How many rounds to sight in?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

How many rounds to sight in?

Post by xDom » 03 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

Putting a new scope on any particular rifle, how many rounds would you expect it take to sight in?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: How many rounds to sight in?

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 6:04 pm

Exactly 2 take a shot then wind the scope to the POI.You have to have the rifle securely mounted
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 03 Jul 2019, 6:08 pm

duncan61 wrote:Exactly 2 take a shot then wind the scope to the POI.You have to have the rifle securely mounted

Would you consider Caldwell bags front and rear to be secure or are you talking about one of those expensive looking front stands!?!
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 6:24 pm

benchrest.jpg
benchrest.jpg (448.61 KiB) Viewed 5514 times
I use this and also shoot Field class with it,The front rest has an adjustable winder and I adjust to where I am comfortable then get amongst it.It drops on the bonnet for long range shooting as well.Much better than bags and bipods :thumbsup:
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by xDom » 03 Jul 2019, 6:27 pm

Yeah, Ive seen them. MTM Predator? They're reasonably priced. Are you happy with it?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jul 2019, 7:09 pm

If it is bore sighted to start with, then half a dozen should have you sorted. Last time I did my lever action (no bore sighting of course) I used about that many. Targets with squares of a certain size on them helps when you make scope adjustments. I have used Duncans method, and then moved the target out to 100m and worked from there.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jul 2019, 7:22 pm

Or there is an alternative method, which I observed at the gun range a while back. Get a good centerfire like the .243 old mate had, and sight it on the 25m target. When the bullets hit the dirt in front, to the side, or behind the target, you then turn the turrets a few full turns and have another crack. This allow you to hit the dirt around the target in a different spot. Perhaps it was a variation on shooting the square. Having tilled the soil ready for planting your favourite flowers you can then go home. :sarcasm:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by marksman » 03 Jul 2019, 7:35 pm

xDom wrote:Putting a new scope on any particular rifle, how many rounds would you expect it take to sight in?

my answer is as many as it takes :unknown:

I get on paper at 25yd or 50yd then move out to 100yd and get the bullets to shoot around 1 1/2 inches higher than bull then out to 200yd to bullseye
I have done it in as few as maybe 4-5 shots but not always
I use a bore sighter when I put the scope on the rifle but actually bore sight when I have the rifle on bags before trying at 25yd or 50yd
the rig that duncan is using has problems in that your rifle cant slide in recoil IMO better off bags but whatever works for you :drinks: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 03 Jul 2019, 7:42 pm

Hmmm for your first try... take 20, just to be safe.

Try and boresight at 25m. Then fire at your target at 25 until you on the paper (might only take 1 or 2). Then move target to 100m and get it where you want... might take 3 or 10.

Then have fun for the rest
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 03 Jul 2019, 8:05 pm

About 200 to start with and then and ongoing....because I second guess myself every bloody shot - was that me? was that the wind?...maybe that shot had weak neck tension?, was the barrel fouled after that shot? Was I really concentrating reloading last night? I flinched, I’m sure I flinched..s**t.? The trigger felt different that shot, shouldn’t have broke the trigger - bugger?...and so on...there’s always room for improving lol.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by xDom » 03 Jul 2019, 8:12 pm

TassieTiger wrote:. was that me? was that the wind?...maybe that shot had weak neck tension?, was the barrel fouled after that shot? Was I really concentrating reloading last night? I flinched, I’m sure I flinched..s**t.? The trigger felt different that shot, shouldn’t have broke the trigger - bugger.

Yep, that's me mate. In a sense, that's what I love about rifles and why I have less of an interest in shotguns.

If there's foxes and rabbits to shoot, that's a bonus. I love getting those really tight groups.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 03 Jul 2019, 8:30 pm

start at 25 with the largest bulls eye target and "walk" each round till your around 1" low from point of aim. at 25 yards it's that close shooting any sort of group is pointless. then move out to 50 and shoot a three shot group and adjust till your around point of aim or maybe a speck higher, depending on caliber . then move out to 100 and shoot groups and fine tune accordingly. using this method i can normally get a rifle sighted by around 20 rounds depending on how well i know the scope and rifle. i've found that sometimes scopes can take a few rounds to "settle " as well. so don't be suprised if you have to nip up the screws for the scope rings or adjust it slightly next time you shoot. it should be fine after that . that's a method i use that works for me . don't overtighten your scope rings and crush the tube. i have my thumb on the bend of the allen key and my pointer and middle finger on the end of the key to tighten until firm . works for me :thumbsup:

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by sungazer » 03 Jul 2019, 8:43 pm

5 shots really should be enough. As others have said bore sight it first using a target as far away as you can get. That should get you one the paper at 100 aim for a certain point, shoot and then place you scope back on the point you aimed at and move the cross hairs to the point of impact repeat a few more times to refine. Fancy rests are not needed just a solid platform. I would not suggest a rest like duncan has shown especially if you ever want to use it in a competition. The front and rear rests are not allowed to be connected in 99% of the classes of competition rules.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 8:48 pm

:D :D :D :D :allegedly: Tassie you blamed the rifle Oooppps
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 03 Jul 2019, 8:58 pm

If you have a bipod, attach it and use a rear bag. Look down the bore at a 50 metre target and centre it. Without moving the rifle, wind the cross hair to the middle of your target and then fire a shot. Reset the rifle so the cross hair is back where you aimed and wind to where the bullet went. You now should be able to hit the 100 target. Shoot at the middle of the 100 target and reset again to where you shot. Wind again to the bullet and your next shot should be getting pretty close.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jul 2019, 9:01 pm

duncan61 wrote:Exactly 2 take a shot then wind the scope to the POI.You have to have the rifle securely mounted

:thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 03 Jul 2019, 9:07 pm

Stand in front of a Mirror and look through your scope, you will see 2 images of crosshairs, adjust the turrets so they are both overlapping, now your Xhairs are centred,

I should only take 2 shots as Duncan said, then maybe a 3rd to confirm.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2019, 9:21 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Stand in front of a Mirror and look through your scope, you will see 2 images of crosshairs, adjust the turrets so they are both overlapping, now your Xhairs are centred,

I gotta try that . :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 03 Jul 2019, 10:20 pm

I did a refurbish job on my BLR, so of course the scope was removed. But then I forgot I had removed it. :wtf: :oops:

I had to go to the range down the rack a bit, mainly to shoot the .22, but on my previous trip away I had check sighted the BLR over a poor rest and was not happy with it. The range was a good time to check it properly. So after finishing with the .22, I decided to check the BLR. First shot was at 50m which was a fair way off the bull. Bit low and left, no good I thought. Wonder why I thought. But of course the scope had been off since the last trip!!! Idiot!!!

But even without bore sighting, it was still on a A4 size target at 50m.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 03 Jul 2019, 11:42 pm

The MTM Predator is the second one I have had and I am lost without it.You can be a smartass and open the compartment underneath and eject spent rounds straight into it.going to try the mirror thing very soon
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by MontyShooter » 04 Jul 2019, 7:51 am

6-8 would be my average.
But I have had days where it takes more than that just to work out where in the dirt I'm hitting with some of the big magnums.
Having a spotter helps.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jul 2019, 8:03 am

A friend has proven to me that with his Leupold QD rings - he can remove his scope, shoot it in another rifle, put it back in his 222 and be within an inch of original - I was gobsmacked.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JSS » 04 Jul 2019, 8:06 am

TassieTiger wrote:About 200 to start with and then and ongoing....because I second guess myself every bloody shot - was that me? was that the wind?...maybe that shot had weak neck tension?, was the barrel fouled after that shot? Was I really concentrating reloading last night? I flinched, I’m sure I flinched..s**t.? The trigger felt different that shot, shouldn’t have broke the trigger - bugger?...and so on...there’s always room for improving lol.

Taz you've obviously watched me sighting in and decided to copy my vastly superior technique.
Just so you know for future reference I like to call it "The OCD Method". :lol: :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 04 Jul 2019, 8:13 am

Mate once boresighted, I get it on at 25m, then move target to 100m.
Generally one or two three round groups to get it right. If it takes more then so be it. There is no specific number. Who cares how many it takes you. Keep going until you’re happy. You don’t have anyone to impress.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2019, 10:31 am

Oldbloke wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Stand in front of a Mirror and look through your scope, you will see 2 images of crosshairs, adjust the turrets so they are both overlapping, now your Xhairs are centred,

I gotta try that . :thumbsup:

Well worth it, saves chasing shots that aren't even hitting the target let alone the barn in the background. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 12:10 pm

xDom wrote:Putting a new scope on any particular rifle, how many rounds would you expect it take to sight in?

Boresight first, then fire one round. Position the rifle so the sights are fixed on the aiming point, then (without moving the rifle) turn the turrets to move the reticle to the bullet hole. Then fire a few more to confirm.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 12:10 pm

xDom wrote:

Would you consider Caldwell bags front and rear to be secure or are you talking about one of those expensive looking front stands!?!

Anything that holds the rifle so it can't move while you adjust the turrets is fine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 12:16 pm

TassieTiger wrote:A friend has proven to me that with his Leupold QD rings - he can remove his scope, shoot it in another rifle, put it back in his 222 and be within an inch of original - I was gobsmacked.

I can do the same with $10 Chinese QD rings.
Also, I've been playing with the Ruger Precision Rimfire with open sights, and have been taking the scope on and off regularly, with _no_ change in zero at 100m. This is on the M16 carry handle scope mount so I don't need to use the QD rings on this.

Modern CNC machines make this virtually impossible to screw up.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jul 2019, 2:59 pm

Might be virtually impossible but given a .4 or 5mm tightening / alignment difference could result in a 2 inch x 100m difference, it does impress my small brain nonetheless....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bladeracer » 04 Jul 2019, 3:09 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Might be virtually impossible but given a .4 or 5mm tightening / alignment difference could result in a 2 inch x 100m difference, it does impress my small brain nonetheless....

The Chinese QD rings are a lever, so you can't vary the tension at all when mounting/demounting the scope, you open the lever, lift the scope off, put the scope on, close the lever. If you were putting it onto a different rifle or different Pic rail it might make a difference I guess. The M16 carry handle is a 120mm long slot that the pic rail sits inside, with a nut underneath, would be very difficult to remount that out of alignment.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics