range shooting. Save the money but extra projectiles and powder and shoot more with money saved
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 10 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

Most reloading presses are OK and you can make straight ammo on them. Lee dies are cheap and work as good as any until you move up to expensive Wilson or Redding dies. Beware that you will end up with thousands of dollars worth of reloading gear if you get into this. I keep finding new and better gear that I have to have.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 9:08 am

Cheers zaid great advice,
Some reasons why I haven’t really got into it yet and some reasons why I want to.

My main issue is were I live there is only 1 LGS which is 100km round trip. I Went in to grab some ammo for the 222 what I usually get wasn’t in stock either was the normal bloke I deal with. There was only one option as I needed 50grainers. (Winchester super X) So basically had to buy these to see how they go. The stuff was Terrible and one round wouldnt chamber properly. On close inspection It was deformed slightly.

I’m after more variety so when I go into Adelaide I can load up on various projectiles and powders then when ammo is getting low I can walk to my garage not do the round trip.

It also another skill I would like to have up my sleeve.

I did struggle to group the Winchester super x at all. Then I shot down a few federal they grouped much better.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Bills Shed » 10 Feb 2019, 9:43 am

Ziad wrote:Mate I'll tell you what others will say.

Person 1... Lee is crapo I have rcbs. By one cry once
Person 2... I have Redding it's very good, had it for 30 years.
Person 3.... I have Lee it works
Person 4..... get lee now and upgrade this as per needed. Make sure you change the scales as they are crap.
Person 5..... you don't go into reloading to save money but to make more accurate ammo.

And more variations of that. I am like person 3 and person 5. Why spend double or triple to get ammo that will be same... or at the most 1%better unless you going f-class or sport log range shooting. Save the money but extra projectiles and powder and shoot more with money saved

Well said, 10 people 10 different opinion.
Some a slightly better / different to others but all make decent ammo. You have to decide on what you want. I think I have bits of every brand in existence. We all have too much gear.......and not enough.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 9:51 am

Well said, think I have made my mind up already, thanks for the advice. Cheer Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Rod_outbak » 10 Feb 2019, 11:11 am

Reloading is all about what works for you.
The great thing is; if something doesnt work how you want it to, you can invest the time & money to improve it, as you see fit.

I have Lee dies, and for some of the calibers I reload, they have ended up working really well.
There are better brands around, but I cant fault the Lee dies for working as advertised.
I run Redding, Dillon, Lyman, Lee, Hornady and Forster dies.
All have their pro's & cons, and the Lee dies are no different in this regard.

I dont have much experience with Lee presses; elder brother had one of the Lee presses years ago, that folded up into a wooden box.
For what he needed, it was plenty good enough.

The press I used as a young fella was a Super Simplex. Easy enough to use, but any FL sizing required it to be done off the press (using a vise).
When I bought my own press in the late 1990's, I went with a Dillon RL550B, but have since bought a couple of Forster Co-Axial presses.
Cant see I'll likely need another press in my lifetime...

My only suggestion is to consider the presses that offer options to 'quick-change' dies over. I think Hornady do it on their Lock-N-Load presses, using a quick-change collet that you screw the die into. Pretty sure some of the Lee presses do similar. Dillon have a complete 'tool-head', which holds all of the dies for one cartridge, and I think a couple of the other manufacturers do something similar. Forster do it slightly differently; their lock-rings slot into the press, and once a die is adjusted in the lock-ring, screwing in the allen key then sets that die in that position, even when you swap it back in & out. It makes it really simple to swap out dies.
But that doesnt mean your first press MUST HAVE this feature; it's simply something that saves you a lot of stuffing around.

As others have pointed out, diving into reloading can worsen like a serious drug addiction....
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1_49er » 10 Feb 2019, 11:42 am

The current (2019) catalogue is available here: - https://leeprecision.com/cgi-data/instr ... atalog.pdf
I have used Lee for a very long time. Several presses set up for various purposes.
One is a single hole set up permanently with a de-priming die.
A second, with interchangeable turrets, set up for the many cartridges that I re-load for. There are 3 hole and 4 hole versions, but I don't think the turrets are interchangeable between types. Each of mine is set up with f/l sizer (or, neck sizer), seater, and crimp, if applicable.
A third (big bugger) for the 577Snider/577/450MH dies.
I've never had a problem with any of the Lee gear. Yes, there is more expensive stuff out there but that'll depend on how keen you are, or venturing into the world of bench-rest. Think Wilson and the likes of.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 10 Feb 2019, 11:44 am

My old lee hand priming tool was great. No probs. Now I have a Hornady and I’m struggling with it. It’s seems to be the worst thing I have ever owned. Maybe I just need more time/ patience setting it up right
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 10 Feb 2019, 12:30 pm

I have a Lee Breech Lock Challenger Press, and Lee dies with which I load .243 and .204. It really does the job well enough for my needs. I see this press in a kit form with a bunch of accessories for $255 which is very good value. You then just need to add the dies and you are away. Like others have said you will add extra bits and pieces as you go. I need to get the Hornady case tumbler (to complement my Hornady ultrasonic cleaner) and the case sifter. If I changed my press it would be to the Lee turret (not progressive) press so I could have the die sets for each calibre left in the four hole die, so it is easier to switch dies when reloading. Not that the current setup is particularly inconvenient though. So in my view the Lee stuff is very hard to go past for value.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 10 Feb 2019, 12:50 pm

Mr impatient not taking time to read instructions finally found some time to have a closer look at my new Hornady hand primer. Now it’s all good
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by axio » 10 Feb 2019, 1:07 pm

Agree with the other posters that it's subjective based on everyones experience.

So here's, what DIDN't work well for me

Priming -
Lee bench prime - Broke, need to get round to returning it, also needs its own set of shell holders
Lee prime on press, the plastic tray feeder eventually wore out so every so often it wouldn't feed a primer.

Went to a RCBS Universal hand primer which feeds without problems and doesnt require it's own shell holders, using this for both pistol and rifle. Though it takes a minute to pull it apart to swap between large and small primers.

Case Lube -
Hornady one shot lube - Could not get this to work without the occasional stuck case, no matter how long waiting or how much or little lube

Using a RCBS lube pad now, no stuck cases.
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 1:36 pm

No worries-
Thanks for the pointers I’ve got a good idea were to start now :)
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by marksman » 10 Feb 2019, 2:32 pm

the kit you are looking at will do the job no worries, it's what I started with a very long time ago :thumbsup:
is there better :unknown: of course there is ;) if you really just want to be a casual reloader dont waste your time with this kit or the better gear as you will never get the benefit out of it cause you will be happy with close enough, just go for a lee hand loader and you wont be disappointed, get some decent powder scales for safety, a set of vernier calipers to check length with a case trimmer for safety as well or just throw away the over length cases and save money, these lee hand die's do make very good ammo, and also google for your equipment as you will be surprised at what your can buy online and have sent to you :thumbsup: its mainly powder and primers you will want to stock up on from your lgs :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 4:22 pm

Well I got chatting about reloading to the father in law and he gave me most of his stuff to get going. I’m very appreciative of what the i laws do for us. Now to find a bench and make some room.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by No1_49er » 10 Feb 2019, 4:53 pm

I bought one of these. Man, is it heavy, and stable. Local tool shop had them. https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/A380
I also bought a wooden bench from "the big green shed". I think the material is "rubber-wood"? Again, very heavy and stable. A bit easier to drill holes in for press mounting etc. Unfortunately it's no longer a stock item - if it was I would have another one.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 7:42 pm

Dossa456 wrote:Cheers zaid great advice,
Some reasons why I haven’t really got into it yet and some reasons why I want to.

My main issue is were I live there is only 1 LGS which is 100km round trip. I Went in to grab some ammo for the 222 what I usually get wasn’t in stock either was the normal bloke I deal with. There was only one option as I needed 50grainers. (Winchester super X) So basically had to buy these to see how they go. The stuff was Terrible and one round wouldnt chamber properly. On close inspection It was deformed slightly.

I’m after more variety so when I go into Adelaide I can load up on various projectiles and powders then when ammo is getting low I can walk to my garage not do the round trip.

It also another skill I would like to have up my sleeve.

I did struggle to group the Winchester super x at all. Then I shot down a few federal they grouped much better.

I loaded several thousand rounds of .222Rem on my Lee Loader (which I still have) in a vice, with a scale, a case trimmer, a FLS die, and a caliper for measuring. Perfectly adequate if you want to dip a toe in to see if you'll enjoy it, and handy to take to the range or field for loading on the fly.

I'd recommend the Lee Breechlock kit with the hand primer. You'll also want Lee Ultimate Collet neck die set, a Quick Trim Die and a caliper for measuring case length.

.222Rem restricts your bullet choice due to the 14"-twist rate of the barrel (do you know what your twist rate is?), so probably 30gn up to 52gn or 53gn, although it might be possible to get a blunt 55gn SP to work. The 50gn ZMax would be a great choice if it shoots well for you, but you could order a few boxes of different types to try, or order some sample packs from Projectile Warehouse.

You can also make .222Rem brass from bulk .223Rem brass if you wanted to, but you'll need a .222Rem Full-Length Sizing die (you can't form it with a neck die).

I would go with AR2206H or BM8208 powder. AR2206H is available in 4kg bottles significantly cheaper than buying 500gn ones.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 9:00 pm

Hi bladeracer, no I’m not sure of twist rate on my 222. It Is an old Rem 788. 1980s I think.

I’d be interested in reloading for a few other calibres also. But will start with the 222-. My poor old 22-250 ruger American has been given the back of the safe since I picked up the 222. Something about blued barrel and timber you gotta love.

I might buy myself a good reloading book and have a read up- any suggestions on books?
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Cooper » 10 Feb 2019, 9:12 pm

I started with the Lee kit and have Forster Co-Ax press now. The Lee press is still bolted the bench and I probably still do the bulk of my reloading work on it. I guess that sounds kind of stupid. Why buy a better press and not use it all of the time? I don't really have an answer but I generally do the larger centre fire stuff on the Co-Ax and crank my bulk hunting stuff (223/204) on the Lee. It works perfectly fine.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 9:41 pm

Dossa456 wrote:Hi bladeracer, no I’m not sure of twist rate on my 222. It Is an old Rem 788. 1980s I think.

I’d be interested in reloading for a few other calibres also. But will start with the 222-. My poor old 22-250 ruger American has been given the back of the safe since I picked up the 222. Something about blued barrel and timber you gotta love.

I might buy myself a good reloading book and have a read up- any suggestions on books?

Magic, in 1983 the 788 in .222Rem was my first centrefire rifle! It's what I learned to reload on :-)

I have books but I think these days you're better served just looking online. Youtube videos make learning easy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 10 Feb 2019, 9:56 pm

Bladeracer can you remember what the common twist rate of the 788s were by any chance?
If not all good. Cheers Dossa
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 10 Feb 2019, 11:18 pm

Regarding books, if you get a Lee kit it comes with their book, which is quite decent. Nick Harvey is Australian, lots of people love his book.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 11:43 pm

Dossa456 wrote:Bladeracer can you remember what the common twist rate of the 788s were by any chance?
If not all good. Cheers Dossa

Not offhand, but my most accurate load used the 53gn Sierra HPBT from memory. I couldn't get 55gn FMJ's to stabilise so I would guess it was the standard 14"-twist.
According to here http://www.exteriorballistics.com/reference/pdf/twist%20tables_rifle.pdf it's 14".
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 11:45 pm

Ziad wrote:Regarding books, if you get a Lee kit it comes with their book, which is quite decent. Nick Harvey is Australian, lots of people love his book.

The book is only with the Deluxe Kit.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2019, 11:53 pm

Check your Private Messages Dossa.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Cooper » 11 Feb 2019, 7:07 am

Ziad wrote:Regarding books, if you get a Lee kit it comes with their book, which is quite decent. Nick Harvey is Australian, lots of people love his book.

I found the Lee manual a really good read. I mainly use the Hornady manual as I mainly shoot Hornady projectiles. The other two I use are the ADI manual and Nick Harvey. I mainly use the Nick Harvey for trim lengths (they are in mm and I find the data the easiest to find and read). Nick Harvey's max loads are usually a bit higher than some other manuals. The Hornady loads are pretty conservative in most case.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Dossa456 » 11 Feb 2019, 7:24 am

Thanks for all the advice it’s much appreciated. I can see myself already getting hooked. Got a good bench off a old mate late last night for a couple of beers. Keen to nock of work so I can get the bench in and everything setup. The missus will be happy I’ll stop cleaning my rifles on our tassie oak dining table now :)
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Feb 2019, 8:41 am

Dossa456 wrote: The missus will be happy I’ll stop cleaning my rifles on our tassie oak dining table now :)

How long have you been married?! :wtf:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 8:58 am

Nick harveys Reloading manual is the go mate, don't bother with the yank offerings as they call their powders different names and you will need to find out what they are here in Aus. Easier to just go with Nicks book - costs around $50 and well worth it as it spells out how to do everything in easy to understand language.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Dossa456 » 11 Feb 2019, 11:41 am

Getting married in March this year oldbloke.
Dossa456
Private
Private

-

Next

Return to Reloading ammunition