Forget the rest, Now view the best

Equipment and accessories for shooting. Safes, firearm storage, bipods, carry cases, slings etc.

Forget the rest, Now view the best

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jul 2019, 11:45 pm

100_5302.JPG
100_5302.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5303.JPG
100_5303.JPG (1.11 MiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5304.JPG
100_5304.JPG (1.02 MiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5307.JPG
100_5307.JPG (528.51 KiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5308.JPG
100_5308.JPG (762.41 KiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5310.JPG
100_5310.JPG (759.51 KiB) Viewed 13681 times
100_5311.JPG
100_5311.JPG (665.34 KiB) Viewed 13681 times
Well I've been busy for quite a few weeks,,,, so many jobs that need doing including jobs that other people want done.
But in between and whenever I could sneak some time, I built this contraption that I have now named "The Taj Mahal"

When I was asked to attend a property to shoot feral dogs and pigs, I started spending nights out there with the thermal scope.
There were a lot of pigs, and lots of feral dogs heard.
I saw several of them, (dogs) but for one reason or another was never able to take the shot.

The biggest problem I found was that I was using a very heavy rifle, and trying to scan the area every 5 or 10 minutes through the thermal scope was killing my shoulders.
Adding to my frustrations, when I did get a dog lit up, more often than not it was at a really awkward angle, and not able to have a steady aim, so shots were passed up in the hope that next time would be different.

Hence,,,,,,,,,,,, a solution started to appear in my head.
After thinking a lot, and many many sketches,,,,,,,, I started building.

The end result is a rotating platform that slides into the back of my ute,,,, complete with seats, bench rests, rifle holders, and (yet to be finished) storage cavities for ammo, gloves, tucker etc.
To make the bench rest,,,, I utilized a plastic pallet, and the fork slot/s will make great glove compartments.
Very strong and very light,, and I simply lay a thin fabric cushion on top.

The most important thing is that it is all driven in either direction electrically,, so while having a perfect rest (which is height adjustable) I can scan left or right without even having to physically lift the rifle.
I have twin rifle holders, and use two different rifles, that are each set up with night vision gear,,, and it is quick and easy to make a choice of which one is best suited for whatever the target may be.

I have power outlets that can plug straight in to the thermal scopes or battery packs to keep everything fully charged.

I have ready to install tomorrow,,,, a shielded 12 volt red light to help me find stuff if and when needed.

The seats are fully adjustable,,,, and bench height has 15" of adjustment up or down which is more than adequate for whatever terrain I park in.

When going solitary, I can unbolt the other seat, and mount a mini kitchen in its place, so I don't even have to get down for a meal.

The paint job was done using specially mixed WW 2 Willeys Jeep flat green, that was mixed for me by a local firearms and paint dealer.

When parked, I just throw a camo net over the ute cabin, so it all blends in well with the surroundings.

The property owner tells me the dogs have gone a bit quiet at the moment,,, so I guess I'll fill in my time by just shooting pigs, foxes and feral cats.
Last edited by Die Judicii on 18 Jul 2019, 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Forget the rest, Now view the best

Post by wanneroo » 18 Jul 2019, 12:12 am

Smart man. Nice job on that. How loud is the electric motor that spins you around?
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2019, 12:48 am

wanneroo wrote:Smart man. Nice job on that. How loud is the electric motor that spins you around?

It made a slight whirring sound originally, but now after a simple modification it is silent. :thumbsup:
Oh,,,, and it doesn't exactly "spin you around"
It is variable, and can be as low as 3/4 rpm.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Jul 2019, 4:55 am

Mate, that’s one of the smartest, well engineered and thought out inventions I’ve seen. In a bigger market like the USA you’d probably register the patent and make $$$$ ! Anyone can add a few accessories to a Polaris or quad and call it hunting specific, but you’ve designed a complete unit for purposes. I’d seriously look into registering the idea and design if it hasn’t been done already. Well done!
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 Jul 2019, 5:47 am

Oh yeah !

That's awsome, well done.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by wanneroo » 18 Jul 2019, 6:14 am

Die Judicii wrote:
wanneroo wrote:Smart man. Nice job on that. How loud is the electric motor that spins you around?

It made a slight whirring sound originally, but now after a simple modification it is silent. :thumbsup:
Oh,,,, and it doesn't exactly "spin you around"
It is variable, and can be as low as 3/4 rpm.

Cool. If you are doing that much hunting then that's the kind of set up you need. Looks really good. Those feral cats, foxes and pigs don't know what's coming.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jul 2019, 9:22 am

Nice one Ed, I thought about doing the same thing many years ago but just didn't have a great need for it TBH, I also like the comfort of the warm cab when out spotlighting in Winter these days.

Well done mate, enjoy the new invention and convenience it will bring. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jul 2019, 10:08 am

Nice and tidy unit mate and good colour scheme looks comfy as well nice job mate now to christen it
Member-Deleted

Post by marksman » 18 Jul 2019, 11:17 am

ingenious work :thumbsup: :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by xDom » 18 Jul 2019, 11:46 am

Stunning work.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jul 2019, 12:12 pm

Dear sir, I would like to communicate with you via the dark web (RE you potentially putting remote controls on this vehicle, zoom cameras with rifle extension arms, modems and other robotic controls and devices including belt fead mags)...but not on a public forum. Please enter Ip 6.205426.3566.552. thsnks heaps signed The Jackyl - lolz.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Wm.Traynor » 18 Jul 2019, 1:46 pm

What a great piece of work :D :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 18 Jul 2019, 2:03 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Dear sir, I would like to communicate with you via the dark web (RE you potentially putting remote controls on this vehicle, zoom cameras with rifle extension arms, modems and other robotic controls and devices including belt fead mags)...but not on a public forum. Please enter Ip 6.205426.3566.552. thsnks heaps signed The Jackyl - lolz.

WTF ? Are you some sort of secret agent taz ? :lol:

Ya better not work with agent 86 for control :P
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 18 Jul 2019, 3:04 pm

Really, well done.

Have you tried sweeping the area with a spot, fitted with a red filter for ferals, might save using the NV. :o

PS. needs coffee cup holders... :lol:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jul 2019, 5:29 pm

bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Dear sir, I would like to communicate with you via the dark web (RE you potentially putting remote controls on this vehicle, zoom cameras with rifle extension arms, modems and other robotic controls and devices including belt fead mags)...but not on a public forum. Please enter Ip 6.205426.3566.552. thsnks heaps signed The Jackyl - lolz.

You need to watch the movie the jackal - he sorts out some van like the op, has a remote controlled gattling gun and target cam and operates it from miles away....anyway, if i have to explain it, its not funny...although...that bits is. lol.
Agent 86 could do very bad things to me if she wanted too !
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by bigrich » 18 Jul 2019, 5:53 pm

TassieTiger wrote:
bigrich wrote:

You need to watch the movie the jackal - he sorts out some van like the op, has a remote controlled gattling gun and target cam and operates it from miles away....anyway, if i have to explain it, its not funny...although...that bits is. lol.

actually, i do remember that now, good movie

but , actually , 86 is get smart . his female companion agent is 99 . :oops: don't worry taz , if that's your thing i think the sydney mardi gras isn't too far away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zis is kaos , and vee don't do THAT here :P

sorry mate , i couldn't help myself

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 18 Jul 2019, 6:52 pm

Necessity is the mother of invention.
Nice engineering mate :thumbsup:
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2019, 6:59 pm

RoginaJack wrote:Really, well done.

Have you tried sweeping the area with a spot, fitted with a red filter for ferals, might save using the NV. :o

PS. needs coffee cup holders... :lol:

Yeah Mate, the only light I'll be using is the shielded red light that will be mounted inside the bench itself,, (that only lights up my lap) for reloading magazines and the like.
I don't use any light at all when scanning or shooting.
The whole idea behind this was so I can scan and shoot, without having to lift a rifle.
The power outlets keep everything fully charged
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

And coffee cup holders are with the thermos and tucker in the mini kitchen box that will be mounted in place of the 2nd seat. 8-)
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2019, 7:02 pm

Yeah Hi fellas,,,,,,,,,,
Thanks one and all for your comments and thoughts, which is always encouraging when sometimes you doubt yourself.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Stix » 18 Jul 2019, 7:34 pm

Sheesh...lota work in that...well done... :thumbsup:

And with a setup like that...have you considered the OHS regs.?..for example, a change area for the waitress, & body oils/lubricant storage for the masseuse...?
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by JSS » 18 Jul 2019, 7:44 pm

That's an awesome bit of kit mate, very very impressive!! Have you thought about one of those 12v car seat cover/warmers to keep you toasty on those cold nights?
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jul 2019, 8:56 pm

I’m glad this setup got posted. After two hunting trips I got jack of scanning with my thermal riflescope so I bought a pair of thermal binos. I use them day and night both walking and while slowly putting along the tracks on the quad .......I’m going to try something new on my next trip at the end of next week .... far from the comfort of the house that I stay on while on the property I’m going to set up some fermented corn in the middle of an old cultivation paddock ... it’s bounded by thick scrub on three sides and the scrub is thick with pigs .....it’s so thick that it’s hell hunting in there so my plan is to draw them out in the open with the grain in the middle of the night .....I have bought a special purposeful semi reclining chair to sit in inside a sleeping bag about 300 from the bait. My plan was to scan every two minutes and as I start falling asleep make sure I have alarms set every 15 minutes to wake me so I can scan every time .... this thread has got me thinking what I can do to improve my setup and my chances So I reckon I’ll get cracking on a chair frame mounted overhead adjustable bino harness that always sits right in front of me as I lay comfortably in my chair. And I want to be able to flip it up out of the way to so I can get up when I have to With this setup I should be able to just open my eyes and look. With no arm movements or effort ......100 per cent 20th century laziness! But I’m sure the pigs will show up and then I will have to drag myself out of my chair ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 18 Jul 2019, 9:55 pm

bigrich wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:
bigrich wrote:

actually, i do remember that now, good movie

but , actually , 86 is get smart . his female companion agent is 99 . :oops: don't worry taz , if that's your thing i think the sydney mardi gras isn't too far away :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

zis is kaos , and vee don't do THAT here :P

sorry mate , i couldn't help myself

:drinks: :drinks: :thumbsup:

You know I was thinking when I typed that - hang in lol...I can still recall that episode when they infiltrated that bikie gang and 99 was teased in tight black latex to look like leather...I must have been 17 at the time lol.

Back to the op - nice work! It’s kind of a brilliant platform that you’ll probably never stop doing little things too - here and there...cup holder here, esky there, torch mount here, charge mount there, rocket launcher here, grenade catapult there....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Member-Deleted » 18 Jul 2019, 10:26 pm

maaaaaaate...
Attachments
we're not worthy.png
we're not worthy.png (194.47 KiB) Viewed 12975 times
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Jul 2019, 10:53 pm

Blr243 wrote: .....I have bought a special purposeful semi reclining chair to sit in inside a sleeping bag about 300 from the bait. My plan was to scan every two minutes and as I start falling asleep ...

:lol: :lol: You'll be right mate,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, It's just a matter of figuring which bait is which.

If you fall asleep in your recliner chair the piggies love fresh meat.

And,,,,, if your a heavy sleeper there won't be much of you left when the sun rises.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 03 Aug 2019, 9:31 pm

Well I have decided to add a touch of class to the shooting platform (Taj Mahal)

This morning I managed to pick up an as new ISRI bench seat for an unbelievably cheap price.

I'm going to get rid of the deep sided black bucket seats (they are too restrictive for movement) and put the ISRI seat in.
Being fabric it will be easy to slide and twist a bit in silence. The black buckets squeak when clothing rubs on em.

The ISRI also has a built in cup holder and snacks table. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

No pics yet, but will post some soon.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by JSS » 04 Aug 2019, 12:55 pm

You had me at cup holder and snacks table!! :drinks:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tank » 04 Aug 2019, 10:55 pm

Add a couple DShK’s to complete the ISIS technical look!!
Haha!
Happy hunting!
Regs,
Tank.
Keep calm......and hold centre of mass.
Tank
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 05 Aug 2019, 1:18 pm

Tank wrote:Add a couple DShK’s to complete the ISIS technical look!!
Haha!
Happy hunting!
Regs,
Tank.

?? I'm not up to speed on that one mate,,, "Please explain" ?
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by trekin » 06 Aug 2019, 3:11 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Tank wrote:Add a couple DShK’s to complete the ISIS technical look!!
Haha!
Happy hunting!
Regs,
Tank.

?? I'm not up to speed on that one mate,,, "Please explain" ?

Think Tank might have ment "tactical look".
dshk.JPG
dshk.JPG (44.42 KiB) Viewed 12863 times
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Shooting accessories and equipment