Announcement: New (and improved) moderation system now live

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Announcement: New (and improved) moderation system now l

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Apr 2019, 7:02 pm

Has Gaznazdiak been a victim of this new Moderation? Haven't seen hide nor hair of him lately.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 25 Apr 2019, 9:58 pm

Its funny you should say that BFS I was only thinking that the other day (His absence I mean)
Member-Deleted

Post by tom604 » 25 Apr 2019, 10:53 pm

a couple of questions,,say ive been a bad boy three times but over five years and haven't been a shoit stirrer, just had three brain fades,,,,still gone?

so ive been banned/exiled/excommunicated or just told to hoof it,,,is it forever or can i come back after a time? and if so ,how long? :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Stix » 25 Apr 2019, 10:56 pm

I cant imsgine why Gaz wouldv been kicked off...
Sure he talks but he's not a trouble maker....well not that i see anyway... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Apollo » 25 Apr 2019, 11:14 pm

Who says "Gaz" has been kicked off... He posted yesterday.

Don't believe what BFS say's... he's full of wind.... :allegedly:
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 26 Apr 2019, 6:32 am

Gaz's last post appears to have been on the 24th of March, and he is not showing as 'member deleted'. Maybe he's not posting much any more because he's got the curlies that a lot of his posts/threads have been deleted because someone has taken offence to them, and not had the courtesy to inform why.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Apr 2019, 9:45 am

Apollo wrote:Who says "Gaz" has been kicked off... He posted yesterday.

Don't believe what BFS say's... he's full of wind.... :allegedly:

Your about a month behind, and yes I'm full of wind but at least I'm not full of piss :D :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 26 Apr 2019, 11:04 am

If I understand the arrangements, Only some ppl can/will see what he (I assume others as well) posts up - due to him adding some members, including myself, as a “foe”...or I think that’s how it works.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 26 Apr 2019, 12:56 pm

It's pretty simple who gets kicked off this forum it's those who disrespect people continuously and for how long will depend on how bad it has been and it will be up to the moderators I presume we as adults don't have to act like pork chops on or off a forum I think we get a good run on here and a lot of very good information has been passed around as for Gaz I think he may have took time out to catch his breath or something lets hope nothing is wrong :thumbsup:
Member-Deleted

Post by mickb » 27 Apr 2019, 4:14 pm

bladeracer wrote:mickb,

Are you thinking of mediation perhaps?

No though the terms can be interpreted different ways. From wikipedia
"A discussion moderator or debate moderator is a person whose role is to act as a neutral participant in a debate or discussion, holds participants to time limits and tries to keep them from straying off the topic of the questions being raised in the debate. Sometimes moderators may ask questions intended to allow the debate participants to fully develop their argument in order to ensure the debate moves at pace"
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blackened » 28 Apr 2019, 5:59 pm

Mick, you're putting far too much thought into this mate.

This isn't about bankruptcy, criminal law, or any of the other references your initial post compared to.

It's a forum, we all know what a 'moderator' and 'moderation' mean in that context.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 28 Apr 2019, 6:04 pm

trekin wrote:Maybe he's not posting much any more because he's got the curlies that a lot of his posts/threads have been deleted because someone has taken offence to them, and not had the courtesy to inform why.

If a warning is added to your account you will be notified on this, and the reasons behind it.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Blackened » 28 Apr 2019, 6:10 pm

tom604 wrote:a couple of questions,,say ive been a bad boy three times but over five years and haven't been a shoit stirrer, just had three brain fades,,,,still gone?

so ive been banned/exiled/excommunicated or just told to hoof it,,,is it forever or can i come back after a time? and if so ,how long? :thumbsup:

I would say mate that if you're the kind that goes years between 'brain fades', you've got nothing to worry about.

We're not looking to leap on people over every small thing, or hold endless grudges, just get rid of the people who continually can't help themselves.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 13 Jun 2019, 5:48 pm

there is a couple of guys I have noticed missing in action and was wondering if they would be having the same problem I have that is I cannot log in without using a vpn
I'm not sure what is going on but maybe they dont use one and just thought they could not connect :unknown:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 13 Jun 2019, 8:05 pm

Some just quit.I have seen a few go over the years,
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:22 pm

It would be good if the mods can set up something under their profile pic that indicates if they have been sin binned or completely banned that way we know why they are no longer here on the forum.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2019, 5:59 pm

I think that already shows bigfella...

Well the way i see it is when it says "member deleted" in place of name/avatar, that indicates that particular member has been banned...
:unknown:
Other than that i guess they just leave & we're left broken hearted & wondering why... :violin:
(Or blame me for upsetting them... 8-) )
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 14 Jun 2019, 6:46 pm

JSS wrote:Over the years i've been a member of road bike, dirt bike, 4wd, fishing and even a caravan forum and i have to say this is by far the best forum with the least amount of fighting and insult throwing. Funny isn't it, the crazy gun nuts are the friendliest bunch :D
The caravaners are the worst by far, they are a bunch of opinionated grumpy old bastards!! :lol:

Try a Stock Market forum!. those can get ugly really fast!!
This forum is pretty chilled compared to most. :drinks:
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2019, 8:43 pm

Stix wrote:I think that already shows bigfella...

Well the way i see it is when it says "member deleted" in place of name/avatar, that indicates that particular member has been banned...
:unknown:
Other than that i guess they just leave & we're left broken hearted & wondering why... :violin:
(Or blame me for upsetting them... 8-) )

Now you mention that I do remember seeing that :D it would be nice to have something indicating if someone is sin binned for a week or 2 type thing, at least we know they will be back if they so choose to do so.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2019, 8:47 pm

Why...?...so you can see when my mouth gets me a slap on the wrist...or a good spanking if im really having a bad day... :unknown:

:lol:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2019, 8:58 pm

either or! :D nah so we know when they can start up again and it help when it comes to determining the market movers and what odds to put up on the betting. :D Your odds on at the moment, almost moving up to outright favourite. :lol: :sarcasm: :friends:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Aster » 15 Jun 2019, 11:55 am

marksman wrote:there is a couple of guys I have noticed missing in action and was wondering if they would be having the same problem I have that is I cannot log in without using a vpn
I'm not sure what is going on but maybe they dont use one and just thought they could not connect :unknown:

Wouldn't be a problem with your provider blocking "weapons" content as some of them are prone to?

You'd be the first to mention such a thing. With or without VPN should no make no difference at all.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2019, 11:25 pm

Blackened wrote:Mick, you're putting far too much thought into this mate.

This isn't about bankruptcy, criminal law, or any of the other references your initial post compared to.

It's a forum, we all know what a 'moderator' and 'moderation' mean in that context.

Sorry I missed this reply.

The criminal references were just to indicate people can make mistakes and have the counter re-set. If they can do that for a jail sentence its strange when talk boards take it more seriously.

As to putting too much thought it into, it was just an old fart warning. I have seen a lot of sites fail from poor moderation over the last 20+ years. I watched hunt america, sword forum, TMHL and cordite go altogether, and every time it was with the best intentions of managment.

I dont think any of it is an issue here, this seems to be a classy establishment to tell the truth. The jackass to knowledge ratio is very low, smart ass one line comments are low, when you ask a question you get answers not an inquisition into why you asked it. :D

Reminds me of cast boolits, accurate reloading, and paco kellys lever guns, three of the best on the net. :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Aster » 16 Jun 2019, 9:59 am

Forgot to address this in my last reply... Regarding the queries about bans, deleted accounts etc.:

As it suggests, posts by "Member-Deleted" are from when an account has actually been removed. This is not a 'ban'. If an account it baned, the author remains visible and posts are still attributed to that account, the account is just no longer usable.

On the subject of missing members and how many have been banned... We haven't banned anyone since the new moderation system came in. We have issued a number of warnings though, and a few people have apparently taken umbrage with receiving one and decided to no longer participate in the forum as a result. So be it.

BFS, for the purposes of saving members from asking questions/waiting for replies from a banned account, some indication of a ban could be useful. I will think on that.
Aster

-

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 12:23 pm

Aster wrote:Forgot to address this in my last reply... Regarding the queries about bans, deleted accounts etc.:

As it suggests, posts by "Member-Deleted" are from when an account has actually been removed. This is not a 'ban'. If an account it baned, the author remains visible and posts are still attributed to that account, the account is just no longer usable.

On the subject of missing members and how many have been banned... We haven't banned anyone since the new moderation system came in. We have issued a number of warnings though, and a few people have apparently taken umbrage with receiving one and decided to no longer participate in the forum as a result. So be it.

BFS, for the purposes of saving members from asking questions/waiting for replies from a banned account, some indication of a ban could be useful. I will think on that.

So Aster, what is the difference--as in, what actions constitute being completely deleted (name removed/witheld), as to being banned but remain visible for all to see..?

Is the latter, given you will label them 'approriately' as banned, a shame thing...?

Cheers
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Aster » 16 Jun 2019, 2:00 pm

Hey Stix,

A ban will always just be a ban. That is, the account exists but when the member tries to log in they will be told they're banned. All posts etc. will remain to provide continuity in topics where they have posted.

From time to time we may have reason to delete an account, but this is unrelated to being banned.
Aster

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 2:14 pm

I can't see how the intelligent people need a visible notice when they have been removed other than the one issued by the moderators you can't tell me that when you are going to or have insulted someone that you don't know that you have done it or going to do it there are ways to talk to people in public which this forum is and there are ways to talk to people in private what you do in private is your business but what you do in public has to be respectful and morally sound if you disrespect someone or people and disregard it then you are letting your own morals down and loosing the respect from the people and the moderators these forums are also I presume covered by an ethical code of conduct so things and people don't get out of hand there are many on here who just want to cruise and debate guns and the like but if others want to chatter about other things like politics, science ,vegans and so on then do it respectfully this conversation keeps coming up and it doesn't seem to have sunk in to some people the answer to not getting banned is be respectful putting a notice up for all to see may be ok but won't solve the problem tact, respect ,common sense are the key surely its not too hard to do those
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 4:05 pm

I don't see that anyone is asking how to 'not' get banned here...rather the questions i read recently are more about being able to clarify if & who have been banned, along with the difference of a ban vs being deleted--nothing about aaking how to be respectful

Also, while i get your point about being respectful & how to talk to people, i think its wise to always look back a little...

What im saying is---if you walk into a front bar & after just 10 minutes you see a bloke get clobbered just because he talked to a woman, its probably wise to not pull complete judgement on the punch thrower & the few people who quietly applaud...reason being, you have probably missed the fact the bloke who just copped a flogging, has probably 'felt up'& sexually harassed a few women in the pub, along with stolen a few blokes pile of coin on the bar when they go for a leak...this pushing tolerance levels to the brink.

If we take away the opportunity to call someone a few names because they have most likely stirred up the trouble in the first place, we will end up being like Vietnam, China or Nth Korea where everyone who comments negatively about politics gets shot..!....hell--we're not too far off it these days anyway what with not being able to call a lesbian, a lesbian...!!

People have a right to stick up for themselves, & call out antagonists, after all this is not violence, its a few words...

I think you'd find with most cases that looks like someone is being 'disrespectful', if you look back a little, you'll more often than not find they have been continually & surruptiosly rude, antagonistic & insulting in the first place...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 Jun 2019, 4:55 pm

Yes stix mate I understand what you are saying and I've been in a few dust ups very similar to what you describe but mate you can't be judge and executioner if you go into a pub as you described and act like a dick then you most likely will be in a would of hurt that's life I agree what you do is you decision but on a public forum there is no need for it if you were off the forum and you called some one a whatever the you will most likely be face to face to them and that's your private space but if you stood on the top balcony of the opra house and shouted to the bloke in the bottom front seat then it becomes public and will be dealt with in some form if some one is antagonistic or rude on a forum then you have the intellect to stop him in his tracks respectfully outside in the public domain that's another matter and a belt to the head may bring them to their senses as in the pub but on the other hand I've seen innocent people harmed as well so its a big world out there and we deal with it but on a controlled forum we have time to think and ponder our replies big difference to pubs or anywhere off the net as for being a little off topic I apologise for that
Member-Deleted

Post by Blackened » 16 Jun 2019, 9:31 pm

Locking this now.
Blackened

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Off topic - General conversation