6mm 85gr Bthp - Sierra gameking

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

6mm 85gr Bthp - Sierra gameking

Post by Cal-ApeR » 08 May 2019, 2:59 pm

Hi all,

I picked up a heap of the 85gr Bthp - Sierra gameking few weeks back for a great price.
I'm getting some loads together for a trip in about a months time. Expecting small-medium pigs and usual ferals.

My research on this bullet shows that our American brothers use it with great success on deer and small predators. There are bugger all reviews from people using it in pigs.

Has anyone used these on pigs? If so, how did they perform? I'm not usually one for using HPs on thicker skinned animals but then again I've used the Speer 130hp on pigs in my 308 and they almost cut things in half. Sierra also recommend this bullet as a deer bullet, must hold together well.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 6mm 85gr Bthp - Sierra gameking

Post by GQshayne » 08 May 2019, 7:49 pm

Hmmmm……… I dunno. I used 85gn Sierras in my .243 for a very long time, before going to 87-90 projectiles such as the Hornady Interlock. The Sierra's I used were normal soft points, and they accounted for many good sized pigs at ranges up to 200m. I am not sure that a hollow point would be my choice though.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Cal-ApeR » 08 May 2019, 10:43 pm

GQshayne wrote:Hmmmm……… I dunno. I used 85gn Sierras in my .243 for a very long time, before going to 87-90 projectiles such as the Hornady Interlock. The Sierra's I used were normal soft points, and they accounted for many good sized pigs at ranges up to 200m. I am not sure that a hollow point would be my choice though.

Shayne, these we my thoughts also. I've got some 95gr nosler balistic tips (game ones) that I can use instead but was curious to see if anyone has experience with them. these are definitely flagged by Sierra as a game bullet not just varmint.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 08 May 2019, 11:14 pm

If you are unsure, dont get the decisive you're after & decide not to take them as your primary ammo...still load up a few & try them on some closer range game to see how they perform.
Then you will know for next time... :thumbsup:

Sorry i cant be more help...no pigs where i am...
:D
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 09 May 2019, 5:31 pm

Not a bad idea stix. Might give that a try.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 May 2019, 7:08 pm

The other thing is carry 2 or 3 in a seperate pocket to use as a finishing round for game thats been grounded...
You can drop one in the top if that opportunity arises for a clear shot on one that isnt aware of your presence.
Dont mean to bang on, you get the idea...

Never shot a pig myself...wish i could come...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 09 May 2019, 10:54 pm

Unfortunately for me Stix, it's still a drive. 5 hours from my place but the buggers are around. Nothing like the big boars up north. I hope to chase them one day. My problem is have 3 kids under 4 and trying to find time. Got lucky with a good Mrs who knows it does me for to get away. Deer would be my preferred hunt but very hard to get on in Qld.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 11 May 2019, 7:41 pm

I know you have family that makes it hard to get away, but 5 hours is pretty close I reckon. The last property I had to hunt on (sold now unfortunately) was a straight 22 hour drive to get there.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 11 May 2019, 8:53 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Unfortunately for me Stix, it's still a drive. 5 hours from my place but the buggers are around. Nothing like the big boars up north. I hope to chase them one day. My problem is have 3 kids under 4 and trying to find time. Got lucky with a good Mrs who knows it does me for to get away. Deer would be my preferred hunt but very hard to get on in Qld.

Fair enough mate...
If thats the case then...load em up & go...!!

As i ssid ive not shot a pig so im one of the least qualified here to answer, bit if a 223 kills pigs, they're gonna kill pigs arent they--especially if you hit em in the right spot...!! its just a matter of how efficient they kill...so go shoot em in the right spot...!!
You could always load up half of your ammo with them & half with what you've used before...(im assuming youve got an existing proven load)
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 May 2019, 8:37 pm

Haha, no I don't actually, this is my new 243.
I had mixed results with my range testing. There is promise in both the 85gr hpbt and nosler 95BT. I'm most keen to get the 85gr load sorted in time for my trip. Not sure it will happen. For some reason the right likes Federal 80gr factory so I do have a fall back....
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Col » 14 May 2019, 9:58 pm

FWIW Cal I use the Sierra 80 SPBT on pigs, and any other game, all the time. While not the HP, the 80gn SP work really well. I have only had 1 big pig stop running and look at me after I hit him just behind the rib cage. The next shot from 100m dropped him cold.

Remember to have a look at where to aim. Pigs have their heart and lungs in the bottom third of their rib cage. Much lower down than other animals (which is surprising). I think this has to do with the armour on their shoulders and front. I will defer to others with more knowledge regarding this.

Anyway just remember to have a ball. Nothing beats drilling a few pigs. They are cunning and sometimes difficult game.

:)

Col
Col
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by dando223 » 19 May 2019, 2:20 pm

Hi Cal, the 85gr Sierra HPBT is all I ever use in my 243 for pigs after trying a bunch of different pills. I've used 95gr Hornady SST's & Nosler 90gr BT's for a long time as well and I cant tell a single difference between the way these and the Sierra kill at all. I settled on the Sierra because it shoots really well in my 243. This isnt a regular varmint super soft hollow point. It seems to hold together pretty well especially at a bit further out. I've done a few autopsies on a few medium to large sized pigs and they seem to not open up straight away but instead go in a couple of inches and then start opening. The SSTs and Ballistic tips seemed to start opening straight away so in my experience at least the Sierra is a harder bullet.
Its a great bullet for the 243 and in all fairness to it, if i put one where it needs to go it drops the pigs just as quick as my .270 out to a couple of hundred metres with less boom and kick and less powder too. Definitely a bullet worth a try and i reckon you will see why the yanks love it so much as a deer bullet if you get to roll a few pigs with it.
dando223
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Cal-ApeR » 24 May 2019, 7:15 pm

dando223 wrote:Hi Cal, the 85gr Sierra HPBT is all I ever use in my 243 for pigs after trying a bunch of different pills. I've used 95gr Hornady SST's & Nosler 90gr BT's for a long time as well and I cant tell a single difference between the way these and the Sierra kill at all. I settled on the Sierra because it shoots really well in my 243. This isnt a regular varmint super soft hollow point. It seems to hold together pretty well especially at a bit further out. I've done a few autopsies on a few medium to large sized pigs and they seem to not open up straight away but instead go in a couple of inches and then start opening. The SSTs and Ballistic tips seemed to start opening straight away so in my experience at least the Sierra is a harder bullet.
Its a great bullet for the 243 and in all fairness to it, if i put one where it needs to go it drops the pigs just as quick as my .270 out to a couple of hundred metres with less boom and kick and less powder too. Definitely a bullet worth a try and i reckon you will see why the yanks love it so much as a deer bullet if you get to roll a few pigs with it.

Mate this is gold, exactly the info I was after. I got the range today and settled on a load for 40gr 2209. Grouping about .5-.75". Should work fine. I was really hitting steel at 300&400 so I think she's good to go.
I did have some dramas chambering a few though which has lead me to starting another thread. Thanksgiving everyone for the feedback. If I knock a few over, I'll be sure to report back.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Reloading ammunition