Still waiting for the PTA (online) after a week. Normal?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Still waiting for the PTA (online) after a week. Normal?

Post by thunderbird » 30 Jan 2019, 4:33 pm

Submitted the PTA online on 24 Jan, status is still being processed. Just wonder how long does it take normally? It is not my first PTA (got a 9mm pistol a few years ago). I thought it should be no delay (no 28 days cooling off) for the non-first PTA? Or it needs 28 days because I am getting a rim fire pistol this time? Or simply just because police is slow? :lol:
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Still waiting for the PTA (online) after a week. Normal?

Post by deye243 » 30 Jan 2019, 10:59 pm

thunderbird wrote:Submitted the PTA online on 24 Jan, status is still being processed. Just wonder how long does it take normally? It is not my first PTA (got a 9mm pistol a few years ago). I thought it should be no delay (no 28 days cooling off) for the non-first PTA? Or it needs 28 days because I am getting a rim fire pistol this time? Or simply just because police is slow? :lol:

Now those last four last words ....... they are law in Melbourne
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 31 Jan 2019, 8:37 am

Your having a laugh, yeah ? Add in Aust day and a day to recover from that (if they did not actually extend the weekend a couple of days with "owed time" + the dead brain cells that now impede the office staff from the obligatory Aust day celebrations - hell - you might as well have put it in yesterday....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by thunderbird » 12 Feb 2019, 10:11 am

Updates: after 3 weeks, the PTA application is still in process...OMG. Call the firearm registry and be told due to the work load, just wait......:-(
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 13 Feb 2019, 8:37 am

thunderbird wrote:Updates: after 3 weeks, the PTA application is still in process...OMG. Call the firearm registry and be told due to the work load, just wait......:-(

I put in my first PTA's (NSW ) 3 days after you thunderbird and still have a week and a half cooling off - let us know how your situation progresses.

What category were yours? ..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 13 Feb 2019, 9:47 am

The FAR is a joke.
My first lot of PTA's were bang on the 28 day waiting period till issued, but the in took 4 weeks for them to turn up in the mail.

I'm waiting for another one now. I applied and it was issued in a few days but now it's been 2 and a half weeks since issue and it still hasn't shown up in the mail box yet.
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 17 Feb 2019, 7:27 pm

Finally the PTA is issued, but not sure how long it is gonna take to show up in the mail box.
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 17 Feb 2019, 7:49 pm

Hey t-bird
I put one in for a cat a on Friday late at night (the 8th) and had it in the mail on Friday the 15th a week later.
I’m also in NSW and talking with other blokes this seems to be the norm at the moment.
Dunno what happened with yours :unknown:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 18 Feb 2019, 2:42 pm

Thanks Chappo. My one is cat H. Maybe that is the reason?
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 19 Feb 2019, 5:16 am

My last longarm PTA was one week from lodgement to receipt, handgun took 6 weeks (both online)

So a definite difference.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by thunderbird » 24 Feb 2019, 5:41 pm

Update: The PTA arrived on Friday (22 Feb) - one week after being issued.
thunderbird
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Diddums » 25 Feb 2019, 2:39 pm

Lucky for you,
Diddums
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 15 Apr 2019, 1:07 pm

PTA lodged on the 7/4
PTA on their web site status issued on the 9/4
PTA in my hand 15/4
Next we need to start lobbying for the return of PTA by email do away with Snail mail would be cheaper for them too
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Archie » 15 Apr 2019, 3:25 pm

I believe they do them in batches. Wait till they've got a stack and run them through the system. Then when they have a stack of approvals they print a bunch and get the mail away. I've had them turn up in a week, and then in a month.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 26 Apr 2019, 11:33 am

My first PTA (Cat-A) took exactly 28 days from application to being issued (from 26/2 to 28/3) and then less than a week to turn up in the mail (I'm in Sydney). I was impressed after my 4-months wait on my license.

Then I lodged my Cat-B PTA on 12/4. IIRC Cat-A and B are considered the same thing for the cooling off so there should be none for me. Nonetheless it's 26/4 and still being processed. What's you guys' experience?

BTW, Both PTA app were online (from RMS web site)

Maybe they do it like Archie said, in batch, to save labour. In that case I agree with pomemax. If you already have an online system why bother with the darn mail...
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 26 Apr 2019, 3:31 pm

lionet wrote:My first PTA (Cat-A) took exactly 28 days from application to being issued (from 26/2 to 28/3) and then less than a week to turn up in the mail (I'm in Sydney). I was impressed after my 4-months wait on my license.

Then I lodged my Cat-B PTA on 12/4. IIRC Cat-A and B are considered the same thing for the cooling off so there should be none for me. Nonetheless it's 26/4 and still being processed. What's you guys' experience?

BTW, Both PTA app were online (from RMS web site)

Maybe they do it like Archie said, in batch, to save labour. In that case I agree with pomemax. If you already have an online system why bother with the darn mail...

Pretty much the same here mate first cat A issued on day 29. First Cat B applied for 2 weeks later and issued on its respective day 29. I have a second cat A in process which I applied for on 1 April but it hasn't moved (its day 29 will be this Sunday).

I have a feeling the waiting period is contingent on you actually "owning" a firearm in the required category not just having a PTA issued for one.

I filled those first two PTAs within a week of receiving them, but I'm yet to receive a registration certificate for either gun suggesting that they're not yet listed on FAR's computer as being mine.

Given the above, and that the third PTA looks like it will run out the "waiting period" too I'm thinking the registry hasn't caught up with itself to regard me as being in possession of firearms.

If we assume the waiting period exists so that someone with evil intentions is forced to think about things for a month before they can access a gun then I guess it makes sense that its only the fact that you demonstrably have immediate access to one (ie have one registered in your name) which would inspire the registry to regard the waiting period as moot.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and they're just slow as f*** :unknown:
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 30 Apr 2019, 1:26 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Pretty much the same here mate first cat A issued on day 29. First Cat B applied for 2 weeks later and issued on its respective day 29. I have a second cat A in process which I applied for on 1 April but it hasn't moved (its day 29 will be this Sunday).

I have a feeling the waiting period is contingent on you actually "owning" a firearm in the required category not just having a PTA issued for one.

I filled those first two PTAs within a week of receiving them, but I'm yet to receive a registration certificate for either gun suggesting that they're not yet listed on FAR's computer as being mine.

Given the above, and that the third PTA looks like it will run out the "waiting period" too I'm thinking the registry hasn't caught up with itself to regard me as being in possession of firearms.

If we assume the waiting period exists so that someone with evil intentions is forced to think about things for a month before they can access a gun then I guess it makes sense that its only the fact that you demonstrably have immediate access to one (ie have one registered in your name) which would inspire the registry to regard the waiting period as moot.

Or maybe I'm over thinking it and they're just slow as f*** :unknown:

Hi Steve,

I think you made very solid points there. From their website statement:
https://www.police.nsw.gov.au/services/firearms/faqs?a=245148 wrote:Second and subsequent PTA's for the same type of firearm as one already registered to you or registered to you in the 90 days prior to making your application - no waiting period applies

Now that I read it more carefully, it does state that you have to own, or previously own in 90 days, the same type of firearm as the new PTA application, not just the PTA. But it's still unclear about the point of time that defines 'registered to you'. Does it count as soon as I filled my PTA and get hold of my rifle, or does it count from the official registration paper is received, which according to the lad who sold me the rifle, could take 2 months.

I don't know if there's a way to check my own firearms possession status online. For security reasons that might not seem to be a good idea anyway. If not then I guess we'll know if and when we get another PTA after receiving our official registration certificates.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 01 May 2019, 8:24 am

Your rego papers should take about 3 weeks to turn up, no where near 2 months
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 01 May 2019, 7:47 pm

zhuk wrote:Your rego papers should take about 3 weeks to turn up, no where near 2 months

You're right mate. It arrived today, took exactly 3.5 weeks. :thumbsup:
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by zhuk » 01 May 2019, 10:15 pm

Nice one :)

About one thing which is predicatable with FAR, though their rego accuracy has a bit of poetic licence sometimes heh so pays to check the details, calibre etc. Also amusing seeing how they take a wild stab at guessing Cyrillic characters on Mosin serial numbers lol
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 06 May 2019, 2:27 pm

Well maybe someday I could try importing one from my home country, such as the Type-88 precision rifle. You'd think Cyrillic character is alien, wait till you see some Chinese :) Surely that'd wrack their IT system.

BTW now is some while after receiving my first REGO of my Cat-A rifle but the second PTA for Cat-B is still at a pending state, 3 weeks in already.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 06 May 2019, 2:40 pm

lionet wrote:BTW now is some while after receiving my first REGO of my Cat-A rifle but the second PTA for Cat-B is still at a pending state, 3 weeks in already.

My 3rd PTA got approved last monday and my first rego arrived on the thursday. All three PTAs were issued on day 29-30. So while it doesn't prove anything as far as what FAR actually require to free you from the waiting period it does look like they're consistently getting them out within a month.
I reckon yours will get issued this week sometime.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 11 May 2019, 12:01 am

Steve you're right. My second PTA is Issued today on the 10/5, with an issued date set at 12/05 (as shown on the website), which is two days later. I don't know if it's norm or a mistake. But that doesn't bother me as long as it turn up in the mail.
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 01 Jul 2019, 2:13 pm

Just a random question. Do PTAs update on NSW Firearms Registry throughout the week, or only on Saturday mornings?
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Jul 2019, 3:07 pm

throughout I’m sure .. my first came thru on a Tuesday (2x Cat A and 1x Cat B) and my most recent was on a Thursday (Cat A).

They both came thru a day ahead of when they became valid (as if you’d get the paper in mail within 24 hours)..
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 01 Jul 2019, 3:10 pm

Legend, cheers! So they can update at any time then. That's good news.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws