My first 'militant cyclist' encouter

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: My first 'militant cyclist' encouter

Post by Bruiser64 » 06 May 2019, 10:39 pm

PaddyT wrote:I ride a pushie for exercise and have never understood the agro rider syndrome. id rather be wrong and alive than right and dead.

Spot on. I really enjoy riding the treadly. Just not in places where I have to rely on a whole bunch of random strangers doing the right thing to keep me safe.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 2:44 am

When did bike riders become such dicks is the question. I seem to remember riding bikes in the day you stuck to whatever space you could find on the side of the road, gave way to everything heavier than you, which was , in fact, everything, and it all worked pretty well. I remember me and another few hundred kids kids peddling their way back and forth to school, no bike lanes, just roads....and a train bridge(lol) if you wanted to take a shortcut. Don't remember many deaths, don't remember anyone particularly hating cyclists either....
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wombat » 28 May 2019, 4:05 pm

My first encounter with a militant rider was around 1986. Turning left on Victoria st into Rathdowne St, he was convinced that I'd given him insufficient room and hadn't indicated.
At the time I was driving a work van because I was injured from a motorcycle accident, he was trying to ride through a red light while I was turning at a green arrow. If I hadn't been in a sign-written Bicycle wholesalers van I wouldn't have stopped to chat with him.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cflake » 28 May 2019, 8:35 pm

Arguably the bike rider was in the wrong:
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety-and-road-rules/cyclist-safety/sharing-the-road

Q: Are bike riders allowed to pass other vehicles on the left?
A: Yes, except when those vehicles are indicating and turning left.

Although it gets a little more grey since she was in a cycle lane:
https://cyclinggeelong.com.au/2016/05/26/turning-left-who-has-right-of-way/

Throughout my career I've used all modes of transport including walking, cycling, motorcycling, on the train and in a car each for a number of years. There are d**kheads with every mode, with the biggest d**kheads strongly depending on where you are in the pecking order at the time.
cflake
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by xDom » 28 May 2019, 10:13 pm

The average rider getting to work, going for a leisurely ride are ok. It’s the Lycra decked out flogs with their $12k bikes and superiority complexes that get on my nerves.
It’s the double standards. On one hand aggressively displaying their right to ride two abreast yet ploughing through the next set of red lights.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel