Entry level Night Vision

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: Entry level Night Vision

Post by xDom » 23 Jul 2019, 11:21 pm

Well I’m yet to hear a bad report about it.
I got an Optisan 3-12 scope specifically for it.
I’ve been telling the other hunting fellas at work about it.
It’s not about the landscape detail, it’s the eye shine.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2019, 4:59 am

Hmmmm,see,I want detail too. Coz I don't do shooting at just eye shine. That's how you end up shooting something you're not meant to. Luckily,with a parallax adjustable scope you get a fair amount of detail too
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2019, 5:02 am

Screenshot_20190724-043133_Gallery.jpg
15m
Screenshot_20190724-043133_Gallery.jpg (377.2 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2019, 5:03 am

Screenshot_20190724-043036_Gallery.jpg
About 70m
Screenshot_20190724-043036_Gallery.jpg (373.13 KiB) Viewed 5825 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2019, 5:05 am

Both pics just using my phone camera. That's on a Nikko Stirling gold crown 4-12×50 scope and just using the on board IR torch,which is actually really good imo
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 24 Jul 2019, 10:07 pm

Have you an idea yet of how far out the built in light will reach in terms of identifying a fox by shape Pete...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 24 Jul 2019, 10:30 pm

Not yet
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by ramshackle » 26 Jul 2019, 6:05 pm

bigpete wrote:400

Where did you buy it, if I may ask? Want one too
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 27 Jul 2019, 10:54 pm

Ok Stix,I tested the unit out properly tonight.
As a monocular,I'd be confident identifying a fox at around the 250m mark with the in board IR torch.
With it attached to a scope I'd think you could from further if you fiddled with focus a bit. And you really do need an adjustable parallax scope. And you're better of with a lower base power variable I feel.
I managed a hare tonight so I'm happy
Screenshot_20190727-222347_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20190727-222347_Gallery.jpg (536.17 KiB) Viewed 5659 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 27 Jul 2019, 11:13 pm

Good night for it Pete...wish i was out there...
All the Mr foxes are well & truely flighty from being under the thumb this time of year, they all obliging to she who shall be obeyed...lol...

And 250m...Wow...!!
Thanks for the report... :thumbsup:

Thats a fair crack of distance i rekon...!!
I mean when im by myself & shooting from within a car, thats about the furthest i can make them out with a spotlight by eyes anyway (relatively flat to gentle sloping ground)...& the furthest ive ever shot one from within the car is 260 odd yards anyway...or 300 yds from roof of ute...but most are within 200 so it should be fine...!

So i want one but absolutely no way i can afford one...so can i borrow it...lol...
:drinks:

Where did you get it from...?...i did a quick google & saw them for $700 ish...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 27 Jul 2019, 11:19 pm

Bloody hell pete..just looked closer at that pic.. :shock:

..that looks like blue metal & pavers... :o ...which means its in someones yard... :?

Neighbours not home...?
Not their pet is it...?...lol
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 27 Jul 2019, 11:50 pm

Dad's house on his farm.
Got it off a hunting buy sell swap page on Facebook
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2019, 7:58 am

Whats the page called...or got a link...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 28 Jul 2019, 8:33 am

Hunting buy sell swap
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2019, 8:56 am

Ok cheers...A closed group eh...cant even have a look first...too good for the non bookfacers... :roll:

Gets me why people do that & not have it on the open internet... :unknown:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2019, 9:51 am

Stix wrote:Ok cheers...A closed group eh...cant even have a look first...too good for the non bookfacers... :roll:

They close groups because a huge number of social justice warriors spend their entire dole money on infiltrating any group even vaguely related to firearms, then berating Facebook with complaints until they shut the group down. Closing the group doesn't prevent them, but does tend to allow the group to last a little longer before it gets canned.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 28 Jul 2019, 11:16 am

bladeracer wrote:
Stix wrote:Ok cheers...A closed group eh...cant even have a look first...too good for the non bookfacers... :roll:

They close groups because a huge number of social justice warriors spend their entire dole money on infiltrating any group even vaguely related to firearms, then berating Facebook with complaints until they shut the group down. Closing the group doesn't prevent them, but does tend to allow the group to last a little longer before it gets canned.

Yep...
I see no value to any of that what so ever.
I thought it would be closed for reasons that are something to do with it being "guns"...
And that makes it utterly ridiculous & all should simply boycott it...!!
I cannot for the life of me understand why people would use a platform that treats you like that...
And this is exactly why we have the issues we have (in relation to gun laws).

If it were on the open net with reasonable policing, it would not be a problem---how long do the numb-nut'd warriors last on here...???
Maybe 2 or 3 posts at best if they are so extraverted in their behavior, maybe half dozen baiting ppsts before we gang rape them if they are slowly testing the waters.

This is exactly the type of behaviour being discussed last night on the 'USA thoughts of our gun laws' thread', that demonstrate how we inadvertantly bow to being ass-pummelled.

Now...can you or pete get me a cheap night vision thing on there before you begin your boycott... :lol:

Seriously, this is a prime example of how being in it to win it, actually causes us to loose...slowly...but all the same we loose...

I dont mean to derailthis into a gun laws bitching session, but i feel this NEEDS to be said...& ill do my part & keep out.
Now back to night vision...
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 30 Jul 2019, 8:45 pm

Screenshot_20190730-201457_Gallery.jpg
Pard nv007 works well.out past 100m
Screenshot_20190730-201457_Gallery.jpg (232.22 KiB) Viewed 5853 times
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 31 Jul 2019, 6:49 pm

I received my Thermal Monocular today. Night Tech 25.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXv2_38R8bM

For the price, I'm impressed. $1550 delivered.

I heated a coffee cup of water to 40 degrees, hopefully dropped to about 38, body temp of a bunny, by the time I got it outside. Could pick it up from about 120m away.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by xDom » 01 Aug 2019, 8:26 am

I took the Night tech out this morning to see how it faired in the field. Keeping in mind that I've had no exposure to any other thermal setups before.
From a distance of possibly 100m away I could see two small white blobs, their movements gave it away that I was looking at a pair of rabbits.
Later on I saw a larger animal disappear down the gully, I suspected it was a fox. I gave a few quick whistles and he climbed back out to see what was happening. Once again it's movements let me know it was a fox. By the time I put the thermal down and grabbed the rifle, he got wind of me and quickly pissed off.
This local area I go to is very frequently used by other shooters so anything there is notoriously flighty. I think that with the use of torches alone, I wouldn't have even known the critters were there.

I'm not going to say that this unit is in the league of any of the thermal scopes that have been mentioned before in this thread. I did a lot of research before making this purchase and I was reasonably confident of what I was getting.

I'd also say that this particular model could be described as being the entry level model in the "usable" range of thermal viewers, meaning any models with less performance than this wouldn't be of much use. On the whole, I'm happy with this purchase. I'm confident it's going to take a lot of the frustration and guess work out of my previous trips, stumbling along with my torches.
Combined with the Infra red attachment, I'm geared up for my next trip out the farm in September.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 01 Aug 2019, 9:45 am

It’s good u have lots of time to practice before the September hunt. All the settings and buttons take time to get familiar with and that practice can save u heaps in the field. Good luck
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 02 Aug 2019, 6:19 pm

bigpete wrote:

they say a picture is worth a thousand words Pete but how about a report mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
can you say that it compares to the utube vids ect... :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by xDom » 02 Aug 2019, 6:36 pm

marksman wrote:
bigpete wrote:

they say a picture is worth a thousand words Pete but how about a report mate :thumbsup: :drinks:
can you say that it compares to the utube vids ect... :thumbsup:

I’m gonna say yes.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 02 Aug 2019, 7:06 pm

cheers xDom :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 03 Aug 2019, 2:18 am

Yeah,it's a bloody good thing hey. Although I've learnt the hard way not to put the flat top batteries in the charger the wrong way.....
Can be a little finicky to get everything spot on and focussed properly when it's on the scope sometimes,but when it's sorted,you can see quite a distance. I've shot a fair heap of rabbits with it in a short time,and it's absolutely fine well past 100m with the on board IR torch.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 03 Aug 2019, 8:03 am

bigpete wrote:and it's absolutely fine well past 100m with the on board IR torch.

I've been leaving the IR add on torch at home lately, its just extra weight. I've learnt to click the onboard IR off and the leave the unit in standby until I'm preparing for a shot, saves heaps on the battery.

I spot a white blob with my thermal monocular and then ID and hopefully crack a shot off at it with the PARD. Great set up.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by marksman » 03 Aug 2019, 12:19 pm

I know what I want for xmas :lol: :drinks:
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by xDom » 05 Aug 2019, 6:28 pm

marksman wrote:I know what I want for xmas :lol: :drinks:

Hey MM, it's said that a parallax adjustment scope is needed for the Pard. I personally didn't find much difference with it.
If you don't have a PA, I'd try it with your current setup before buying anything else.
Just a tip.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Aug 2019, 8:35 pm

I don't know about that,I found an absolute s**t load of difference myself....
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by xDom » 10 Aug 2019, 7:22 am

Actually, I’m gonna retract my comment on not needing a parallax adjustment.
Went out early this morning, my fixed parallax 3-9 was blurry, no good at all.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Scopes, sights and optics