Service pistol recommendations

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Service pistol recommendations

Post by Emberskies » 22 Apr 2019, 10:09 pm

Im in the market for a centre fire to use in service matches. I currently use a ruger Mk3 22/45 target to learn the ropes but its time to step it up.
Now apparently 357 mag is the biggest that our range template will alow so a 686 is on the cards later on but im currently torn between 9mm and 38 super in a semi auto and I'm leaning more towards 38 super just to be a little different.
Whats out there thats half decent in 38 super? All i can find is CZ
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Service pistol recommendations

Post by GojiraSteve » 23 Apr 2019, 2:39 pm

I had a Tanfoglio on 38super once upon a time.

Really well made gun, good to shoot. Based on the CZ. The brand wasn't as common as it is now and I bought it for almost exactly the same reasons as you. Stand out from the 1911's and Glocks etc.

TBH if I could do it again I'd happily take a CZ variant but I'd go 9mm no matter what brand I picked. Ammo is WAY cheaper, WAY easier to find, and easier to shoot by enough of a margin that you'll notice it.
In hindsight I really don't think 38 Super offers any advantage in a purely target pistol.

Oh and when you get around to your revolver give a Ruger GP100 a try. Personally I liked it better than the 686
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Service pistol recommendations

Post by Emberskies » 25 Apr 2019, 6:26 pm

I've decided on a CZ75 SP-01 in 9mm. Seems like its a well respected and liked handgun. The 38 super sounds like a bit of a pain for the minimal gain.
Emberskies
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers