Maddco Vs Swan

Improving and repairing firearms. Rifle bedding, barrel work, stock replacement and other ways to improve your firearms.

Re: Maddco Vs Swan

Post by deanp100 » 06 Mar 2019, 8:10 pm

It was only a little while ago that Alan had quick turn around times and did good work. Word spread quickly and next minute. ..... unfortunately it is hard to have the best of both worlds
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rustypic » 18 Mar 2019, 9:08 am

SCJ429 wrote:You were quoted $1200 for the barrel? Was that chambered and fitted? My gunsmith charges me under $1000 fitted and takes less than a week once I drop off the rifle.

Yeah mate that was from go to whoa, chambered and fitted stainless. The bloke quoted me the same for TSE. I'm pretty sure he just wanted to sell me a new rifle that he just happened to have in stock. ;)
I wondered why the ball was getting bigger. Then it hit me.

22 Win LA
22 Brno Fox K-Hornet
243 Win 70 Featherweight
308 Savage 10/110 Trophy Hunter
Couple of Shotties but miss my 5 shot semi auto :(
rustypic
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Homer » 23 Mar 2019, 10:09 am

Homer wrote:G'Day Fella's,

Mitch, I'm probably biased about this, and I have never owned a Swan barrel.

There is a reason why MADDCO barrels are so difficult to obtain ................ there is a long back log of orders for them.
This is because they are so good (One of the Best barrels made), and everybody wants them.
This leave to door open to others, to fill the void (enter Mr Swan, etc).
Accuracy International made their name using MADDCO barrels, and a whole heap of other people (like myself), have used them for years.

I could go on but I'm sure you get the picture (they are worth the wait!).

Doh!
Homer

G'Day Fella's,

Just an update on my above post.
I have now seen a Swan barrel in use, and I was exceedingly impressed with how it looks and shot.

Hope that helps

Avagreatweekendeh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by SCJ429 » 23 Mar 2019, 3:51 pm

How did it shoot?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 23 Mar 2019, 11:54 pm

Now shooting the same sized groups at 200 with a swan barrel as what i was at 100. A happy camper
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Morto » 02 Jan 2021, 10:08 pm

I've won big matches with both, 22lr bull barrel 20 though off the Australian record (swan) with a 62 model martini 200m state benchrest title madco- chambered by barry Warwick, the quality is there with both but I prefer Swan, testing with 6ppc at the moment and getting great results, I find that there keen to help you.
Morto
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Jan 2021, 2:41 pm

What size group did you shoot with your Martini?

I was sitting next to a bloke at the rimfire 200m fly shoot who shot a 0.930 group with his Anschutz. I was pretty impressed to say the least. Unfortunately my group was at least five times bigger.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Redflag » 10 Jan 2021, 7:59 am

Had a Maddco barrel fitted years ago by pine rivers. Can't fault the barrel, I'm not a competition shooter but it shoots better than I can.

Have dealt with Allen swan on 3 bulids and they all shoot bugholes. All moly.

As with all good smiths they are in demand and Allan's popularity has soared. On top of knowing his job he is a gentleman and will be sadly missed when he hangs it up.

I recall Tony Small had a fairly good wait time on a build. But it was worth it from what I saw.
Redflag
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Previous

Return to Gunsmithing