B709 required?

Questions about Federal gun laws covering all of Australia. Importing / exporting firearms and ammunition. Dealing with Australian Border Force, Customs etc.

B709 required?

Post by sammyc » 12 Feb 2019, 9:34 am

Heading to NZ for a hunt in April. So much confusion about what permits I need. Defence export control is saying that a restricted goods permit will be fine for exit and re entry back into Australia.

And firearms regristy in NSW are saying that they don’t handle B709 forms.

Super hard to get any info.

Has anyone gone through the process recently?

Thanks
Sammy
sammyc
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: B709 required?

Post by bladeracer » 12 Feb 2019, 9:39 am

sammyc wrote:Heading to NZ for a hunt in April. So much confusion about what permits I need. Defence export control is saying that a restricted goods permit will be fine for exit and re entry back into Australia.

Thanks
Sammy

Are you taking firearms or ammo with you?
B709 is for importation, which should not apply if you are taking a firearm and bringing it back.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by No1_49er » 12 Feb 2019, 10:56 am

Make sure that you apply for a Visitors Firearms Licence. Application process available on the NZ Police web site. IIRC, $25. Valid for 1yr.
Don't know about the return to Aus. Probably best to contact Custom/Border Protection/whatever they call themselves now.
Proud member of "the powerful gun lobby" of Australia :)
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Supaduke » 12 Feb 2019, 10:08 pm

Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 13 Feb 2019, 6:32 am

Deleted
Last edited by Gamerancher on 14 Feb 2019, 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 13 Feb 2019, 12:01 pm

sammyc wrote:Heading to NZ for a hunt in April. So much confusion about what permits I need. Defense export control is saying that a restricted goods permit will be fine for exit and re entry back into Australia.

Thanks
Sammy

Do a search for "border protection notice 2015/40"
B709 not required. Make sure you have a copy of that document because there a some CBP personnel who know nothing of it.
Export/Import is administered, largely, by Customs/Border Protection. Best port of call is with them. It'll probably take some time, but make sure you diarize all your calls and the name of person with whom you communicated.
You will also need to get approval from whichever airline you use, to permit the checked baggage of a firearm and any ammunition. Again, you will need to have a print copy in case of any "issues".
The roar - reds or Sika?
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 16 Feb 2019, 12:03 am

bladeracer wrote:
sammyc wrote:Heading to NZ for a hunt in April. So much confusion about what permits I need. Defence export control is saying that a restricted goods permit will be fine for exit and re entry back into Australia.

Thanks
Sammy

Are you taking firearms or ammo with you?
B709 is for importation, which should not apply if you are taking a firearm and bringing it back.

But you do have to "import" your own gun back into the country, at least we did when I travelled to NZ (along with about 600 other aussies lol) for an IPSC regional chjampionship...we definitely had to obtain B709s

And not sure in FAR is exactly right there; they were definitely stamped by them as we were re-entering NSW with guns/ammo. Also this was back in 2013 maybe things have changed.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 16 Feb 2019, 1:15 am

A lot has happened since 2013.
My most international recent travel was mid 2016, at which time a B709A was NOT required to re-import.
The link to the 2015/40 document (issued 15th December 2015) is not currently available - web site maintenance until 09:00hr Sun 17th.
Please read it, save it, and keep a copy in your travel doc's.
You WILL need documentation to prove that it was owned by you in Australia (your registration document for that firearm. If you are issued with a list, as in QLD, you require the complete list, not an extract from it) and anything else that Border Protection advise that you need.
Time is of the essence - contact them SOON.
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 16 Feb 2019, 8:05 am

Interesting, thanks for the info :thumbsup:

And who ever thought the regs could get a bit less onerous lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by No1_49er » 16 Feb 2019, 9:26 am

With a bit more luck, maybe the ITAR Reg's (22 CFR Part 123) will be updated as well.
When they do, the floodgates will open for all those restoration projects :clap:
No1_49er
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by zhuk » 17 Feb 2019, 4:19 am

No1_49er wrote:With a bit more luck, maybe the ITAR Reg's (22 CFR Part 123) will be updated as well.
When they do, the floodgates will open for all those restoration projects :clap:

I've heard that's potentially a thing, would be awesome. I'm attempting to source a CZ trigger atm, and trying to organise with a friend to get his Canadian mate to bring one from the US when he comes over for the IPSC Nats in a couple of weeks. Actually being able to import the bloody thing myself would be a lot easier lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by sammyc » 17 Feb 2019, 11:36 am

Thanks for the replies.
Ill be taking my 7mm rem mag and ammo.
For the Red Roar

Ive got a emails from fire arms reg saying that B709 isnt required for A and B class rifles.

And ive also got email from Defence export control that all I need is a restricted goods permit for both exit and entry into Australia.

Its a full on maze trying to figure this s**t out.

Thanks again!
sammyc
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Ozzymozzy » 20 May 2021, 8:27 pm

B709a.. i live im qld,where does it get sent to once apprproved? Myself, or the gun shop brokering the deal as the gun shop is where i applied. Appreciate any feedback. P.s the firearm its self is to be released from a popular online dealer in brisbane.
Ozzymozzy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 21 May 2021, 8:20 am

Ozzymozzy wrote:B709a.. i live im qld,where does it get sent to once apprproved? Myself, or the gun shop brokering the deal as the gun shop is where i applied. Appreciate any feedback. P.s the firearm its self is to be released from a popular online dealer in brisbane.

The B709 will go to whomever is specified on it.
Whoever collects the firearm from Border Gorce will need the original.
BF will release it to a dealer, then the dealer can transfer it to you via PtA.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to National gun laws - Australian Federal gun laws