Laser bore sights

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Laser bore sights

Post by snag » 02 Jun 2019, 5:36 pm

Just idly wondering if anyone uses those cheap laser bore sights that you see on Ebay for under $20. I'm thinking that if they come within a bulls roar of the target they might be handy for rough sighting lever actions, pumps, falling blocks and save a bit of ammo and frustration?
Thanks,
Snag
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Re: Laser bore sights

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 6:22 pm

Nup waste of money, all I do is take one shot, keep the POA and adjust the scope X-hairs over to the bullet hole, then take another shot to confirm it's shooting where I want it = simple and effective/efficient, 2 or 3 shots and you are ready to roll. :drinks:

This will explain how it's done.

sighting in a rifle scope with two shots
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiOpQY2ORo4
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jun 2019, 6:44 pm

I bought one - used it once, learnt how to bore sight and I’ve never used it again.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 7:02 pm

TassieTiger wrote:I bought one - used it once, learnt how to bore sight and I’ve never used it again.

Yep it's a trap for beginners alright. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 02 Jun 2019, 7:50 pm

I do not have one either. Careful adjustment of the scope means sighting in should not take long, or many shots.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Strangedog » 02 Jun 2019, 8:22 pm

I bore sighted my .243 this arv. Only had to adjust it about 3 clicks for windage and about two for elevation. Only used about 5 cartriges. Was super stoked, must of got lucky. ( I may be getting better at it) Then I did my lever. A laser bore sight might have been handy. Fired about five at 50m then another 5 at 100 and I was happy. Didn't think to use the POA trick. I would of liked to give it a go. This is a bit unrelated but I did find my Win 94 was stringing groups vertically, they got higher with the second and third shot. I'm guessing a heating barrel with a barrel band.
Strangedog
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 02 Jun 2019, 8:26 pm

snag wrote:Just idly wondering if anyone uses those cheap laser bore sights that you see on Ebay for under $20. I'm thinking that if they come within a bulls roar of the target they might be handy for rough sighting lever actions, pumps, falling blocks and save a bit of ammo and frustration?
Thanks,
Snag

IMO a magnetic boresighter is better but costs more than $20
https://magnumsports.com.au/17723.html

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=574_o76Nf94
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jun 2019, 9:27 pm

I am with Big Fella Scott.When I bought my 17HMR in a Ruger lever gun the shop put a gadget on the barrel and claimed it was sighted in cost me 3 foxes that night on the farm.Zeroed properly and did not have that problem again it was shooting way left
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2019, 9:39 pm

Last edited by Stix on 03 Jun 2019, 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jun 2019, 10:24 pm

Is there any logic to insulting people on the internet who you have never met.It was an experience I had. The topic is on bore sighting.I was new to shooting and thought I had missed through human error.The shop assistant assured me the rifle was sighted in using this thing he put on the barrel that had a target but there was nothing to stop it moving left or right spinning in the barrel.I trusted him what is so hard to believe in that.The other farm hand and I went for a walk that night with my new toy and I shot at 3 foxes that were not far away and missed them all.It was a long time ago.I have had people on this forum ask me why I keep adding you as Foe but what choice do I have.You post some good stuff but I dont get your attitude.Its a forum for firearm enthusiasts who made you judge jury and executioner
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 11:03 pm

duncan61 wrote:Is there any logic to insulting people on the internet who you have never met.It was an experience I had. The topic is on bore sighting.I was new to shooting and thought I had missed through human error.The shop assistant assured me the rifle was sighted in using this thing he put on the barrel that had a target but there was nothing to stop it moving left or right spinning in the barrel.I trusted him what is so hard to believe in that.The other farm hand and I went for a walk that night with my new toy and I shot at 3 foxes that were not far away and missed them all.It was a long time ago.I have had people on this forum ask me why I keep adding you as Foe but what choice do I have.You post some good stuff but I dont get your attitude.Its a forum for firearm enthusiasts who made you judge jury and executioner

I got what happened mate, you would think they would know what they are doing being in the industry and trusting them is the norm, sadly a lot of them are more clueless than some on here which is a really worry. :D :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by duncan61 » 02 Jun 2019, 11:30 pm

Fortunately I went to Coolilup range the next weekend and the old hands tuned me in with the shoot and adjust to impact you described.The height was good at 100 yards but was about foot and a half to the left from memory 14 clicks put it on and off a rest at 100 it grouped well.I went on to do a lot of happy hunting
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Stix » 02 Jun 2019, 11:32 pm

Well then if you were new to shooting then im being harsh...

So how old were you & what was the calibre & type of rifle...?

It does seem strange someone would begin their shooting, with their first ever shots on live animals without having shot a target, or even so much as a can or bottle with their new rifle...

Something about that just doesnt add up mate...!!

But if you claim thats the case, then thats the case i guess...!!
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jun 2019, 1:15 am

I will try to clarify because I wish to
.I used a SLR and Bren gun in the Army 83-86
.I worked out at Sandstone around 93 for a contractor who had 30/06 .222 and a heap of shotguns on goat trips I loved the Beratta 4 shot semi
.I obtained a property letter and bought a Greener Shotgun and went Greening Australia
.Over Time I had several Hornets assorted .22LR combination 410/22 magnum semi auto Winchester 12g
.I ended up on a dairy farm and could take out the foxes and the same store assistant showed me the new 17 HMR round and I had to have one.In W.A at the time Hornet was the largest chamber you could get on a low power licence to get anything bigger you needed a lot of land and a good reason 30/30 and pistol rounds were low power but not a good idea where I was
.I ordered the Ruger lever gun as I wished to do cowboy shooting at a range that does that and you have to have a levergun
.When I picked it up The assistant just took over and set this gadget up and claimed it was all good to go I get home just on dark the other guy has put a small car battery in a backpack and set it up so off we go.Walked down the lanes a fox pops up about 40 metres I can see it I shoot between the eyes it runs off this happens 3 times and I say F this and we give up.These things happen without better planning and skill. A week later I am hitting foxes at will.When it was my weekend to milk I would take this little ring stinger rifle and get foxes as I was rounding up the cows in the quad headlights.I never had one get up or move I mostly pinged them between the eyes as they were looking at me off the handlebars.Remember every day of the year the Quad bike rounds up the herd and foxes cant count so on my weekend they had no way of knowing the noisy little light emitting machine was going to brain them
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2019, 8:41 am

Stix wrote:Well then if you were new to shooting then im being harsh...

It does seem strange someone would begin their shooting, with their first ever shots on live animals without having shot a target, or even so much as a can or bottle with their new rifle...

Not strange at all mate my first shots as a kid were on fur (kangaroos) it was a 303 with open sights and I was around 6 yrs old at the time apparently ( I don’t recall much about the experience) but do remember seeing a fox carcass skinned in a rubbish pit.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2019, 12:49 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Stix wrote:Well then if you were new to shooting then im being harsh...

Not strange at all mate my first shots as a kid were on fur (kangaroos) it was a 303 with open sights and I was around 6 yrs old at the time apparently ( I don’t recall much about the experience) but do remember seeing a fox carcass skinned in a rubbish pit.

Bigfella...Being 6 years old & supervised is just...well...its just a little bit different to being a responsible gun owner whom claims to be new to shooting, yet appears now to have had military based infantry/military experience, out on his own with new rifle & claiming not have thought to shoot a target first &/or no one told you to check the how the rifle shoots mate...!!

You will not convince me that there is an excuse for shooting live animals with a rifle that has not been checked on paper first, & then blame someone else.

I saw some fuk wit (over here i think) do it with night vision stuff on youtube--injuring foxes & having them get away & admitting to not having checked the rifle... :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

These are the true "clueless clowns" bigfella...not the type of mentality or actions ill ever support, encourage or defend...but each to his own...! :D

Im waiting for the 'yea but things were different back then'...!!! excuse... :roll:

The fact you elude to ME being a "clueless clown" while you're in defense of a gun owner who went out to shoot animals not having sight checked his rifle is a little... :shock: ... mate...

You'll be happy to see Ive pulled down my attempt at a humerous, yet warranted schoolboy name-calling down because for some reason various people on here have a cry if they've been called 'a dik'...

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2019, 1:05 pm

duncan61 wrote:I will try to clarify because I wish to
.I used a SLR and Bren gun in the Army 83-86
.I worked out at Sandstone around 93 for a contractor who had 30/06 .222 and a heap of shotguns on goat trips I loved the Beratta 4 shot semi
.I obtained a property letter and bought a Greener Shotgun and went Greening Australia
.Over Time I had several Hornets assorted .22LR combination 410/22 magnum semi auto Winchester 12g
.I ended up on a dairy farm and could take out the foxes and the same store assistant showed me the new 17 HMR round and I had to have one.In W.A at the time Hornet was the largest chamber you could get on a low power licence to get anything bigger you needed a lot of land and a good reason 30/30 and pistol rounds were low power but not a good idea where I was
.I ordered the Ruger lever gun as I wished to do cowboy shooting at a range that does that and you have to have a levergun
.When I picked it up The assistant just took over and set this gadget up and claimed it was all good to go I get home just on dark the other guy has put a small car battery in a backpack and set it up so off we go.Walked down the lanes a fox pops up about 40 metres I can see it I shoot between the eyes it runs off this happens 3 times and I say F this and we give up.These things happen without better planning and skill. A week later I am hitting foxes at will.When it was my weekend to milk I would take this little ring stinger rifle and get foxes as I was rounding up the cows in the quad headlights.I never had one get up or move I mostly pinged them between the eyes as they were looking at me off the handlebars.Remember every day of the year the Quad bike rounds up the herd and foxes cant count so on my weekend they had no way of knowing the noisy little light emitting machine was going to brain them

So Duncan...it appears you did have firearms/shooting experience...the reasons you defend your actions with seem to keep changing... :unknown:

In any case, im not here to argue....but understand i have every moral right to express my utter disgust for shooters not taking the most basic steps to quickly & humanely dispatch animals they are hunting.

So, ill assume you've learned to, & actually do sight rifles in before killing animals...

... ... ...
Now...moving on...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by snag » 03 Jun 2019, 6:35 pm

Sorry, I didn't word my question very well. I'm not interested in using it for zeroing ( I use the POA technique for that), I'm making my own scope mounts and need to have them aligned reasonably close to perfect to even get on to paper. You only have to be a bee's dick out in your mounting holes and the shots fall outside of the scopes adjustment limitations. I'm far too set in my ways to slot holes or shim scopes and I hate spending money on things that don't work. Thanks.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jun 2019, 9:01 pm

snag wrote:Sorry, I didn't word my question very well. I'm not interested in using it for zeroing ( I use the POA technique for that), I'm making my own scope mounts and need to have them aligned reasonably close to perfect to even get on to paper. You only have to be a bee's dick out in your mounting holes and the shots fall outside of the scopes adjustment limitations. I'm far too set in my ways to slot holes or shim scopes and I hate spending money on things that don't work. Thanks.

Sorry just re read you post, you are making your own mounts - not sure how to help you with that one. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Scopes, sights and optics