9.3 x 62

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

9.3 x 62

Post by madang55 » 16 May 2019, 10:55 am

Don't rush me. What works for you in 9.3x62. Powder/Projectiles and have you ever bothered to resize 30-06?
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 9.3 x 62

Post by SCJ429 » 17 May 2019, 8:35 pm

Not much support here for the 9.3, I do not own or reload for it. My knowledge extends to not using 30/06 brass lest you run into head separation issues.

Speer and Nosler make a bullet that is useful for a 9.3 and used at reasonable distances can be quite effective.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by madang55 » 17 May 2019, 8:58 pm

Cheers. Have necked up a few 06. Will see if they chamber ok first then make up a mild load in few and see what the cases do. Anything suspect will be dealt with appropriately. Projectiles are expensive so will have to make up my mind early.. All will be revealed
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 28 May 2019, 3:11 am

When I was into big game guns it was woodliegh bullets for everything. Geoff Mcdonald the inventor was bonding his bullets but still keeping the lead cores soft. They would still expand suitably at longer ranges even the round noses and protected points, and on smaller game.I think this was his influence as an Australian, unlike most of the rest of the worlds bullet designers he was killing the numbers personally to see what works. And also realised the market for big guns was not just folks visiting africa, a lot of the guns were going to see use on pigs etc. He got a great balance between penetration and expansion, at least in the calibres I used. I found a lot of the yank stuff too hard in the big calibres. Hornady bullets were great for splitting pigs apart 20+ years ago too, then they started making them tougher.The softest big game bullets if you want to open animals right up were probably hawke projectiles in the USA. They used light jackets , the bullets would expand all the way back to the bullet base. Probably a little soft if you are hitting big animals. Certainly you need tough bullets for the biggest game but I found the yanks took it a bit far. If they can't get a bullet to shoot through the animal, ten phone books and a telephone pole, they class it as a failure.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by gunnnie » 28 May 2019, 5:15 am

Have only recently begun reloading for mine as I picked up several boxes of PPU factory when I bought the rifle.
I managed to source 200-odd ACP 190gn projectiles as I was after a lighter projectile than the usual 286gn standard. There is an excellant write up on the 9.3 and various projectiles and performance on Aussie game, over on the AHN forum. Highly recommend you check it out.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bazooker » 28 May 2019, 8:50 am

Some comments on using '06 brass here, not really optimal due to dimensional differences at the case web.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthr ... from-30-06

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 28 May 2019, 9:44 am

Thanks guys, so far some of the best info I've ever had. I picked up a box of Woodleigh 250gr RN. If they work I will stick with them. Competitive price and the best lineage out there. Using 30-06 brass......I think I will just use the cases to set up dies, seating, trimming, crimping lengths etc. That way if I damage a few...too bad. They are, as some of you have said, NQR and I don't want one those grenades happening to me. I'm picking up a new Haenel and mounting an Aimpoint H2. My eyesight ain't what it used to be and the Aimpoint works for me. Very much looking forward to visiting the farm in the near future. A friend is heading far north soon and will be very interested to get the feedback on his 9.3. Cheers
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by gunnnie » 28 May 2019, 1:56 pm

Sounds like you've got a nice rig coming with that Haenel. Mine is only a Zastava LKM70 stainless synthetic. Bit of a brute off the rest shooting the PPU factory ammo. Doesn't help that the rifle is light & the recoil pad is made from good Soviet tractor tyre :?
So I've got an aftermarket stock that will take a lot of the recoil. Plus, loading with 190gn pills over mild loads, it should be a lot easier on the shoulder.
See if you can buy a few packs of PPU factory ammo. Be a cheap way to start running in your rifle, sight adjustment & getting brass for your reloads.
If you don't have any joy getting any ammo/brass easy enough, let me know. I might be able to spare some new PPU brass. :thumbsup:
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 28 May 2019, 3:04 pm

Thanks for that. The Haenel is light as well and very comfortable to point. I think I'm good for brass and even got some hand loads coming. Depending on what they are I can use them or pull the proj and re do what I want, so covered for now.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 08 Jun 2019, 5:25 pm

So, Hanna the Haenel. Couldn't get unprimed cases so I purchased 1 box of Geco, a box of PPU and a box of Winchester. I pulled 10 of the Win and hand loaded a set of 250gn Woodleigh. I took those 10 plus the remaining 10 Win and 10 each of the PPU and Geco to the range. 40 rounds. 3 of the 20 Win (15%), 4 of the Geco, (40%) and 3, (30%) of the PPU failed to fire. tried twice on all of them, tried everything really, but REALLY!!!!!. Sat down had a look at them all, and all I could come up with was head space....Got home and pulled all the failures, emptied the powder into a bin of water and tried to get them to work again....nothing.....then I noticed that the primer seating depth was all over the place. I de-primed and replaced the failed cases with new primers, , and 100% success. So, quality control is now my main suspect along with poopy primers. I pulled all the remaining factory loads, de primed and will start from scratch. Note, when I loaded the Woodleighs, I only replaced the proj and powder, not the primers. I am also going to go with milder loads, my shoulder hurts.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 08 Jun 2019, 7:32 pm

I like the fact Woodleigh make a fair amount of projectiles in 9.3
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by tophet1 » 09 Jun 2019, 3:00 pm

I had a custom 9.3x62 built some time ago on an FN Mauser 98 action. Took it to Africa and outback on camels. Euro projectiles worked best and I found the RWS 254 (?) H-Mantel superb on all game. Apart from that anything other than a 286 was a waste of time in my rifle. I found just about any conventional RNSP gave more dependable expansion that spitzer designs. It has killed tens of thousands of plains game early last century when the German African colonies were clearing game for grazing/farming land. Accurate cartridge but use 9.3x62 brass.
tophet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 09 Jun 2019, 9:53 pm

286gr....I have the Woodleigh 250gr, and would like to go lighter. Reason being Sambar don't need 250gr. Woodleigh make a 232 gr, but if there was a 220 I would go there. Muzzle velocity with the lighter projectile would, I am sure, make up for bullet wt. and go flatter especially with the 9.3. Waiting on a trip report from a friend who heads out of Darwin tomorrow for a hunt. He's using a 9.3 with Barnes factory, cant wait for the photos. Ref my primer problem, I've started looking for a set of head space gauges, just to be sure. There is an instrument out there somewhere that measures primer depth as well. (I like my toys) I've re-sized and re-primed 60 cases, fired several with 100% success, so definitely REALLY!!!, 3 different manufacturers with that many hang fires.??
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by madang55 » 11 Jun 2019, 6:04 pm

Had a talk with someone today. Two things, yes the primers are all over the place, but the 9.3 is notorious for variations in the case measurements, especially, in particular, the shoulder. So, if the shoulder is formed too short and doesn't fit in the chamber right to the end, the case moves fwd when the firing pin impacts. Fired cases are formed, so all I need to do is neck size and I should be good.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Reloading ammunition