How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current lady

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: How do you broach the guns topic to prospective/current

Post by wanneroo » 15 Apr 2019, 1:11 am

Austwave wrote: Inner west vegetarian Buddhist yoga teacher

More red flags there than a Chinese Communist parade.

I'm not sure why dudes hook up with these chicks and think it's all going to work out well.

You say you can't afford it but there are some things worth paying for to get away from.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2019, 7:56 am

I don't have any of the aforementioned problems cos my woman loves guns,, and is a pretty good shot.

But then there is the OTHER problem which none of you have broached,,,,,,,,,,,,,
A good mate of mine who is the typical hunter/shooter, and bought a property for just that purpose,,, got married
and one day offered the wife a challenge at an impromptu target shoot in the front paddock.

She had never till that moment fired a rifle or been hunting.

Shortly thereafter to my mates surprise, showed that she was a damm good shot,,,,,,,,,,,,,, and better than he was himself. :oops: :oops:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 15 Apr 2019, 11:06 am

I actually don't find that a problem. My mate is proving herself to be quite a capable shot,and I couldn't be happier
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 15 Apr 2019, 11:31 am

There could be two sides to this question (1) if you tell her you may regret it or (2) if you don't tell her you still may regret it the reason i say that is i got my mrs and showed her how to shoot and one day (when i drank) me and a mate were sitting on the veranda plinking at a crow up in a tree about 250 yds away after a couple of stubbies and half box of ammo the crow was still there he knew something we didn't but it done him no good so then i had bought my mrs a 410 shottie for snakes so out she comes with the 410 (Let me have a shot) me and the mate looked at each other had a smile and i said ok long way for a 410
then bang that bloody crow dropped out of that tree our jaws hit the floor and the mrs all she could say was ''there you go done'' we went down to the crow and one bloody one pellet just one bloody pellet hit it right up the side of the head how unlucky wasthat crow the spread of the 410 should have been 2mtrs or more so now when we start mentioning our good shots she always brings up ''Remember that crow you said i wouldn't hit and laughed at me'' i said maybe i shouldn't have taught you to shoot and she said maybe i would have got someone else that would have taught me then laughed so mate you just gotta decide which of the two ways you want to be humilliated with either one will work trust me :thumbsup: :) :D :drinks:
Member-Deleted

Post by Sawyers » 15 Apr 2019, 12:25 pm

I bought my Mrs a gun, now shes part of the club
Sawyers
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 15 Apr 2019, 3:02 pm

I married a princess of the former Soviet Union, her stepfather was a soldier and served in Afghanistan. Any firearm that isn't an AK47 is inferior in her opinion so I don't get much grief about the guns or teaching our son to shoot. In fact she's quite supportive of my sport and always proud when he boys do well in competition. I set the bar with her early in our relationship when she raised concerns about the fast cars, bikes, guns and diving. I informed her in no uncertain terms that if she forced me to choose between her or the cars/bikes/guns then she'd have to open her own wine bottles :) If they love you then they'll support you even if they don't agree with you.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Apr 2019, 8:02 pm

Hey babe...wana see me shoot a hand load outa my hard blue varmint barrel... 8-)

:unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Apr 2019, 10:59 pm

Pardon ???? :wtf:

Cheap shot.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 16 Apr 2019, 12:15 am

brett1868 wrote:I married a princess of the former Soviet Union, her stepfather was a soldier and served in Afghanistan. Any firearm that isn't an AK47 is inferior in her opinion so I don't get much grief about the guns or teaching our son to shoot. In fact she's quite supportive of my sport and always proud when he boys do well in competition. I set the bar with her early in our relationship when she raised concerns about the fast cars, bikes, guns and diving. I informed her in no uncertain terms that if she forced me to choose between her or the cars/bikes/guns then she'd have to open her own wine bottles :) If they love you then they'll support you even if they don't agree with you.

Well you set the frame in place early. A lot of these dudes the mistake they make is not doing that but what they don't realize is that it becomes death by a thousand cuts. These guys just have to have a woman in their house so often they will compromise to the point the woman is really running the show and then these are the guys you see having to ask permission for the most basic of things. But what I have seen is women will take advantage of men they can control but they hate them for it. Women really want men to tell them this is the way it is and that's that. I think a lot of women from eastern Europe, Russia and Ukraine probably have a better understanding of traditional roles.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 16 Apr 2019, 9:27 am

Die Judicii wrote:Pardon ???? :wtf:

Cheap shot.

Cheap shot...at what...? :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 16 Apr 2019, 9:32 am

Gamerancher wrote:Blokes that tippy toe around stuff like this just need to grow a set!
If you have to appologise to your other half for everything you want to do in your life, be it shooting ,fishing, whatever, you are with the wrong person.

Bloody oath, don't put up with their bulls**t, if they don't like it tell em to POQ! :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Urastus » 16 Apr 2019, 9:35 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Blokes that tippy toe around stuff like this just need to grow a set!
If you have to appologise to your other half for everything you want to do in your life, be it shooting ,fishing, whatever, you are with the wrong person.

I kind of agree with gamerancher. You don't have to justify anything. You have the right to enjoy your passion while it legal, safe, and isn't harming others. I wouldn't volunteer anything - if she asks what you're up to when you are going off shooting, then just say "shooting". No explanation or justification - unless she asks more questions, then answer straight, and not from the back foot. You're an equal and an individual with your own interests and desires. Try not to be angry or defensive, just assertive, matter of fact. Be like Spock
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Apr 2019, 9:55 pm

I to like to bragg about how tough i'd be like in saying to the ladies ''I'm just going shooting and thats it '' but if the truth was known when we all climbed into bed that night with those lovely girls of ours and the aroma of roses woffts over and the wonderful smell of her with your favorate perfume and ready to play ''BUT THEN'' She whispers the guns or me i bet every last one of us would at that moment throw all our guns down the well ''BBut slit our wrists the next morning :thumbsup: :( ;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :violin:
Member-Deleted

Post by wanneroo » 17 Apr 2019, 12:45 am

I to like to bragg about how tough i'd be like in saying to the ladies ''I'm just going shooting and thats it '' but if the truth was known when we all climbed into bed that night with those lovely girls of ours and the aroma of roses woffts over and the wonderful smell of her with your favorate perfume and ready to play ''BUT THEN'' She whispers the guns or me i bet every last one of us would at that moment throw all our guns down the well ''BBut slit our wrists the next morning :thumbsup: :( ;) :) :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :drinks: :violin:

For dudes afflicted with Oneitus and the scarcity mindset, yes I can believe that.

I don't have that problem because as I learned, there is always another.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2019, 3:12 am

Nope. Bulldust. Way over the line....but geeeeeeeeez they are soft and cuddly in the morning eh?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by womble » 17 Apr 2019, 5:12 am

On the first date mention that you have an identical twin brother. Let’s call him Bill. Now that’s a good conversation starter anyway so no loss so far. You’re still in the game.
If you keep seeing her over time you just say that Bill has keys to your place. Obviously you trust him 100% because he’s your twin.
He’s into target shooting. Actually, f*** it, say he’s competing in the olympics. Trains on the weekends and stores stuff at your place.
Yeah so don’t worry if Bill drops by this weekend.
Oh yeah and we wear the same clothes because we’re identical twins, so obviously.

And you don’t really want a woman’s that’s too bright anyway. That’s a headache you don’t need.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Kel » 17 Apr 2019, 6:35 am

To the OP I would say just be open & honest with your lady friends, you like shooting and if they are not tolerant of your interest then you probably need better lady friends. Having to hide stuff from people who mean something to you isn't a great idea.

For what its worth my inner west girlfriend is the one who suggested that I get back into shooting.She is familiar with guns and happens to be a good shot. As we spent some time living in Sydney's inner west we have a bunch of friends from that area. These days we live on a farm - typically people are very interested in the day to day country living experience and I make sure that they get a balanced exposure to it by talking about guns and pest control as well as cute farm animals and growing our own food. During the recent election I also made sure they knew we were voting SFF and why. I see our current situation as a great way to keep it real for people we know who live in the city.

So I guess the point of that little story is the same as my initial point, if friends are intolerant of your point of view/interests then they are probably not really quality friends to begin with.
Kel
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Bruiser64 » 17 Apr 2019, 8:37 am

When my wife and I got together there was a gun cabinet downstairs and I made no secret of the fact I like shooting. I also like boating, fishing, motorcycles, golf and building stuff in my shed. My wife accepts I enjoy shooting, but isn’t in love with the idea. The thing is she grew up on a farm. Her brother is a farmer and he and I go shooting when I visit the farm. My view is I am her husband not her concubine. I respect her right to enjoy her hobbies. She respects my right to enjoy mine. Having said that it’s important we also enjoy doing things together. Balance is the important thing.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Noisydad » 17 Apr 2019, 6:37 pm

wanneroo wrote:I don't have that problem because as I learned, there is always another.

As I've found in the last ten years, shockingly easy to find too! ;)
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Apr 2019, 6:53 pm

womble wrote:On the first date mention that you have an identical twin brother. Let’s call him Bill. Now that’s a good conversation starter anyway so no loss so far. You’re still in the game.
If you keep seeing her over time you just say that Bill has keys to your place. Obviously you trust him 100% because he’s your twin.
He’s into target shooting. Actually, f*** it, say he’s competing in the olympics. Trains on the weekends and stores stuff at your place.
Yeah so don’t worry if Bill drops by this weekend.
Oh yeah and we wear the same clothes because we’re identical twins, so obviously.

And you don’t really want a woman’s that’s too bright anyway. That’s a headache you don’t need.

Gold!!!! I need Bill for...other things lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 17 Apr 2019, 10:21 pm

This might get me in trouble....Women are like dog turds, the older they get the easier they are to pick up :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 17 Apr 2019, 11:03 pm

brett1868 wrote:This might get me in trouble....Women are like dog turds, the older they get the easier they are to pick up :)

But...but...no... they...romance...companionsh...(deep sigh) ok, yes it's true.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Urastus » 17 Apr 2019, 11:53 pm

Nup. I'd never fall for that - an unnecessary ultimatum. I would consider that her choice, as it is.
Urastus
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by bigpete » 18 Apr 2019, 10:07 pm

Noisydad wrote:
brett1868 wrote:This might get me in trouble....Women are like dog turds, the older they get the easier they are to pick up :)

But...but...no... they...romance...companionsh...(deep sigh) ok, yes it's true.

What about younger ones lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 21 Apr 2019, 11:18 pm

I prefer not to tell them much at first. A messy breakup or DV order, not that I have ever had the latter and a magistrate is all over you like white on rice. Men already lose most court outcomes.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by snag » 22 Apr 2019, 7:09 pm

Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 23 Apr 2019, 12:55 am

snag wrote:Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.

I think a lot of men believe they can hook up with a woman and then change them afterwards, big mistake.

I agree with you, you set the frame from the beginning. This is who you are, what you do and if that doesn't work for them, there is the door.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 23 Apr 2019, 11:02 am

20190423_081415.jpg
20190423_081415.jpg (211.1 KiB) Viewed 3850 times
It's easy...
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Apr 2019, 6:50 pm

snag wrote:Never apologise for being a shooter. If the prospective partner is right for you, then they've gotta take the whole package - as do you. Do you really want to get long-term with someone who doesn't accept your shooting (or fishing or football or whatever) ? Recipe for misery, I reckon.

I think that sums it up. "you take the whole person" , including their past".

If you dont like it, then dump it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bustacap » 30 Apr 2019, 10:59 pm

I had this very problem some years ago. She grew up in a family of gun haters, real fanatics. We had two weeks holiday. I wanted to hunt, she wanted to lay around on the beach at Noosa. Being a caring and thoughtful partner, and also gods gift to women, I suggested we do her boring thing for the first week, and my awesome thing the second week. Fast forward past her boring week and we arrive at a property past Warwick that had a pretty good popultion of rabbits. To ease her into it I set some cans up for her to have a few shots at. She was keen to give it a go regardless of her parents attitude to guns. She had a bit to learn and we decided the gun for her would be the shotgun. The following day we went looking for rabbits, soon enough one ran out and sat within shotgun range. Being the gentleman that I am I offered her the first shot if she wanted it. To my surprise she took it. She lined the bunny up and blasted it. To my horror she only winged it, the worst outcome for both the first time hunter and the rabbit. To my complete surprise, she calmly chambered another round and finished what she had started. I assumed that would be the end of shooting for her. How wrong I was. I will try to put this into words but I do not think I can do it justice. I have never seen another human so exhilerated before or after that event. She vibrated with excitement, she was on a high for days that I don't think even drugs could not induce. Needless to say, I did not get much of a chance to shoot many bunnies that week because I had created a beautiful blonde killing machine that wanted them all to herself. Just remember girls like guns too. My mum shot competition handgun until she was 70.
Bustacap
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation