First Pistol - New or Used

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

First Pistol - New or Used

Post by Macross » 15 Apr 2019, 10:31 am

Im counting down the weeks to getting my license and first PTA submitted. Have been trawling usedguns.com and all the gun shops checking out prices and whats available.

I have been leaning towards a new pistol for my first gun, but have seen quite a lot of what looks to be good second hand options. Wondering if its worth going the second hand route and spending the difference on extra goodies and ammo. Or would a first timer be better off getting a new pistol and having that bit of extra backing from the LGS to help with any issues???

Still not 100% sure on what im getting yet, but have been looking at CZ SP-01 second hand and Shadow 2 new.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: First Pistol - New or Used

Post by Blr243 » 15 Apr 2019, 4:02 pm

With no experience and not knowing what to look for play it safe and buy new. I have bought new and secondhand rifles pistols revolvers and shotguns. once I did accidentally buy a piece of junk ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bullzeye » 15 Apr 2019, 5:13 pm

I’ve purchased plenty second hand - without a single issue. Most still in very good condition.

Dealers are obliged to sell you a working item.

Remember - 99.9% of the time they sit in the safe. Then are taken to the club to shoot 50 rounds, then back in the safe.

Would be a different story for Cat A/B firearms that are taken through the bush.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 16 Apr 2019, 12:22 am

The vast majority of modern pistols from major manufacturers are going to outlast their owners and never break. I wouldn't be put off by a used pistol but of course you want to look it over to gather how much wear it's had.

Often times though there isn't much difference between new and used on price, so you might want to purchase new so you do have factory support or a warranty if anything does go wrong.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Zappa » 16 Apr 2019, 6:36 pm

wanneroo wrote:Often times though there isn't much difference between new and used on price, so you might want to purchase new so you do have factory support or a warranty if anything does go wrong.

Aint that the truth. People dont do their research and ask too much for their second hand wares. 4-5 yo handguns close to 80% of new price. Unrealistic.
Zappa
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 17 Apr 2019, 10:12 pm

By the time you pay freight and dealer charges etc secondhand often becomes equal to new.

Just buy new.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 22 May 2019, 5:24 pm

Local dealer has a second hand SP01 Shadow orange, with 5 mags, for about the same price as a brand new shadow 2. Im torn between which one to go for. The Shadow orange is in great nic and has been very well looked after. From my research the orange has a hand fit barrel to slide and slide to frame.

Club gun I have been shooting is a shadow 2 and been using it every week for a while now and am really liking it.. but wondering if the Shadow orange would compare or be a better option????
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 22 May 2019, 8:03 pm

For what it's worth, I just got my first pistol and went for a brand new CZ Shadow 2. I was going to go the .22 Ruger route that is probably very sensible for a first pistol, then upgrade later to a 9mm, but then thought "bugger it, get the one I want to end up with". I have not regretted this decision, the Shadow 2 is a beautiful thing and I get enjoyment from just playing with it and seeing how good I can shoot with it. You only go around once, go with your heart and not your head. You'll have more fun.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Macross » 22 May 2019, 8:25 pm

Words of wisdom I think Snag. Cool thing is that my Mrs is getting into pistol shooting with me and we are both loving it. We grabbed a stainless Ruger Mark 4 Target last weekend at the dealer for an unbeatable price for her... which means I kinda get the best of both worlds... Will have her .22 and my 9mm to play with at the range. Heavily leaning towards a new shadow 2 rather than a second hand option...4 weeks to go till our 6 months probation is up and we can get the ball rolling on licenses and PTA's.... cant wait :D
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 23 May 2019, 3:17 am

i dont no your market for hand guns but as bullzeye said most do not shoot very much they buy them shoot a few times put them up here in the states.
I try to steer new shooters to a round that is popular and dont cost alot to shoot 22 and 9mm the nice thing about 22 is most guys keep them around for there rifles .
the 9mm cost just about half what every thing does so you get to shoot more there are lots of very good makes.
if you can shoot some different brands it could help grip and were safty is a preference that you find helps shoot well.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by yowie » 26 May 2019, 7:21 pm

I have 9 pistols, all were purchased secondhand.
I have not had any issues whatsoever and have saved myself a fortune.
The best part about buying secondhand is you get a near new pistol but if you shop around sometimes ya get Dies, Holsters, sights, gunsmithing, extra mags ETC for less than the cost of a new gun without any extras.
yowie
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bullzeye » 27 May 2019, 2:15 pm

yowie wrote:I have 9 pistols, all were purchased secondhand.
I have not had any issues whatsoever and have saved myself a fortune.
The best part about buying secondhand is you get a near new pistol but if you shop around sometimes ya get Dies, Holsters, sights, gunsmithing, extra mags ETC for less than the cost of a new gun without any extras.

That’s what I’ve found. Dealers here in Sydney will
do you a very good deal on second hand guns if you got the PTA and ready to purchase.

With new guns they need to keep around the RRP.

Second hand - they can discount heavily.
bullzeye
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Macross » 23 Jun 2019, 9:27 am

Well I ended up doing both new and used. :D

Got a second hand Ruger Mark IV target for my wife for an absolute steal. lots of extras and in really good condition. Poor fella had to dump his whole collection at the LGS cause he had some trouble at home.

I dropped a deposit on a new CZ Shadow 2 Optics Ready model yesterday. Had looked at some used regular shadow 2s and missed a good one by literally half an hour. LGS had sent out email with it advertised and someone got in just before me. But still happy. Will be nice to have shiny new and great condition second hand toys to play with once our licenses come through. Happy days.
Macross
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Jt-2019 » 05 Feb 2020, 1:11 pm

I'd go new if I were you.
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Angel » 06 Feb 2020, 9:50 am

I have 2 pistols bought them both new. I think initially it's a safer option until you get used to it and know what to look for etc. in a pistol. Just my 2 cents.
Angel
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers