CZ 457 vs Tikka T1X vs Lithgow LA101 - First .22 Rifle

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ 457 vs Tikka T1X vs Lithgow LA101 - First .22 Rifle

Post by Pyroteq » 05 Apr 2019, 11:33 pm

Hi everyone! My first PTA just cleared so now I'm just waiting for the paperwork to arrive in the mail.

I'm brand new to shooting and I've just borrowed one of the rifles at the range for the couple of sessions I've had shooting.

Now it's time to get my own rifle and I'm wondering what I should get. Sorry, I know this probably gets asked all the time, but can anyone give me some pros and cons of each rifle to help me out?

The main ones I'm considering are the LA101, 457 and the T1X. I'd also be happy for any suggestions on comparable quality at that price ($900-$1200)

Also, some ideas of what model to get would be great too! I'm not a big fan of the MTR stocks on the CZ's (aesthetically), but I could live with the thumb hole versions.

It's probably gonna be used mostly for target shooting and hopefully a bit of competitive shooting, but it might get put to use on a few bunnies if I can find a local property to do hunting on. Ideally it will have a real wooden stock (not laminate) but I haven't completely ruled out synthetic. I would rather get a synthetic .223 for hunting in the future as that will likely take more dings and more likely to be out in the bush and then keep a nice wood stock .22 that looks amazing. Anyway with that said...

So far my pros and cons list looks like this:

Lithgow LA101
+ Australian made
+ Plenty of variants
+ 10 year warranty

- Weight (Starts at 3.1KG)
- Price (Starts around $950 for synthetic stock and nearly $1200 for wooden stock)
- 5 Round Magazine

Tikka T1X
+ Price ($880ish)
+ 10 round magazine
+ Weight (2.6KG)

- Only available in the blued synthetic look
- No sights

CZ 457
+ Plenty of variants
+ Adjustable trigger
+ Can change calibre with a kit
+ Weight 2.8KG

- 5 Round Magazine

Have I missed anything obvious from my pro/con list?

I guess the other question... What will I actually be able to buy? It looks like these rifles are all very popular and low in stock in many places.

For example it seems right now the CZ 457 may be off limits for us unless we want the American model... I really liked the look of the Royal with the full stock and 20" barrel but I don't want to wait until 2020 for it.

The Tikka T1X looks like great value for money, but like I said, not a huge fan of synthetic.

Would love to hear your input, especially if you've got experience with these 3 rifles.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: CZ 457 vs Tikka T1X vs Lithgow LA101 - First .22 Rifle

Post by bigrich » 06 Apr 2019, 4:55 am

Shooters are spoiled for choice these days. My own experience has been with a CZ 452 SuperMatch that shot Ok , but a 1962 German made Krico shot a little better. I went to a weihrauch after that, beautiful build qaulity, the accuracy was average. I’ve seen others get amazing accuracy out of these rifles, amazing trigger. But also not light enough as a carry around rifle. My current 22 is a CZ 452 American that is extremely accurate, and with a replacement trigger spring has a pretty good trigger. I have a leupold rimfire scope on it which is great and has a ballistic drop recticle which I find very useful for long shots. I hope you find some of this information useful. Stay safe and happy shooting
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Apr 2019, 5:36 am

To be honest mate I don’t think you could wrong with either of the three you have listed. In saying that I have not had experience with the two new relative new comers being the T1x and the 457. I did own a Brno Mod 2 though and wished I had never let it go. I am not sure if the new CZ are as good.
I currently have a Lithgow La101 and rate it highly, it is an accurate little thing and of course Australian made is a plus also.
If you do a search they may be a thread or two discussing these rifles from memory which may be of use to you mate. Let us know what you decide on and how it goes.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Apr 2019, 6:26 am

JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 06 Apr 2019, 6:28 am

JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 06 Apr 2019, 7:08 am

If you’ll be predominantly target shooting, weight will be your friend. I like a meaty rifle with a high comb for shooting from standing offhand. Given this, both the la101 and 457 MTR are more appropriate for target shooting I feel.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 06 Apr 2019, 7:28 am

3DDA8F76-04AE-4935-AD99-045F7988B3AF.jpeg
457 MTR is designed for this style
3DDA8F76-04AE-4935-AD99-045F7988B3AF.jpeg (131.69 KiB) Viewed 26669 times
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bill » 06 Apr 2019, 7:36 am

I own a Tikka T1x in 17HMR and love the full size stock, trigger, mag functionality and accuracy. Its had a few thousand rounds thru it without a single feed issue or failure.

Spoiltfor for choice really, so buy what feels right in your hands. If your going to walk and plink bunnies, then weight may come into it.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Apr 2019, 12:27 pm

I like the cz’s In .22 - have seen couple tikka .22’s that didn’t shoot that well in comparison - on YouTube.
Can’t comment on Lithgow.

Does it have to be a brand new rifle ? There are a lot of .22’s around that have done bugger all work and have already been accessorised.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by solarpak » 06 Apr 2019, 2:51 pm

with a $1200 maximum i would strongly recommend the Weihrauch HW66 in 22LR. I have one i purchased used for around $900 and its is perfect for hunting and target work. Naturally with all 22's you have to find a load which its partial too. My HW66 loves the ELEY match loads as well as the SK target ammo. Hunting ammo it shoots most hit velocity or subsonic ammo very well with one notable exception being the Winchester Power Points- which it doesn't like one iota!!

Of the CZ flavour i would strongly recommend the 452 -2E - these are still available on the second hand market and are very well built and shoot!

CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Kel » 06 Apr 2019, 4:35 pm

Just one point that a dealer made me aware of yesterday when I bought my CZ455 (in .22WMR)- the CZ 457 has a new design action hence it is a bit of an unknown quantity and may not perform quite the same as the well known 452/455 variants. Time will tell on that one.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 06 Apr 2019, 5:41 pm

i could be mistaken, but the design of the cz 457 has changed from previous models . it seems to incorporate some design features of older german designs . voere, krico , anshutz type of bolt and bolt release button, and saftey . the new 60 degree bolt throw is a good thing, one of the only critisisms i had of cz/brno was the need to have a high mounted scope for bolt throw clearance . anyone want to weigh in on this ?

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 06 Apr 2019, 7:37 pm

If you want your 22 for range work, would you consider an Anschutz? A 1813 is a full competition model and may be close to your budget but there are other cheaper models.

Of the others there is nothing wrong with the Lithgow but the Tikka has the best trigger and if you don't like the stock you could upgrade to a GRS or similar later.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cooper » 07 Apr 2019, 8:16 am

Out of those 3 I'd probably quickly narrow it down to either the the cz457 or the Tikka tx1. Although I came see the attraction of buying an Australian made firearm.

I already have two CZ's and Tikka centre fire.

The pros for Tikka as I see it are the trigger (I really like Tikka triggers) and the ability to swap into other T3(X) stocks or chassis systems if you already had them for your Tikka centre fires.

The Pros for the CZ457 are the new trigger which should be a Improvement on the old. The reduces bolt lift and the fact that it is compatible with cz455 barrels is a plus for me. I probably would also like the MTR version as I am quite happy with GRS stock and various Boyds thumb hole stock. With out actually trying it. I would guess I'd be pretty comfortable with the thumb position of the MTR stock.
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by ClaytonT88 » 07 Apr 2019, 9:55 am

I was in the same boat; handled and shot a CZ 452 American. Great rifle, shot well, bolt was a long throw but it cycled well. I just didn't really fall in love with it.
I was pretty keen on trying an LA101 but the weighed of it swayed me a bit. If I get into more rimfire target or I'm after a varmint rimfire rifle I'd consider one.
I ended up with the T1X after considering the weight, the function and the interchangeability of the T3X parts. I ended up getting mine for 850, I'm just waiting for a day off work to go pick it up and have some fun.

Good luck with your decision making. I read lots, spoke to a few who've spent years hunting bunnies with 22s etc and at the end of the day, it's what you like and what suits your needs. No 1 rifle will do everything.
Easy come, easy go.

Tikka T1X 22LR - VX Freedom 3-9X40
ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Mattraff » 07 Apr 2019, 11:59 am

A great problem to have with no wrong decision.
Firstly I will admit my preference for CZ rifles as I just like the old world charm they have with deep lustrous blueing and walnut stocks. I own a Left hand CZ452 that was bought for my wife 12 years ago and would be lucky to have had 100 rounds through it. I also have a CZ452 farewell edition and a Lithgow 101 and a Norinco JW21 lever action and have just bought but am yet to pick up a new CZ457 American. I have previously owned a Sako P94s Stirling M1400 and a CZ 452-2E, by this you may be able to tell I really like the humble .22LR.

First up the Lithgow 101, I was really excited by this rifle from the day I first read about them and just had to have one because it was Australian made albeit by a French owned company but it had a great lineage being a Lithgow. Mine is a titanium Cerakoted/walnut version and has a trigger spring kit, steel bolt knob and shroud from Lumley arms fitted the scope is a Japanese Bushnell Elite tactical LRS 5-15×40. As a bench rifle it is great but the stock design is not so good for walk about shooting. Finding the ammo it liked best was a real challenge it is very fussy and groups from ammo it doesn't like are the worst I have ever had in a .22, it's favorite are Eley subsonic but CCI subs work well in it and all my other 22's so that's what I use in it on the odd occasion it gets used. The thing I hate about it is the feeding issues from the magazine that are a common cause for most but is easily fixed by adjusting the magazine follower although I have not bothered as I don't really use it. The factory trigger is good but replacing the springs make it great. The bolt knob and shroud are black plastic and a bit cheap looking on a rifle of this price and overall quality so that was my reason to replace them with matching colour steel items. The action of the 101 would have to be one of if not the strongest you will find in a .22 with 3 decent sized lugs and a very smooth and positive throw from new.

Overall the Lithgow 101 is a great quality rifle with fantastic fit and finish and truly is a premium product as it should be for the price but it has a lot of tuff competition from the European brands and brand names are what people love.

Tikka T1X. Can't say anything about it as I would not buy a synthetic stocked rifle but I'm sure it would be a quality product and has the flexibility of interchangeable stocks with the T3X range. There is a review of the T1X in the current issue of Guns Australia.

CZ457, well this rifle is all about sales in the huge American market I think. The benefit of the 457 over the others is the ability to easily change barrels to either 17HMR or 22mag so may be handy if your considering either of these calibres down the track the fully adjustable factory trigger is also a good bonus. There will be lots of aftermarket parts avaliable for these down the track as they already have a few bits avaliable in the US. I am yet to pick mine up but from my initial impression in the shop I think they are making these rifles a little more to a budget than before with the stock not being finished as nice as they were now with a thick Mat coating common to a lot of American rifles. I will be removing the factory finish and oiling the stock though to bring out what is a decent looking grain in the rifle I chose. My thoughts on the action were typical CZ with it feeling a little agricultural but it is new and covered in the anti rust oil so will be much better once cleaned and lubricated with decent oil.

There are plenty of quality rifles out there so just go and look at as many as you can and buy what feels right in your hands.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pyroteq » 13 Apr 2019, 2:48 pm

Well, with my birthday coming up next week I figured now was the best time to spend a bit of money on myself without the Mrs shooting me.

I bought a safe as well as putting a deposit on a second hand LA101 at my local gun shop.

It wasn't my first choice of stock being synthetic, but it's kind of hard for me to say no to a great condition LA101 that included a scope for $890.

I asked about the feeding issue and the guy said it was a newer model so that should be ironed out.

Keen to pick it up next week!
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by solarpak » 13 Apr 2019, 8:24 pm

Pyrotec

with anything used......caveat emptor .........buyer beware!!!

I strongly suggest that once you get the rifle in your hands hit the range and test the rifle out .....i am not too sure with warranties on second hand guns sold through dealers (there should be some warranty to cover the consumer) but you would think that all firearms would need to be in working order without and issues.

More than likely it will function as it should......
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Pyroteq » 14 Apr 2019, 9:04 pm

I believe under Australian consumer law I'd be fine as all products must meet the expected performance. It should also be covered under warranty from the manufacturer, most good companies will honour the warranty still even after re-sale. Plan is to go out to the range right away after I pick it up and test it out.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mattraff » 15 Apr 2019, 10:22 am

Sounds like a decent price if the scopes ok. If you have trouble with the mag feeding there is an instruction page on the Lithgow site and I have also seen it posted on here if you search. Most report the Lithgow likes RWS subs or Eley, my preference is CCI subs as all my rifles shoot well with them. Enjoy the new toy!
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Apr 2019, 7:29 pm

Pyroteq wrote:I believe under Australian consumer law I'd be fine as all products must meet the expected performance. It should also be covered under warranty from the manufacturer, most good companies will honour the warranty still even after re-sale. Plan is to go out to the range right away after I pick it up and test it out.

Products must be fit for purpose, expectations of performance are not covered. Manufactures may make claims regarding performance which they may honour. If you are buying a Lithgow and feed it Eley Match you will probably be happy but feed it Remington plinking ammo it may not perform to your expectations.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 15 Apr 2019, 7:30 pm

Congrats on the purchase. I picked up my T1X this morning. Now to find some time to sight her in.
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by byadbo boy » 18 Apr 2019, 2:19 pm

All very good rifles - I own a Lithgow LA101 22LR and a CZ 22LR - love them both but they have their own plusses and minuses.
You will read a lot about feed issues with the Lithgow- which frankly are an over exaggeration in my opinion,
as both the CZ I own and an old Brno 2e we have in the family have feed issues with ammo they don't like as well.
If you buy a Lithgow - the ideal small arms Australian manufactured ten round polymer magazines work flawlessly
once the follower is modified as per their instruction to suit the LA101. They are only $45 each !
The Lithgow is a tad heavy - the negative, but the fit and finish, and particularly the cerakote is superb for an extended damp period in the scrub.
It also taken a few hits and dings, and is still unmarked ( both cerakoted workings and polymer stock )
I do love my CZ too, but I baby it as it is obviously timber and blued.
At the range, you'd toss a coin on either.
In the Scrub I would take the Lithgow ( but I have plenty of trees to rest that 3kg on ! )
Good luck with it all.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ClaytonT88 » 02 May 2019, 12:42 pm

How'd you go with the 101 Pyroteq? Pick her up yet?
Easy come, easy go.

ClaytonT88
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Zeju » 25 May 2019, 11:42 am

I just ordered a LA101 in 22LR Walnut / Black myself. Apparently it literally came from the factory the day before I ordered it, so hopefully I avoid any of the old niggles it was having.

That said, how are you guys going with yours? Surely no one is still having problems with them these days.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by safeshot » 06 Jun 2019, 7:55 pm

I have my Brno that I got in 1984 it cost ..$180.. It is s et up with strong light for night work; the older I get the better it shoots..!
and i have also a Lithgow 101 mainly for the range and it is an utter love. I had feeding probs with it when one round would stove pipe. In a correspondence with Lithgow we finally sorted out the prob. It was matter of altering the follower as they will point out to you.
The amount of altering was no more than thickness of the metal of the follower.
In my case with 10 shot mages after market and CZ as well I had to make a fine cut 1-2 mm into the side of the mag under the lug that secures the mag and then use devcon plastic 2 pack to build up or build down the lug and once dry proceed to file it away until the mages locked securely in place.
The cut is to give the defcon a better purchase.
Thus I lifted the mag apx .5 mm higher into the feed area.
another way would have been pull gun to bits and machine the underside of the metal work where it mates with the plastic by the same .5 mm but on a taper from .5 mm at the front to nil at the back end. This would be a gunsmith job of course and would blow your warranty so its not advised.
I find the 101 likes the HV or near HV ammo for target work. Best results being Fed HV match. Its doesnot like the HP with large 'hollows' as they still catch on the edge of the bore and will jam up.
"Behave well. Think for the best. Speak kindly."
safeshot
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 06 Jun 2019, 8:38 pm

[quote="safeshot"]I have my Brno that I got in 1984 it cost ..$180.. It is s et up with strong light for night work; the older I get the better it shoots..!
and i have also a Lithgow 101 mainly for the range and it is an utter love. I had feeding probs with it when one round would stove pipe. In a correspondence with Lithgow we finally sorted out the prob. It was matter of altering the follower as they will point out to you.
The amount of altering was no more than thickness of the metal of the follower.
In my case with 10 shot mages after market and CZ as well I had to make a fine cut 1-2 mm into the side of the mag under the lug that secures the mag and then use devcon plastic 2 pack to build up or build down the lug and once dry proceed to file it away until the mages locked securely in place.
The cut is to give the defcon a better purchase.
Thus I lifted the mag apx .5 mm higher into the feed area.
another way would have been pull gun to bits and machine the underside of the metal work where it mates with the plastic by the same .5 mm but on a taper from .5 mm at the front to nil at the back end. This would be a gunsmith job of course and would blow your warranty so its not advised.
I find the 101 likes the HV or near HV ammo for target work. Best results being Fed HV match. Its doesnot like the HP with large 'hollows' as they still catch on the edge of the bore and will jam up.[/quote

Stupid question -it is generally advised that, it’s illegal to modify a firearm or components unless the work is done by a licensed gunsmith. Are Lithgow exposing themselves by advising owners to undertake work in their firearms?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by MUZZ » 15 Jun 2019, 6:10 pm

Altering the bolt or chamber in some way would need to be done by a Gunsmith by law, but I don't think altering the way the magazine fits is classed as "altering a firearm".

Well done on the LA101 purchase. I have just sold my CZ 455 American that I was using for target shooting so that I could purchase a really sweet BRNO target rifle - but that deal fell through so now I'm looking at all the options. I can't really afford an Anschutz and I have a Lithgow 223 so I am drawn to an LA101 - but yes the new CZ's look good.
Cheers,
MUZZ
Gamo .177 air.
CZ .22lr
Lithgow .223
Boito 12G
When I was a kid I wanted to grow up. This isn't what I expected ..!
MUZZ
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Pyroteq » 06 Jul 2019, 12:01 am

ClaytonT88 wrote:How'd you go with the 101 Pyroteq? Pick her up yet?

I did! Got it back in April but I've only had one chance since to get to the bloody range so I've been a bit quiet. I was in Tasmania for 2 weekends and I've got my third kid on the way within the next month so I've had no spare weekends for the past couple of months while we rush around figuring out how the hell we fit 3 child seats in a car :unknown:

I put 100 rounds through it at the range. It was so much nicer than the rentals, although I had some stove piping issues with the magazine.

I looked up the magazine fix and was actually just playing around with it now to get the feed right. Unfortunately my local didn't have any 22 snap caps to actually test cycling the rounds so I can't say if my fix worked yet.

I intend to go out shooting this weekend so I'll see how my modification goes.

Apart from the magazine issue though, she shoots as well as I expect a complete noob to shoot. The scope was a million times better than the ones I had tried on the rentals. Once I either fix or replace the magazine (I want a 10 round anyway) I can start learning how to shoot properly!

I'll post a few pics tomorrow and also some pics of the magazine and how the bullets are sitting if anyone can give me advice. I think they're sitting in the right spot now, however the rim of the top round sometimes gets "caught" behind the rim of the round below it if I don't load it carefully which is causing issues so I think I'll need to adjust it a bit more before it's perfect.
Pyroteq
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 08 Jul 2019, 8:20 am

Pyroteq wrote:
ClaytonT88 wrote:Apart from the magazine issue though, she shoots as well as I expect a complete noob to shoot. .

If you can afford a spare, the cz mags seem to work. I used one while my factory mag boomeranged to the Lithgow factory under warranty. The replacement magazine they mailed me back has worked flawlessly ever since.

I adore my 101 - it has excellent form for target shooting. Good heft with high euro style comb. I took a break from my centerfire adventures just recently actually; here's an arbitrary 87/100 off the elbows (with a military sling). Admittedly I'm pretty rusty compared to my smallbore days, but still, not terrible.

IMG_9168.jpg
SISC Cecil Park - 50m prone
IMG_9168.jpg (527.22 KiB) Viewed 23306 times

IMG_9169.jpg
Cheap cci-sv ammo. (Unlike this rather average, elbows group) the 101 can shoot consistent 10s off the bench.
IMG_9169.jpg (374.97 KiB) Viewed 23306 times

Outside of benchrest shooting, the gun is easily more accurate than I am! :drinks:
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles