Putting new handles on old knives etc...

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Putting new handles on old knives etc...

Post by Ecobogan » 15 Feb 2019, 8:32 pm

Mate this is quite frustrating.... I just loaded the pics....the ones that would load anyway.
Hit submit and it told me the file was invalid and WIPED THE LOT!!! I'll try again but this caper always requires someone with the 'can upload pics' gene.
Give me either a minute or 6 months.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

Screenshot_20190215-214306_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20190215-214306_Google.jpg (65.34 KiB) Viewed 2728 times

This is all you need to do
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 16 Feb 2019, 12:56 pm

IMG_20190214_162248.jpg
Roughly cut out with angle grinder
IMG_20190214_162248.jpg (2 MiB) Viewed 2702 times
IMG_20190214_162017.jpg
Drill hole for tang
IMG_20190214_162017.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2702 times
IMG_20190214_161757.jpg
Sheet metal with concave hammered in
IMG_20190214_161757.jpg (1.86 MiB) Viewed 2702 times
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 16 Feb 2019, 1:11 pm

These are the only pics I could upload. Unfortunately some important steps had to be left out and I forgot to put them in reverse order.
Anyway Stix, get a piece of hardwood and draw a 40mm circle on the end grain. Using the round pein end of a ball pein hammer, beat a concave dish shape 40mm round using your 40mm circle as a guide....go about 5-6mm deep in the centre.
This is the 'die' if you like. Draw a 30 mm circle on the sheet metal, place it over the wooden concave die and, while holding the sheet metal firmly with vice grips or similar, beat the sheet metal into the timber concave.
The reason for the 40mm die is so you'll end up with a bigger dish than you need and can be pruned down to size.
Not sure why these 3 pics are the only ones that'd upload... took about 10 shots!
Hope this is clear. I've had trouble uploading pics online before...seems to be hit n miss... I'll get my girlfriend to have a go when she gets in.
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Ecobogan » 21 Feb 2019, 9:05 am

Screenshot_20190221-100213.png
Here's the indented timber die
Screenshot_20190221-100213.png (942.12 KiB) Viewed 2672 times
Any progress mate?
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 21 Feb 2019, 8:53 pm

Thanks Pete & Eco...

Great pics Eco--very helpful...!!! :drinks:

So in the schematic pic posted by Pete...all logic tells me that the "peen block" is going to be the end cap ive peened out...yes...?

Im not sure the wood will take a good punishment to completely peen it out...so i may resort to the tack weld as sugessted earlier & grind flat.

Any tips for the bolster plate...just flat, tack welded to the tang & finished flush with timber (like a recoil pad on a shotti)...?

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 21 Feb 2019, 9:18 pm

Dont weld it to the tang,you'll ruin the temper at a critical point. Make the hole for the tang slightly small the tap it on with a hammer and a bit of pipe for a tight friction fit.
Peening on sword pommels was usually done before fitting the handle.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 8:12 pm

bigpete wrote:Dont weld it to the tang,you'll ruin the temper at a critical point. Make the hole for the tang slightly small the tap it on with a hammer and a bit of pipe for a tight friction fit.

Sounds like good advice...cheers Pete...!!

Ill have to search for the right size pipe...being in the building industry i have a lot of pvc & copper pipe that wont stand up to much 'tapping', but not much steel pipe that will be thin enough for this handle...but a farmer i know will have something im sure...

I obviously cant peen on the pommel (i had to google what a 'pommel' was... :lol: ) before the handlle, given blade... :)

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 22 Feb 2019, 8:17 pm

Stix wrote:
bigpete wrote:Dont weld it to the tang,you'll ruin the temper at a critical point. Make the hole for the tang slightly small the tap it on with a hammer and a bit of pipe for a tight friction fit.

Sounds like good advice...cheers Pete...!!

Ill have to search for the right size pipe...being in the building industry i have a lot of pvc & copper pipe that wont stand up to much 'tapping', but not much steel pipe that will be thin enough for this handle...but a farmer i know will have something im sure...

I obviously cant peen on the pommel (i had to google what a 'pommel' was... :lol: ) before the handlle, given blade... :)

Actually...so we are on the same page...i assume by the 'pommel' you are reffering to the cap at the rear of the handle & not the the front (im assuming the front is the 'bolster plate')
:D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 22 Feb 2019, 11:42 pm

If Bigpete means not welding the forward bolster plate to the tang then that's right for sure, def don't do that for reasons he mentioned.
Tell me if this is what you meant Bigpete...make the forward bolster plate (not the pommel?) a tight fit on the tang at the biggest most forward point, a few mil back say, and get a piece of pipe that's longer than the handle. With the blade held firmly in the vice with tang pointing upwards slide the bolster plate on till it gets tight and hammer it home using the pipe as a drift. Sound about good?
That's prob how I'd run it then slide or tap the epoxy loaded handle on next.
It'd be hilarious mate if after that long-windedness you replied with a simple Nup.

Anyway Stix, without making this a full house career move still have a crack at peening the butt plate/ pommel on, looks much better and the girls will love it.
Pete's diagram is probably an easier way than folding the tang over but will have to be done with the front end of the blade well supported. Again vertically in the vice.
You'll be a black belt in this caper when she's done
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 23 Feb 2019, 8:25 am

Ecobogan wrote:If Bigpete means not welding the forward bolster plate to the tang then that's right for sure, def don't do that for reasons he mentioned.
Tell me if this is what you meant Bigpete...make the forward bolster plate (not the pommel?) a tight fit on the tang at the biggest most forward point, a few mil back say, and get a piece of pipe that's longer than the handle. With the blade held firmly in the vice with tang pointing upwards slide the bolster plate on till it gets tight and hammer it home using the pipe as a drift. Sound about good?
It'd be hilarious mate if after that long-windedness you replied with a simple Nup.

Anyway Stix, without making this a full house career move still have a crack at peening the butt plate/ pommel on, looks much better and the girls will love it.
Excellent...!! Ill be stoked with just one girl, but 2 or more...YAY...!! :lol:
Pete's diagram is probably an easier way than folding the tang over but will have to be done with the front end of the blade well supported. Again vertically in the vice.
Yep no worries...

Im looking forward to giving it a crack...!!

What you're asking/assuming about Pete's post is what i assume too ecobogan...thats why i asked my last question for clarification.

& speaking of questions...is it worth a little dob of epoxy on the inside (wood handle side) of the bolster plate & end cap/pommel...? :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 23 Feb 2019, 8:40 am

Yes that's what I mean
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Ecobogan » 23 Feb 2019, 9:51 am

Stix wrote:
Ecobogan wrote:If Bigpete means not welding the forward bolster plate to the tang then that's right for sure, def don't do that for reasons he mentioned.

Excellent...!! Ill be stoked with just one girl, but 2 or more...YAY...!! :lol:
Yep no worries...

Im looking forward to giving it a crack...!!

What you're asking/assuming about Pete's post is what i assume too ecobogan...thats why i asked my last question for clarification.

& speaking of questions...is it worth a little dob of epoxy on the inside (wood handle side) of the bolster plate & end cap/pommel...? :unknown:

Definitely epoxy inside the handle, bolster plate and pommel. Give the tang a few shallow scores with an angle grinder cut off wheel too, will help key the tang to the handle.
Prob not essential but will help.
And the peen block is the butt plate/pommel as you asked.
Game on!
Ecobogan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation