Motley Fool investor advice

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Motley Fool investor advice

Post by Roo farmer » 10 Mar 2019, 9:09 pm

Has anyone paid up for a subscription to the investment advice from Motley Fool?

Is it any good? Worth the money?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Motley Fool investor advice

Post by Roo farmer » 11 Mar 2019, 6:09 am

Found a fair few bad reviews on the internet.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 11 Mar 2019, 6:21 am

If you need advice on what to invest in as distinct from how to invest then my advice is don't.
That places you at the very bottom of the pyramid and you are supplying the money to be made by those further up in the scheme.
For bedtime reading I suggest researching the adventures of Mr. Rivkin.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Wm.Traynor » 11 Mar 2019, 10:22 am

After using MF for some years, I Do Not recommend them.
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 14 Mar 2019, 9:39 am

IMO just the same old brokers. I have read their free content for a few years, and you can see over time they get their share of things wrong the same as all the rest.

I'm not bagging them as such, worth reading for another perspective, but personally I wouldn't go the paid option.

If you're not familiar with it already, check out Livewire Markets (free to sign up to read). Quite a few highly regarded contributors there, and it's more about strategy, lines of thinking etc. rather than just 'this is a buy' or 'this is a sell'.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Bill » 14 Mar 2019, 11:45 am

No better than a coin toss.

Better off doing your own research, look at their history, revenue stream but most of all management.

Their ain't no short cut to wealth creation.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 14 Mar 2019, 12:45 pm

I've always done well researching and picking my own stocks, with the exception of a few different funds I picked through an employer retirement account. So one time I saw this article from the Fool as I recall and I thought well I'll see what the experts do and picked two of their must buy stocks. Well to this day they have been the worst performing two stocks I own even in what has been an up market for five years. One pays ok dividends so at this point I'll just hold them until they go back up someday and then sell.

Three good picks I made was when the iron ore market dropped and bought in on Rio Tinto, BHP and Fortescue. Those all have done very well for me including nice dividends.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 1:10 pm

Have a read / listen to the 10 year Warren buffet bet.
He bet 1 million dollars to any charity, that he could outperform any brokerage firm in NY, over 10 years by throwing a dart at 20 diff stocks and just holding 1 stock for 10 years.

One firm challenged him and after year 3, buffet was not looking good when financial crisis hit and broker firm sold out and reboufht....but 7 years later, his one stock had absolutely killed the broker firms who challenged him by something like 30% better...

When interviews were done with brokerage firm ceo - he literally said, we are pretty much guessing. Buffet was right, but we have a living to make....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 14 Mar 2019, 4:18 pm

No it goes into the heart of the matter. The are two questions

what are stocks?
What is the stock price of a company actually related to?

When you answer both questions you suddenly realize it's all fiction and basically lotto or gambling... even worse than horse racing
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Mar 2019, 4:43 pm

For me, the only stocks I buy are Blue ribbon stocks that pay dividends, and I always re invest those dividends.

I'll never use pimply faced brokers to make decisions on my behalf, nor would I take their advice. They take too many risks because they're not playing with their own money.

I'm working towards this diversification strategy.

No more than 5% In any 1 stock
No more than 20% In any 1 sector
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Mar 2019, 5:35 pm

A simple but effective strategy - dollar cost averaging.
Your not gunna get rich, but it WILL help minimise any losses.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimmyS » 14 Mar 2019, 6:27 pm

Half your holdings in "Buy & Hold" and re-invest dividends so your holdings continue to increase - and eventually take them out in cash for income.
Half your holdings in "High Growth" a fund that focuses on the increase of Capital, or just the general market - as the market always trends up.
You can tweak it, 40 - 60, 20 - 80 depending on your situation.
JimmyS
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by CrackThump » 15 Mar 2019, 4:11 pm

When will people learn, the only SAFE investment is gold or silver bullion under your mattress or in your SAFE .. Sheesh, dont you guys ever watch conspiracy youtube videos.? Everything else can be wiped out with an EMP and what about the zombie appocalypse.??? What good are your stocls then.??

Pass me my tinfoil hat please....
CrackThump
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Bruiser64 » 17 Mar 2019, 11:10 am

TassieTiger wrote:A simple but effective strategy - dollar cost averaging.
Your not gunna get rich, but it WILL help minimise any losses.

This is an excellent strategy in my opinion. It is essentially what most people do with their superannuation. I did read an interview with Warren Buffet where he discussed what he would recommend as a strategy for his wife when he died. Which was to stick the money in an index fund. I used to do a job where I provided education about financial investments and investment concepts. It wasn’t advice, it was just information. My experience was people should avoid consumer credit as much as they can. Buy your own home and pay it off. Take an active interest in your super fund and stick it in a fund with low fees. Put extra into your super as Soon as you start work. The younger you start saving and investing the longer you have to let compounding work. In a nutshell, pay yourself first. Live within your means. Don’t get divorced.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 19 Mar 2019, 7:49 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, I think I'll give the paid subscription a miss.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation