Storing Semi Auto 'Action Broken'

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Storing Semi Auto 'Action Broken'

Post by Macross » 14 Mar 2019, 4:43 pm

Half way through my 6 month probation and starting to scope out things in a bit more detail in preparation for first PTA :D

I note that Cat H requires firearms to be stored "Unloaded, with the bolt removed or the action broken". What does action broken mean for a semi auto pistol. Slide lock removed and slide detached from the frame?

If so, what do you guys do for storage options inside your safe? How do you stop your safe looking like a box full of gun parts? And once you have a number of firearms, how do you manage all the bits and pieces of said broken actions rolling around in there?

Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Storing Semi Auto 'Action Broken'

Post by Chinballs » 14 Mar 2019, 8:02 pm

It just means the slide locked back, nothing more.

Personally, I don't bother, and have never had an issue during an inspection.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by JSS » 15 Mar 2019, 7:24 am

Same as Chinballs
I don't bother either nor do i personally know anybody who does. Same goes for my revolvers, they are stored with closed actions/cylinders.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 15 Mar 2019, 7:32 am

Ahh right. So I guess this stipulation is more for rifles etc. It just didn't make sense to me to have to have the pistol either disassembled or locked open which would have all the springs under tension the whole time.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Chinballs » 15 Mar 2019, 11:23 am

Macross wrote:Ahh right. So I guess this stipulation is more for rifles etc. It just didn't make sense to me to have to have the pistol either disassembled or locked open which would have all the springs under tension the whole time.

No, the act says it applies to Cat H as well.

As for springs being under tension, what does it matter? Springs wear out from repeated compression and decompression, leaving the slide locked open won't have any affect on your springs.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers