New and getting started.

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

New and getting started.

Post by Austwave » 11 Mar 2019, 11:39 am

Hey guys a bit new to the hunting game, well its been a long time and was never really into it when younger more of a fisherman.
Just got my NSW licence sorted and have put a deposit on a Tikka light 223 in 1:8. The PTA is in believe its up to 6 week processing time in NSW.
A bit unsure of a scope was originally looking at a Leapold Vx3 in 3.5-10 X 40 but a couple of mates have told me to go higher mag.
I am planning to be hunting in the south of the state as i'm from down that way and have relatives down there most of the land as I recollect is fairly heavily scrubbed. so thought the 10X would be adequate.
Looking to make my way up to deer eventually so will be after a suitable calibre later either 270, 308 or 7mm 08 but thought the 223 was a better option to start with for foxes cats and maybe the odd goats while i get up to speed.
Looking to get my R licence to give me a few more options.
Looking for to having some input into the site and obtaining some wisdom from the crew.

Regards
Craig
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: New and getting started.

Post by Archie » 11 Mar 2019, 12:35 pm

It depends a little on what you mean by scrub, but, rule of thumb - do not go to a higher mag. I honestly reckon anything over 10 times on a hunting rifle is just goading you into shots you shouldn't take. If you're picking a mountain goat off a ridgeline a kilometre away, maybe. But I doubt it.

Really tho, the problem is not how high your scope goes, its that as your upper magnification goes up then usually your lower end magnification goes up as well (outside of ridiculously expensive high end scopes). You are usually trying to put a hole in an area around the size of a saucer, not nail a fly, and if the mag is too high in scrub, one of two things will happen:

1/ You'll see the animal, raise the rifle to your shoulder and not be able to find the animal because your field of view is too small an angle and your natural point of aim wasn't absolutely dead on. And in the scrub you'll just get a circle full of leaves and by the time you figure out where the thing is, its gone.
2/ Up close, you'll see the animal, raise the rifle to your shoulder and if you do get lucky and find the animal you will get a circle full of fur and not be able to tell which bit you are aiming at. Makes for poor shot placement.

I reckon you'll spend much more time with the scope turned to 3.5 than 10. I usually have regretted getting higher mag scopes. I have a 4x12 on a varmint rifle that works well but its a varmint rifle. I have a 3.5 x 10 on a 243 that is alright, just, but I wish could go lower, and 3-9 scope on a deer rifle that I should have saved money on and got something with a lower bound closer to 1 or 2, and I'd have had more success if I had done.

The less important reason, and this varies between people, is that some people shoot more accurately at lower magnifications because the inevitable wobble doesn't put them off.
Last edited by Archie on 11 Mar 2019, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Mar 2019, 12:37 pm

Good work starting with a 223, ammo is cheap and you need to practice. Get some shooting sticks or a bipod and practice lying down or seated. You will find the 10x scope has plenty of magnification but if you buy one with more magnification you can always wind it back if you find it hard to locate your target. Good luck with your very accurate Tikka, well bought.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Mar 2019, 12:40 pm

FWIW I like a compact 1-4x scope in the sticks! Save the high-powered stuff for the range.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Daddybang » 11 Mar 2019, 3:11 pm

Archie wrote:It depends a little on what you mean by scrub, but, rule of thumb - do not go to a higher mag. I honestly reckon anything over 10 times on a hunting rifle is just goading you into shots you shouldn't take. If you're picking a mountain goat off a ridgeline a kilometre away, maybe. But I doubt it.

Really tho, the problem is not how high your scope goes, its that as your upper magnification goes up then usually your lower end magnification goes up as well (outside of ridiculously expensive high end scopes). You are usually trying to put a hole in an area around the size of a saucer, not nail a fly, and if the mag is too high in scrub, one of two things will happen:

1/ You'll see the animal, raise the rifle to your shoulder and not be able to find the animal because your field of view is too small an angle and your natural point of aim wasn't absolutely dead on. And in the scrub you'll just get a circle full of leaves and by the time you figure out where the thing is, its gone.
2/ Up close, you'll see the animal, raise the rifle to your shoulder and if you do get lucky and find the animal you will get a circle full of fur and not be able to tell which bit you are aiming at. Makes for poor shot placement.

I reckon you'll spend much more time with the scope turned to 3.5 than 10. I usually have regretted getting higher mag scopes. I have a 4x12 on a varmint rifle that works well but its a varmint rifle. I have a 3.5 x 10 on a 243 that is alright, just, but I wish could go lower, and 3-9 scope on a deer rifle that I should have saved money on and got something with a lower bound closer to 1 or 2, and I'd have had more success if I had done.

The less important reason, and this varies between people, is that some people shoot more accurately at lower magnifications because the inevitable wobble doesn't put them off.

in2anity wrote:FWIW I like a compact 1-4x scope in the sticks! Save the high-powered stuff for the range.

Both of these▲▲▲▲▲ :thumbsup: :drinks:
I don't have anything over 3-9x and and never been in a situation in the scrub where I thought "I need more magnification". :thumbsup: :drinks:
This hard living ain't as easy as it used to be!!!
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 11 Mar 2019, 5:37 pm

on ya deer rifle you could look at a 2-7x33 leupold if your shots aren't over 200 . cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Mar 2019, 6:57 pm

3-9 is as high as you need to go for general hunting. Mine mostly sit on 3 or 4 mag. There is a lot to be said for the old 4 x 40 for general hunting. Goats/pigs/deer
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Mar 2019, 7:17 pm

Daddybang wrote:
Archie wrote:It depends a little on what you mean by scrub, but, rule of thumb - do not go to a higher mag. I honestly reckon anything over 10 times on a hunting rifle is just goading you into shots you shouldn't take. If you're picking a mountain goat off a ridgeline a kilometre away, maybe. But I doubt it.

in2anity wrote:FWIW I like a compact 1-4x scope in the sticks! Save the high-powered stuff for the range.

Both of these▲▲▲▲▲ :thumbsup: :drinks:
I don't have anything over 3-9x and and never been in a situation in the scrub where I thought "I need more magnification". :thumbsup: :drinks:

Could you headshot a rabbit at 200m with a 9x ?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Austwave » 11 Mar 2019, 7:37 pm

Thanks guys it seems like a bit of clarification on my initial thoughts.
Was looking at a CZ 455 in .22 as a bunny come plinking, practice rifle either that or a ruger american
Austwave
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 11 Mar 2019, 7:41 pm

I agree with comments above. For a rifle to be carried in the field, and used in close quarters, then lower magnification is king in my experience. Because of this, I have a 1-6 on my BLR for pigs and a 2-12 on my Tikka for longer range stuff. Unless I have a rest, I would not go past 4 power on either. A quick rest leaning on a still upright tree, putting fore-end hand on the trunk and holding the rifle in a bit of a bridge will see me use 6 power, but no more. Any magnification over this requires a good rest for me to use.

As Archie mentions above, target acquisition is much easier with lower magnification, as your field of view is greater. On a moving target in the bush, this is very important in my experience. I would not be going any higher than what you intend. If budget allows it, I would even try and get a 2 power at the low end. Different on a dedicated varmint rifle of course.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by solarpak » 11 Mar 2019, 9:13 pm

Austwave,
some excellent tips from other forum users....
On a hunting rifle (like your 223 , 243, 308, 270 etc....) a good quality 3-9 , 2.5-10 or 4-12 is probably ideal with an objective lens diameter from 40-50mm. Whether you opt for a 1-inch or 30mm tube is up tp you .
Just buy something with a lifetime warranty which if something does go wrong, they will replace it no-hassles.....

For your 22 LR - a good fixed 6x is spot-on in my books!

Enjoy the sport !
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 11 Mar 2019, 11:45 pm

I have the Vx3i Leupold on my Tikka .243 and I have never wished for more magnification. I think it is a good all round choice, particularly on a hunting rifle that you will be carrying around in the bush. If you were doing long range varminting from a fixed position then there is an argument for more magnification. But if that isn’t you the extra dollars and weight aren’t worth it for a more powerful scope.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Mar 2019, 12:25 am

Austwave wrote:Thanks guys it seems like a bit of clarification on my initial thoughts.
Was looking at a CZ 455 in .22 as a bunny come plinking, practice rifle either that or a ruger american

Just throwing this out there as a possible;
Your tikka 223 will be able to shoot pretty light pills as well as heavy ones.
Perhaps in lieu of getting a .22 in the short term, look at getting quick release mounts and two similar but different scopes...?

I have watched a friend change scopes on his 222 (roo shooting to rabbit) and retain the same horizontal zero and one shot to recover his vertical. I was mightily impressed!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2019, 9:25 am

Could you headshot a rabbit at 200m with a 9x ?[/quote]

Never had the opportunity to take a shot at anything at 200 in the type of country described by the op :D
However I can put rnds into the 80cent cans of diced tomatoes at that distance with the scope on the 243 set at 6x(see the reactivate target thread) so I'd be fairly confident.
:thumbsup: :drinks:

Austwave wrote:Thanks guys it seems like a bit of clarification on my initial thoughts.

A set 4 or 6 would be plenty. :thumbsup: :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 9:27 am

Im a fan of more magnificatiin.
You can acquire scopes that are not heavy but offer greater high end magnificatiin....such as 3-15, 4-16 etc.
( i actually have a 2.5-15 but there is basically NO shift from 2.5X-3X)

The bulk & type of terrain you cover & the species you are mostly targeting, along with the shots you take will play a part in your decision.

I love chasing foxes n bunnies, with the occasional flurry on goats & the bulk of the terrain i cover is mostly open.
So the 4-16 on my walkabout is fine on goats in close quarters with both eyes open, & i can lay down & zoom right in on a bunny's head 250+ yds out.

Higher mag will also benefit you when testing ammo & trying to shoot tighter groups/target shooting.

There isnt a wrong answer...but there are many opinions.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Daddybang » 12 Mar 2019, 9:39 am

Stix wrote:I

The bulk & type of terrain you cover & the species you are mostly targeting, along with the shots you take will play a part in your decision.

This▲▲▲▲ :thumbsup:
I think most of us read "heavily scrubbed" and based our advice accordingly. :drinks:
As ya say stix no right or wrong just advice and opinions
:D :drinks:
Daddybang
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 12 Mar 2019, 10:04 am

Daddybang wrote:
Stix wrote:I

This▲▲▲▲ :thumbsup:
I think most of us read "heavily scrubbed" and based our advice accordingly. :drinks:
As ya say stix no right or wrong just advice and opinions
:D :drinks:

Yep for sure...
Just thought id mention my like for higher mag though...
Reason being, "heavily scrubbed" areas, like opinions, can differ greatly.

Ones definition of heavy scrub can differ too...there are areas of scrub that are so heavy you'd be better served to hunt with a rock in each hand...
While there are slso heavily scrubbed (wooded) eucalypt forest type terrain with sections of heavy undergrowth where you may have to thread a needle so to speak--i mean 150 yd shots with only head or shouldor showing through trunks...in this instance higher mag helps me to shoot tighter & to see any branches etc that may be in the flight path...

I head shot a goat off my knee couple years ago in a gorge--very heavily wooded & steep terrain...
It was facing the other way & i could only see the goats head & part of its bum...
I dont like the texas heart shot so i head shot it at 120 yds sitting down resting on my knee...absolutely NO WAY id have the confidence for that shot on 4x-6x...
The extra mag (i took the shot on 16x) also showed how much the heart was racing so i could take a min to calm the hell down & get an effective shot away... :lol:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 12 Mar 2019, 7:48 pm

Stix wrote:
I head shot a goat off my knee couple years ago in a gorge--very heavily wooded & steep terrain...
It was facing the other way & i could only see the goats head & part of its bum...
I dont like the texas heart shot so i head shot it at 120 yds sitting down resting on my knee...absolutely NO WAY id have the confidence for that shot on 4x-6x...
The extra mag (i took the shot on 16x) also showed how much the heart was racing so i could take a min to calm the hell down & get an effective shot away... :lol:

Perfectly example of how each of us can prefer something different. The is no way I would attempt that shot on anything more than 6. Most probably 4 or 5 would be about right with a hasty rest.

Field of view is the biggest factor for me in the tight scrub, especially when after pigs. I reckon on many occasions you get two seconds for a shot, no longer. When hunting like this, I like to have a big field of view in the scope, and anything more than 2 power is a hindrance. My 1-6 is better than my old 2-7 in this regard.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by booomr » 16 Mar 2019, 7:09 pm

I have a 6-24x50 on my .223, and it's absolute overkill. TBH - I only got it because I picked it up on the cheap from a mate, and when I'm hunting, it's only on somewhere between 6 or 10. I'll be buying a 3-9x soon (though the 6-24 has been nice at the range when shooting paper).
Howa 1500 .223 Varmint
Dickinson T1000 12g Synthetic 28"
Bergara B14 Ridge .308 in McMillan TACA3
booomr
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 16 Mar 2019, 7:25 pm

im with stix , you can always turn it down. i have a 3x15 down on 5 or 6 for hunting but you may need to dial it up at times and lets face it your going to use it when you shoot paper :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 17 Mar 2019, 1:35 pm

I have recently put a 6-18x50 meopta on my Howa .223 and took it out spotlighting for the first time last night. Had it on 8x power all night and nailed 3 foxes at between 100-150 meters. Very crisp clear vision under the lights and had no worries quickly getting the fine crosshair lined up. So I could've really gone the 4-12 meopta, but the extra mag is nice while shooting pieces of paper on the farm.
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by axio » 01 Apr 2019, 3:33 pm

Mine is 4-16x

4x when walking around
16x when confirming zero at the range

Works well and don't really use anything in between
axio
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 02 Apr 2019, 2:02 am

a mate recently put me onto Tac Vector Optics and for $250 I put a 3-15x50 on my 300win, great scope and hopefully see some donkeys soon... but yeah, my 2 cents is go the venerable 270 over the 308 for hunting, flatter shooting and I buy ammo around the $25 a Pack mark, better for longer shots hunting too less holdover.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2019, 6:59 am

flutch wrote:a mate recently put me onto Tac Vector Optics and for $250 I put a 3-15x50 on my 300win, great scope and hopefully see some donkeys soon... but yeah, my 2 cents is go the venerable 270 over the 308 for hunting, flatter shooting and I buy ammo around the $25 a Pack mark, better for longer shots hunting too less holdover.

Do you mean the 270WSM?

I agree the WSM case is an awesome design.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 02 Apr 2019, 10:47 am

SCJ429 wrote:
flutch wrote:a mate recently put me onto Tac Vector Optics and for $250 I put a 3-15x50 on my 300win, great scope and hopefully see some donkeys soon... but yeah, my 2 cents is go the venerable 270 over the 308 for hunting, flatter shooting and I buy ammo around the $25 a Pack mark, better for longer shots hunting too less holdover.

Do you mean the 270WSM?

I agree the WSM case is an awesome design.

no mate, I cant stand WSM's usually just trading out a perfectly good cartridge for one that doesn't mag feed and has less muzzle energy (prime example is the 300wsm). stick to common stuff when starting out... plenty of ammo wherever you go, tried and tested, good knowledge base etc.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Apr 2019, 8:18 pm

The 300 WSM has less muzzle velocity than a 30/06? What action has problems feeding the WSM from a magazine?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 10:39 am

SCJ429 wrote:The 300 WSM has less muzzle velocity than a 30/06? What action has problems feeding the WSM from a magazine?

plenty have issues with mag feed on WSM's also, lower mag capacity, but no I never mentioned the '06. I mentioned the 300win... with more case capacity and muzzle energy.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Apr 2019, 6:40 pm

My bad, you are comparing the 300 WSM with a 300 Win Mag? There cannot be much difference in the muzzle energy between the two.

I have a Wincherster M70 that uses the WSM case and it feeds quite well. I have not heard of feed problems before.

All in all the WSM is a very good case design which is very capable and accurate. The short fat powder column is in line with modern design and guys are getting good results using it.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by flutch » 03 Apr 2019, 8:08 pm

SCJ429 wrote:My bad, you are comparing the 300 WSM with a 300 Win Mag? There cannot be much difference in the muzzle energy between the two.

I have a Wincherster M70 that uses the WSM case and it feeds quite well. I have not heard of feed problems before.

All in all the WSM is a very good case design which is very capable and accurate. The short fat powder column is in line with modern design and guys are getting good results using it.

not for everyone however, good example 9 out of 10 gun shops in my area wouldn't have ammo and if you're out of it it would be a month+ wait for more... whereas can walk into any of them and instantly have a whole range of 300win, 270win and the likes.... that and im not a part of this latest hipster short action trend. I can drop more with my 270 as a long action than most of my mates with their short action 308's. Plus I guess if youre only playing around with smaller projectiles then you wont miss the avg extra 15 grains of powder... but if you're pushing big pills you definitely will, there is a reason the 300 weatherby and 300rum exist. Oh and the cost, I can get a 300win from pretty much any rifle manufacturer in all levels of their production from entry level to elite, and the ammo costs a mere $40 or less a pack, snowballs chance in hell of matching that in a 300WSM.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Apr 2019, 9:05 pm

I understand about being practical but if we were all practical we would shoot 223 and 308. Where is the fun in that when you could double the fun and shoot the 300 RUM even if it costs much more and you have to reload.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles