Ozzie visiting the USA

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Ozzie visiting the USA

Post by Grizzle » 13 Jul 2019, 10:15 pm

Hi all
I’ve planned a trip to the states for next year. I have friends that hunt and fish in Colorado, Texas & Wisconsin. Been trying to find out the legalities re hunting / fishing licenses I may need, but the internet is not flushed with information. Any ideas where I might find accurate info?
Ruger Precision Rimfire .22
Henry .22WMR Lever
Ruger American .17HMR
Fabarm Gamma Lux 32" 12g O/U
1945 Lithgow SMLE .303
Tikka T3 204
Browning A-Bolt 30.06
Anschutz Match 54 .22 S/S Target
Grizzle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Ozzie visiting the USA

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jul 2019, 10:43 pm

Grizzle wrote:Hi all
I’ve planned a trip to the states for next year. I have friends that hunt and fish in Colorado, Texas & Wisconsin. Been trying to find out the legalities re hunting / fishing licenses I may need, but the internet is not flushed with information. Any ideas where I might find accurate info?

I'd be asking your friends that hunt and fish in those states.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 14 Jul 2019, 11:06 am

Every state has a wildlife or fish and game commission and quite often you can purchase what licence you need right online. I would find each states website and find out what will be in season and so on. Some states may require a hunter safety course to be completed.

Baring that, any gun store that caters to the local fishing and hunting crowd will have licences for purchase or can point you in the right direction.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by gunnnie » 14 Jul 2019, 8:23 pm

Was in the USA in late 2016. Stayed with friends in Nebraska & they offered to take us shotgunning for grouse. We bought the 1-day license on line as non-residents. From memory it was about $25USD each. I did look at a 1-day white tail deer license also but at over $500USD for a non-resident I passed.

From what I learnt over there, you can purchase non-resident permits in each state. You just need to be able to print the permit off as you must carry it with you.
gunnnie
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 14 Jul 2019, 11:13 pm

If you have friends hunting where you are travelling too - wouldn’t your very first point of call be to them, to ask what might be required....seems a strange question to post up...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by wanneroo » 15 Jul 2019, 12:11 am

gunnnie wrote:Was in the USA in late 2016. Stayed with friends in Nebraska & they offered to take us shotgunning for grouse. We bought the 1-day license on line as non-residents. From memory it was about $25USD each. I did look at a 1-day white tail deer license also but at over $500USD for a non-resident I passed.

From what I learnt over there, you can purchase non-resident permits in each state. You just need to be able to print the permit off as you must carry it with you.

With low population, low tax states like Nebraska and Wyoming, hunting and fishing fees pay for a lot of the state's budget, so it's not uncommon to see some higher than average non resident fees.

Our non resident licence fee is $101 and you get one deer tag, one turkey and small game for one year.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wrenchman » 15 Jul 2019, 9:56 am

also read the states hunting regs not every states is the same colorado is on a draw for some big game and as has been stated you can do it all on line.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by wanneroo » 15 Jul 2019, 11:47 pm

Yep think of every state as it's own country when it comes to rules, regs and seasons on fish and game.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bladeracer » 16 Jul 2019, 5:27 pm

wanneroo wrote:Yep think of every state as it's own country when it comes to rules, regs and seasons on fish and game.

Same as here, and probably every other country in the world.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 17 Jul 2019, 10:27 pm

buy the way welcome to the states i hope you have a good time states like wisconsin and michigan much of the hunting is about deer camp some of the oldest hunting camps in the country are in these states.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Off topic - General conversation