Who would be interested in a 9mm Luger bolt action?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Who would be interested in a 9mm Luger bolt action?

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2019, 9:06 pm

Not trying to get numbers to petition a major company :) , more just a general conversation. Who else would find the idea of a small accurate 9mm bolt rifle Interesting or fun? I think it would be great for kids, can fulfill roles like a plinker, 22LR, and also stoked out of a 20" barrel you would get light projectiles to 1700fps, like an oversized 22WMR. Noise would probably be similar as the two cases hold about the same capacity.
There are some oddball single shots and combo rifles out there using the 9mm, but no bolts.

Obviously to custom make one is serious dollars. But if someone took something like the howa 1500 mini in 223 with similar bolt face to 9mm it would be a starter right there.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Re: Who would be interested in a 9mm Luger bolt action?

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Jun 2019, 9:13 pm

Could you just use an existing rifle or pistol case and use Trailboss to do something similar. Like a 50 S&W?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2019, 9:28 pm

Yep you can do fairly similar yes by loading by reduced loads in 357, 44 rem and 45 colt. The idea with 9mm( and not trying to sell the idea, this is just bored wednesday musings) is 9mm has much less powder capacity, you could load 3500 plinking rounds off a pound of powder, better loading density, and the better accuracy potential bolt actions have over lever actions.
Actual practical benefits of all this, probably none :D
Last edited by mickb on 12 Jun 2019, 9:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Wombat » 12 Jun 2019, 9:35 pm

So something like this? http://www.gundepot.com.au/Listing/Details/887076 I know that's 9 X 23 not 9 X 19.
Wombat
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2019, 9:38 pm

Exactly wombat, bloody nice one! I have not seen a destroyer advertised for years. They were used by their police in the day I believe.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 12 Jun 2019, 9:58 pm

The spanish destroyer carbine , 9mm largo

mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wrenchman » 13 Jun 2019, 4:42 am

my late brother had a 1911 in 9mm largo it was fine shooting gun
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigpete » 13 Jun 2019, 9:44 am

You know what,I reckon I'd have one
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 13 Jun 2019, 4:25 pm

The bergara takedown 9mm rifle almost tempted me but I prefer repeaters with longer barrels.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by marksman » 13 Jun 2019, 5:35 pm

I've seen one in enfield like this one
https://flicense.blogspot.com/2014/02/a ... x19mm.html

“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mickb » 13 Jun 2019, 6:12 pm

Nice I heard there were custom ones being done, also I think Armalon in the UK used to do them off enfields, but a $4K price tag.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by No1Mk3 » 13 Jun 2019, 6:53 pm

G'day mickb,
Several Destroyer carbines were converted to fire 9x19 here when 9x23 was impossible to find, if you happen upon one remember they can only use 9mm Luger Standard ammo, not +P. If you find a Destroyer in 9x23 Largo do not EVER try loading 9x23 Winchester as the Winnie round is nearly 2x the pressure of the Largo. I have one of these carbines and they are great fun, as well as a really nice short (100m+) range fox and hare rifle, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by mickb » 13 Jun 2019, 7:45 pm

Thanks for the reply No1mk3, good to know!
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wrenchman » 14 Jun 2019, 1:37 am

novam 9mm bolt
Attachments
DSC01600.jpg
DSC01600.jpg (141.81 KiB) Viewed 9159 times
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by brett1868 » 14 Jun 2019, 9:47 am

My preference would be to have one of the current 9mm Semi Auto Carbines on the market converted to lever release along the same lines as the Savage A22. Not too tactikool looking so it's not prohibited based on appearance and should use standard Glock 9mm magazines.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2019, 12:40 pm

That would be interesting
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 14 Jun 2019, 3:30 pm

wrenchman wrote:novam 9mm bolt

Wrenchman, is that one yours, I'll make you an offer and import it. Kidding, but what a nice little gun.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wrenchman » 15 Jun 2019, 9:57 am

no its not i just looked up the company and they stoped makeing them in feb.
i have seen them around i just did not think much of them till i seen this post
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by in2anity » 15 Jun 2019, 12:16 pm

wrenchman wrote:novam 9mm bolt

I’d also buy one of those in a heartbeat if they were available in oz - reloading pistol sure is convenient. Wrenchman just curious is the forend fully bedded?
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2019, 4:52 pm

Aha its a special interest arms. https://www.specialinterestarms.com/

Interestingly, the aussie gunsmith T-bone shipwrights imported all the last stocks of special interests 45acp conversion kits for enfields. Wonder if he got the 9mm novam kits as well
Last edited by mickb on 15 Jun 2019, 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 15 Jun 2019, 5:08 pm

https://www.specialinterestarms.com/ind ... page=novem

Just adding it appears the kit was for modifying Armscor TCM actions, not sure if they would be available here anyway.

The gunsmith says "There had not been a new 9mm bolt action carbine available since the Destroyer Carbine in 9mm Largo was discontinued" .
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by CAVEMAN » 16 Jun 2019, 11:35 am

I feel like Ruger could be a prime candidate to develop a more commercial option. Using there american series as a base, and there experience with the 77/357, 77/44, 10/44 and the new PC Carbines. I think a Ruger american rifle base, using there pistol magazines like there PC carbine (they suit they're proprietary mags, or have a Glock mag well as well) would be a nice little fun and practical rifle.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 12:11 pm

Due to myself shooting at very close proximity to my finder dog and not wanting to hurt his ears I have recently done months of intense research into responsible projectile choices and subsonic shooting for pigs ....best I could find was 220 grain noslers for my 300 blk ( rare as hens teeth ) I just returned from a week on the black soil and my dog loves me so much for this ammo choice as previously I was useing full strength 243 loads and trying my best to keep him behind me when I shoot ..... it seemed to work on the bigger boars as they had the body mass to pull the bullet up but on the smaller stuff it was slow to work. I won’t be hunting with that load again. I’m getting myself a 450 bushmaster to shoot subsonic. Hornady sell 300 grain xtp hollow points that they claim will expand at a wide range of handgun velocities....I’m much more confident of a larger diameter pill with a big hollow point to aid expansion at low velocity. This will give me a better performing projectile and more energy that can be effevtly delivered to the target instead of 30 call 220,s that just blow through.....
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 12:28 pm

blr243 thanks for that post, good to know and confirmed what I suspected.

Regards expected expansion also check youtube before you buy. I found it pretty useful- a lot of guys are shooting these into ballistic gelatin. While its not perfect you will at least be able to identify any complete fails at the speeds you are looking at.

The guys doing these tests are now also putting several layers of denim in front of the gel blocks. This is an FBI requirement to simulate heavy clothing which can plug up hollowpoints and prevent them expanding. In pistol calibres the latest generations of bullets are designed to still expand nicely having passed through these layers(gold dot,, HST, Ranger, golden sabre etc). This might also parallel them still working after hitting a bit of mud and hair on a boars body on the way in.

I considered the 450 Bushmaster but has a bit of case capacity at this level. 61 grains water to case mouth. Any thought to a a 44 rem in lever or ruger bolt? I dont use one myself but did a bit of research on it as well. They will have bullets also designed to open up lower than the XTP if you need, pistol level options designed for the slower 44 special. Also these cases burn 1/3 less powder, which reduces noise a bit. Just my own musings here, you probably covered all this in your research.
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jun 2019, 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 16 Jun 2019, 12:30 pm

Stupid me just posted here when it was sposed to be in the lever gun subsonic topic. Perhaps my brain is still away on holidays in cent Qld.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 2:13 pm

All good mate, the topics blend anyway, I started both threads around the same idea. subsonic hunting
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jun 2019, 7:11 pm

Mickb. If all the projectiles are doing 1080 FPS. My 220 noslers in the blackout gives me 570 pounds of energy. 240 trainers in the 44 gives me 622 pounds. I went to the bushmaster because I can use 300 grain projectiles which gives me 777 pounds of energy So between now and when I collect my new bushmaster I will research the most reliable best performing 300 grain jacketed projectiles I can find
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 8:30 pm

Nice. My mistake too btw mate, the 450BM is a .452 not a 458 like I was thinking, so worse case you can make use of all the 230-250 grain 45ACP and 45 colt hollowpoints which will expand between 750-1000fps. Some of the 300 grain bullets will be geared to the 454 casull and 460 which are a lot tougher keep in mind. I believe the 300 grain XTP comes in both a 45 colt +P strength jacket and the 454 casull velocity jacket. Might be a place to start . The 44 mag can also use 300 grain bullets btw but again a lot will be geared to higher speeds.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2019, 6:29 pm

Thanks for that info. ESP Re jackets. It’s exactly the research I’m right into at the moment. I’m looking at the gold dots too I only did my pta yesterday so hopefully I have time to get it all sorted . I’m going back to the same property the last week of July. I will hopefully have some earmuffs for my dog ( yes u can get them I think they call them mutt muffs ) ,my new bushmaster rifle ,and some carefully prepared ammunition . Then I will be as ready as ever for the task ..... my new thermal binos worked a treat on the last trip ......only 5 per cent of the time did I find pigs with my own eyes ..... I mainly hunt for an hour of light in the arvo and then into the night. Then after sleep I hunt pre dawn for about 2. 1/2 hours and then for about an hour after sunup. the most difficult part for me is dragging myself out of my swag and onto my quad bike at 330 am in the middle of winter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jun 2019, 7:01 pm

Thanks for that info. ESP Re jackets. It’s exactly the research I’m right into at the moment. I’m looking at the gold dots too I only did my pta yesterday so hopefully I have time to get it all sorted . I’m going back to the same property the last week of July. I will hopefully have some earmuffs for my dog ( yes u can get them I think they call them mutt muffs ) ,my new bushmaster rifle ,and some carefully prepared ammunition . Then I will be as ready as ever for the task ..... my new thermal binos worked a treat on the last trip ......only 5 per cent of the time did I find pigs with my own eyes ..... I mainly hunt for an hour of light in the arvo and then into the night. Then after sleep I hunt pre dawn for about 2. 1/2 hours and then for about an hour after sunup. the most difficult part for me is dragging myself out of my swag and onto my quad bike at 330 am in the middle of winter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles