Pigs and Federal Powershok 243.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Pigs and Federal Powershok 243.

Post by Cal-ApeR » 10 Feb 2019, 5:52 pm

Gents, seeking a bit of advice on the Federal Powershok 100gr in 243. BLUE BOX STUFF.

I'm taking my 243 with me on an upcoming hunt as a back up rifle. Expecting pigs and possible fallow. 308 is my go to but always like taking a backup.

Anyway about a year or so ago I was given 2 X boxes of federal Powershok in 80gr and 100gr. Turned out it shoots quite well in my 243. Instead of doing up loads I was thinking of using this stuff up on the trip instead.

Question is - is this stuff suitable for my application? I know heart/lung shots will be fine on fallow deer with it but unsure how it would perform on pigs. (Yes I understand shooting behind the ear will quickly put it to sleep but I'm talking about penetration and bone etc on longer shots).

Should I bite bullet and load up a few Barnes and nosler bt or will this work ok? Looking for people with experience with this stuff on pigs if possible. Thanks in advance.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Pigs and Federal Powershok 243.

Post by Blr243 » 10 Feb 2019, 7:18 pm

I think it will be totally fine
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 11 Feb 2019, 6:20 pm

When in doubt, science:

https://www.ballisticstudies.com/Knowle ... ester.html

It’s a long article, I personally think well worth the read but you can get away with just the beginning and the end. For what it’s worth this article (and the fact that they shoot well from my rifle) is why I use the 243 factory load that I do (which in my case is the 95g ballistic silvertips)

Incidentally this guy’s stuff is well worth a read more generally. It helps that he’s a kiwi (never thought I’d say that) so much of the stuff he discusses are products we can actually get.

Edit: sorry, I’ve just realised that the 100g blue box stuff is one federal load he doesn’t specifically address. Bugger.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by deanp100 » 11 Feb 2019, 6:48 pm

As long as you shoot it in the pig it will be fine. As good as anything. Don’t overthink it .
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Feb 2019, 7:51 pm

nathan fosters terminal ballistic research is a wealth of information . based on what i have heard and read i would stay away from nosler BT's and use the 100 gn powershocks if they shoot well . JMHO
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 11 Feb 2019, 10:01 pm

Cheers fellas. Yeah the blue box seems to group reasonably well. I definitely over think it but always try to use reasonably good projectiles so I minimise my chances of losing any animal.

Curious Bigrich, what have you heard about the 95gr nosler BT? I've never had a problem between it and the 85gr gameking. Mainly use both with no problem.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 4:48 am

Cal-ApeR wrote:Cheers fellas. Yeah the blue box seems to group reasonably well. I definitely over think it but always try to use reasonably good projectiles so I minimise my chances of losing any animal.

Curious Bigrich, what have you heard about the 95gr nosler BT? I've never had a problem between it and the 85gr gameking. Mainly use both with no problem.

Well, at this point it’s hypothetical. I’ve got fantastic groups out of my 6.5 with the BT’s , but on a lot of forums and some of the folks that write about ballistic’s seem to have the opinion that the BT’s are a bit to frangiable when they hit “solid” bone like a shoulder. Shot placement is more critical. So “they “say . I’m playing it safe in my reloads by using the soft point partitions which expand well but hang together better. Maybe i’m Overthinking things, but I want humane one shot kills if possible. The BT I would reserve for goats and lighter game . I’ve seen the effects of different projectiles on goats, so far pigs have been elusive. If you do try the BT let me know how these perform on the pigs. Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Feb 2019, 12:12 pm

I'm with you all the way bigrich. One shot humane kills are always the go. If there is a better way of doing it then I certainly want to try these options out. As I said, I'd never had failures with the nosler BT, is quite stout and works on medium size pigs are treat. We do tend to overlook simple sort points nowadays. Mainly due to marketing hype I guess. In my case here, I've never used these blue box on hunts before and can't find much about it on pigs. Will see how I go. It's a backup rifle anyway so might not even get used.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 3:25 pm

So you’ve had good results with the Nosler BT’s mate ? What projectile weight, caliber, and game were you using them on ? Tell me more.....
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 12 Feb 2019, 3:34 pm

As long as the nut behind the trigger is working properly they go fine. I'd use them more often but ppu is cheaper and I'm a tight arse !!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:
(Should add I mostly neck shoot at ranges <120m :drinks: )
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 12 Feb 2019, 4:40 pm

bigrich wrote:nathan fosters terminal ballistic research is a wealth of information . based on what i have heard and read i would stay away from nosler BT's and use the 100 gn powershocks if they shoot well . JMHO

not sure if you have read or heard bad reviews from nathan foster about the nosler bt this is a couple of quote's out of what he has written about the 243

"Federal’s 95 grain Ballistic Tip is the same bullet as used in the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip load differing only in the black Lubalox coating used by Winchester Olin. As previously mentioned, this is an excellent light medium game bullet producing incredibly violent internal wounds."

"Nosler produce the most versatile projectiles for .243 users. The 90 and 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullets already mentioned are both violent, fast killing bullets ideal for lighter medium game."

although I do agree with you bigrich that nathan fosters terminal ballistic research can be a wealth of information to new guy's for learning about tweaking rifle's he does contradict himself from what he writes online and in his books to what he says at time's, he is a salesman IMHO :unknown:
go onto his forum and ask a question to be told to buy his books :thumbsdown: or see the new guy's get put down for not knowing whats in his books word for word :lol: I really got a laugh a long time ago when a new guy got a blast from his suckholes then told them what he was saying was straight out of one of his books :lol: :lol: then posted a picture of the page :lol: :lol:

I have to agree with deanp100
"As long as you shoot it in the pig it will be fine. As good as anything. Don’t overthink it ."
:thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:
Last edited by marksman on 12 Feb 2019, 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Feb 2019, 4:45 pm

Daddybang wrote:As long as the nut behind the trigger is working properly they go fine. I'd use them more often but ppu is cheaper and I'm a tight arse !!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

the ppu's aren't bad either though are they Daddybang :drinks:

if you want 1 shot humane kills just do it like Daddybang, shoot em in the neck :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Feb 2019, 5:47 pm

You won't need the 243 - the 308 will do the job fine.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 6:34 pm

marksman wrote:
bigrich wrote:nathan fosters terminal ballistic research is a wealth of information . based on what i have heard and read i would stay away from nosler BT's and use the 100 gn powershocks if they shoot well . JMHO

not sure if you have read or heard bad reviews from nathan foster about the nosler bt this is a couple of quote's out of what he has written about the 243

"Federal’s 95 grain Ballistic Tip is the same bullet as used in the Winchester Ballistic Silvertip load differing only in the black Lubalox coating used by Winchester Olin. As previously mentioned, this is an excellent light medium game bullet producing incredibly violent internal wounds."

"Nosler produce the most versatile projectiles for .243 users. The 90 and 95 grain Ballistic Tip bullets already mentioned are both violent, fast killing bullets ideal for lighter medium game."

although I do agree with you bigrich that nathan fosters terminal ballistic research can be a wealth of information to new guy's for learning about tweaking rifle's he does contradict himself from what he writes online and in his books to what he says at time's, he is a salesman IMHO :unknown:
go onto his forum and ask a question to be told to buy his books :thumbsdown: or see the new guy's get put down for not knowing whats in his books word for word :lol: I really got a laugh a long time ago when a new guy got a blast from his suckholes then told them what he was saying was straight out of one of his books :lol: :lol: then posted a picture of the page :lol: :lol:

I have to agree with deanp100
"As long as you shoot it in the pig it will be fine. As good as anything. Don’t overthink it ."
:thumbsup: :drinks: :drinks:

yeah, probably overthinking/being cautious , apparently in times past, the BT's , according to some yank forums had a disposition to fly to bits on solid shoulder bones . this was coming from hunters with first hand experience ( i do take online opinions with a grain of salt ), supposedly nosler have rectified the problem of too light a bullet jacket. i've got awsome accuracy out of these in my 6.5 swede at 2950 FPS with 120 gn, but bin thinking to play it safe with 125gn partitions . if you fellas reckon the BT's have worked well for you, i might go back to them and give 'em a try. just don't want to risk a wounded animal off in the bush due to bullet "blow up " there is a lot of useful info on nathan's site , and i have seen references to "go buy my books " . ;) i don't think much of some of his "klingons" behaviour from what you've said . ah well, it takes all kinds i guess :D one thing about this ballistics game, ya never stop leaning and it's never dull :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 12 Feb 2019, 7:21 pm

There is an old topic on this forum regarding v max that are sposed to fragment on impact according to a gun shop salesman the post was mainly saying don’t believe everything u hear. A bloke from this forum tested them shooting through 7 mm plate and recovered some of the projectiles. The results reported were the plate had holes in it and the lead was relatively intact. I’m a big v max fan the results surprised me
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 12 Feb 2019, 8:05 pm

Yes, sorry bigrich, I have used them with success. My tikka loves/loved them (barrel is a little worn now, gotta search for the lands a bit more). Have only used in 243 and hit several fallow, breaking few bone on a couple of occasions with no problem. Have hit pigs too but nothing big. From my understanding there are nosler ballistic tips in both varmint and hunting variety. I've never used the varmints as VMAX are my go-to. Perhaps people weren't using the correct projectiles for the correct purpose.

I also agree, 308 should remove the need for my 243 but you never know. Had a trip a long time ago where the scope crapped out and I didn't take a backup. Trip ended prematurely.... Never again.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 12 Feb 2019, 8:17 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Yes, sorry bigrich, I have used them with success. My tikka loves/loved them (barrel is a little worn now, gotta search for the lands a bit more). Have only used in 243 and hit several fallow, breaking few bone on a couple of occasions with no problem. Have hit pigs too but nothing big. From my understanding there are nosler ballistic tips in both varmint and hunting variety. I've never used the varmints as VMAX are my go-to. Perhaps people weren't using the correct projectiles for the correct purpose.

I also agree, 308 should remove the need for my 243 but you never know. Had a trip a long time ago where the scope crapped out and I didn't take a backup. Trip ended prematurely.... Never again.

no need to be sorry mate, that's good news cause BT'S shoot great in my rifle :D nothing wrong with the 243 either....... :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Daddybang » 13 Feb 2019, 10:02 am

marksman wrote:
Daddybang wrote:As long as the nut behind the trigger is working properly they go fine. I'd use them more often but ppu is cheaper and I'm a tight arse !!! :lol: :thumbsup: :drinks:

the ppu's aren't bad either though are they Daddybang :drinks:

if you want 1 shot humane kills just do it like Daddybang, shoot em in the neck :thumbsup:

Yep I've started using ppu in my CFs exclusively and can't fault them. They do leave a bit of sh@t in the barrel but ya gotta clean it anyway :lol: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 13 Feb 2019, 1:33 pm

I've got no problem with ppu, like the brass for the price. Shoots horribly in this firearm though. Do agree, dirty suckers!
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Pythonkeeper » 20 Apr 2019, 9:40 am

I use this exact round for pigs and it’s more than enough to stop even the biggest brutes. I’ve also used it for red stags and get full pass throughs, shoulder to shoulder, drop on the spot, and a few of these shots were at over 200 metres, so in answer to your question it will be 100% fine....
Pythonkeeper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Apr 2019, 8:39 pm

Blr243 wrote:There is an old topic on this forum regarding v max that are sposed to fragment on impact according to a gun shop salesman the post was mainly saying don’t believe everything u hear. A bloke from this forum tested them shooting through 7 mm plate and recovered some of the projectiles. The results reported were the plate had holes in it and the lead was relatively intact. I’m a big v max fan the results surprised me

I used Hornady 87gn Interlocks for a long time, but they are hard to find, or perhaps not made any more in 6mm (I see them in other calibres). I have not seen any for yonks. Given the info surprised by Hornady, they are advertised as a varmint cartridge really, so I have kept away from this for this reason. I switched over to 90gn Speer for my next lot of reloads. For a pig load, either works very well. I doubt the 100gn Federal will be much different.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 29 Apr 2019, 4:33 pm

The PPU's go alright through the Tikka 243, just leaves the barrel a bit more dirty but as Daddybang mentions, ya gotta clean it anyway.
I found them not as accurate as reloads, hey no surprise there and if they were I wouldn't worry about reloading.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 29 Apr 2019, 10:13 pm

Thanks for feedback. Also picked up some of the same stuff in 80gr. Shoots under half inch so I'm keen to hit some smaller porkies with them too.

RJ, I'm keen to try those Speer, definitely underrated in my opinion. Speer always go good for me.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey