What is the benchmark for 'reasonable' pistol marksmanship?

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

What is the benchmark for 'reasonable' pistol marksmanship?

Post by goat » 16 Mar 2019, 8:02 pm

Hi All

Ive had my Cat H for around 2 years now but been pretty busy so haven't been able to commit the time i would like to for various reasons. Things are freeing up now and im looking to improve my skills. Is there any accepted standards for shooting that i can refer to in an effort to understand where i am at and as an incentive to improve? Obviously time, distance etc play a part.

Ive mainly been punching paper at 25m at my own pace to gain familiarity and experience but i would like to get into service to start with and like the look of IPSC down the track. It would be nice to know the skill level require to competitively participate though.

Any/all advice welcome

Thanks
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: What is the benchmark for 'reasonable' pistol marksmansh

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Mar 2019, 1:41 pm

G'day goat,
Seeing as no one else has answered, I will throw my 2 cents in. First off, there is no such thing as an "acceptable standard" for pistol shooting other than not spraying them all over the range. Nor is there any "level" at which you should attain before becoming involved in any form of competition. All target shooting pistol. rifle or shotgun should be seen as a competition against yourself only, and you should seek to attain or exceed your last Personal Best at whatever form of comp you try. Attaining that is a matter of time on the range and undertaking instruction from a high level shooter with an open mind to what you are being taught. Try stance types, and if you are using an auto try thumb high (aka Straight Thumb) as well as thumb over, and practice grip and trigger control at home of an evening. In time you will see your scores improve, and one day you may win a medal or two, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by goat » 17 Mar 2019, 2:46 pm

1mb.png
1mb.png (1.04 MiB) Viewed 6913 times

Thanks No1Mk3 for the reply, ill keep plugging away. Here is 10 rounds at 25m last time i was at the range.
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 17 Mar 2019, 5:57 pm

http://is-lan.com/challenge/images/Pist ... ection.pdf try shooting at this may be able to help.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 18 Mar 2019, 9:36 am

goat wrote:Hi All

Ive had my Cat H for around 2 years now but been pretty busy so haven't been able to commit the time i would like to for various reasons. Things are freeing up now and im looking to improve my skills. Is there any accepted standards for shooting that i can refer to in an effort to understand where i am at and as an incentive to improve? Obviously time, distance etc play a part.

Ive mainly been punching paper at 25m at my own pace to gain familiarity and experience but i would like to get into service to start with and like the look of IPSC down the track. It would be nice to know the skill level require to competitively participate though.

Any/all advice welcome

Thanks

All of my pistol shooting has been IPSC, although I did do an ISSF (I think anyway, stand there and shoot one-handed at stationary targets with a huge time limit) shoot once for a required attendance when I was working in the Kimberley.

IPSC is more about the speed of identifying your target, and finding a sight picture, than it is about pure accuracy. The group you posted is certainly in the ballpark for IPSC, but I don't know what sort of groups are being shot in target shooting. IPSC is a continual juggle of speed and accuracy, both being dependent on your own abilities. If your accuracy sucks then you shoot the course slower to get a higher point score. The only way to improve is by putting lots and lots of rounds down range.

Personally, I'd suggest going along and getting into it rather than waiting until you're "competitive". Competition itself will make you competitive, and it's more fun than getting into any sport that you're already excellent at, there's no challenge in that. As a newbie it's easy, and rewarding, to see your abilities improving regularly. Once you get good at it, it becomes much, much harder to improve.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by SillyWetTas » 24 Mar 2019, 6:04 am

I would say you have two bad shots there . The 5 and the 7.
If you move your sights you have them all in the 9 ring apart from those 2. That's dam good shooting you just have to work on avoiding the other 2
SillyWetTas
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by goat » 24 Mar 2019, 8:37 am

Thanks all for the advice. Went back to St Marys for a bit of practice yesterday. Man, it was busy. There was a pistol comp on i was told and end of reporting year probably keeps things busy.

Anyway im looking for a club that does dynamic shooting comps. I like St Marys for range time a lot but i wonder bout the limitations of being inside for ipsc/issf or similar.

Would much appreciate any feedback on St Marys or other clubs.
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 24 Mar 2019, 10:51 am

If you can shoot 2-3 inch groups at 25 meters I think that's pretty good. If you can do 5-6 inches then that is probably reasonable.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by goat » 24 Mar 2019, 11:31 am

Thanks Waneroo. Im thereabouts most days then.
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Mar 2019, 2:32 pm

goat wrote:Thanks all for the advice. Went back to St Marys for a bit of practice yesterday. Man, it was busy. There was a pistol comp on i was told and end of reporting year probably keeps things busy.

Anyway im looking for a club that does dynamic shooting comps. I like St Marys for range time a lot but i wonder bout the limitations of being inside for ipsc/issf or similar.

Would much appreciate any feedback on St Marys or other clubs.

Just got back from ST Mary,s they said 619 there yesterday
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Mar 2019, 5:00 pm

@Goat, did you shoot the Precision Pistol match yesterday?
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gunnnie » 24 Mar 2019, 5:52 pm

Goat, as others have said, it's more of a competing against yourself. It is a continuous skill improvement whereby you learn, test & adjust as you learn more, are shown/taught more then apply. The results will show on the target.
Even in competition, you are competing against yourself, as well as others.
20190323_182922.jpg
20190323_182922.jpg (1.6 MiB) Viewed 6727 times

The image is from yesterday's range session with a new to me Taurus Tracker 6.5" 357Mag. I use 158gn moderate loads & the distance 10m as I wasn't sure of the sights.
This is good accuracy by my standards. I also put 7rds into another target, same style, at 15M & managed to keep all in the outer red circle. With more trigger time & familiarity I should be able to tighten things up more.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by goat » 24 Mar 2019, 6:36 pm

Thanks for the advice Gunnie, That is a nice looking wheel gun you have there.

@brett1868 I didnt shoot the match, just a bit of practice. I am thinking about joining SMPC though.
goat
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 24 Mar 2019, 8:53 pm

goat wrote:Thanks for the advice Gunnie, That is a nice looking wheel gun you have there.

@brett1868 I didnt shoot the match, just a bit of practice. I am thinking about joining SMPC though.

Probably a good idea no to have shot that match, I think we had just over 120 shooters attend over 3hrs. Pomemax and myself are both members of SMPC as are a few others on this forum. Quite a good club and plenty of competitions to choose from.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 26 Mar 2019, 2:39 pm

brett1868 wrote:
goat wrote:Thanks for the advice Gunnie, That is a nice looking wheel gun you have there.

Probably a good idea no to have shot that match, I think we had just over 120 shooters attend over 3hrs. Pomemax and myself are both members of SMPC as are a few others on this forum. Quite a good club and plenty of competitions to choose from.

Yupwe have a few SMPC members here.

The club runs about 40-50 comps per calendar month, there is pretty much something on ever single day of the week, both during business hours and after hours.

IPSC is a bit linear due to the indoor range but it is still fun to do. Other action matches revolve around service pistol and silhouette.
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 26 Mar 2019, 10:12 pm

I went to the range this morning for a quiet shoot.
Bullsh@@ at 10:10 the line was out to the car park I forgot it was silly season ( end of reporting year).could not be bothered with rifle then to many blokes needing attendances .
So while I was there I done the precision shoot on range D man they were getting through them quick .
I was off the range shot rim fire and centerfire and out by 10 :40 the front counter was working at a pace the range officer on D was in hyper mode all working well .
I think I was at the bottom of the second page when i signed on at 25 past and on range at 10;30 .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Wylie27 » 27 Mar 2019, 6:26 am

Pomemax,

I have no idea why rifle shooters cannot organise four shoots in a year without leaving it to the last minute.. its 1 shoot every 3 months. I had mine done by May last year. My accountant would have been in that group.. he always leaves it to the last minute..

Beginning of April, I am going to take all my rifles down and just plink away. The other Brett got his Cat A/B so it will be a rifle day..
Wylie27
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 27 Mar 2019, 10:29 am

By end of April last year I had 2 club pistol shoots done 3 hunting rifle 1 target and 2 pistol shoots in my own time It dont take to long eh
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 04 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

Simple answer:

250/500 is a reasonable score.

If you can consistently do that or better, it’s an acceptable standard.

What are you currently scoring?
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2019, 4:18 pm

bullzeye wrote:Simple answer:

Without knowing what targets you're shooting at, or how they're scored, 250/500 means nothing at all to me.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by zhuk » 06 Apr 2019, 5:22 am

That accuracy is perfectly acceptable for IPSC, but as has been said speed is the other main factor so being able to shoot a good slow group will count against you score wise when it comes to hit factor overall. But that is how you start off in any case, you will get faster with time if your accuracy is good to start with.

In my case, I had almost nil proper training and practice for the first 3 years I was shooting IPSC so have had to spend the years since trying to undo bad habits, actually learn properly and try to claw back some kind of accuracy. Ie the opposite of the way you ought to learn lol

But you look like you're on the right track, definitely.
zhuk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bullzeye » 07 Apr 2019, 8:43 am

bladeracer wrote:
bullzeye wrote:Simple answer:

Without knowing what targets you're shooting at, or how they're scored, 250/500 means nothing at all to me.

Check his second picture.

Standard Cat H competition shoots are 50 rounds, either single or double handed, either rimfire or centrefire - and usually at 25m.

Top shooters do around 450/500

Average shooters 200/500 is respectable.

250/500 is a decent score.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by johnboy357 » 23 Aug 2020, 5:50 pm

If you can hit a phone booth shooting from the inside,with the door closed, you are good to go for IPSC. Its not called pray and spray for nothing.
johnboy357
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 23 Aug 2020, 6:25 pm

johnboy357 wrote:If you can hit a phone booth shooting from the inside,with the door closed, you are good to go for IPSC. Its not called pray and spray for nothing.

Not when I was doing IPSC, two holes is all you need in the target, any more just costs you time.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers