22LR what feeds and extracts reliably?

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

22LR what feeds and extracts reliably?

Post by plinksterman » 11 Jul 2019, 10:16 am

I have a Ruger American 22LR with laminate stock. It jams on feeding 3/10 times. One my friends has a ruger american synthetic that feeds reliably (be it with lucky13 25round or ruger 10round). I was confused, now I think I have it all figured out. The laminate stock has a magazine well that has been cut out by a router / wood mill. You can see the rounded indentation in the corners like pic related
ruger lam magwell.png
ruger lam magwell.png (15.85 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
. Whereas the plastic stock has the magwell of plastic based on the size of the injection mold. The difference is the plastic stock magwell is precise sized due to the injection mold. The laminate stock magwell is roughshod because they just haphazardly buzz it out with some cnc router piece of crap I assume, and it cut it too big.

Now the ruger mags dont mate with anything near the feed lips, they are held in 2 contact points one in the middle at the front, and again at the back. and the mounting points are round so the mags gan roll left and right until they hit the sides of the magwell. The greater the magwell is oversized the futher the mag can roll.

The top of the mag has the ejector and the feed ramp built into it, and the bolt slides over it very precisely, any roll and the bolt will strike it and jam against it rather than slide over it if it rolls around right/clockwise (rising the left side with the ejector into the path of the bolt). Or if it rolls around left/counter clockwise (rising the right side with the feed rampy bit) then the 22LR jams after feeding halfway and then the bolt crinkles the 22LR into a boomerang shape.

Basically, it is being a piece of crap for me, working smoothly sometimes and jam-o-matic other times until I figured it out. Changing or modifying the stock to more tightly hold the magazines in the EXACT right location will fix this. Don't know how, maybe build it up with araldite / cotton fiber, or solder, and then file that back until it fits tight and correctly aligned. That's my idea but don't know how I'm going to do that.

What 22LR feeds and ejects reliably and never jams not even once?
Veritas Aequitas
plinksterman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: 22LR what feeds and extracts reliably?

Post by plinksterman » 12 Jul 2019, 9:07 am

Besides a revolver or a single shot. Like whats the Lithgow with the removable magazine, or the Henry lever with the built in tube.
Veritas Aequitas
plinksterman
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2019, 10:18 am

plinksterman wrote:I have a Ruger American 22LR with laminate stock. It jams on feeding 3/10 times. One my friends has a ruger american synthetic that feeds reliably (be it with lucky13 25round or ruger 10round). I was confused, now I think I have it all figured out. The laminate stock has a magazine well that has been cut out by a router / wood mill. You can see the rounded indentation in the corners like pic related
ruger lam magwell.png
. Whereas the plastic stock has the magwell of plastic based on the size of the injection mold. The difference is the plastic stock magwell is precise sized due to the injection mold. The laminate stock magwell is roughshod because they just haphazardly buzz it out with some cnc router piece of crap I assume, and it cut it too big.

Now the ruger mags dont mate with anything near the feed lips, they are held in 2 contact points one in the middle at the front, and again at the back. and the mounting points are round so the mags gan roll left and right until they hit the sides of the magwell. The greater the magwell is oversized the futher the mag can roll.

The top of the mag has the ejector and the feed ramp built into it, and the bolt slides over it very precisely, any roll and the bolt will strike it and jam against it rather than slide over it if it rolls around right/clockwise (rising the left side with the ejector into the path of the bolt). Or if it rolls around left/counter clockwise (rising the right side with the feed rampy bit) then the 22LR jams after feeding halfway and then the bolt crinkles the 22LR into a boomerang shape.

Basically, it is being a piece of crap for me, working smoothly sometimes and jam-o-matic other times until I figured it out. Changing or modifying the stock to more tightly hold the magazines in the EXACT right location will fix this. Don't know how, maybe build it up with araldite / cotton fiber, or solder, and then file that back until it fits tight and correctly aligned. That's my idea but don't know how I'm going to do that.

What 22LR feeds and ejects reliably and never jams not even once?

I have two Ruger Americans, and the RPR, and they all feed reliably. The Target model had issues when I swapped it into the MDT chassis. The mag well in the chassis is cut very slightly too long, allowing the front of the magazine to drop about one millimeter during feeding, causing feed issues. Holding the magazine up when cycling the bolt fixes it, but I found that increasing the length of the bolt through the middle of the mag, just slightly by unscrewing it a couple of turns fixed it permanently. I have many thousands of rounds through both the Americans.

I really like the non-rotary 15rd mag that comes with the RPR, it's excellent.

As for other rifles, I only really have feed issues with the Norinco JW21 lever when it starts getting dirty after a few hundred rounds. My Henry lever and 1950 BSA Sportsman 5 feed perfectly. I converted my 1940 Remington 510 single-shot into a ten-shot repeater, and it will do ten-round mag dumps with zero issues.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Strikey » 12 Jul 2019, 5:54 pm

A 22LR that feeds and ejects reliably????? Never in over 40yrs has my Brno Model 1 ever had an issue and I am buggered if I know how many tens of thousands of rounds it has fired, can't beat old school :drinks:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 13 Jul 2019, 11:43 am

Have you tried different mags, i have seen a bad mag or two that just wouldn't feed right in certain Ruger models.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 13 Jul 2019, 2:48 pm

There is a Ruger mag mod described on the Rimfire Central forum.
Original mag supplied with my RAR fed fine, bought a spare clear plastic mag [Ruger manufacture] and it would not.
Mod involves shimming the mag to tighten fit fore and aft, I used silicone adhesive and brass shim.
You may find that your mate's mag feeds fine in your rifle, I recall once swapping CZ mags with a friend at the range, my mag fed just fine in both rifles but his gave trouble in his rifle but worked fine in mine !!!
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Farmerpete » 13 Jul 2019, 6:12 pm

I know it sounds stupid but could you just add a few layers of duct tape to both sides of the mag might be an easier fix
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2019, 4:42 pm

My cz 452 has never missed a beat.

Thousands of rounds and the only problems have been operater error.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kelsey Cooter » 16 Jul 2019, 7:31 am

Maybe give one of these a go. I bought one for my 10/22 a couple of years ago and its great. It might line up the magazine correctly for you
Attachments
Screenshot_20190716-072521.png
Screenshot_20190716-072521.png (256.59 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Screenshot_20190716-072506.png
Screenshot_20190716-072506.png (462.62 KiB) Viewed 2262 times
Kelsey Cooter
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles