Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Double barrel, side by side, over-under, semi-automatic, straight-pull and lever action shotguns.

Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 2:39 am

During my research before buying a lever action, I came across something that might spark some conversation on the forum.
I don’t condone nor support this - but found it interesting nonetheless.

A person that I don’t personally know, other than for the fact he was at a gun shop at the same time as myself, heard my thoughts being expressed about buying an Adler.

This person (Ole Mate) then showed me his modified straight pull...not sure of the model.

So, OM, had fitted a slotted piece of pvc pipe (hindsight it could have been two parts plastic welded) , around the outside of the tubular magazine, with a external tang that ran along the side and secured the “pull” knob, into the pvc slide.
The pvc had a Teflon Coated interior that slid on the existing tubular magazine - which itself was lightly modified in a manner that I can’t really describe...but it seemed to have a couple of lugs x 2 that helped secure the tube into the slotted pvc to hold it all together.
The external pvc was painted, engraved with Winchester style lines and it all made the firearm look pretty darn factory.

It was efficient - cycling the straight pull action, exactly the same as a pump action, which begged the question...if OM hasn’t modified the internals, nor has he really improved the “potential” rate of fire - is he outside the legal framework?
I personally would not risk it either way, but he honestly believed he would be on the positive side of a grey line...me, I’m not so sure...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Re: Straight pull 12g illegally mod to pump

Post by trekin » 16 May 2019, 5:07 am

I could be wrong here, but I'm pretty sure that all jurisdictions have within their firearms laws, some section that specifically specifies that modifying how a firearm functions to the same as that of a firearm in another category is illegal unless you are a smith/amourer, and illegal to possess unless you have the appropriate licence (or are a crimimal, in which case the laws don't mean diddle squat to you anyway).
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 May 2019, 6:58 am

Sounds like old mate might be a terrorist waiting to happen with his shotgun modified for superior fire power, extra high powered, rapid fire, loophole jumping, military death machine.

I've often wondered how a straight pull would go with a cordless drill battery powered, long stroke electric solinoid triggered by a momentary switch to cycle the action.... but I'm too much of an upstanding law abiding citizen to find out.
P613.jpg
P613.jpg (66.66 KiB) Viewed 19340 times

I'm sure that somewhere out there there'll be a country free enough to allow it's citizens to try.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 May 2019, 10:36 am

Nah mste...its modified to function in the same manner as a pump, & if he is not licenced for that category & is caught by an anti believer copper in a mood, it'll be the last time he sees his of his guns for a bit.

If coppers can throw the book at you for using a coke bottle as a form of sound moderator, & also for inadvertantly leaving a 12g round on your loading bench, rest assured they'll re-sleeve his poop shoot with all manner of firearms charges...

Either way, if he thinks he can sucessfully argue the point & win, it will be with the lengthy & costly aid of a lawyer, courtroom, & barrister, not to mention be without a gun in his shoulder for the (id guess atleast 2 yrs) while the entire saga finds its way accross desks & into &back out of court...

Also, he must have a lot of spare time & cash to be flaunting a gamble in a gun shop like that... ;) 8-)

In any case, i figured/assumed straight pull's were just modified semi's...so wouldnt it be easier, & more conspicuous to just change springs & modify internals so the only way a novice coppee can tell its now a semi is to live fire it.... :unknown:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pomemax » 16 May 2019, 1:24 pm

Don,t say what gun shop they could get in a world of hurt for not reporting for Ole Mate I can see a row of Sh*t houses getting tipped over but showing a modified firearm to a stranger in a gun shop he may not be the sharpest knife in the draw.
I can see another storm comming watch the report https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-30/ ... ns/9807790
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 16 May 2019, 2:36 pm

so the action runs from the forend... in a pump manner.
its a pump shotgun, his an idiot.
if he has a dealers license he prob has a,b,c,d,e,h anycase...
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 4:25 pm

He didn’t have the firearm in the gun shop - he had it locked in boot of vehicle.
He over heard me saying I was applying for cat C but changed my mind due to red tape.

It was his opinion that the fire arm is still a straight pull shotgun - he has made a simplistic amendment, that simply helps him activate the straight pull action...

I can kinda see his point...if I squint real hard and block both ears - but in this stage, he’d be done for replication regardless...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2019, 4:26 pm

I reckon the cops who read this forum for info like this will be coming knocking on your door Tassie Tiger and asking for more info. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 4:31 pm

Wha? Who? Hacked account, eh? Anyone wants me - I’m under the bed.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2019, 4:37 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Wha? Who? Hacked account, eh? Anyone wants me - I’m under the bed.

Oh no they are much more sophisticated than that these days - hope everythings in order at home :D they watch this forum and all the other forums etc to find out about illegal activities such as this so don't be surprised if they do come a knockin. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 16 May 2019, 4:51 pm

here, have one of these...
Attachments
go to.jpg
go to.jpg (33.44 KiB) Viewed 19184 times
Member-Deleted

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 4:56 pm

Oh well. My name is Tassie Tiger and it has been a pleasure :-).
On another note - I saw an Adler on used guns that had a some ropey type stuff wrapped around the lever - makes it easier on the knuckles...is that modified?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 May 2019, 6:37 pm

Lol...
Just delete the post Tassie...you're not breaking the law mate...thats pretty clear... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 7:54 pm

It makes for an interesting discussion point - your not legally allowed to modify a firearm...but ppl do it and maybe don’t realise it...

There’s a slow motion video of a Dickson straight pull on YouTube - under recoil, the bolt moves back 50-60% of the way to almost cock it and reload itself, but just doesn’t quite make it - so as Stix said, there are easier ways if someone was so inclined.
The motor is another potential engineering marvel that would see the gun categorised as something different...but all said and done - that thumb action link above? Phwoooaarrrt.....if that comes in, it HAS to be a C class surely?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2019, 8:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Oh well. My name is Tassie Tiger and it has been a pleasure :-).
On another note - I saw an Adler on used guns that had a some ropey type stuff wrapped around the lever - makes it easier on the knuckles...is that modified?

Nope hasn't modified the way the action works. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 16 May 2019, 8:57 pm

Neither does a plastic pipe, that pushes against the straight pull lever...the action itself works, exactly the same...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by cracker » 16 May 2019, 9:29 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Neither does a plastic pipe, that pushes against the straight pull lever...the action itself works, exactly the same...

bar the fact you have added a pump forend ?
the basic action of a "straight pull" and a pump gun are basically the same... sorta they are more like a broken semi auto.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 16 May 2019, 9:46 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Neither does a plastic pipe, that pushes against the straight pull lever...the action itself works, exactly the same...

Spot on Tassie...spot on... :thumbsup:

Unfortunately however, the prosecution will argue intent etc etc...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 May 2019, 10:02 pm

cracker wrote:

the basic action of a "straight pull" and a pump gun are basically the same... sorta they are more like a broken semi auto.

Thats not true cracker...!!...apparently if you have a pump you need to navigate through another costly level of govt administration that somehow stops you being a danger to society...
If however you buy a straight pull, which for some actually provides a quicker rate of fire, you will bot be a danger to society... :thumbsup:

Its funny how the manufacturers take the piss out of our laws by modifying a semi auto to a straight pull & negotiate it into the country, but if you (we) did it, it'd be good night nelly & be shipped off in the back of the old wagon to the lock-up with Terrence the Terrorist,,,
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by cracker » 16 May 2019, 10:27 pm

Stix wrote:
cracker wrote:

Thats not true cracker...!!...apparently if you have a pump you need to navigate through another costly level of govt administration that somehow stops you being a danger to society...
If however you buy a straight pull, which for some actually provides a quicker rate of fire, you will bot be a danger to society... :thumbsup:

Its funny how the manufacturers take the piss out of our laws by modifying a semi auto to a straight pull & negotiate it into the country, but if you (we) did it, it'd be good night nelly & be shipped off in the back of the old wagon to the lock-up with Terrence the Terrorist,,,

im not sure how too compare a pump shotgun to a straight pull, iv never used a straight pull and im sure they are fine... but you can empty a pump shot gun very fast.

not really taking the piss out of the laws its actually a very clever way for them to be able to sell a product in australia, that savage leaver release 22lr thing would have never been able to be sold here if the semi auto version was aswell its clever marketing.
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by knowsnothin » 16 May 2019, 10:37 pm

yes. its possible to illegally modify an existing firearm. however,

"The discussion or promotion of illegal activities is prohibited"

per 'enough gun'. i don't know why this thread has been allowed to live this long.

i don't think this discussion helps us in anyway. it will be picked up by muppets who will have no idea and use it for their purposes.

Want a cat C firearm? jump the hoops.
knowsnothin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Goose#24 » 16 May 2019, 10:53 pm

I personally think ole mate is crazy to be telling people about his modifications let alone showing people. Especially in hobart of all places, tassie is a small place... it's probably the same person I herd talking to a shop owner about the idea of how easy it would be when he was looking at a straight pull? :?
Goose#24
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 16 May 2019, 11:02 pm

You tell em that when they come stormin through ya door mate, I'm sure they will agree with ya and are only there to tell ya so :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 7:50 am

I posted this up as a discussion point - not a how to, not an agreement with...a discussion point is for education - it’s not illegal.

Regardless of how an action is cycled, if your not changing the true intent of that action - is it illegal? This guy - I think would be done regardless, call it an example of, call it a replication of arms that he may? Not have been licensed for (it’s true he may well have had cat C) but for the purpose of discussion has he really changed the firearms true cycling action ? I’m not 100% sure. If you place a piece of plastic through a lever action to help you cycle the lever, have you modded the action?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 8:06 am

TassieTiger wrote:I posted this up as a discussion point - not a how to, not an agreement with...a discussion point is for education - it’s not illegal.

Regardless of how an action is cycled, if your not changing the true intent of that action - is it illegal? This guy - I think would be done regardless, call it an example of, call it a replication of arms that he may? Not have been licensed for (it’s true he may well have had cat C) but for the purpose of discussion has he really changed the firearms true cycling action ? I’m not 100% sure. If you place a piece of plastic through a lever action to help you cycle the lever, have you modded the action?

You ask em when they show up mate, they will be only too happy to assist in the matter and answer all your questions after you've answered theirs. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 8:09 am

Mate - good coffee calms everyone...trust me :sarcasm:
Once I see the black vans start pulling up, the little robot cameras - I’ll know that “ coffee “ is no longer on the table lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 17 May 2019, 8:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:Mate - good coffee calms everyone...trust me :sarcasm:
Once I see the black vans start pulling up, the little robot cameras - I’ll know that “ coffee “ is no longer on the table lol

Nah it will be all over the room let alone the table :lol: :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 17 May 2019, 8:21 am

I should ring firearms and get their official position...would be interesting.
Lay your bets gentlemen
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by FNQ » 17 May 2019, 8:37 am

We all modify guns with rails, scopes, bipods & stocks etc.

Assume this straight pull “enhancer” is removable.

However strapping coke bottles or oil filters etc to barrels is frowned upon.

Personally I wouldn’t do it.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 17 May 2019, 8:42 am

To put your mind at ease, Tas, the internals are not the only part that defines function. The external means of operating the internals is also part of that definition. A straight pull requires you to move the hand with your trigger finger away from the trigger to cycle the handle, a pump does not. A pump action can be slam fired, a straight pull can not. As very nearly all so called straight pul shotties here have spring assised return to battery, then to do as OM has done would also require some modification to the internals.
I would suggest OM is at best, a backyard smith (illegally), trying to drum up business, or at worst, an undercover cop trying to make the lie about LAFOs being the problem into some half arsed truth.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Shotguns - 12 gauge, 28 gauge, 410 bore etc.