CZ455 accuracy and feral cat troubles

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

CZ455 accuracy and feral cat troubles

Post by Pademelon » 20 Jul 2019, 11:43 pm

Disclaimer: New shooter alert, stupid questions may be present. :lol: So, today I decided to check the zero on my CZ455 since I had put the scope back on after testing another one. Shot a .98in 3 shot group at 50m off the hood of the 4x4. Is this acceptable or should I expect more? I was using a homemade wood front rest but no rear rest and scope was a 6x42 Nikko Stirling. I know it's good enough for hunting because I rarely miss a wallaby's head when spotlighting but... would I embarrass myself if I turned up at the range? Can I get a sub 1 inch group at 100 m? Do I need a better scope and front and rear bags etc? With my current setup is that the best I can do?
Change of topic, since we have a lot of feral cats on our property I carry a rifle around as much as I can. Only problem is that I don't see anything when I'm carrying and almost always see the cats when I'm not. Except for today. Had two rifles with me this time since I was sighting them in and had just packed up and decided to go for a quick drive to the paddocks I know cats frequent. This time I did see a cat and multiple opportunities to take a shot but... both rifles were unloaded... :x By the time I had managed to grab a box of ammo and stuff a magazine the cat had decided it might be better off if it jumped the fence and disappeared into the bush.
Can anyone kindly share some tips? I've been trying to trap them but with no success, I must be doing something wrong. I did shoot one a few weeks back but only because it was caught hanging around the chickens and was dumb enough to not know what being lit up by a spotlight meant. :lol:
Attachments
20190720_162320.jpg
20190720_162320.jpg (1.74 MiB) Viewed 2443 times
Last edited by Pademelon on 21 Jul 2019, 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pademelon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: CZ455 accuracy and feral cat troubles

Post by Bills Shed » 21 Jul 2019, 12:19 am

Heaps good enough for a cat. Group size is for paper shooters. Minute of wallaby head does the job every day and is your reality. Nothing wrong with that. Going to the range to practice is fine but the real work starts when the spotlight is turned on.
Just enjoy and do not over think it.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jul 2019, 3:55 am

I have the same scope on an old norinco that was handed down - I also have a cz with a 3-9 on it and it is MUCH easier to shoot smaller groups with as a result.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 21 Jul 2019, 10:41 am

dont know if I would say that you would embarrass yourself but how you could tighten up your group is to check over your rifle and
make sure the trigger is not to heavy, lighten if necessary
see if the barrel is floating if not sand the barrel channel till it is
make sure everything is snug and tight
get a few different brands of 22 ammo and see what the rifle likes to shoot
forget what is written just under your target and dont clean your bore

when changing ammo brands it may take a few shots before the rifle starts to shoot true
give it a go and let us know how it went :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Pademelon » 21 Jul 2019, 6:28 pm

The entire length of barrel is free floating since it's in a Boyds Evolution stock so no problems there. The trigger seems alright, it's definitely nowhere near as heavy as my Marlin.
I've only tried CCI minimag 36 gn hollow point, Winchester Super Speed 37.5 gn hollow point, and Highland RX 36 gn large cavity hollow point. The CCI minimags don't eject half the time, I think it might have something to do with the slightly thicker rim so that rules them out. The Winchester Super Speed and Highland both shoot about the same. I might get a box each of a few brands of match ammo when I have some spare cash. It will be interesting to see how it goes. Best so far is a .9 in 5 shot group at 50m and I want to see if I can halve that.
Yeah I was happy when I was told at the gun shop that I didn't need to clean the bore. :lol:
Attachments
CZ455 resized.jpg
CZ455 resized.jpg (1.35 MiB) Viewed 2303 times
Pademelon
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by TassieTiger » 21 Jul 2019, 6:51 pm

This shoots remarkably well in my cz.
Attachments
A8F68D1D-07C5-4070-9675-A59C58378FF3.png
A8F68D1D-07C5-4070-9675-A59C58378FF3.png (431.39 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by snag » 26 Jul 2019, 9:18 pm

My CZ 455 (varmint barrel) shoots like a laser beam with Federal Champion high velocity solids but won't give a tight group with anything low velocity, no matter what brand. Funnily enough, it also shoots pretty well with Remington Cyclones. CCI mini mags go alright, but hates Eley. Fussy buggers these .22's.
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by meawls » 27 Jul 2019, 3:06 pm

G’day mate ... and welcome to your honourable new sport.

I generally agree with what others here have said, but I’ll also add this. I don’t recall reading if you mentioned the age of your rifle ... I have found with at least my last 3 new rimfire purchases - a CZ 452, a 455 and a Lithgow - that you need to fire several hundred rounds before things really settle in. I kid you not when I say that I nearly ditched the 452 due to iffy accuracy ... until its groups began to shrink to very nearly half the original size at new.

As others here have said, rimfires are fickle beasts, and two brand new rifles one serial number apart could shoot very differently. Try every different ammo you can lay your hands on ... and when you crack a winner, buy the gun shop out of that batch ... because guess what - the ammo can shoot differently from batch to batch as well ...!!

Let’s know how you get on hey ...
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by meawls » 27 Jul 2019, 3:12 pm

Actually I will add something else ... check the reticle on your scope. I’m not familiar with your scope model, but I find on a couple of mine that the crosshairs are quite thick, and can obscure the X ring when shooting for accuracy. If you have access to a scope that has a fine crosshair, and want to check your rifle for its best possible accuracy potential, perhaps change them out while you do your load development, then put the original back on wen you’ve picked a winner ...
meawls
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles