Fiocchi 40 grain vmax 204 ammo safe?

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

Fiocchi 40 grain vmax 204 ammo safe?

Post by mccraggen » 13 Jun 2019, 12:46 pm

hey guys,

I'm a very new 204 owner (T/C venture 22 inch sporter 1-10" twist)

I have found that this rifle is very accurate with Fiocchi 40 grain ammo, but there is a little problem, sometimes the brass has slightly raised primers.
My only concern is the ammo is too hot and or dangerous.

Anyone else had a similar experience or chronied the ammo?

Thanks!
mccraggen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Fiocchi 40 grain vmax 204 ammo safe?

Post by flutch » 13 Jun 2019, 2:01 pm

Unless you're getting serious wear marks and or splits in your cases, I wouldn't panic, factory ammo is designed to be well within safe limits and given you only have a 22" barrel and the pill itself is pretty light I wouldn't be panicking too much about it... Don't see how pressures would be high enough to be a serious issue, most factory ammo in my rifles flattens out the primer as they're usually on the hotter side of powder charge, depending on your bolt face chamber pressure will affect the primer differently, either way should all be fine
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 3:45 pm

I'm with Flutch, doesn't sound like anything to worry about to me, piercing the primers well that's more of a concern.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mccraggen » 13 Jun 2019, 4:40 pm

mccraggen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 4:57 pm

Looks ok to me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2019, 6:54 pm

Hi mccraggen...sorry im no expert...as said above, it shouldnt be a problem...but it does look strange, & to my mind, while flattened primers are pretty normal with factory ammo, non-flattened primers that are popping out i wouldnt assume is normal.... :?:

I notice the pics are of different brass...so i assume they are both factory loads of Hdy & Federal...yes...?

But I thought Hornady factory ammo came with Gold coloured primers, which makes me ask if they are reloads in the Hdy brass...?...also the radius looks different on the primers edge in the second pic.... :unknown:

Only in the one batch, or happening in every batch...?

As i said, Im no expert but i think youre doing the right thing in asking... :thumbsup:

Hopefully more experienced people will chime in to give you more piece of mind....i dont mean to cast doubt on others, always better to be safe than sorry.

Id ask the shop where you bought it from if you can...ultimately they are responsible, so if they are aware of the problem & its documented, then you are covered incase the rifle is in some way faulty.

Sorry i cant be of any help.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Jun 2019, 7:20 pm

I agree with Stix, the primer has crept slightly into the firing pin hole but that is not concerning. I have not seen the primers popping out of the pocket like that which is a concern. I would ask a gunsmith to run a no go gauge up the action. Or take it back to a gunshop if that is where you bought it.
Last edited by SCJ429 on 13 Jun 2019, 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2019, 7:37 pm

Hey...worth checking the boltface...?...check the serial number on bolt matches the barrel/action...?...you wouldnt want to be shooting a 204 with the wrong bolt say from a 223...
That happened recently here with someone... :crazy:

Seems weirder the more i think about it...

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 13 Jun 2019, 10:11 pm

The pictures are a worry, especially the 2nd one. No way a primer should protrude that much, I'd be asking a qualified gunsmith to check the headspace.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Jun 2019, 10:20 pm

Im with Brett1868 on this one the second pick to me at least is a little concerning
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jun 2019, 11:18 pm

Try a diff brand of ammo and see if it does the same.

How was the bolt lift after firing them.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Cooper » 14 Jun 2019, 12:31 pm

Looks like it is doing a similar thing with both rounds to me. Hornady and the Fiocchi brass. The 204 is a fairly higher pressure round.

The only time I've seen something similar is with brass I've used in my 223 with more than a dozen reloads and the primer pocket starts to get a little lose. The primer tends to back out a little in a similar fashion to what you've shown. Dunno

With factory loaded ammo and two different types of ammo doing similar things. Kinda pointing towards something with the rifle?
Cooper
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by mccraggen » 14 Jun 2019, 1:46 pm

no firm bolt lift or any other signs, all other ammo primers are normal.
mccraggen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

mccraggen wrote:no firm bolt lift or any other signs, all other ammo primers are normal.

When you say all other ammo primers are normal are you saying that diff brands that have been fired in this particular rifle have been fine?

Are all the Fiocchi rounds you fired in this rifle doing exactly the same thing or is it just a couple here and there?
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by mccraggen » 14 Jun 2019, 2:44 pm

all other brands in this rifle have presented normally its just the fiocchi doing it, and some it doesnt happen
mccraggen
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 14 Jun 2019, 8:16 pm

mccraggen wrote:all other brands in this rifle have presented normally its just the fiocchi doing it, and some it doesnt happen

Thanks for that mate, say out of a 20pk how many are roughly doing it?

Have you tried some Rem Accutips in 32gn? they kill well and shoot very well in the Howa so might be worth a try as are the 39 sierra blitzking offerings. :thumbsup:

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by grumpy308 » 14 Jun 2019, 9:51 pm

Hi mccraggen. The photos show definite indications of a headspace issue with that particular brand of ammunition. There is no other reason for protrusion of the primer after firing. Fortunately the case has not stretched after the firing pin has driven it forward and created a weak spot/ separation in front of the head. It would probably be a good idea to get the rifles headspace checked but if it is only happening with the Fiocchi ammo then it is more than likely their case dimensions that are the problem.Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by grumpy308 » 15 Jun 2019, 8:56 pm

Hi mccraggen. Just looking at the centre case in the second photo the bright ring just forward of the case head is a sign of head separation occurring. You can check for it by inserting a piece of wire with a little right angled hook (sharpened to a vee) on the end and running it length-ways down the inside of the case. If it has stretched and starting to separate the thin spot can easily be felt just forward of the solid head. If this is in fact happening with that case as well as primer protrusion on the first firing then there is a considerable headspace issue with that ammo. Certainly check all such cases with those bright rings in that position as they would not be safe to reload. I would get the headspace checked and in the meantime avoid using that Fiocchi ammo as indications show a head separation could occur on a first firing. Regards Malcolm.
grumpy308
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 15 Jun 2019, 9:24 pm

Im with Brett and the others that mention headspace. What normally happens is that the shoulder moves forward lengthening the case. What you have can be caused by a light loading, one with the projectile jammed. ect. I would move away from that brass simplest solution. If you continue to chase down the culprit you will be much wiser but you are not going to get the factory to change.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics