I made a mistake in NSW PTA applicationn

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

I made a mistake in NSW PTA applicationn

Post by rookie » 27 Jan 2019, 8:19 am

Hi guys,

I've just submitted my first NSW PTAs (3).

1. Rimfire
2. Centrefire
3. Shotgun

On application 2, on the question "Do other licence holders store firearms at this address?" I marked yes, when it should have been no (like I did on the other two applications).

Do you guys have any advice whether I should do anything / if I can do anything? I was going to call FAR on Tuesday?

I've already put a deposit down on a rimfire, so really want application 1 to go through and hoping 2 doesn't stuff it up.

Cheers.
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: I made a mistake in NSW PTA applicationn

Post by Daddybang » 28 Jan 2019, 7:58 am

Should be a simple fix . ring ya far as soon as possible and explain the situation and they should be able to sort it for ya :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 28 Jan 2019, 11:44 am

I think they would love corrections to ensure they have the right info Just tell them. Nothing to worry about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Archie » 28 Jan 2019, 11:50 am

I would expect a visit from the AFP, probably with the bomb squad in tow. Likely they will be carrying a death warrant signed by the Queen.

Nah it'll be all good. They're actually very reasonable most of the time. Might need to put in a new application though, but as the others said, just call and ask.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 28 Jan 2019, 6:15 pm

Thanks fellas,

It does sound like your experience is that NSW FAR are reasonable - I mean, if we could fix an error and save everyone involved more work, waiting and possibly money, I’m sure they’d be onboard.

But these days with it all becoming electronic, I just don’t know if they have the same flexibility as they would’ve with paper based applications... this was my reason for asking if anyone has had to do a correction in this ‘digital’ way of doing things

I’ll give them a call - worse case they have to reject it and I’m up for another $30 .. but I’d rather they reject it now and we get it sorted than wait the 28 days ... (I wasn’t sure if I should leave it if it’s an inconsequential question .. but you’ve convinced me otherwise)

Will let you know what they say

Hope everyone has enjoyed their Australia Day weekend! Bloody brilliant
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 26 Feb 2019, 11:47 am

To follow-up on my last message - I did call the FAR the next morning and after trying a few times got through.

The lady I spoke to couldn't make any changes to the application, so had to escalate it to someone higher.

I was advised that if they needed to get back to me, someone would call in the next 10 working days and it would come from a "Caller-ID blocked" number so look out for it.

Over the last 4 weeks I didn't get a call from them and overnight the PTAs were approved - 30 days from the date of the online applications ..

Pretty good :thumbsup:

Hopefully AustPost can get it here quicky
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 26 Feb 2019, 3:42 pm

rookie wrote:Hopefully AustPost can get it here quicky

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Sorry rookie couldn't help myself!!!
Genuinely good to hear ya got ya pta's approved but wouldn't hold out hope that Australia post will do anything quick!!!! :lol: :lol: :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rookie » 27 Feb 2019, 12:13 am

:D Thanks dB - I’ve had such a good run with the initial licence application and now these PTAs I’ve probably just jinxed it :lol: ..

I’m trying to avoid being cynical - sydney can do that to a guy, so shooting (target / clays) has been great therapy so far :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 27 Feb 2019, 8:15 am

Yeah I can see how the cities could do that mate!! :drinks: :drinks: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by rookie » 05 Mar 2019, 9:53 am

PTA's came through with ~6 days postage from FAR ... so that made it 36 days from permit application to receipt for first Cat A + B PTAs :thumbsup:

There's nothing in them to indicate whether the question I answered incorrectly on the application was taken into consideration or not ...

So, moral of the story .. I don't think advising them by phone made a difference to the processing time.

When I called, they noted down my phone call against it somewhere and escalated to a manager, who didn't call me to say it was an issue.

I'm probably glad I did call them and if it's an issue later at least there is some history that I tried :thumbsup:
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to New South Wales gun laws