Red Dot sights on Win Mod 94 30/30 top eject

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Red Dot sights on Win Mod 94 30/30 top eject

Post by auriga3 » 10 Aug 2019, 3:06 pm

I am thinking of mounting a Red Dot sight & Pearsontacrail on a Win Mod 94 30/30 top eject,to use on pigs at around 100 yds range at.I am told that these sights are like vegemite you either hate them or love them.i would be grateful for any advice & comments on the topic.Can you use a boresighter to align them before the range?can you sight them in using the system of moving the cross hairs to the bullet entry hole?Finally what type of red dot sight ie reflex etc.Thank you
auriga3
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Red Dot sights on Win Mod 94 30/30 top eject

Post by Blr243 » 10 Aug 2019, 4:25 pm

All I can say is leave them on when hunting and carry spare batts. It’s a lot of wishful thinking to think u are going to have time to turn on the battery
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 10 Aug 2019, 5:52 pm

auriga3 wrote:I am thinking of mounting a Red Dot sight & Pearsontacrail on a Win Mod 94 30/30 top eject,to use on pigs at around 100 yds range at.I am told that these sights are like vegemite you either hate them or love them.i would be grateful for any advice & comments on the topic.Can you use a boresighter to align them before the range?can you sight them in using the system of moving the cross hairs to the bullet entry hole?Finally what type of red dot sight ie reflex etc.Thank you

I have red dot and reflex sights, and I hugely prefer the reflex, more compact, lighter, with a finer reticle. My red dot has a 4MoA dot that covers a four-inch circle at 100 yards.
You can zero them exactly as you would a scope, fire a shot and adjust windage and elevation to put the reticle over the bullet hole.
I have a '94 top-eject in .30-30, and I've got the Williams side-mount setup for scoping it for load development, but I think for hunting I'd prefer the OEM sights, or the peep sight I have on mine rather than a scope.

I would suggest you buy the cheap Chinese reflex and/or red dot on Ebay and see if you can actually work with it, I don't like either myself. If you mount it on a QD rail you can carry it in a pocket when you don't need it, then pop it on as required. You can also mount a three-power flip-out magnifier with it to give you some zoom as required.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Aug 2019, 7:25 pm

"I would suggest you buy the cheap Chinese reflex and/or red dot on Ebay and see if you can actually work with it,"

Thats what i did, but dont be suprised if it doesnt last.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 11 Aug 2019, 2:54 am

I second Bladeracers comments. Yes you adjust like a scope, you can also boresight them. I used to like red dots but its worth giving them a test to see if they are your cup of tea. most people can use them fine, however my right eyesight is getting a pretty bad astigmatism these days the dot is now a large L shaped slash :D and also I can't do very well without magnification and decent glass these days. I am upgrading a couple of red dots to scout style scopes as a result. Btw if you want a cheap Jap stamped red dot let me know, I have one that is basically unused. The brand is Crown, I think its an aimpoint clone?
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Scopes, sights and optics