Howa varmint real life use

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Re: Howa varmint real life use

Post by in2anity » 14 Mar 2019, 7:45 pm

PCHammond wrote:I'm tossing up between a Howa 1500 in 223 and a T3x Varmint.

This thread is making it real hard to ignore the Howa...

Tikka hands down - like comparing a Hyandai to a BMW
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Mar 2019, 9:19 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Big fella, you just wanted to show off then!

He bought a sporter but is now thinking of a varmint 223. Win win.

No just some of us do know Howa rifles real well and speak from real life experience using em not just waffling on about something they read somewhere about em :D

If you are young and fit the weight won't be an issue, if you ain't the weight will get to you after a while, hence the recommendation to go something lighter that will still get the job done fine out in the paddock and out the window of the ute too. :drinks:

Oh if you are wondering how they shoot they shoot just fine. :D

3 shots in the larger hole and 1 in the single hole - not bad for factory ammo :lol:

3 shots in the larger hole and 1 in the single hole - a different brand of factory ammo :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 Mar 2019, 10:52 pm

Nice work mate. Good shooting.

PCHAMMOND - owned a tikka before buying a Howa. Both shot well but the tikka was slightly more accurate and much smoother bolt . Trigger was very crisp too. The Howa was bought new for a great price. It suffered from a crappy trigger though. They have improved significantly since then. It copped a beating and I didn't feel bad. The $900 difference in cost had me being way too protective of the tikka. Babied it too much.

Both get the job done well. If cost was an issue, I'd definitely recommend the Howa, especially over the cheap line ups of today, i.e Ruger American, remember 783 etc. If mid range budget, you'd be very happy with a tikka. Big budget would have me buying Sako any day. The Howa to me is a tool that does the job well. Look after it and you can't go wrong. I convinced my mate to go this way. Can't go wrong
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Mar 2019, 9:10 am

Cal,
I only own and use 2 Howas with varmint barrels so I only have half the real life experience with them :allegedly:

i only have the bog standard Hogue rubber stocks on them so they're ugly brutes to look at but the triggers are an easy fix, even for a home handyman... back out one screw, snip off half to a full coil off another spring and you've got a much smoother lighter trigger. there's tons of videos on youtube and others.

and they shoot for what they are. my 308 and 223 at 100 yards, 3 shot groups.
Attachments
IMG_0266 (002).jpg
IMG_0266 (002).jpg (17.85 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
IMG_0287 (3).jpg
IMG_0287 (3).jpg (23.48 KiB) Viewed 3497 times
Member-Deleted

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Mar 2019, 10:41 am

They go alright the ol Howas hey Skeet. My Tikka doesn't even come close to shooting like my Howas with factory ammo sadly, having said that I've only tried the one projectile weight and brand so hoping something will shoot in it better (I will reload for it) hopefully that will see it improve a bit too but in all honesty it doesn't really worry me as it's only got to shoot minute of pig or deer and their target areas a good 6" or so and it shoots around 1/3 that so all good for now.

What I do like about my Tikka is it's light, nice and easy to walk the hills with (I wouldn't even dream of taking any of my Howas on those sorts of hunts, way too heavy for me to hall up and down the hills.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cal-ApeR » 15 Mar 2019, 12:43 pm

Ah, love a dead pig. Yeah very true big fella. Weight is definitely nice on tikka.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by PCHammond » 15 Mar 2019, 4:50 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Nice work mate. Good shooting.

PCHAMMOND - owned a tikka before buying a Howa. Both shot well but the tikka was slightly more accurate and much smoother bolt . Trigger was very crisp too. The Howa was bought new for a great price. It suffered from a crappy trigger though. They have improved significantly since then. It copped a beating and I didn't feel bad. The $900 difference in cost had me being way too protective of the tikka. Babied it too much.

Both get the job done well. If cost was an issue, I'd definitely recommend the Howa, especially over the cheap line ups of today, i.e Ruger American, remember 783 etc. If mid range budget, you'd be very happy with a tikka. Big budget would have me buying Sako any day. The Howa to me is a tool that does the job well. Look after it and you can't go wrong. I convinced my mate to go this way. Can't go wrong

I completely understand this.

I know the Tikka would be better, but for the price of a Tikka you can get a Howa in a chassis. But on the other hand, a Tikka is a Tikka and I could choose to improve it in the future too. For the price difference between the Tikka and the Howa, I could improve the glass by alot though. And threads like this showing how good the Howa groups makes it real difficult!
PCHammond
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 19 Mar 2019, 9:31 pm

100_3589.JPG
100_3589.JPG (757.12 KiB) Viewed 3342 times
If yer mate is thinking heavy, he can come and carry mine for a while,,,,,,,,,,, :lol:
I have a non fluted varmint Howa in 22/250,,,,,,, and believe me it's a "sit,,,,,,,,,, wait,,,,,,,,,,, and,,,,,,,, snipe rifle.

Love it to bits,,,,, but F@ck me it's heavy.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 19 Mar 2019, 10:17 pm

That HOWA looks a lot better than my effort with a paint tin.In 22/250 it would have some reach as well
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 19 Mar 2019, 10:20 pm

duncan61 wrote:That HOWA looks a lot better than my effort with a paint tin.In 22/250 it would have some reach as well

It's a bloody good cal I reckon, it certainly smacks em hard and at long ranges too, I love that real thump sound when it hits home :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 19 Mar 2019, 11:42 pm

One of my adjoining properties when I did roo culling were keen on me cleaning up their block and the nephew turned up to show me around the area.He bought along his 22/250 man he could get from a long way but I would venture it made twice the bang my softloaded .222 did
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Mar 2019, 6:56 am

duncan61 wrote:One of my adjoining properties when I did roo culling were keen on me cleaning up their block and the nephew turned up to show me around the area.He bought along his 22/250 man he could get from a long way but I would venture it made twice the bang my softloaded .222 did

Yeah she's running quite a bit more powder so it stands to reason she goes off with a good bang :D I like the little 222 it's a nice mild cal to shoot and gets the job done very well within it's limits but the 22/250 really lets you tag stuff way out yonder with good authority, I can happily shoot the 222 without ear muffs but not keen on doing so with the 22/250 well not for long anyway. :lol:

The good ol earsplitloudenboomer as I call it. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2019, 4:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

I call it "ROATS" mate,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reach Out And Touch Something

:lol:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Mar 2019, 4:36 pm

duncan61 wrote:That HOWA looks a lot better than my effort with a paint tin.In 22/250 it would have some reach as well

The camo on the stainless barrel etc. is that "stretch and stick to itself" fabric.
Good stuff, and cheap to boot. :thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Mar 2019, 6:01 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

I call it "ROATS" mate,,,,,,,,,,,,

Reach Out And Touch Something

:lol:

:lol: :lol: I like it, they sure can smack em at long distances alright, I remember red misting a fox at 260 odd metres one night, it looked like a firecracker went off behind it with the blood spray :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 23 Mar 2019, 3:04 am

The difference in price between a Howa and a Tikka can buy an awful lot of ammunition to sort out the idiosyncrasies of the Howa. I don't own Howa, I have a CZ but my brother has Howa and it is great value for the money. It's a Varmint model and it is a beast to carry and to shoot offhand. From a rest it is a laser.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Previous

Return to Centerfire rifles