NSW new licence application how long?

Questions about New South Wales gun and ammunition laws. NSW Firearms Act 1996.

Re: NSW new licence application how long?

Post by rookie » 23 Mar 2019, 3:30 pm

Damn zeju - my mate’s application didn’t change overnight this week, so he might be facing an issue. He did online application submitted early Feb.. good luck mate, will check in next Saturday :thumbsup:

Cruncher, I put fresh PTA apps (cat A x 2, cat b x 1) on a Sunday and the Saturday after the 28 days they were approved. Received the paper forms (which you will need) the following week and I’m in Sydney metro.

Good luck guys
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 2freeq » 23 Mar 2019, 6:37 pm

My mates license application date is 20th November and he still hasn't got his refer to RTA status. He is close to giving up. every time he calls they give him the generic "overload of applications" story. They said it could be another 6-8 weeks yet and just be patient. what a joke.
Howa 1500 .223
Marlin XT22SR .22LR
Lithgow .22LR
EMEI Chinese side lever .117 Air Rifle
2freeq
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Pixter » 24 Mar 2019, 5:36 pm

MrMickyD wrote:Mandatory 28 day cooling off period once they take your money, then God only knows .
Always check all your paper work over real good before you send it and dont leave anything out thats needed it just slows things up even more.
One thing being a licenced shooter in this country teaches you is patience youll need it in abundance.

I think you are referring to the Permission to Acquire for an already licensed shooter purchasing his first firearm. The OP is not asking that question. He is wondering how long he will have to wait for his licence to be approved.
Pixter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Pixter » 24 Mar 2019, 6:31 pm

Here's my licence application experience: Jan 24 applied online; application received and receipted immediately; FAR portal tells me application in progress; March 20 no change in application status, send a query via online portal; March 21 receive a phone call from a processing person telling me that the application has been approved and that she will send the paperwork to the coppers for final security check. She said I should receive snail mail of police approval in a week (but do not wait longer than three weeks before calling back if it doesn't arrive because the application will lapse in four weeks of police approval and the process must start again!). On receiving the correspondence, go to the RMS to have a plastic photo gun licence processed, which should arrive in the mail within a fortnight. Then you may apply for Permission to Acquire and once received you must wait 28 days before finalising the purchase. I am not expecting to have a rifle in my hot little hands until June-July. So provided you apply online, the full waiting period is about six months. If you have applied by snail mail, that could blow out to 12 months. My advice is to apply online (it's all automated); wait six weeks; message FAR via the website asking politely for an update and expected approval time. Hopefully they will respond promptly, as they did with me.
Pixter
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by multiphase » 27 Mar 2019, 9:31 am

Hi all, don’t want to let this extremely helpful thread die so thought I’d give an update to comfort those in waiting (in case you’re like me and thought the NZ tragedy may cause delays).

I’ll give a timeline below but just wanted to inform that after getting my licence recently I put two PTAs in as soon as I could (1 x rim fire and 1 x centrefire) and today marks the 30th day since the application and around 1am their status changed to PTA Issued :) Happy days :)

I’m overseas on holidays until next week but first thing I do when I get back will be organising a safe and then I’m still struggling with the decision of getting either a 22 or 6.5cm first... another thread is best for that dilemma though I guess. Anywho, here is the timeline, I should mention I applied for a paper application just over a month prior to submitting online, as after 5 or so weeks of checking the mailbox twice a day I received an email telling me to do so.

10/12: Application submitted online for A/B Target/Hunting
18/2: Online status changed to Referred to NSW Service Centre for photo
20/2: Photo advice received in mail
21/2: Photo taken at service centre
25/2: Physical licence arrived in mail
26/2: PTA system updated to allow for me to place applications
25/3: Last day of 28 day cooling off period
26/3: 11pm PTA status showing as still in progress
27/3: 1am Both PTAs showing as issued :D :D

Quick question, once I get home and install my safe, can I take the paper PTA to a LGS and walk out with my first rifle same day, or do I have another wait ahead of me while the PTA goes through final processing or something?

Cheers everyone for the updates in this thread so far and I’ll be crossing my fingers for those still waiting like I have been :)
multiphase
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 27 Mar 2019, 10:16 am

multiphase wrote:can I take the paper PTA to a LGS and walk out with my first rifle same day

Yep. That's your golden ticket.

Either bring a rifle bag/case with you or expect to buy one on the spot, and you'll be walking out with your spanky new firearm.
Last edited by GojiraSteve on 27 Mar 2019, 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 27 Mar 2019, 10:33 am

cruncher wrote: I now wonder if they are going to put me on 28 days PTA cooling off period. I did have two rifles before my previous license lapsed (had to transfer them to a friend), so technically this is not my first PTA.

I'm in a similar boat mate got out of the sport a few years ago. owned firearms in just about every category at that time, and now just getting back in. So technically the two I have in ATM are my 7th and 8th PTAs

I checked with FAR and apparently you cop the 28 day wait any time your lodging a PTA for a class of firearm where you haven't owned an example of that class in the previous 90days! So if you've been unlicenced (not had any firearms registered in your name) for more than three months you'll have a 28 day wait for your first cat A, AND for each of your first cat B/H/C/D whatever. Obviously you can lodge multiple PTAs to make it 28 days total but the rule will apply to each of them until you have one of each kind.

I'm not sure if thats how it used to be (from memory back in the 90s/00s it only applied to your actual first PTA) but it definitely works that way now.

*AMENDMENT TO THE ABOVE*

Apparently Cat A and B are treated as the same thing for the purposes of the 28 day waiting period. In other words get your first Cat A and you don't have to satisfy the waiting period for your first Cat B (or vice versa).
1st PTA for any subsequent category (H, C, D etc) and you cop the 28 day wait for each one.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 06 Apr 2019, 7:17 pm

Here's my jumping through the hoop.

4 Sep 18: Online request for application forms
18 Sep 18: Passed rifle safety course and exam
23 Sep 18: Online request for application forms AGAIN
2 Oct 18: Called FAR for application forms (both online requests didn't work)
10 Oct 18: Got the forms in the mail. Filled and express posted
12 Oct 18: Application status lodged online
- - - - each dash for a month of waiting
6 Feb 19: Photo advice received in mail
7 Feb 19: Went to RMS centre
19 Feb 19: Physical license arrived in mail
(went away for a week)
26 Feb 19: Lodged PTA
28 Mar 19: PTA issued
1 Apr 19: FAR mailed the PTA paper
5 Apr 19: Found the PTA paper in the mail
6 Apr 19: Bought a 22lr rimfire :)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 09 Apr 2019, 7:11 am

My PTA's approved! Lodged 10/3 approved 9/4, now we wait on the post. Funny thing though I put in a PTA when I lodged my license for an old shotgun of my Pop's that was handed in under the amnesty last September, that PTA is listed as lodged on 29/10/18 but is still yet to be approved, I understand it wouldn't be processed til my lic was approved, but the 3 new PTA's i lodged have been passed, but that one remains in "processing mode". Might have to call FAR today.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Browning XBolt .204 Ruger
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by lionet » 09 Apr 2019, 10:06 pm

Mr48Volts wrote:My PTA's approved! Lodged 10/3 approved 9/4, now we wait on the post. Funny thing though I put in a PTA when I lodged my license for an old shotgun of my Pop's that was handed in under the amnesty last September, that PTA is listed as lodged on 29/10/18 but is still yet to be approved, I understand it wouldn't be processed til my lic was approved, but the 3 new PTA's i lodged have been passed, but that one remains in "processing mode". Might have to call FAR today.

Congratulations! :drinks:

So after all this waiting, I can understand how you want to put in 3 PTAs at the same time. But I can't decide on what I'll want next and they have a expiry those PTAs. So I only put in one PTA for Cat-A. Will see how I go from here. :)
lionet
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 10 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

lionet wrote:Congratulations! :drinks:

So after all this waiting, I can understand how you want to put in 3 PTAs at the same time. But I can't decide on what I'll want next and they have a expiry those PTAs. So I only put in one PTA for Cat-A. Will see how I go from here. :)

Given it took 4 months for my lic to come through, by the time it did I knew exactly what I wanted and they are sitting at my LGS, paid for and awaiting collection, I'm hoping the Postie has them for me on Friday
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by GojiraSteve » 12 Apr 2019, 10:05 am

Well I guess we can call the process done for me!

Picked up my shiny new/old Savage Model 24 in .22 over 20g last night, and I'm off to St Mary's today for a shot.

The below is the timeline of events in this 8 month saga. (bear in mind I came in right as the online system was being implemented so I got stuck on the paper app merry-go-round...)

27/08 Requested app forms be sent out by FAR
09/10 App forms received in my mail box
Total = 44 days (for FAR to post out ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

10/10 App forms sent back
02/11 App marked as received - with an effective date of 15/10
Total = 24 days (to scan ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

15/10 App marked as received
26/02 Licence approved
Total = 124 days

01/03 PTA lodged
31/03 PTA issued
Total = 30 days (given there was a mandatory 28 day waiting period I was pretty impressed with this step)

08/04 PTA arrives in my mailbox
11/04 Sweet little rimfire/shottie combo gun collected from LGS!!!

All up, from first contact with FAR to actually taking possession of my firearm we have a total of 228 days, or 7 months 16 days.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 12 Apr 2019, 4:56 pm

GojiraSteve wrote:Well I guess we can call the process done for me!

Picked up my shiny new/old Savage Model 24 in .22 over 20g last night, and I'm off to St Mary's today for a shot.

The below is the timeline of events in this 8 month saga. (bear in mind I came in right as the online system was being implemented so I got stuck on the paper app merry-go-round...)

27/08 Requested app forms be sent out by FAR
09/10 App forms received in my mail box
Total = 44 days (for FAR to post out ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

10/10 App forms sent back
02/11 App marked as received - with an effective date of 15/10
Total = 24 days (to scan ONE PIECE OF PAPER)

15/10 App marked as received
26/02 Licence approved
Total = 124 days

01/03 PTA lodged
31/03 PTA issued
Total = 30 days (given there was a mandatory 28 day waiting period I was pretty impressed with this step)

08/04 PTA arrives in my mailbox
11/04 Sweet little rimfire/shottie combo gun collected from LGS!!!

All up, from first contact with FAR to actually taking possession of my firearm we have a total of 228 days, or 7 months 16 days.

Well done mate bloody awesome to hear. I thought my PTA’s might come today in the mail but alas another hurdle of disappointment in this journey to owning firearms. I’m booked to go away next weekend if the don’t turn up by Thursday I’ll be like Malcolm Turnbull when he got booted lol but given everyone’s timeline I’d be surprised if they are t here by Tuesday at the latest.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 15 Apr 2019, 7:03 am

Glad to hear everyone is making progress!

I'm at a colourful 122 days now, still listed as 'New Application in Progress'.

13 Dec 2018 is the application date. I can only hope that the good news for everyone else translates to some sort of progress here, as well!
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Rob4557 » 16 Apr 2019, 9:01 am

Hi All,

First time poster so if it’s in the wrong spot my apologies.
My AB license was up for renewal. I sent my online reapplication in for my AB and it was received by FAR, processed in a short period of time and I received my photo advice letter in the mail yesterday. That process from online application to letter in my hands took 15 days.
As part of the process I made a first time application to add Cat D to my license. I did that process on line also and at the same time as I renewed my Cat AB lic. As part of the Cat D application I answered their questions, submitted my ABN, letter from my registered Tax agent indicating the ABN was for a pest control business, copies of 4 pest control contracts I have (I have since received 3 more back from clients that I haven’t submitted).
I live in rural/remote Nsw, legitimately shoot vertebrate pest animals for various people (mainly pigs, roos and dogs) and wanted to turn it into a side line business. Since my original AB license only had recreational hunting and vermin control as genuine reasons my license doesn’t allow me to provide a service and charge for it. To do so would be a breach of licence conditions and the FAR have confirmed this over the phone.
My questions are-
1. How long does adding a Category (D) and Genuine Reason (VPAC- Contract Shooter) take?
2. Should I send copies of the additional pest control contracts to the FAR to demonstrate further I have a legitimate business opportunity?
3. Is there anything else I should be doing to help facilitate my application?

Sorry for the long post, I was trying to make sure you had the background information.
Thanks for any help or guidance.

Regards,

Rob
Rob4557
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 16 Apr 2019, 2:53 pm

PTA’s arrived today, the process from the 1st time I asked for the application was 246 days. 169 days from the lodging of my paperwork
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 29 Apr 2019, 1:15 pm

selaga wrote:I rang the SSAA (NSW) and got the approval number also asked them to publish it on their website.

Other NSW SSAA branches have it on their website like Mudgee, etc.

It is a 9 digit number.

For reference, target is 409 053 351 (NSW01) aka Sydney branch.

The hunting club number for NSW01 (Sydney branch) is 409 053 360
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 06 May 2019, 11:25 am

Hi Guys,

I had some Issues finding the 9 digit Hunting approval number for the orange SSAA. eventually i called them and found out that it was 409 051 057.

just thought i would add it somewhere incase somebody else needed it.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 09 May 2019, 8:33 pm

Good on ya Plinker.

Pretty sure when I did my application I asked around and I was told that you just need the letter / card from SSAA showing that you're a member and of what branch. I don't recall the exact wording on the form, but it says something like "proof of club membership OR club official confirmation" or something similar. For those who the former option is a bit of a pain (and it can be), that info is useful for sure.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ckraus » 10 May 2019, 6:46 pm

Just applied so be interesting to see how long the wait is going to be.

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.
ckraus
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 14 May 2019, 9:23 am

ckraus wrote:Just applied so be interesting to see how long the wait is going to be.

29/4 - Application via ServiceNSW completed
10/5 - Letter from FAR received in post confirming lodgment of application dated 3/5. Letter mentioned minimum processing time is 6 to 8 weeks.

Exactly the same dates as me ckraus, will be interesting to see if we get approved at the same time. :)
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 18 May 2019, 3:46 am

Well, 5 months and 6 days and finally Referred to Service NSW.

They certainly make you wait for it. :D
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Mr48Volts » 19 May 2019, 7:56 am

Zeju wrote:Well, 5 months and 6 days and finally Referred to Service NSW.

They certainly make you wait for it. :D

Well done mate. Now the paper and PTA wait.
Bear in a human suit.
Savage 17HMR
Tikka T3x .204 Ruger
Howa APC 6.5 Creedmoor
Adler A110
Miroku MK38 Sporter
Mr48Volts
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Zeju » 28 May 2019, 12:39 am

13th October 2018 - Went through FAR website to get Application forms sent out.

16th November 2018 - Sent for forms again as they still hadn't shown up and had been less than helfpul. Called them as well to make sure.

4th December 2018 - Forms arrived, filled out and sent away.

13th December 2018 - Acknowledgement of application received.

18th May 2019 - Referred to Service NSW for Issue

24th May 2019 - Photo Advice Received. Photo taken and license paid same day.

30th May 2019 - License Received. Just waiting for the systems to update now.

My current timeline. I'm expecting my license in the mail today or tomorrow, but I have no idea when I'll be able to put in for a PTA. One of the reasons I believe my application took so long is that it was one of the last paper applications to go though, I'm quite sure. So for anyone just doing theirs now, don't worry. It shouldn't take five months.
Zeju
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 01 Jun 2019, 7:10 pm

Great to hear Zeju!
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fiddism90 » 07 Jun 2019, 4:56 pm

Looks like the system is speeding up.
I lodged my application online on 2/3/19
Marked as received immediately
Received email requesting an additional
Document on 4/6/19
After emailing through what they wanted I received a response declaring they have recommended my licence for approval, it also says a service nsw request will be generated over the weekend.

3 months and 2 days is not bad.
Fiddism90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by rookie » 20 Jun 2019, 8:34 am

Fiddism90 wrote:3 months and 2 days is not bad.

Curious what category this was Fiddism90?
rookie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Fiddism90 » 20 Jun 2019, 10:44 am

rookie wrote:
Fiddism90 wrote:3 months and 2 days is not bad.

Curious what category this was Fiddism90?

A & B recreational hunting
Although I am still waiting for referral to service nsw in the mail. Stopped holding my breath.
Fiddism90
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by jedipimp » 22 Jun 2019, 2:19 pm

Man, who else could be 100% inefficient in their work and still be considered 'not bad'. 3 months and 2 days in almost 13 weeks - their published ETA is 6-8 weeks!
jedipimp
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Plinker99 » 24 Jun 2019, 11:25 am

jedipimp wrote:Man, who else could be 100% inefficient in their work and still be considered 'not bad'. 3 months and 2 days in almost 13 weeks - their published ETA is 6-8 weeks!

Exactly! my application was marked as received 8 weeks ago today. I called up the FAR and the girl said I should expect to see some action before the end of this month,

Fingers crossed it is a bit quicker than 3 months, however I am not holding my breath.
Plinker99
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

PreviousNext

Return to New South Wales gun laws