Choice of gun and ammo

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Re: Choice of gun and ammo

Post by sungazer » 16 Jun 2019, 9:05 pm

Seems I would go against the grain from most here. That seems to be a current norm. I would choose the 223 firstly because reloading components are so cheap. You can buy projectiles in the 500-1000 for $170 they dont take a lot of powder in the case and the case is small. So one of these or more can be setup with several thousand rounds. Also being military there is always the chance of coming across a box of ammo or a box of loaded magazines. I would also have a 308 this is the distance sniper rifle easy to hit a torso at 500 and if the wind is kind 1000 yrds hit also quite within the realm. The third well that is either the 22LR or the 12G some good points for both have been brought up for each I would have them both in the bag of tricks but if I had to choose one it would take more information.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 9:08 pm

Wombat wrote:I'll bow out of this thread, as I obviously confused "Make no mistake gentlemen the question relates to tin foil level .Communist invasion, aliens controlling government, zombies. Whats your choice of guns and ammo, pick three. Restrict it to Aus legal options-" to be referring to Australian legal firearm choices for dealing with these situations.Which would presumably involve targeting humans.

No way any anti could make the same error about a forum discussing such subjects, and use it to further their agenda of further restricting available firearms.

Well ill do my usual & upset people...

I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...

Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:

I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

Why cant we shoot them with full auto 200 gauge shotguns launching 367 rounds per minute with alternating solid/00/grenade rounds from a vehicle that is a hybrid of a military 'Hum-Vee'/Mad Max machine/Hover Craft/TIE Interceptor (AKA Badie star wars space fighter)... :unknown:

No point bullying Wombat...he's done nothing wrong here guys... :D :drinks:

Anyway...what happened to being sucked by a Fattie Pretty Vegan Zombie...??? :unknown:
Oh thats right...we cant suggest Zombies are fat, Vegan, Pretty (or ugly) or like sucking humans...that would offend the people who are "Sexually Orientated" toward being Fat Pretty Vegan Human Sucking Zombies... :wtf:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 9:16 pm

Can someone PLEASE email hornady and tell them there Zmax projectiles are downright fuken offensive !
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 9:20 pm

Main by my side would be 22-250.. short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice...? :unknown: (& i have plenty of brass...!! :thumbsup: )

Then there are the generic must have's for proven ability, reliability & convenience...

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire...308.../...30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...300wm... :unknown:
(308 for me cos im a recoil woos)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 16 Jun 2019, 9:41 pm

Stix wrote:Main by my side would be 3006 short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice?

Then there are the generic must have's for proven ability, reliability & convenience...

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire..30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...:unknown:
(3006 for me cos im a recoil woos)

Fixed it for you - your welcome :-)
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 16 Jun 2019, 9:45 pm

Stix wrote:Well ill do my usual & upset people...I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All good styx, I dont think anyone is bullying though. I think the responses are pretty tongue in cheek. He said he wanted to leave before anyone replied anyway.So...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

main reason I put 'legal guns' is because I wanted to hear about guns we are currently using. I have a general interest in conversations about bolt actions and pump actions and I do find survival, long term stockpiling, foraging, living off the land, interesting subjects. In our own national history we have had severe shortages of different ammo for example several times. Not so interested in hearing about auto weapons, RPG's, 16" ship cannons and ballistic missiles, because that is what the thread would have turned into :mrgreen: :thumbsup:
Last edited by mickb on 16 Jun 2019, 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bigrich » 16 Jun 2019, 10:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Can someone PLEASE email hornady and tell them there Zmax projectiles are downright fuken offensive !

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 10:46 pm

mickb wrote:
Stix wrote:Well ill do my usual & upset people...I too got a wiff of what Wombat did from reading the initial post...and i rekon bullying him out of the thread is a bit harsh...

All good styx, I dont think anyone is bullying though. I think the responses are pretty tongue in cheek. He said he wanted to leave before anyone replied anyway.So...

All he has done is (apparently) misinterpret whats been written...Maybe if it had been written starting with Zombies, instead of Communist invasion (especially given recent world tensions with Nth Korea, China & Iran), & been open to any silly extreme calibre choice, (instead of only what we could legally pull out of our safe to shoot ANY invaders),some people would not take it as it as having an element of seriousness to it. :unknown:I mean, why do we have to be restricted to only shooting Communists, Country Invaders & Zombies with legal guns... :unknown:

main reason I put 'legal guns' is because I wanted to hear about guns we are currently using. I have a general interest in conversations about bolt actions and pump actions and I do find survival, long term stockpiling, foraging, living off the land, interesting subjects. In our own national history we have had severe shortages of different ammo for example several times. Not so interested in hearing about auto weapons, RPG's, 16" ship cannons and ballistic missiles, because that is what the thread would have turned into :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

No worries mickb... :thumbsup:

Im sorry my 200Gauge tracer round & grenade launching 367 rnd/second shotty is a thread de-railer... :oops: consider it retracted... :clap:
:drinks:

Now... ... now ive gotta figure what im gonna do about this 30-06 loving self proclaimed "fixer"...
Hhmmm...
2019-06-16 22.13.03.jpg
What to do...?....what to do...?
2019-06-16 22.13.03.jpg (78.17 KiB) Viewed 4028 times
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 16 Jun 2019, 11:27 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
Stix wrote:Main by my side would be 3006 short range...long range...explosive..lack of ricochet's to give away position....is there really any other choice?

.22 lr...

12G

Then choice of bigger centrefire..30-06...(s**t did i just say that :o )...:unknown:
(3006 for me cos im a recoil woos)

Fixed it for you - your welcome :-)

:lol: :lol: Thats actually pretty funny... :clap:

And i got nothin...nothin i tell ya... :lol:

Well...except for...
"22-250 rules man...baahleez...no returns...!!!"...
:P
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 16 Jun 2019, 11:34 pm

I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

1. M-60 machine gun with the E6 upgrade package
2. Suppressed 300 Blackout AR-15
3. Suppressed MP5 SD
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by flutch » 17 Jun 2019, 1:20 am

Gotta admit I'm laughing pretty hard at the "22-250 No Ricochets to give away position" yeah as if you're concealed after a gunshot, LOL... just lol
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 1:58 am

wanneroo wrote:I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

3. Suppressed MP5 SD

Just showing off Waneroo :D But not the most ideal choice for me if I was in the US though.One downside to the US gun freedoms is the old 1934 gun control act- you will need federal stamps to own fancy stuff like that. When the BATF (I mean the sex robot zombies) disarm the population(or come to eat their brains) they will know who you are ;)
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 2:30 am

Stix wrote:

Im sorry my 200Gauge tracer round & grenade launching 367 rnd/second shotty is a thread de-railer... :oops: consider it retracted... :clap:

Well I have to admit that gun is starting to grow on me now . You can keep it :lol: :thumbsup:
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jun 2019, 8:42 am

mickb wrote:
wanneroo wrote:I'm not in Australia, so I'm not held to the same restrictions as you all.

3. Suppressed MP5 SD

Just showing off Waneroo :D But not the most ideal choice for me if I was in the US though.One downside to the US gun freedoms is the old 1934 gun control act- you will need federal stamps to own fancy stuff like that. When the BATF (I mean the sex robot zombies) disarm the population(or come to eat their brains) they will know who you are ;)

Well a few companies I work for deal with the ATF all the time due to all the "toys" that we have and most of them are paper pushers who don't know one end of a M-60 from another but they do know paper work and serial numbers, so you better do your paperwork right. If the apocalypse comes or "Red Dawn" happens those people will be the least of my concern.

But I will play your game and assume I have been caught out on one of my trips to Australia and the Chicoms have invaded just like Red Dawn. I am standing in a gun shop at the time and everyone runs away in panic as the Chicoms land on the other side of town and I've got 2 minutes and the keys/safe combo to take 3 guns and whatever ammo I can stuff in a pack. That's actually a hard choice because everything has it's upside and downside. My first choice would be any sort of self loading Cat D rifle they have onsite. If they didn't have that my mind would probably drift to a 308 bolt gun because 308 is common and versatile. Second I'd want something in 9mm or 357 Mag as a concealable and close in back up. Third is a hard choice. That is location dependent. If I was in more of an urban or built up rural area or a place with a lot of vegetation then I might consider a 12g pump action, lever action or semi auto shotgun. More rural open areas I would probably want another centerfire rifle. I'm not a big fan of .223 but maybe I'd take that.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by straightshooter » 17 Jun 2019, 9:28 am

As I foreshadowed in an earlier post on this thread Hollywood brainwashing generally finds it's expression on threads like this.
So you think when truly the SHTF you will be safe in your fortress/bunker and be able to be like (insert name of you favoured movie tough guy here)
The reality is you will be a sitting duck. If ambush firepower doesn't bring you down then time and cunning will.

In the event a real SHTF situation developed in Australia survival would depend on some if not all of these.
Being able to speak Indonesian.
Being able to repair things.
Being able to improvise.
Having diverse well hidden food sources
Staying well and truly under the radar.
Don't think Hollywood shoot'em up hero, think more in terms of the life of Malcolm Naden on the run.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jun 2019, 1:17 pm

Have a look at the Australian film = the day after tomorrow...where 5 or 6 tweens go off camping for a few days.
In the middle of one night, a couple of them awake and see a large number of jets flying over head and the smell of avgas breeches their otherwise fresh air...but they think nothing of it.
When they return to their small home country town - things are very different, all the families, friends, adults are under the control of a 3rd party who are heavily armed...
The kids that go in hard like Rambo - die.
Some of the others, live like rats, and as SS has said, they do okay with their vigilante hits...

But - bringing realism into what is a fantasy thread is as irrelevant as the thread itself...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 17 Jun 2019, 2:06 pm

There’s a lot to be said of partisan’s during times of occupation. Nazi occupied France and other countries during WW2 . Vietnam was unwinable to the most modern army in the world. I don’t think a occupational force in some of the remote areas of Australia would fare much better
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 17 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm

Hmm what's strange is.... its obvious some people have me on mute now. Lol ahh wil
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Stix » 17 Jun 2019, 6:55 pm

straightshooter wrote:As I foreshadowed in an earlier post on this thread Hollywood brainwashing generally finds it's expression on threads like this.
So you think when truly the SHTF you will be safe in your fortress/bunker and be able to be like (insert name of you favoured movie tough guy here)
The reality is you will be a sitting duck. If ambush firepower doesn't bring you down then time and cunning will.

In the event a real SHTF situation developed in Australia survival would depend on some if not all of these.
Being able to improvise.
Don't think Hollywood shoot'em up hero, think more in terms of the life of Malcolm Naden on the run.

Well Straightshooter...its fine if you're a non believer...but you'll never change my beliefs...

Bruce Willis DID hang off a rope of a flying jumbo jet, crawl up the rope & kill the badies in the plane...!!!
(Hope ive got the right movie & scene there...lol).

And if an asteroid is going to hit the earth, they will easily land a shuttle on the asteroid along with a number of drilling crews & rigs & nuclear warheads will blow it up...JUST IN TIME...!!

Maybe thats my hero calling--ive done time on an underground rig--i could be your hero Straightshooter...!!!... :?

(Bloody non-believers... :roll: )

:D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jun 2019, 7:14 pm

If we're gonna be dreaming then..
Some kind of 50cal sniper rifle and a big heap of Depleted Uranium ammo.
images (15).jpeg
images (15).jpeg (37.62 KiB) Viewed 3926 times

And for the close up and personal jobs I'll be needing an AA12 shotgun with a mixed bag of 1oz slugs, 00SG, BB, #6, broken glass loads, rock salt loads, flash/bang loads and rubber bullets ... that should cover all bases.
images (12).jpeg
images (12).jpeg (35.26 KiB) Viewed 3926 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mickb » 17 Jun 2019, 7:47 pm

on-one-wheel, funnily enough I used to own a shotgun similar to that pre-1996. The Daewoo USAS-12 20 shot drum 12ga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Pr ... es_USAS-12.
They were $1895 in 1994, extra magazine drums were $400. I was 20 at the time and called their factory in Korea(keeping in mind this was pre-internet as well) and got hold of the designer! Cant remember why now but anyway he spoke pretty good English and we had a good chinwag. The barrel was 1/4 choke, some brands of slugs hung up in the 20 shot drum, the 10 shot mags fed everything though. Zombies would not have stood much chance, entire mobs of pigs didn't. :D
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 17 Jun 2019, 9:18 pm

Stix wrote:
straightshooter wrote:As I foreshadowed in an earlier post on this thread Hollywood brainwashing generally finds it's expression on threads like this.

Being able to improvise.

Well Straightshooter...its fine if you're a non believer...but you'll never change my beliefs...

Bruce Willis DID hang off a rope of a flying jumbo jet, crawl up the rope & kill the badies in the plane...!!!
(Hope ive got the right movie & scene there...lol).

And if an asteroid is going to hit the earth, they will easily land a shuttle on the asteroid along with a number of drilling crews & rigs & nuclear warheads will blow it up...JUST IN TIME...!!

Maybe thats my hero calling--ive done time on an underground rig--i could be your hero Straightshooter...!!!... :?

(Bloody non-believers... :roll: )

And he uses and prefers a 30-06....just saying :friends:
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Jun 2019, 9:55 pm

mickb wrote:on-one-wheel, funnily enough I used to own a shotgun similar to that pre-1996. The Daewoo USAS-12 20 shot drum 12ga.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daewoo_Pr ... es_USAS-12.

Lucky bugger 8-)
Far from a cheep toy in 94 :shock:
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 17 Jun 2019, 9:59 pm

mickb wrote:main reason I put 'legal guns' is because I wanted to hear about guns we are currently using. I have a general interest in conversations about bolt actions and pump actions and I do find survival, long term stockpiling, foraging, living off the land, interesting subjects. In our own national history we have had severe shortages of different ammo for example several times. Not so interested in hearing about auto weapons, RPG's, 16" ship cannons and ballistic missiles, because that is what the thread would have turned into :mrgreen: :thumbsup:

During and immediately after the war, Rose's dad apparently had to apply for a permit to buy a box of .22LR ammo. And it was expensive and hard to find, so when he went out to snag a feed for the pot he took just one round with him, and if he didn't get a shot at a rabbit the round went back in the box for next time. That to me explains perfectly why you need to stock pile .22LR ammo years before it becomes a problem.

I was chatting with some poms recently and they seem to have very strict _and pitiful_ limits on how much ammunition they can buy and possess. Even reloaders are only allowed to have a small amount of loaded ammo on-hand at any time, although they can have as many components as they want apparently. I didn't ask what that might mean to somebody with 25 different centrefire rifles, can they only keep ten rounds for each chambering? I read about Italy (I think it was) and there you can only own and shoot something like 100rds a year. Some countries have it way, way worse than we do :-(

I don't think of a warfare scenario as an apocalypse, I think more of an infrastructure breakdown leading to an immediate and continuing need for self-defense and having to hunt your own meat, so there wouldn't be any need for shooting over 100m maximum, or for anything more potent than .22LR.

If we were looking at an invasion though, and having to head for the hills to keep up a resistance movement, then the situation is very different. It would be both defensive and offensive, but weaponry would very likely be whatever could be liberated from the invaders, so I don't think your own preferences would matter at all.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 12:01 am

Ziad wrote:Hmm what's strange is.... its obvious some people have me on mute now. Lol ahh wil

Dont worry Ziad...i rekon im about the only one who reads my posts...before long it'll just be you n me in our own little circle...

If you're on mute, i must have skud missiles waiting for coordinates to be entered ...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 18 Jun 2019, 7:13 am

Haha it fells like it... I suppose I might have tried to upset a few people here... haha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2019, 9:17 am

What ! Who said that ? Oh, it’s you stix ;) you’re well set up already with ya 22-250 for the zombie wabbits hey mate ? :lol: dunno about skud missles, might need a bigger vehicle than a tray back land cruiser. I want the mini gun like out of the first predator movie. “Ole painless “ :lol: hey ya haven’t seen that ziad character around have ya ? Or did the zombies get him ? :sarcasm: :lol:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jun 2019, 10:20 am

Lol...maybe he used a 223 & they found him from the ricochet's of his misses... :unknown:

Hey Flutch... :unknown: ...lol... :thumbsup:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by flutch » 18 Jun 2019, 10:55 am

Stix wrote:Lol...maybe he used a 223 & they found him from the ricochet's of his misses... :unknown:

Hey Flutch... :unknown: ...lol... :thumbsup:

Haha, priceless, yeah I mean you know how it goes mate, think you're safe nek minnit ya fine shooting things then "**type here gun other than 22-250**" ricochets and you're ass is grass :allegedly: :wtf:
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 18 Jun 2019, 11:26 am

Maybe I’ll get lucky and we get invaded by the Swedes and I have plenty of ammo for my 6.5x55 . Lol . Wait a minute, ikea stores might be a front as they are strategically placed around the country. lol
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

PreviousNext

Return to Off topic - General conversation