Dealer Interstate Transfer PTA? SA / VIC

Questions about Victorian gun and ammunition laws. Victorian Firearms Act 1996.

Dealer Interstate Transfer PTA? SA / VIC

Post by Shaneo » 23 Mar 2019, 10:26 am

Hi Team,
Just have a query, I just put a deposit on a rifle in SA and they said I need to provide them with a copy of my PTA before they will ship it to my dealer in VIC. Is this the case? I thought I just needed to provide the PTA to my VIC dealer when I picked up the rifle.

I am still waiting for the PTA to come in the post and was hoping that I could get the rifle freight underway simultaneously. I now realise it may have been quicker to get my dealer to lodge the PTA application online but I didn’t expect to find the rifle l wanted so quick.

Cheers

Shane
Shaneo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Dealer Interstate Transfer PTA? SA / VIC

Post by bladeracer » 23 Mar 2019, 3:24 pm

Shaneo wrote:Hi Team,
Just have a query, I just put a deposit on a rifle in SA and they said I need to provide them with a copy of my PTA before they will ship it to my dealer in VIC. Is this the case? I thought I just needed to provide the PTA to my VIC dealer when I picked up the rifle.

I am still waiting for the PTA to come in the post and was hoping that I could get the rifle freight underway simultaneously. I now realise it may have been quicker to get my dealer to lodge the PTA application online but I didn’t expect to find the rifle l wanted so quick.

Cheers

Shane

Deposit? You need to pay for the rifle before they'll ship it to your dealer.
You don't need a PtA until you take possession of the firearm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Shaneo » 24 Mar 2019, 3:26 pm

Yeah that’s exactly what I thought, I tried to pay the whole amount but he didn’t want me to, he said I should pay the rest after he has a copy of my PTA then he would ship it.

Oh well, guess it will only add a week or so.
Shaneo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JSS » 24 Mar 2019, 4:30 pm

Shaneo wrote:Yeah that’s exactly what I thought, I tried to pay the whole amount but he didn’t want me to, he said I should pay the rest after he has a copy of my PTA then he would ship it.

Normally you pay in full and give him your transferring dealer in your state for it to be sent to, he then sends it and his part is over. You then provide the pta to your dealer and pick up your gun.
Maybe SA is backwards or maybe he just doesn't know any better.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Mar 2019, 5:01 pm

Shaneo wrote:Yeah that’s exactly what I thought, I tried to pay the whole amount but he didn’t want me to, he said I should pay the rest after he has a copy of my PTA then he would ship it.

Very strange. I've bought at least two rifles from SA, from a private seller, and from a country dealer. Both times I simply paid for the rifles, they sent them to my dealer. My dealer ran the PtA's once the rifles arrived, then I went in and collected them.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 24 Mar 2019, 5:16 pm

I had the same arrangement as BR and had no problem either time.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Shaneo » 24 Mar 2019, 5:29 pm

Cheers for your responses, I will give them a call this week a query them, hopefully just a misunderstanding.
Shaneo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 24 Mar 2019, 6:36 pm

My understanding was the transaction actually goes, the seller takes it to his dealer, they fill a disposal form (unregister from seller) then it goes on their books, in their books they then transfer to interstate dealer (they need the dealer license number) then ship it.

Your local dealer gets the gun, puts it on their books as recieved, then they wait for you to present the PTA at which time they take it off from their books and put it in your name, with the pta and relevant details are sent back to LRD, in a few weeks you hey a nice pink letter to say you own a new gun.

So not sure why this dealer is asking for your pta.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Shaneo » 27 Mar 2019, 2:46 pm

Turns out that the first person I spoke to in the store just didn't know how it worked. Spoke to someone different today, paid the remaining balance and he shipped it straight away.
Shaneo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Download » 04 Apr 2019, 5:28 pm

While I'm not a dealer it seems very odd that you would need to give the SA dealer a PTA. That's all handled by the dealer you are picking the gun up from. I can only assume you spoke to someone who didn't know what they were taking about or (more likely) they misunderstood what you said.

It could be they're waiting for your dealer to send them a copy of their dealers license. I had an issue selling a gun last year like that. The buyer was complaining their gun hadn't arrived and it turned out their dealer hadn't replied to several requests for them to forward their license details to my dealer.
Download
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Stix » 04 Apr 2019, 6:02 pm

Who is the dealer in SA Shaneo...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 05 Apr 2019, 4:20 pm

Download wrote:While I'm not a dealer it seems very odd that you would need to give the SA dealer a PTA. That's all handled by the dealer you are picking the gun up from. I can only assume you spoke to someone who didn't know what they were taking about or (more likely) they misunderstood what you said.

It could be they're waiting for your dealer to send them a copy of their dealers license. I had an issue selling a gun last year like that. The buyer was complaining their gun hadn't arrived and it turned out their dealer hadn't replied to several requests for them to forward their license details to my dealer.

I always supply my dealer's licence details when I buy a firearm, saves the seller having to chase it up. I've never been asked for a copy of my dealer's licence as the licence number is linked to the dealer's business address anyway.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Victorian gun laws