Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Camping, fishing and outdoor recreational activities. Tips, equipment, accessories, hiking and outdoor cooking.

Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by winton » 01 Jun 2019, 3:12 pm

Hey guys. When I'm out on my own in winter time, I generally use a small Gaz powered stove to heat up my meals and boil water for instant noodles or the MRE variety. but I have been on this ultralight craze where I'm thinking about using an alcohol stove to save weight. Just wondering what the performance issues are in using an alcohol stove in the Alpines? I have heard that it takes longer to boil and sometimes will not get hot enough. Any truth to this?

Also, in the ultralight craze, people have been using wood burning stove that just rely on fuel you can gather, thus saving weight. Anyone have experience with these?

I'm only thinking about using something lighter during Sambar Season.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Alcohol/Wood Stove in the Alpines

Post by pomemax » 01 Jun 2019, 6:47 pm

look up rocket stove
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by CAVEMAN » 01 Jun 2019, 7:31 pm

If you haven't seen a jetboil, you need to look them up best thing since sliced bread for boiling and cooking meal pouches up.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jun 2019, 9:47 pm

These were popular once.

https://youtu.be/4407Zf10NdM

I belive some people make fuel blocks by soaking mdf in kero.

Or look up hobo stove
Last edited by Oldbloke on 01 Jun 2019, 10:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Jun 2019, 10:24 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Jun 2019, 10:53 pm

winton wrote:
Also, in the ultralight craze, people have been using wood burning stove that just rely on fuel you can gather, thus saving weight. Anyone have experience with these?

I'm only thinking about using something lighter during Sambar Season.

Solo stove Titan is pretty good it uses wood gasification which means it injects air to create a secondary flame resulting in hotter burn with less smoke.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=solo+stove+titan
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 01 Jun 2019, 11:07 pm

They also make a smaller version the solo stove lite which might be suitable for one person travelling light.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=solo+stove+lite
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 2:07 am

Can you not just build an ol school fire and not have to worry about all this crap to cart in?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Chappo » 02 Jun 2019, 7:32 am

I’d have to agree with big fella scott.
We are all aware of his wood obsession but technology ruins camping / hiking for me too.
There’s nothing as simplistic as a fire on the ground! I’ve also been known to leave the frying pan at home and find a flat rock to cook on.
I also love a bit of alcohol in the alpines but it ain’t for cookin with :thumbsup:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by winton » 02 Jun 2019, 3:00 pm

thanks for the input guys. Lots of ideas. Not sure about the hexamine one. Brings me back to the good ol' days though. Think weight is a bit of an issue with Hexamine, but I think it burns hotter than alcohol in really cold weather, so that could work.

Don't know if I want to muck about finding fuel in the sticks. Is it easier than I think? hmmm. Is it easier to get started than I think?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 3:22 pm

winton wrote:thanks for the input guys. Lots of ideas. Not sure about the hexamine one. Brings me back to the good ol' days though. Think weight is a bit of an issue with Hexamine, but I think it burns hotter than alcohol in really cold weather, so that could work.

Don't know if I want to muck about finding fuel in the sticks. Is it easier than I think? hmmm. Is it easier to get started than I think?

"Fuel in the Sticks" should give it away really. As for starting it, ever heard of firelighters, they work well at getting a fire going as does bark, leaves, small sticks etc - people way over think everything these days, god knows how the Abo's and first settlers ever survived without their fancy fuel fires hey. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2019, 5:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
"Fuel in the Sticks" should give it away really. As for starting it, ever heard of firelighters, they work well at getting a fire going as does bark, leaves, small sticks etc - people way over think everything these days, god knows how the Abo's and first settlers ever survived without their fancy fuel fires hey. :D

Agree 100% but small box or can to contain it in helps with wind and focusing the flame/heat, such as the hobo stove.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by sungazer » 02 Jun 2019, 5:37 pm

I think you will find it is the opposite the Shellite stoves burn hotter than the propane stoves as you get higher in the mountains. The LPG stoves loose pressure wheras the alcohol stoves you put a bit of paste around the top and set light to that and that warms up the alcohol and gives you pressure. Overall all boiling times increase the higher you go up and the colder it gets. Stay old school it is well proven,

I did have the exact same tablet type stove also back when I was in scouts quick to set up beat the shellite but only good for a cup of noodles type deal.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 6:16 pm

Just build a fire mate, it will cook your dinner, boil the water and keep ya warm on those cold days/nights. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by TassieTiger » 02 Jun 2019, 6:48 pm

If your target place is 6 hours walk - it’s nice to be able to take 5 for a quick coffee without building a fire - and then the guilt of making sure it’s fully out before moving on...could take an hour to mess about or 7 mins with one of those special sticks and leaves turbo boilers...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 6:58 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If your target place is 6 hours walk - it’s nice to be able to take 5 for a quick coffee without building a fire - and then the guilt of making sure it’s fully out before moving on...could take an hour to mess about or 7 mins with one of those special sticks and leaves turbo boilers...

Thermos - they come in all diff sizes and take up as much room as a small water bottle, instant tea or coffee :lol: carting all this other crap to make a cup of coffee or tea, f*** that, the thermos even comes with its own cup! :lol:

You kids all make s**t way over complicated I tell ya. :drinks: :sarcasm:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Jun 2019, 7:50 pm

+ 1 on the fire

I bought myself a new 1 litre Billy can from the SSAA magazine... best billy can I've ever had.

It's a ROYCE RIMFIRE Bush Kettle
Also available on fleebay.
images (5).jpeg
images (5).jpeg (14.76 KiB) Viewed 6747 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

I've seen one of those in action and they work very well, simple technology and it works, what's not to like other than the price some of em go for.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Jun 2019, 10:27 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 03 Jun 2019, 1:37 am

Nutnfancy on various light weight stoves for camping in the mountains:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXpAhe-GAk
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Stix » 03 Jun 2019, 5:34 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:If you haven't seen a jetboil, you need to look them up best thing since sliced bread for boiling and cooking meal pouches up.

TassieTiger wrote:If your target place is 6 hours walk - it’s nice to be able to take 5 for a quick coffee without building a fire - and then the guilt of making sure it’s fully out before moving on...could take an hour to mess about or 7 mins with one of those special sticks and leaves turbo boilers...

Yep & yep...!!
I absolutely love a fire, as ive no doubt most of us here do, but there are times where a fire is just impractical, especially when time is at a premium...

I remember being up early with the old fella & heading off to check his traps--figured ill tag along for any cats/foxes in the traps & to have a squirt at any running bunnies with the shotty....

Being the old timer enthusiast he is, he insisted i didnt have the time to light a fire & boil the billy for a cuppa before we left...
His eyes popped open when he saw me downing my last mouthful of coffee & rinsing out the cup with the remaining hot water from the jetboil...all before he finished his morning movement & got his backside in the car...

And as for using firelighters for a quick fire to cook on, bought or home made--i got over petroleum/kero flavoured lamb chops the first & only time i ever tried them, well in excess of 25 yrs ago...!!

My jetboil & little box with coffee, tea, sugar & cuppasoup satchels & spare freezer bags is always in the back of my car if there's a chance it'll be needed.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 03 Jun 2019, 7:54 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I've seen one of those in action and they work very well, simple technology and it works, what's not to like other than the price some of em go for.

Definitely pricey for a billy can, but I figgured that it'll outlast me being stainless steel.

It boils water real fast. I can pull up, stuff it full of dry spinefex or a tumble weed, light it, feed it a few twigs down the from the top and have a hot cuppa in a jiffy .
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jun 2019, 8:28 pm

Another angle for thought.
Ferment some water, nutrients, sugar and yeast in a 20L drum for about 4 weeks watch the S gravity fall to below 1 - keep at approx 24%.
Take THAT liquid with you into the bush and light a big fire.
Place a steel drum over fire with a large copper dome to catch vapor.
Pour in liquid to drum and slowly bring to 79 degrees and catch steam in dome.
Pump cold water over dome to turn steam back into liquid.
After approx 4 hours, take that 1 litre of liquid and use it in alcohol burner to boil your water for a cuppa.
Solved.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 04 Jun 2019, 11:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:Another angle for thought.
Ferment some water, nutrients, sugar and yeast in a 20L drum for about 4 weeks watch the S gravity fall to below 1 - keep at approx 24%.
Take THAT liquid with you into the bush and light a big fire.
Place a steel drum over fire with a large copper dome to catch vapor.
Pour in liquid to drum and slowly bring to 79 degrees and catch steam in dome.
Pump cold water over dome to turn steam back into liquid.
After approx 4 hours, take that 1 litre of liquid and use it in alcohol burner to boil your water for a cuppa.
Solved.

Hmmmm .... I to am a big fan of the tomato paste wash.

Dam fine neutral, you won't need a fire for warmth after drinking that "liquid"
images (6).jpeg
Just makin me some stove liquid
images (6).jpeg (48.99 KiB) Viewed 6735 times
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jun 2019, 1:22 pm

Good ole TPW, run through a tuned boka = best I saw was 94.5% abv. Couldn’t ever quite get azetrope with my set up, but the liquid was the most crystal clear anything I’ve ever seen.
Mr popcorn Sutton if I recall - isn’t that a bloody story lol
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2019, 1:44 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Good ole TPW, run through a tuned boka = best I saw was 94.5% abv. Couldn’t ever quite get azetrope with my set up, but the liquid was the most crystal clear anything I’ve ever seen.
Mr popcorn Sutton if I recall - isn’t that a bloody story lol

Moonshine Royalty - too bad he topped himself hey :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jun 2019, 2:29 pm

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bruiser64 » 18 Jun 2019, 12:33 am

You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by winton » 04 Jul 2019, 9:50 pm

Bruiser64 wrote:You can use an alcohol stove in an alpine environment. I have a Trangia which I have owned for nearly 30 years. The trick with them is to warm the filled burner up by having it close to your body. Trangia burners have a lid that you screw on to close, so there’s no risk of spillage. Otherwise you would look to use a liquid fuel stove like an MSR Whisperlite. I also own one of them. They work well, but are a bit more fiddling about to use than the Trangia. As I live in WA, there is zero ability to camp in an Alpine environment here, which is why I mainly use the Trangia these days.

A trangia brings we back to the good ol days. They are a little big for my own solo use nowadays.

Is the trick you are talking about is to ensure proper priming of the stove?

I use a converted beer can stove now. Was wondering how it would hold up in the Alpine enviro. Hasn't been tested.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by albat » 05 Jul 2019, 2:12 pm

I reckon for the little bit of weight you save it's not worth stuffing around. Go the gas, I use a kovea moonwalker stove in the Victorian high country it allows you to invert the gas canister which makes the burner way hotter in sub zero conditions , also use 4 season gas and keep the gas cannister in your sleeping bag to keep it warm
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Camping, fishing and outdoor recreation