CZ 457

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457

Post by Mattraff » 20 Mar 2019, 12:33 pm

The new CZ 457 is in stores now so I'm heading out to have a look tomorrow. Has anyone seen or used one yet? I already have 4 .22 rifles and no room in the safe but have a feeling one might follow me home, might need to offload my Lithgow 101 to make room or just get a bigger safe.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: CZ 457

Post by Cooper » 20 Mar 2019, 1:10 pm

I'm interested in them too. But I already have have 3 .22s (ones a cz455 which I normally use as a 17hmr). What store has them? What models?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rod_outbak » 20 Mar 2019, 8:00 pm

I'm a bit narked they dont have a stainless/synthetic model out at this stage. Not even sure they plan to include one!

I really like the improvements over my 455 (Trigger, bolt throw, etc), but I'll keep my 455 for the moment...
---------------------
Sharing the extreme love with cats in Outback QLD
Rod_outbak
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 21 Mar 2019, 12:56 am

Cooper wrote: What store has them? What models?

I know Gunco in St Albans and H. Rehfisch in Ballarat have stock. The only model in the country at the moment is the American in .22lr.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rookie » 21 Mar 2019, 10:00 am

Mattraff wrote:The new CZ 457 is in stores now so I'm heading out to have a look tomorrow. Has anyone seen or used one yet?

I joined the "CZ 457 Rimfire Rifle" Facebook page / group yesterday and was reading comments ... mostly US folks (they have a few more options made available to them, than us currently) but does make you want to buy get one 8-)
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 21 Mar 2019, 11:04 am

Well had a look just now and couldn't help myself. I bought it from RF Scott in Ballarat for $890. I had a look at the 4 they had and picked what I think was the nicest timber, I a l so looked at the few at H Rehfisch and glad I didn't buy it from them as they want $975 for them. I still think the 452 is a better rifle as the overall finish of the 457 is from what I could see not as good with the finish on the stock not all that nice at all but nothing an oil finish won't fix. Now for the hard part- telling the wife.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mickzo » 13 Apr 2019, 2:37 pm

Mattraff now that you had the 457 for a little while, how do you find it for accuracy and quality?

Are you using it for target or hunting or both?
Mickzo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 15 Apr 2019, 10:31 am

Mickzo wrote:Mattraff now that you had the 457 for a little while, how do you find it for accuracy and quality?

Are you using it for target or hunting or both?

Haven't got it yet, I put it on laybuy so the wife wouldn't crack it. I should be picking it up this week depending on how quick the permit comes through, I put the permit in on Friday so should have it by Tuesday. I have ordered a scope online as I couldn't find what I wanted localy, it is a Bushnell Rimfire scope in 6-18x40 and was only $235 if I don't like it I will take the Leupold VX2 6-18×40 of my CZ452. I'm looking for mounts now but cant decide as most rimfire mounts look cheap.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 17 Apr 2019, 11:28 pm

Picked up my 457 American today. First thing was to strip it down and give it a thorough clean before adjusting the trigger ever so slightly then fit and bore sight the scope. I used Burris medium rings and with the Bushnell Rimfire 6-18×40 there is not much room to fit it as the power ring is fairly bulky. I can see this scope being replaced with something a little more slender in the not to distant future. The actual height of the scope is a perfect fit for me it just needs to go forward an inch or so. Compared to my 452's the 457 is different in just about every way especially the barrel length. Overall I like the new action and reduced bolt angle. Next thing after sighting in and trying all the different ammo will be to strip the woeful urethane from the stock and fine sand it before giving it an oil finish to bring out the nice grain hiding under the dark stain.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TankParts » 27 Apr 2019, 12:18 am

Does the CZ 457 American have 3/8" or 11mm dovetail mounts? Winchester Australia says 3/8" and CZ-USA says 11mm. Is the Australian version different to the one in America? Can anyone who has purchased on pull our a measuring tape?

"Made without sights, the top of the receiver is machined with a 3/8” wide dovetail groove for mounting standard rimfire dovetail mounts."
-https://www.winchesteraustralia.com.au/products/CZ45722AMERICAN

"Like all of our 457s, it has an 11mm dovetail milled into the top of its receiver for attaching scope ringmounts."
-https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-457-american/
TankParts
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mattraff » 27 Apr 2019, 9:33 pm

TankParts wrote:Does the CZ 457 American have 3/8" or 11mm dovetail mounts? Winchester Australia says 3/8" and CZ-USA says 11mm. Is the Australian version different to the one in America?

The 457 dovetail is 11mm. I fitted Warne 7.3/22 medium mounts after trying some Burris medium mounts that were just a bit low for my scope. The Warne mounts are suitable for either 11mm or 3/8" just by rotating the claw.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles