Gun safe humidity protection

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Gun safe humidity protection

Post by Stix » 07 Feb 2019, 10:35 pm

Just thought id mention for those who may be interested...

Aldi currently have twin packs of dessicant (silica gel or similar) on sale for less than $5 a twin pack.

I always keep any little (or big) sachet's i come across & throw them in the bottom of the safe, but for less than $5, i grabbed these.

Packs are a bit bulky, but if they dont fit in the safe can just do away with the pack & wrap them in a hanky or something....or get the missus to sew em up in part of an old pillow case.

Im not saying its the best humidity protectiin, but its better than nothing in the safe if you live in an area where humidity levels can rise at certain times of the year... :thumbsup:
2019-02-07 22.57.30.jpg
Aldi special
2019-02-07 22.57.30.jpg (371.69 KiB) Viewed 3726 times

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Gun safe humidity protection

Post by JSS » 10 Feb 2019, 3:17 pm

I use a similar thing, i buy em by the carton from bunnings, they cost bugger all and i'm always shocked how much water they soak up every couple of months when i change them out. i also keep them in my ammo storage.
We're only a km or two from the ocean here in Brissy so we get a bit of moisture & they work a treat.
Last edited by JSS on 10 Feb 2019, 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 10 Feb 2019, 3:42 pm

Mate great idea. I will definitely be into that when I get back.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Wylie27 » 10 Feb 2019, 6:02 pm

I put them in front of the safe, i feel like i would be drawing and containing moisture in the safe.

I am probably paranoid..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

Wylie27 wrote:I put them in front of the safe, i feel like i would be drawing and containing moisture in the safe.

I am probably paranoid..

Well id say you're probably right...but im not sure of its practicality.

Before more moisture can come in the ssfe the existing needs to be gone.
So with it inside the safe atleast its removing moisture from its micro climate first.

With it outside the safe, it wont create air movement to get the moisture laden air to get out of the safe--even if it did, given its in the same atmosphere, more moisture laden air will replace it immedoately.

I think you'll be better served with it inside the safe.

At the end of the day, ive had a chamber rust on me once from being slack & i forgot i hadnt oiled the rifle :roll: ...6 months of winter later & i couldnt chamber a case :wtf: ...thank god it was an old shot out rifle...!!
Since that day the bottom of my safe is a layer of silica gel sachet's...!!!

Ive thought of a weather seal on the door to try slow down the ingress of more humid air...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 10 Feb 2019, 8:55 pm

JSS wrote:I use a similar thing, i buy em by the carton from bunnings, they cost bugger all and i'm always shocked how much water they soak up every couple of months when i change them out. i also keep them in my ammo storage.
We're only a km or two from the ocean here in Brissy so we get a bit of moisture & they work a treat.

I didnt know bunnings sold it...

Whats the product called JSS...?...& how much...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JimTom » 11 Feb 2019, 12:06 am

Yes mate I’d be interested in knowing what you use also.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 11 Feb 2019, 7:02 am

I use a plastic tub or bowl with a dozen tea bags in it...change out at the start of the each wet :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JSS » 11 Feb 2019, 8:14 am

IMG_5691.JPG
IMG_5691.JPG (764.39 KiB) Viewed 3457 times

Stix & JimTom this is the stuff i got last time, but when i had a look on the green shed website just now i couldn't see it, but this stuff (on the link) looks exactly the same and is cheap as chips too, as i said i buy a couple of cartons at a time. I't's basically exactly the same as your stuff without the pretty lavender smell :D Good stuff!!
From memory it's in the isle with all the cleaning products and mops & gear like that.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sunfresh-moisture-absorber-container-2-pack_p4510996
Last edited by JSS on 11 Feb 2019, 8:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 8:43 am

I'd go with a heating mate or one of the Golden Rod heaters, it stops the moisture (I reckon those moisture things draw moisture in from outside the safe) never knock em over or they will eat your rifles butt pads or damage the crown if you store em upside down.

http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayIS ... 9838753977
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 8:52 am

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 11 Feb 2019, 8:57 am

Daddybang wrote:I use a plastic tub or bowl with a dozen tea bags in it...change out at the start of the each wet :thumbsup: :drinks:

What brand & flavour you use DB..? :unknown:

Just kidding... :lol:

You'd be drinking tea out your safe every second day with the humidity up there eh... :unknown:
:D

JSS wrote:
IMG_5691.JPG

Stix & JimTom this is the stuff i got last time, but when i had a look on the green shed website just now i couldn't see it, but this stuff looks exactly the same and is cheap as chips too, as i said i buy a couple of cartons at a time. Good stuff!!
From memory it's in the isle with all the cleaning products and mops & gear like that.

https://www.bunnings.com.au/sunfresh-moisture-absorber-container-2-pack_p4510996

Yes JSS...looks like same stuff... :thumbsup: , although the aldi looks to have 20% more.
Good to know they have it though... :clap:

You know im pretty sure you can dry it out & re-use it.
Either in the oven or outside on those hot dry days... :thumbsup:

bigfellascott wrote:I'd go with a heating mate or one of the Golden Rod heaters, it stops the moisture (I reckon those moisture things draw moisture in from outside the safe) never knock em over or they will eat your rifles butt pads or damage the crown if you store em upside down.

Yea bigfella having a different & dry climate in the safe is best... :thumbsup:
But im still a fan of having something in there to remove excess humidity... :)

Ultimately if everything is swimming in oil there will be no problems anyway.
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Feb 2019, 9:01 am

I think you will find those tubs will draw moisture into the safe from air outside it, I don't bother with em anymore, rather just heat the safe up and be done with it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by JimTom » 11 Feb 2019, 1:46 pm

Thanks JSS.
Appreciate the reply mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Faedy » 11 Feb 2019, 11:20 pm

Ive even thought about having a vent or two put into my safe to allow air flow in and out to reduce moisture build up
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment