Problems with browning dura-touch stocks

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Problems with browning dura-touch stocks

Post by ChunkyCharcoal » 08 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm

Hi all,

I've been seriously considering the purchase of a new browning X-bolt with a synthetic stock, most likely the Hell's canyon speed. My dad owns a BLR and an A-bolt which have been absolutely faultless in the almost 10 years he's owned them, in which I've probably used them both more often than he has, so I'm very fond of browning rifles.

I had my heart set on making this purchase until someone mentioned that dura-touch coated stocks have a tendency to "peel" and the plastic turns "sticky" after say 2+ years.

I've done some searches on Google and found a number of posts on American forums detailing issues that people have had with browning guns that have dura-touch finished stocks. Most of the guns mentioned were manufactured between 2005 to 2011, from what I can gather, and are all located in America.

So my question is, has anyone here in Aus got a browning with the issues detailed above and does anyone know if these issues are occurring in later model brownings with dura-touch synthetic stocks?

Thanks!
ChunkyCharcoal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Problems with browning dura-touch stocks

Post by Kumaabear » 12 Feb 2019, 7:54 am

I think a lot of the issues people have with finishes like dura-touch come either from not cleaning them of hand oils after using them or from wiping the stocks with solvent or oil.

I believe they specifically say in the manual that you need to keep gun cleaning chemicals away from the stock, at the same time you need to make sure that oils from your skin are cleaned off id say a very mild dilution of dish soap and water with a damp cloth being careful to dry it after.

I am personally not a big fan of any soft touch finish on anything, I have never had a great experience with them long term on any product tho I have never had a rifle with it.

If I was going to put so much care into looking after a finish on a stock then id be tempted to get something pretty in wood instead.
Kumaabear
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Problems with browning dura-touch stocks

Post by MJW380 » 12 Feb 2019, 8:28 pm

Had a mate who had a X-Bolt .233, the stock had a carbon fibre look grey pattern on it, long story short the stock wasn’t durable at all, every bump no matter how small would result in some finish coming off, it bothered him that much that he ended up moving it along before it got too bad.
MJW380
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Centerfire rifles