Tikka CTR - Found my new .308

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Tikka CTR - Found my new .308

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jan 2014, 1:41 pm

I've been thinking about swapping my Hawkeye .308 for a while now. It shoots good, but has a few imperfections.

Length of pull is about a cm too long (for me, not the rifles fault) and it's slightly front heavy.

I was thinking of dropping down to a 7mm-08 for the recoil benefit too. I broke my shoulder reeeeal good a while ago, taking a few shots hunting is fine, but .308 is borderline uncomfortable for me at the range when shooting more than a handful of shots.

If I was going to stick with a .308 I was thinking about a Tikka Hunter Fluted which has a straight end barrel that I could get a clamp on brake for. But I'm not really keen with mucking about with a clamp on...
Or a Ruger Scout, but TBH accuracy for them isn't great in my experience. I could only use it for moderate range hunting and it would be useless at the range.

Just found this though - The Tikka CTR is a new model for 2014 and looks like a proper 'all purpose' rifle judging by the specs.

.308 + threaded barrel for a screw-on brake, easier to screw on/off that muck about with multiples screws and torque etc. with a clamp on brake.
20" semi-heavy barrel for accuracy, shorter barrel for the scrub is usefull and it will surely be a lot more accurate than the Scout and still good for fun at the range.
3.4kg so only about 300grams heavier than my Ruger for carrying around, but will be better balanced which I prefer. Won't be anything like lugging a 700 SPS Tactical around.
Raised cheek plate is nice too.

Good for a hunt, good for the range. I think I've found my new rifle.

What do you reckon?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Tikka CTR - Found my new .308

Post by Chronos » 22 Jan 2014, 2:56 pm

whats a "propper brake" does a screw on brake perform better than a clamp on brake?

tikka already produces rifles with 20" threaded barrels but it's near impossible to get one in australia, lets hope this one is imported by beretta

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Monty » 22 Jan 2014, 4:25 pm

Nothing wrong with clamp-on brakes.

HSS do a highly regarded clamp on that tonnes of people use.

Others too I'm sure.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 22 Jan 2014, 4:29 pm

Chronos wrote:whats a "proper brake" does a screw on brake perform better than a clamp on brake?

Edited my post to be worded better. I shouldn't have said "proper", nothing wrong with a clamp on muzzle brake... If I were to get a braked rifle I would want it with a 1 piece brake which I can easily screw on/off - Not a clamp on one with 4 screws and having to worry about torque settings etc.

Screw on is just more convenient.

Chronos wrote:tikka already produces rifles with 20" threaded barrels but it's near impossible to get one in australia, lets hope this one is imported by beretta

I dunno about that. Is that the 'varmint' you're talking about?

I spoke to Magnum Sports about this today and he mentioned it as being similar to the CTR. Said he had one in stock and could order more if I wanted a different calibre?

Didn't seem to be a problem? Unless we're talking about something else...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 22 Jan 2014, 4:51 pm

Lorgar wrote:
Chronos wrote:whats a "proper brake" does a screw on brake perform better than a clamp on brake?

Edited my post to be worded better. I shouldn't have said "proper", nothing wrong with a clamp on muzzle brake... If I were to get a braked rifle I would want it with a 1 piece brake which I can easily screw on/off - Not a clamp on one with 4 screws and having to worry about torque settings etc.

Screw on is just more convenient.

Chronos wrote:tikka already produces rifles with 20" threaded barrels but it's near impossible to get one in australia, lets hope this one is imported by beretta

I dunno about that. Is that the 'varmint' you're talking about?

I spoke to Magnum Sports about this today and he mentioned it as being similar to the CTR. Said he had one in stock and could order more if I wanted a different calibre?

Didn't seem to be a problem? Unless we're talking about something else...

yeah they make a varmint MT, 20" threaded barrel' i ordered one once, 8 months later i was told there was no eta for its manufacture so i took a standard varmint

the tactical also has a threaded barrel and i believe the sako trg brakes fit them but im not sure how the brake is indexed to ensire it's right side up

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by steyroy » 23 Jan 2014, 8:16 am

Chronos wrote:The tactical also has a threaded barrel and i believe the sako trg brakes fit them but im not sure how the brake is indexed to ensire it's right side up

If you got a radial brake I assume you can just screw it on and it's fine wherever?
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 23 Jan 2014, 8:34 am

steyroy wrote:
Chronos wrote:The tactical also has a threaded barrel and i believe the sako trg brakes fit them but im not sure how the brake is indexed to ensire it's right side up

If you got a radial brake I assume you can just screw it on and it's fine wherever?

To my knowledge radial brakes are terrible to shoot probe because of the amount of dirt they blow up

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Tinked » 23 Jan 2014, 9:49 am

steyroy wrote:If you got a radial brake I assume you can just screw it on and it's fine wherever?

Yep, they just disperse the gas evenly in every direction.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Tinked » 23 Jan 2014, 9:51 am

Chronos wrote:To my knowledge radial brakes are terrible to shoot probe because of the amount of dirt they blow up

Depends on the ground and wind I guess.

A little dust getting blow away quickly wouldn't be a bother.

If its going up and blown straight back into your face that's going to get old quick.
Tinked
Private
Private

Australian Capital Territory

Post by maxi » 23 Jan 2014, 10:29 am

Looks good to me.

Did you manage to get a price on this Lorgar?
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Triang » 23 Jan 2014, 10:44 am

Looks better than a Ruger scout to me. No comparison...

Good luck on them getting one in for you. Hopefully the US export junk doesn't get in the way.
Howa Axiom .308 --- Nikko Stirling Nighteater 3-10x42
Ruger 77/357
Marlin 25N .22 --- Weaver Kaspa 3-9x40
Triang
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by zook60 » 10 May 2014, 12:54 pm

So has anyone actually got pricing on one of these? or an ETA?
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 11 May 2014, 8:38 am

Some time off still it seems.

I searched and waited for a few months, called around locally and at a few interstate dealers and got no where.

Gave up waiting in the end and got my 7mm-08 instead.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 17 May 2014, 7:31 pm

Ok so I talked to my dealer today. He has actually ordered one of these in 308.

We will see them towards the end of the year and they will be around $1450.

He actually said they are building them as a direct competitor for the Ruger gun site.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 18 May 2014, 8:36 am

Blokes are selling the Ruger Scout for more than they bought them for.

They're $1,200 new or something. I've seen a few seconds hand ones going for $1,300, $1,400.

A new Tikka which retails for that is going to give them a run for their money.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Wes » 18 May 2014, 8:37 am

And with Tikka's reputation for accuracy.

Not so much for Ruger... Yep, if it's competing against the Scout I think it'll have a few wins.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 9:03 am

AusC wrote:Blokes are selling the Ruger Scout for more than they bought them for.

They're $1,200 new or something. I've seen a few seconds hand ones going for $1,300, $1,400.

A new Tikka which retails for that is going to give them a run for their money.

There is a scout on used guns now that $950 with a red dot and only 100 rounds down the tube hasn't sold yet.

Another with 2 mags in new condition $1000 and not sold either.

You always get the dreamers on used guns asking way to much.Normally what they are asking at hat it actually sells for are 2 different things just like used cars. I have seen plenty advertised on forums for $800 and sit for a while. Don't get me wrong I think they are a great concept and Im keen to shoot one.

The biggest problems with Ruger at the moment seems to be availability. I have heard they are up to 2years behind .

The new Tikkas will win the battle as if the action wasnt smooth enough they will have a teflon coasted bolt and a TRG mag :evil:

I'm wondering if it will be top loadable?
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 18 May 2014, 10:09 am

Ebb and flow I guess.

Haven't looked for a few months since I saw them selling for more.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 18 May 2014, 10:09 am

I notice they're on the shelves at a few stores now where before no one had stock to ages too.

More supply has knocked that profiteering off maybe.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 18 May 2014, 10:10 am

zook60 wrote:The biggest problems with Ruger at the moment seems to be availability. I have heard they are up to 2years behind.

I heard the same, but a few of my locals all have stock on the shelf now.

Both versions of the it. The 'International' one and the original threaded 16.5" with the flash suppressor.

Solved the problem it seems.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 18 May 2014, 10:12 am

zook60 wrote:I'm wondering if it will be top loadable?

No top loading is one thing I hate about detachable mags...
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 18 May 2014, 10:12 am

Says the guy with two rifles which you can't top load :P
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 18 May 2014, 10:13 am

Ha ha.

Yeah I know.

That's the one thing I don't like about them. My old Hawkeyes had them beat there.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 1:12 pm

scrolllock wrote:I notice they're on the shelves at a few stores now where before no one had stock to ages too.

More supply has knocked that profiteering off maybe.

You are probably right.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 1:17 pm

Lorgar wrote:No top loading is one thing I hate about detachable mags...

Yes that why I have just sold my Tikka varmint 223 and bought a Sako 223. When spotlighting its a pain in the arse to be juggling magazines, the rife, ammo and the steering wheel.

I had an older gentleman at the range the other week ask if my tikka is hard to put extra rounds in the mag I said no how do you mean?

He was trying to top load it :oops:
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by The Brass » 18 May 2014, 4:22 pm

zook60 wrote:He was trying to top load it :oops:

I suppose if you don't have much experience with different rifles it seems sensible to assume they all top load.

Looking at an action and not knowing any different I guess there is nothing glaringly obvious to say you can't.

Not until you try/learn anyway.
The Brass
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 May 2014, 4:23 pm

zook60 wrote:Yes that why I have just sold my Tikka varmint 223 and bought a Sako 223.

That's the only thing I don't like about my Tikka.

If the mag was top loadable it would be perfect.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by zook60 » 18 May 2014, 4:29 pm

Lorgar wrote:That's the only thing I don't like about my Tikka.

If the mag was top loadable it would be perfect.

Yes that's the only think that I can say bad about them. Oh and the absolutely worthless recoil pad, it's pretty bad as far as other brands go.

Apart from that they are great hunting/entry level target guns.

Thankfully Limbsavers are only about $60 for them.
zook60
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 18 May 2014, 7:10 pm

zook60 wrote:Oh and the absolutely worthless recoil pad, it's pretty bad as far as other brands go.

I switched from a Ruger Hawkeye which seriously does have 'the worst' factory pad. About 1/4 the thickness of the Tikka. Useless...

My Tikka is chambered in 7mm-08 and I'm shooting 120gr or 140gr loads with it, so recoil isn't ferocious.

Only for hunting too, might only fire a dozen shots in a day. If that.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by boyou » 18 May 2014, 7:11 pm

I thought the Ruger pads where heaps thick? And had the adjustable spacer plate things for your length of pull too?
boyou
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles