Armed security guards

Semi automatic and single shot handguns, revolvers and other pistols

Re: Armed security guards

Post by on_one_wheel » 01 Aug 2019, 9:27 pm

Every time the Armed security guards thread pops up I think of this guy on Bourke Street.

Remember him? :lol:
images (9).jpeg
images (9).jpeg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 9281 times
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by straightshooter » 02 Aug 2019, 7:44 am

I don't know if this thread make me want to laugh or cry!
I can still visualise our then Premier Bob Carr in the late 90's mustering up all the gravitas he possessed to tell us that the ownership of firearms was a privilege and they may not be used for the protection of person or property.
What's good for the gander does not seem to apply to the goose.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by pignmud » 18 Oct 2019, 6:33 pm

Wasn’t that long ago WA police were still carrying revolvers when autos were readily available (think about 15 years ago)

I would have thought main reason is jams.

My glock 17 jammed many times over years I used it. In life of death situations think id trust a revolver more.

That said my beretta has never jammed once’s out of few thousand rounds but that’s in conditions and no chance of ‘limp wrist’ causing jam
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2019, 7:21 pm

pignmud wrote:Wasn’t that long ago WA police were still carrying revolvers when autos were readily available (think about 15 years ago)

My glock 17 jammed many times over years I used it. In life of death situations think id trust a revolver more.

That said my beretta has never jammed once’s out of few thousand rounds but that’s in conditions and no chance of ‘limp wrist’ causing jam

I think WA Police carried the Browning 1910 when I was a kid.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sarco » 18 Oct 2019, 8:08 pm

These days, at least in Vic, I would have said that security pers under threat would be better off to shoot and deal with the after affects that to take the chance on peacefully surrendering with the vicious alcohol and drug affected phsycos we have on the streets.

They would just as likely to be eliminated as let go. Even if the offenders are caught they would be deemed "naughty little boys" and slapped on the wrist with a wet tram ticket (if we still had them).
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by pignmud » 18 Oct 2019, 8:35 pm

bladeracer wrote:
pignmud wrote:Wasn’t that long ago WA police were still carrying revolvers when autos were readily available (think about 15 years ago)

When I was a kid in WA (45 years ago) I never saw any police with guns. Think they had them but just never carried them. Was something serious if you even saw police with handcuffs on their belt.
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by pignmud » 18 Oct 2019, 8:38 pm

and I still remember when WA police got the approval for a second squad car so to patrol at night so they had one car North of river and one South at all times bahaha

Could leave you keys in the car in those days..
pignmud
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 18 Oct 2019, 9:04 pm

pignmud wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

When I was a kid in WA (45 years ago) I never saw any police with guns. Think they had them but just never carried them. Was something serious if you even saw police with handcuffs on their belt.

I'm talking 1980 when I moved to Perth from South Hedland, I don't think I saw Police up north armed, though they probably were. Two 79 Div detectives that came when I was attacked with a knife in 1990 both had S&W revolvers, probably Model 19 2-1/2" - I was blinded with my own blood so I didn't get a real close look.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jt-2019 » 04 Feb 2020, 6:27 pm

Deffenatly cowboys :lol:
Jt-2019
Private
Private

-

Post by Diamond Jim » 05 Feb 2020, 1:48 am

I shoot IPSC using alternatively a semi-auto and a revolver. I almost never shoot single-action with my double action revolver. Maybe extreme range shots when I am prepared to sacrifice time for accuracy.
I've never faced a life or death situation with a firearm and likely never will.That said, DA seems plenty accurate enough for any SHTF situation. Putting two rounds an inch or two apart at 5-15m as fast as you can pull the trigger should deter any miscreant.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Chinballs » 15 Feb 2020, 11:34 am

Diamond Jim wrote:That said, DA seems plenty accurate enough for any SHTF situation. Putting two rounds an inch or two apart at 5-15m as fast as you can pull the trigger should deter any miscreant.

Hahahaha. If you think a security guard who shoots once a year could put two shots an inch apart at point blank range even in a situation with no pressure you would be disappointed. No way the overwhelming majority of guards can do the same at anywhere near 15m shooting double action especially once you add in the stress of a situation that has lead to them having to fire their weapons.
Chinballs
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 17 Feb 2020, 11:53 pm

Would come down to cost as the reason why. The cargo is always insured so nobody really cares. The gun may as well be a plastic cap gun as a visual deterrent because when is the last time a security guard had to fire a round whilst on the job(excluding training)?
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by FNQ » 19 Feb 2020, 9:21 pm

I’ve witnessed a few hold ups (all overseas) even had the misfortune of being in a couple.

What I’ve learnt is Securtiy rarely have the opportunity to get their weapons out of their holsters let alone fire a round. Most are all over within a few minutes tops leaving most people looking around saying “what the fark just happened!”

The whole idea of security (Armed or not) is no more then a deterrent.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by StraightWhiteMale » 20 Feb 2020, 1:55 am

FNQ wrote:I’ve witnessed a few hold ups (all overseas) even had the misfortune of being in a couple.

What I’ve learnt is Securtiy rarely have the opportunity to get their weapons out of their holsters let alone fire a round. Most are all over within a few minutes tops leaving most people looking around saying “what the fark just happened!”

The whole idea of security (Armed or not) is no more then a deterrent.

Spot on mate. My mum worked at comm bank in the mid 90s and got a pump action shotgun in her face and the so called security did nothing. Criminals this brazen are in and out in a flash.
StraightWhiteMale
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Diamond Jim » 27 Feb 2020, 8:05 pm

One point, a failure to fire in a semi-auto means clearing the round and that takes seconds - longer if you don't shoot regularly and practice clearance drills. With a revolver you just pull the trigger again and move to the next round.
Listing your firearms is as good as a fingerprint.
Diamond Jim
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ricochet » 28 Feb 2020, 8:29 am

I am a security guard but not an armed guard.
From what I have heard from other guards the semi auto pistol vs revolver thing depends on the company you work for and what you get trained on. If the company you work for uses revolvers only and are paying for your training then you probably only get certified on a revolver and then can only use a revolver. It's like and like getting your driver's licence in in an automatic car, at least at first you can only drive auto.
If you get trained only with a semi auto then that's what you use.

If you get trained in both you can use either but it depends on what your employer supplies.

It may be a factor in semi auto vs revolver that single action is more accurate than double and also a mag capacity issue with potential casualties if a guard panics and empties a firearm butI don't think so. When trained for normal guarding we get it hammered into us about the legal hell the use of excessive force opens up. I can only assume that and armed guarding has got to include a session or two about the risks involved in discharging a weapon. At the end of the day I don't think the powers that be are too worried about someone emptying a mag as there is a hell of a lot of paperwork if draw the thing in the first Place, and guards are well informed they will be under more scrutiny and probably won't get the same backing police do in the same or similar circumstances.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Boo » 04 Apr 2020, 9:08 am

A revolver has one big advantage, pull the trigger and it goes bang. No time wasting racking a pistol's slide, that's if you remember to do that while under pressure. I'm thinking of getting a 22 revolver when all the drama is over, just to see if I can get to hit something with it.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2020, 12:52 pm

Boo wrote:A revolver has one big advantage, pull the trigger and it goes bang. No time wasting racking a pistol's slide, that's if you remember to do that while under pressure. I'm thinking of getting a 22 revolver when all the drama is over, just to see if I can get to hit something with it.

If you have to rack the slide you screwed up. A sidearm is no good to you without a round chambered.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Apr 2020, 12:59 pm

I agree blade. Be prepared ,have excellent equipment, be strict with safety , be switched on , live to a ripe old age
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Boo » 04 Apr 2020, 7:46 pm

Some consider a racked pistol to be unsafe, a revolver does not have that issue. To each his own I guess.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 04 Apr 2020, 8:15 pm

Boo wrote:Some consider a racked pistol to be unsafe, a revolver does not have that issue. To each his own I guess.

I doubt anybody that is familiar with handguns would consider a cocked and locked auto to be unsafe.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Boo » 05 Apr 2020, 9:50 am

Diamond Jim wrote:One point, a failure to fire in a semi-auto means clearing the round and that takes seconds - longer if you don't shoot regularly and practice clearance drills. With a revolver you just pull the trigger again and move to the next round.

That's another point, it seems like fashion comes in it a bit too, revolvers are apparently thought to be old fashioned. If I could shoot a revolver OK then where protection is involved a wheel gun would be my choice.
Boo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 05 Apr 2020, 1:05 pm

Interesting discussion as always regarding revolver vs auto, with many diverse opinions. In practical terms though, ie: real world situations and use, everyone who works with a firearm is moving to striker fired semi-auto because in a combat/life protection events the semi has proven itself to be the superior platform. Everyone who has survived several shooting events and trains others chooses to carry a semi, mostly in 9mm. I shoot both revolver and semi in a competition setting and after many years and 10's of 1000's of rounds cannot determine one type to be more reliable, or accurate, than another. The exception to that is long range deliberate fire, for which the single action function of a revolver works best, but no-one uses single action in a defensive shooting, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 05 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm

I had both types years ago ....don’t have cat h licence now. I think pistols have become more reliable. I can trust a revolver 100 per cent. And a pistol 99.9 per cent ...... I think there’s a lot of romance attached to the choice of a pistol over a revolver
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SAnewb85 » 12 May 2020, 5:41 am

Lot of opinions in this thread about H6 training for armed security. My experience was-
I was an armed guard here in Adelaide for a couple years when the "gang of 49" silliness was happening.
Lots of armed robberies in pokies venues.

I can confirm that 95% of the training we received related to the legal justification of drawing and heaven forbid actually firing your side arm.
The other 5% was spent banging rounds down range. Over the course of 3-4 days I think I fired something like 800 rounds from a semi and a revolver at varying distances, low light, draw and fire scenarios and timed multiple targets.

Lucky for me I took advantage of the opportunity to claim range time/ammo on tax and was practising weekly.
Most of the other lads I worked with did the bare minimum to get and maintain their H6.
Im definitely glad that I worked on my own as I didnt trust any of the "bare minimum" types to safely have my back if the sh!t hit the fan.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Ricochet » 27 Aug 2020, 12:31 pm

Thanks SAnewb85.
I had guessed there would be sessions on the legal ramifications of even just drawing a gun, let alone pulling the trigger.

Another thing to point out is a lot of modern pistols are double action, so having a round chambered in one of those has little to no difference to having a revolver with it's cylinder loaded. In some cases safer as some of these pistols don't have an exposed hammer to get snagged on something and accidentally cocked but you also get a bit more of a visual indicator of if it's loaded and if the hammer is down or at the half cocked stage of the pull.
Ricochet
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 27 Aug 2020, 5:51 pm

I think that you will find the pistol is more of a fashion accessory than something they're intended to use. Having it is a deterrent and a means of passively suppressing/intimidating any would be criminals. If they're anything like the police, then they would be close to completely useless with the pistol outside of a few meters anyway, yet to see a cop (besides ones that actively compete) that can actually shoot, If I were ever in an area where police were going to fire on a suspect I would be diving for the densest cover I can find lest I be accidentally shot by said officer. same goes for security guards.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by SAnewb85 » 27 Aug 2020, 6:06 pm

Ziege wrote:I think that you will find the pistol is more of a fashion accessory than something they're intended to use. Having it is a deterrent and a means of passively suppressing/intimidating any would be criminals. If they're anything like the police, then they would be close to completely useless with the pistol outside of a few meters anyway, yet to see a cop (besides ones that actively compete) that can actually shoot, If I were ever in an area where police were going to fire on a suspect I would be diving for the densest cover I can find lest I be accidentally shot by said officer. same goes for security guards.

To call a cop/security guards handgun a "fashion accessory" is being deliberately absurd.

Granted, they definitely have a deterrent/intimidation factor and for the most part the crooks tend to choose a softer target, BUT anyone who carries one for work should actually have the b*lls to use it if necessary.

As an aside, I wish that Australia had open or concealed carry.
Make people who want to carry do the security guard equivalent course and away you go.
Price it so that its a decent investment for the citizen to weed out the idiots who want to play "operator" and be done.

When the shtf and seconds count, cops are minutes away....... i believe in that statement to my very core.
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Bugman » 27 Aug 2020, 6:35 pm

Interesting that the talk about revolvers and semi auto handguns was brought up. I just saw security vision on the channel 7 news of an assassination attempt on
some fellow in Sydney, and the gunman jumped out of a rear door of a car, took aim one handed, fired off quite a few shots and apparently just wounded the victim who then ran off. Anyone who uses handguns knows that two hands will result in more accuracy. Me thinks the idiot with the gun has been watching too many "gun toting legends" in the Hollywood movie world.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Ziege » 27 Aug 2020, 6:52 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:When the shtf and seconds count, cops are minutes away....... i believe in that statement to my very core.

minutes away? when has this ever been the case? more like a few hours and maccas and 7-11 stops away
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Pistols - Semi-automatic handguns and revolvers