enfield conversions to 45ACP

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

enfield conversions to 45ACP

Post by mickb » 15 May 2019, 1:21 pm

Saw something interesting online, some guys in the USA converting No.4's to fire 45CP. Wondered if anyone has seen, owned or used the finished product in Australia? I dont think it would be a solution for anything, just a fun plinker.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: enfield conversions to 45ACP

Post by GojiraSteve » 15 May 2019, 1:32 pm

There was one on usedguns a month or two back. Bout the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

My memory might be failing me but I think there was an actual military issue conversion built by the OSS for covert ops back in the 40s or 50s. Integrally suppressed maybe?

Try the forgotten weapons channel on youtube I think he did a thing on them.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by trekin » 15 May 2019, 2:48 pm

Google The De Lisle carbine or De Lisle Commando carbine.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 15 May 2019, 3:46 pm

mickb wrote:Saw something interesting online, some guys in the USA converting No.4's to fire 45CP. Wondered if anyone has seen, owned or used the finished product in Australia? I dont think it would be a solution for anything, just a fun plinker.

Yes, but it does require a new barrel. One of the .32's might be a better choice. Could probably just use a chamber insert to save rechambering the barrel.
Or even easier, and cheaper, just shoot reduced loads of .303 :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 15 May 2019, 4:16 pm

bladeracer wrote:
mickb wrote:Saw something interesting online, some guys in the USA converting No.4's to fire 45CP. Wondered if anyone has seen, owned or used the finished product in Australia? I dont think it would be a solution for anything, just a fun plinker.

Yes, but it does require a new barrel. One of the .32's might be a better choice. Could probably just use a chamber insert to save rechambering the barrel.
Or even easier, and cheaper, just shoot reduced loads of .303 :-)

Unless you want to collect and shoot all of the different variants of the old Enfield. I think there is a smith here in Aus who makes them, although the moderator is only a barrel shroud, and only for looks.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mickb » 15 May 2019, 5:00 pm

yes pretty much as you say trekin, not meant to be a solution to a problem so much as just interesting for some people, eg historical angle. That delilse is a rare bird, integrally supressed yep, extremely sought after for collections in the US. It also has modifications I can't recall which weaken the action strength, though they were only meant for subsonic loads anyway.

The specialinterestarms.com versions, which are the ones avialable now, the guys in the US load up 45 super in( high pressure version of 45ACP brass, same dimensions). Some of them are pushing them out past 1500fps with 230grain. Decent pig stopping power at short/medium range. I'd like the idea of the 45's tiny power loads, its less capacity than a 357 mag, can plink with 3-4 grain trailboss loads.
Last edited by mickb on 16 May 2019, 4:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by marksman » 15 May 2019, 5:12 pm

I have seen them in 45acp as well as 9mm
they were a suppressed assassins rifle
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mickb » 15 May 2019, 7:26 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:There was one on usedguns a month or two back. Bout the ugliest thing I've ever seen.

Do you remember the price by any chance? My buddy was looking at getting one done by a local importer of the kits but it was something like $2000+ on top of the price of the donor rifle. A bit much for a plinking rifle.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 15 May 2019, 11:15 pm

There was a guy on one of the forums I belong to that made a faux 45 ACP De Lisle carbine on his own. If I find the thread I'll post it.

There was also a company in the USA that made them in very small numbers recently but I think they might have gone out of business.

So there is probably enough know how out there to make one if someone so desired.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by mickb » 16 May 2019, 4:33 am

Cheers waneroo. The two US groups doing 45acp conversions are rhineland though they do mausers only and also dont export. And the one you are thinking about is probably 'special interest arms' who's website indicates he has finished the last run. What I'd love to know is what folks paid in the US for the special interest 45/enfield kits. If it costs here $2k+ the rifle extra, you wonder how much cost savings a 'kit' offers. compared to getting a gunsmith to do a custom job from the ground up.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by GojiraSteve » 16 May 2019, 10:20 am

mickb wrote:Do you remember the price by any chance? My buddy was looking at getting one done by a local importer of the kits but it was something like $2000+ on top of the price of the donor rifle. A bit much for a plinking rifle.

No, to be honest I never saw the actual ad it was a screenshot of it that "bloke on the range" put up on his facebook page. I just had a look and the price was cut off the edge of the picture, but the usedguns.com.au logo was up in the corner so it definitely came from there.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 17 May 2019, 11:23 am

mickb wrote:Cheers waneroo. The two US groups doing 45acp conversions are rhineland though they do mausers only and also dont export. And the one you are thinking about is probably 'special interest arms' who's website indicates he has finished the last run. What I'd love to know is what folks paid in the US for the special interest 45/enfield kits. If it costs here $2k+ the rifle extra, you wonder how much cost savings a 'kit' offers. compared to getting a gunsmith to do a custom job from the ground up.

Here's the guy that built his own on a $200 SMLE:

http://forum.pafoa.org/showthread.php?t ... ht=enfield

There was another company called Valkyrie Arms that was making them but I think they might have closed up shop.

I think this is probably a project most folks will have to do themselves or make it custom.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stoney » 19 May 2019, 11:20 am

T-Bone Shipwrighting in Coogee makes / has made one I believe. He seems to have a lot of expertise with .303's and custom builds/ precision rifles.
https://www.facebook.com/tboneshipwrighting/
http://www.t-boneshipwrighting.com.au/
I hope that helps.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 19 May 2019, 5:47 pm

Thanks fellas. Stoney are there some reports of the tbone gent online or can I ask where you heard of him? Id be interested if price isnt too steep and he knows his stuff
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 19 May 2019, 5:55 pm

Might be an interesting project and way to make use if an old 303. Id like at least rimfire accuracy out of something like this aka happy with getting from 1-2 inches at 50 with the right ammo. I guess the concern is getting something that only shoots tommy gun accuracy aka dinner plates at 100m . Wish i knew more about accurising enfield potential....
Lapped barrel? could it be bedded and freefloated or would it be a case of pearls on swine type thing?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by ponkychonk » 19 May 2019, 5:57 pm

There's literally one for sale right now on the Claremont Firearms facebook page. They ship all over Australia. Check it out
ponkychonk
Private
Private

Other

Post by Stoney » 19 May 2019, 6:09 pm

G'day mickb , I found the bloke because he is very good with 303 re-builds also sniper rifle clones and such. If you have facebook just do a search of T-bone shipwrighting. This is one he built from an American kit. It's of course a replica of the suppressed gun the commandos used in WW2. Give him a call. I have not had work done buy him but, if you look through some of the rifles he has built. Wow.
Attachments
303-45.jpg
303-45.jpg (490.11 KiB) Viewed 4789 times
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mickb » 20 May 2019, 4:43 am

Thanks stoney he does do nice work.

Ponkychonk thanks for the link its getting some interest there. I notice they are still holding off on pricing. They might find the whole ' ultimate bush gun' angle difficult if this costs 2k+. I thinks it more niche market item. Will be interesting to see.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by marksman » 20 May 2019, 4:52 pm

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mickb » 21 May 2019, 5:25 am

Yes $3000.

I found a link on the internet showing the original company who made this kit selling various versions to americans for $350. extra $150 all parts fitted by the company.

I might wait to see if the price drops, to about half...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Centerfire rifles