Quality control issue been resolved yet ?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Quality control issue been resolved yet ?

Post by Die Judicii » 20 May 2014, 3:18 pm

Hi,
When I bought my Marlin XLR 336, it was fortunately just before the Remington take over that resulted in the so called "Marlingtons" which seemed to have serious quality issues.
Can anyone tell me if the quality of Marlins has since been improved, and also for that matter, what quality are the Remingtons these days ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Quality control issue been resolved yet ?

Post by Baldrick314 » 20 May 2014, 7:58 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Hi,
When I bought my Marlin XLR 336, it was fortunately just before the Remington take over that resulted in the so called "Marlingtons" which seemed to have serious quality issues.
Can anyone tell me if the quality of Marlins has since been improved, and also for that matter, what quality are the Remingtons these days ?

I bought a Remington Varmint SF around 2 years ago (not sure if this is in the time period you mean) it holds MOA or under with factory and half MOA with handloads. Never had a problem with it at all.

I've heard a lot of people bag remington's quality control but I've never seen any of the faults they talk about
.177, .22lr, .22-250R, 2x .308W, .30-30W, 7.62x54r, 8x56r, 9x19, .357 Mag, 12GA
Baldrick314
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Adro » 20 May 2014, 8:33 pm

I purchased a Marlin GBL 45-70 about 2 months ago. I was reading horror stories on the net about the woeful quality of these rifles, but decided to take the gamble any way.

The action cycled fine, wasn't rough in anyway. There were no burrs on any of the components
The stock fitment wasn't the best. The checkering on the stock is woeful.
The blueing seems inadequate, I have to keep it oiled fairly well to avoid rust spots appearing.
I had a problem with hammer not staying cocked when pushed back by the bolt some of the time, but I seem to have fixed this by installing a new hammer from Brownells.
The rifle feeds and ejects perfectly.

All in all the finish of the gun is not the best, compared to a different brand for the same money, but I still enjoy shooting it!
Adro
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 20 May 2014, 9:20 pm

I think you mean remlins (gremlins)
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Centerfire rifles