Australian Air Rifle Dealers — recommendations

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Australian Air Rifle Dealers — recommendations

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 5:26 pm

I'm aiming to buy an air rifle / airgun soon. I'm struck by the fact that there are few dedicated air rifle dealers in Australia, and prices are incredibly high compared to the US.

Most Australian firearm dealers have air rifles tacked on as an afterthought to their main range of powder burners, and the airguns they do offer are mostly break-barrel springers, not PCPs.

If you have an air rifle or if you are considering buying one, what is your opinion of the online offerings in Australia, the prices, the after sales service, etc?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Australian Air Rifle Dealers — recommendations

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 5:48 pm

ramshackle wrote:I'm aiming to buy an air rifle / airgun soon. I'm struck by the fact that there are few dedicated air rifle dealers in Australia, and prices are incredibly high compared to the US.

Most Australian firearm dealers have air rifles tacked on as an afterthought to their main range of powder burners, and the airguns they do offer are mostly break-barrel springers, not PCPs.

If you have an air rifle or if you are considering buying one, what is your opinion of the online offerings in Australia, the prices, the after sales service, etc?

Decide what you want and have your dealer order it. I don't think air-rifles are exclusively available to specific dealers.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 5:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:Decide what you want and have your dealer order it. I don't think air-rifles are exclusively available to specific dealers.

So is there a top online dealer I should use, or just my local gun shop, or look all over and compare prices, or ... ?
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 6:01 pm

ramshackle wrote:So is there a top online dealer I should use, or just my local gun shop, or look all over and compare prices, or ... ?

I'd probably look at RebelGunWorks, but then you're paying freight and interstate transfer. Talk to your local dealer once you know what you want, he shouldn't be far off the online prices once you include the extras.
Groups on Facebook and other forums would be the place to get the real-world view of various rifles so you can decide what you want.
What purpose do you intend for the rifle?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 6:06 pm

ramshackle wrote:I'm aiming to buy an air rifle / airgun soon. I'm struck by the fact that there are few dedicated air rifle dealers in Australia, and prices are incredibly high compared to the US.

Regarding prices, don't be thinking we're that badly off compared to the US. We earn double their minimum wage, we have free (from our taxes) healthcare, are not required to pay for health insurance, free (from our taxes) third-party motor vehicle accident insurance, and we're not required by law to have car insurance. Even if you're paying double what the US pays, you're still way in front.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 6:25 pm

bladeracer wrote:Talk to your local dealer once you know what you want, he shouldn't be far off the online prices once you include the extras. Groups on Facebook and other forums would be the place to get the real-world view of various rifles so you can decide what you want. What purpose do you intend for the rifle?

Good advice, thanks. I was looking at a site called Gunroom:
http://www.gunroom.com.au
They are down in Brisbane, I'm on the Sunshine Coast hills.

I want a .22 air rifle for pest control (rabbits).

Regarding prices, don't be thinking we're that badly off compared to the US. We earn double their minimum wage, we have free (from our taxes) healthcare, are not required to pay for health insurance, free (from our taxes) third-party motor vehicle accident insurance, and we're not required by law to have car insurance. Even if you're paying double what the US pays, you're still way in front.

That's a useful way of looking at it. Helps to accept the painfully high prices if you keep all that in mind. :thumbsup:
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 6:33 pm

ramshackle wrote:I want a .22 air rifle for pest control (rabbits).

Personally, for rabbits, I'd use a .22LR with CCI Quiet ammo, very quiet, plus the rifle and the ammo are probably significantly cheaper than a PCP air-rifle with top-tier pellets.
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 Jul 2019, 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 6:34 pm

bladeracer wrote:I'd probably look at ... RebelGunWorks

No good, no PCP airguns, all springers. Way behind the times.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 6:39 pm

bladeracer wrote:Personally, for rabbits, I'd use a .22LR with CCI Quiet ammo, very quiet, plus the rifle and the ammo are probably significantly cheap than a PCP air-rifle with top-tier pellets.

I looked into that extensively. .22LR Quiet is actually no good after about 40m maximum, loses accuracy badly from about 30m according to people who use it, whereas pellets can make quite tight groups to 80m and sometimes beyond (lots of Youtube evidence of this). Ordinary subsonic 22LR, which is much more accurate out further, makes a lot of noise and will alert my fussy neighbours, plus it's dangerous for hundreds of metres more than a PCP pellet gun.

Pellet guns can reliably kill rabbits.

I can get into PCP airguns for about $1300

Gun = $700-900
Pump - $60 on eBay
Scope = $300-400 from US
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 27 Jul 2019, 7:15 pm

I loved my .22 Weihrauch 97k for rabbits, it was fun and it still comes out once in a while for a quick plonk

As said eirler, work out what you want, then ring around for the best price.

I doubt you'd find a air gun specific dealer, they wouldn't sell enough to pay overheads.

I'd also agree with what Blade said before...
Further to that
I rarely use the air rifle now, it was a great novelty when I got it, I prefer the .22lr. It shoots further, flatter, hits harder, reloads faster, is nicer to shoot than a big Springer, is more consistent.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 27 Jul 2019, 7:33 pm

I think you are on the money with the Gun Room. All they do is air rifles, and they are absolute air rifle tragics. LOL. I doubt there is anything these fellas don't know about the topic, and will be able to guide you with your purchase. As you say, there is not a good market for them compared to normal firearms. The Gun Room has a good selection to look at, and we found them very helpful when trying to decide on a suitable purchase.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by hazza3006 » 27 Jul 2019, 8:20 pm

If your in QLD, go see Lewis in QLD gun exchange
He really knows his airguns, including servicing etc.
hazza3006
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jul 2019, 8:50 pm

ramshackle wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Personally, for rabbits, I'd use a .22LR with CCI Quiet ammo, very quiet, plus the rifle and the ammo are probably significantly cheap than a PCP air-rifle with top-tier pellets.

I looked into that extensively. .22LR Quiet is actually no good after about 40m maximum, loses accuracy badly from about 30m according to people who use it, whereas pellets can make quite tight groups to 80m and sometimes beyond (lots of Youtube evidence of this). Ordinary subsonic 22LR, which is much more accurate out further, makes a lot of noise and will alert my fussy neighbours, plus it's dangerous for hundreds of metres more than a PCP pellet gun.

Pellet guns can reliably kill rabbits.

I can get into PCP airguns for about $1300

Gun = $700-900
Pump - $60 on eBay
Scope = $300-400 from US

CCI Quiet can be reasonably accurate, but it depends on whether the specific rifle shoots it well. For me it gives rabbit head groups out to 50m, maybe a bit more. It is certainly accurate enough to take foxes at longer ranges. I tend to use CCI Std Velocity at 1080fps, which is still pretty quiet. Where are you shooting that you need to be queiter than that?

Is that a hand pump for $60? I think most people try hand pumping a PCP once, then lash out on compressors and tanks.

Can you actually buy the scopes out of the US? I guess air-rifle-specific scopes might be exempt from ITAR?
Last edited by bladeracer on 29 Jul 2019, 4:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by xcb » 27 Jul 2019, 9:09 pm

I'm surprised that a pump capable of the enormous pressure of PCP air rifles is available for $60.

This is not a recommendation as I have not bought from this place, I'm just letting you know about this list of their dealers:

http://ausarms.com.au/links/page.php?page_id=10
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by xcb » 27 Jul 2019, 9:37 pm

bladeracer wrote:Can you actually buy the scopes out of the US? I guess air-rifle-specific scopes might be exempt from ITAR?

I have imported this scope, it has a reputation for being able to handle the recoil of magnum springers, its working fine on a Walther LGU Master .177:
https://www.swfa.com/swfa-ss-16x42-tact ... l?___SID=U
http://www.opticstalk.com/swfa-ss-to-ca ... 42938.html
I like the scope for target shooting. Its too high a power for hunting in low light, which you can see in the specifications the exit pupil is only 2.6mm.
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Strikey » 27 Jul 2019, 9:41 pm

I see you said you are on the Sunshine Coast, if you want some good info on airguns of various types I suggest going to the Sunshine Coast SSAA range at North Arm, they have set up exclusively for air rifle shooting with a compressor and manifold system for filling. You will see a variety of airguns there and I'm sure they will let you shoot a few of them, would be worth your time before buying one if you are as yet undecided on brand or calibre :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 27 Jul 2019, 9:50 pm

@xcb: yes, I am planning to buy a 12x fixed SWFA SS scope, and if you look on eBay you will find the cheap pumps, and see them used on Youtube

@bladeracer: I am shooting on a 5 acre block, surrounded by trees, but even so I have to be extremely careful here (sound and trajectory). The law states that you can shoot on any size rural land, but it's up to you to make sure no harm eventuates. Of course to get the license, you must have permission to shoot on min. 40 acres (but even that is not set in stone). I may end up buying a CZ 455 or something, but the poor performance of the CCI Quiet and higher cost of bullets vs pellets is offputting.

@hazza, thanks for the QLD gun exchange tip! :)

@GQshayne, thanks for that recommendation. It's good to know that GunRoom are the real deal. :)

@on_one_wheel, I think you may be comparing a springer to a 22LR. The PCPs are a whole other thing.

@strikey, thanks yes I know the place. May well do that. :thumbsup:
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 27 Jul 2019, 10:02 pm

ramshackle wrote:@xcb: yes, I am planning to buy a 12x fixed SWFA SS scope, and if you look on eBay you will find the cheap pumps, and see them used on Youtube

@bladeracer: I am shooting on a 5 acre block, surrounded by trees, but even so I have to be extremely careful here (sound and trajectory). The law states that you can shoot on any size rural land, but it's up to you to make sure no harm eventuates. Of course to get the license, you must have permission to shoot on min. 40 acres (but even that is not set in stone). I may end up buying a CZ 455 or something, but the poor performance of the CCI Quiet and higher cost of bullets vs pellets is offputting.

@hazza, thanks for the QLD gun exchange tip! :)

@GQshayne, thanks for that recommendation. It's good to know that GunRoom are the real deal. :)

@on_one_wheel, I think you may be comparing a springer to a 22LR. The PCPs are a whole other thing.

@strikey, thanks yes I know the place. May well do that. :thumbsup:

Have a look at their calendar, I think the 1st Sunday of the month is air rifle day, some of Qld's most knowledgeable airgunners are at this club, tell 'em I sent ya there :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by rc42 » 27 Jul 2019, 10:40 pm

CCI Quiet should out perform any standard .22 air rifle, the lead bullet is 40 grains with a muzzle velocity of 700 fps and about 45 ft lbs, a typical .22 air rifle will be 12 ft lbs with a 15 grain pellet. The more powerful PCPs can also deliver a lot of power and would probably out perform the CCI Quiet but they are expensive guns and shot count on an air tank goes down fast as power goes up, also, if you're using a hand pump you'll end up with arms like Popeye.

https://www.cci-ammunition.com/products ... loadNo=960

Might be worth borrowing a .22 at a local range and doing some 50m target testing to check accuracy and grouping with CCI Quiet, they are about $8 for 50 which should be OK unless you are either over run with rabbits or a terrible shot.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ramshackle » 28 Jul 2019, 8:26 am

rc42 wrote:CCI Quiet should out perform any standard .22 air rifle, the lead bullet is 40 grains with a muzzle velocity of 700 fps and about 45 ft lbs, a typical .22 air rifle will be 12 ft lbs with a 15 grain pellet.

There is no question that the Quiet 22LR round has a much higher ballistic coefficient — it does. But it also droops more and/or becomes inconsistent after 30m. Here is a comment from a guy who should know, the Aussie Youtuber "Meathead Marksman":

I'm aware that my CZ455 Lux II is more capable then what I use it for, I just didn't buy it with the intention of 100m shooting, I bought it because it has a long barrel and that coupled with the super quiet "CCI Quiet 40gr LRN" ammo that I use in it makes it extremely quiet to use. Great for hunting/plinking on small acreage when you don't wanna bother the neighbors. The CCI Quiet only runs about 670fps and is too under powered and inconsistent for anything past about 30 to 40m, it's much much slower, quieter and less consistent then normal subsonic 22lr..... That is 100% why I have PCP airguns, especially the FX guns. They are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more accurate and consistent then any 22lr that is actually quiet enough without a silencer. The power wheel is basically a volume knob if you tune the gun properly. I almost never use my other guns anymore... the only thing I wanna play with is my FX Impact haha
Last edited by ramshackle on 28 Jul 2019, 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xcb » 28 Jul 2019, 10:10 am

I think the PCP would be great on a small acerage.

I had some opposite requirements to you with me choosing a springer: I like how the springer is difficult to shoot accurately, a PCP would be too easy, If I can somehow learn how to shoot the springer accurately then that should make it easier for me to shoot a .22LR accurately, or a centrefire if I can learn to deal with the recoil.

This is the video that convinced me to choose the SWFA SS 16x42 scope:

https://youtu.be/CYydF_Vo3cM

He explains how the fixed power scopes have less lenses so they let more light through. The 12X has a larger exit pupil so it will be better than the 16X in low light.

Its a great PCP hunting channel. I have a vague memory that on one of the videos he says he likes the Air Arms PCP rifles as they are made to be maintainable.

I don't know much about PCPs. I really like them. My impression is they would be cheap to shoot, since pellets are even cheaper than .22LR ammo. They seem expensive to get into though. I think it will cost about $500 to import the 12x fixed SWFA SS scope. A scope mount or scope rings would cost about $100.

I thought there was a concern that using a manual pump would introduce condensation which may be harmful to the rifle, however, I don't really know, you would need to research this.

To make the shots more consistent some PCP enthusiasts like to install regulators (another expense), you might want to check if a regulator is available for the rifle you are choosing in case you might want to fit one later:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjwHxZU1tsc
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ramshackle » 28 Jul 2019, 10:28 am

xcb wrote:If I can somehow learn how to shoot the springer accurately then that should make it easier for me to shoot a .22LR accurately, or a centrefire if I can learn to deal with the recoil.

I've owned numerous centrefire rifles and I am not looking to learn how to deal with recoil at this stage of my life, been there done that. I want QUIET and DISCREET and also ACCURATE. And preferably not dangerous, which 22LR is compared to 22 pellet.

This is the video that convinced me to choose the SWFA SS 16x42 scope: https://youtu.be/CYydF_Vo3cM

Yup I was sold on a SWFA by exactly the same video! Wow, how strange! :wtf:

I decided to go down to the 12x when I heard that many military snipers use a fixed 10x scope, and they shoot out to hundreds of metres. With 16x your field of view becomes very small. And as you say, more light with the 12x

Its a great PCP hunting channel. I have a vague memory that on one of the videos he says he likes the Air Arms PCP rifles as they are made to be maintainable.

Matt Dubber is virtually an employee of FX. I take a lot of what he says with a pinch of salt. :| Air Arms are very expensive

My impression is they would be cheap to shoot, since pellets are even cheaper than .22LR ammo.

Yes they are cheaper from a consumables POV.

I think it will cost about $500 to import the 12x fixed SWFA SS scope. A scope mount or scope rings would cost about $100.

US$300 + shipping + rings

I thought there was a concern that using a manual pump would introduce condensation which may be harmful to the rifle, however, I don't really know, you would need to research this.

AFAIK the pumps come with a little in-line filter, like a cigarette filter, that absorbs the water. https://youtu.be/LH88OLcwSMw

To make the shots more consistent some PCP enthusiasts like to install regulators (another expense)

Good PCP rifles come with regulators installed.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by xcb » 28 Jul 2019, 11:45 am

ramshackle wrote:
xcb wrote:I think it will cost about $500 to import the 12x fixed SWFA SS scope. A scope mount or scope rings would cost about $100.

It does not come with lens caps, so plus 15.95 if you want them, then shipping was $75.40 for one scope and the lens caps almost 2 years ago. So my estimate was a bit low, sorry, as the exchange rate is worse now. Saying an exchange rate of .66 (where every time I do a payment in foreign currency on paypal I have to change the settings to make the payment in the foreign currency to avoid the expensive paypal exchange rate, and my big 4 bank adds their high exchange fee) my estimate is 391.30 / 0.66 is approximately $593 (for the scope and lens caps),
xcb
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by ramshackle » 28 Jul 2019, 12:04 pm

xcb wrote:approximately $593 (for the scope and lens caps),

Major buzzkill, xcb! :cry:

Still, I have some USD in my PayPal account, so I'll find a way.

It's always more expensive than you think it will be. :thumbsdown:
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jul 2019, 1:58 pm

Of course things are cheaper in the U.S. our $$ only running around 69c and then we have all the other taxes to add onto shipping/import costs etc and no doubt a ****** of other hidden taxes we have to pay too.

If it was me I'd just buy from your local gun shop that way when something goes wrong you can take it back and have it delt with there without having to be stuffed around if you bought it interstate and the shipping etc that that would involve.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ramshackle » 28 Jul 2019, 2:02 pm

@bigfellascott, that is a definite consideration. I am very inclined to deal with gunshops here in the SE Qld area first and foremost.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 28 Jul 2019, 2:05 pm

ramshackle wrote:@bigfellascott, that is a definite consideration. I am very inclined to deal with gunshops here in the SE Qld area first and foremost.

Makes life a lot easier if you do have issues mate. I'd do as other have said and work out what you want to own and then get them to order it in. :drinks:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ramshackle » 28 Jul 2019, 4:12 pm

You know, I was enquiring at the GunRoom about the Umarex Gauntlet and the Turkish Kral range, both of which are out of stock at GunRoom but they have large consignments apparently sitting in Australia under Border Force control .... endlessly waiting for release from quarantine so they can be sold.

This endless wait for the rifles to be released is discouraging, and is pushing me away from air rifles.

The things that would push me to buy a 22LR rimfire are:

1. High prices for air rifles, often much higher than rimfires
  2. This waiting for imports to be released. Their delay in release seems almost spiteful
  3. The fact that a rimfire rifle can also use fast ammo that is accurate over a longer distance, not only the short-range CCI Quiet stuff. So if I wish, I can do more with the rimfire, which I cannot do with the pellet gun
  4. The fact that the rimfire is made by a well established, reputable company like CZ or Browning, for instance. It's a quality piece of kit that will last generations. Many PCP rifles are prone to numerous problems, even the expensive ones like FX (some dealers in the US won't even sell FX anymore because of the high return rate). PCPs are loaded with rubber O-rings that are prone to failure.
  5. The fact that I can get stainless steel rimfire rifles. No stainless in air rifles, and I live in an area where everything rusts like hell!
  6. The fact that you need all sorts of ancillary kit with the air rifle, like pumps. And then the hard grind of pumping it up.
Just playing devil's advocate here .... thinking aloud. Hope you don't mind :silent:

Before I decide to buy a rimfire though, I'm going to have to accept that I will be shooting at 40m max (because I have to use slow, "Quiet" ammo here). And be super-aware of my backstop.
ramshackle
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2019, 7:05 pm

My Dad bought a HW30 from the Gun Room after lots of good advice from them. Very nice rifle, no extra compressor costs etc either. Can't remember the price but with scope and mounts and some pellets I think it was about $900 all up.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Jul 2019, 7:32 pm

xcb wrote:
ramshackle wrote:
xcb wrote:I think it will cost about $500 to import the 12x fixed SWFA SS scope. A scope mount or scope rings would cost about $100.

It does not come with lens caps, so plus 15.95 if you want them, then shipping was $75.40 for one scope and the lens caps almost 2 years ago. So my estimate was a bit low, sorry, as the exchange rate is worse now. Saying an exchange rate of .66 (where every time I do a payment in foreign currency on paypal I have to change the settings to make the payment in the foreign currency to avoid the expensive paypal exchange rate, and my big 4 bank adds their high exchange fee) my estimate is 391.30 / 0.66 is approximately $593 (for the scope and lens caps),

When you say two years ago, was it before April 2017, when ITAR screwed up US exports?
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles