How many rounds to sight in?

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Re: How many rounds to sight in?

Post by Bill » 04 Jul 2019, 3:56 pm

4 rounds, 1 to see how far off I am.

Adjust the scope, shoot a 3 shot group to confirm
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 04 Jul 2019, 4:30 pm

a thing I always do as well is reconfirm zero on another day at 200yd min
I always do my zeroing or checking when there is no wind usually between 7-9am
I like to load test between these times as well, by 9.30am the cocky has a coffee ready for me and a yarn :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Jul 2019, 9:29 pm

But don’t you find days where you just don’t seem to shoot well - and the results are just not as good as you know they should be...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by xDom » 05 Jul 2019, 8:03 pm

I would understand a cheaper scope not having the optical clarity of a top notch one.
Would you think that a cheap scope would lose its cross hair position?
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 05 Jul 2019, 8:04 pm

40 -50. It’s much more fun that way. Don’t count clicks. Just give it a few turns , a good crank and then fire another box or two. Then readjust by cranking as necessary. You will have a better time doing it this way. 2 shots pfft . Who enjoys doing this . All over in minutes. That’s not what shooting is about.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 05 Jul 2019, 8:47 pm

xDom wrote:I would understand a cheaper scope not having the optical clarity of a top notch one.
Would you think that a cheap scope would lose its cross hair position?

In the old days it could happen, nowadays even the cheapest scopes can usual maintain zero. I think generally the scope turrets rest on springs. The adjusters simply screw the reticle downward to compress the spring, turn them out and the spring pushes the reticle up again. It's pretty simple. I have a Chinese scope where the reticle has rotated a few degrees out of verticle. It still holds zero though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 06 Jul 2019, 1:21 am

xDom wrote:Putting a new scope on any particular rifle, how many rounds would you expect it take to sight in?

G'day xDom.
9-15 for me if i shoot in lots of 3...

After bore sighting, 2 shots at 25 yds (only need one shot here, but i shoot 2 because its not often i get the opportunity to fire 2 shots in the same hole... :lol: ...also, if a centrefire & these 2 shots arent touching or are an odd distance apart, can be a good immediate indication something is not set up right--somethings loose/faulty scope/action not in stock correctly etc)...
So first 2 shots, then adjust scope, followed by 1 more at 25 to check i moved the turrets the right amount & direction.

Then out 100 (or 2 at 50 then out to 100)...2 (or 3 shots if one is real bad), adjust scope, let barrel cool & shoot to check.

Its a good idea to check it at 200...if the rifle shoots .7"s @100, the centre of a 3 shot group could easy be half inch away from what you think, which means thats one inch out at 200...so if you're going out to head shoot bunnies, adding field conditions to the scenario could mean lots of missed or injured bunnies out beyond 200.

Cant say how many times i swear a rifle is bang on, only to check it at 200 in good conditions & find im 1-2 clicks off... :thumbsup:

I like to do it off of heavy bags & let the rifle recoil as it would how you will normally be shooting it.
I find if you strap the rifle down to zero it, when you shoot it normally you'll likely end up with a different point of impact & have to adjust it again.

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by solarpak » 09 Jul 2019, 2:05 pm

Use as many as you need - provided you know what your doing - and get it on paper at 25m first - then out to 100.
Its amazing how many newbies you see who havent got one iota of an idea of how a riflescope works ie turrets .....plenty of information on the net and in printed media....no need to be ignorant and look stupid.....
CK
solarpak
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by xDom » 09 Jul 2019, 3:50 pm

solarpak wrote:.no need to be ignorant and look stupid.....
CK

Nope, wouldn't want that..
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 09 Jul 2019, 3:53 pm

:lol: :clap:
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Jul 2019, 9:02 am

solarpak wrote:Use as many as you need - provided you know what your doing - and get it on paper at 25m first - then out to 100.
Its amazing how many newbies you see who havent got one iota of an idea of how a riflescope works ie turrets .....plenty of information on the net and in printed media....no need to be ignorant and look stupid.....
CK

Be ignorant & look stupid... :lol:
Wow...!
Being new to shooting & setting up a scope/getting sighted in can be intimidating...especially if on a range for the first time with all those "officials" over your shoulder, & no matter how much youve studied the subject on the net.

I think some people forget, or have no idea how intimidating it can be for some people.

How many people have never returned to a club/range because officials make newbees feel stupid...??!!

Hahaha...

Cant say how many times ive seen club officials self professed experts, or firearm instructor's guide newbees in sighting a rifle, when they CLEARLY have no idea themselves...

I remember (relatively recently) seeing an official firearms instructor nurturing a newbee adult shooter to sight their rifle...
The rifle was couple inches off at 50m..they were having problems working out how many clicks to move it...i said well if its a 1/4" /click @100yds scope, come over 14 clicks & see where that lands...you should get on in 3 groups unless something is wrong...

Nope...!

The instructor said we dont things like that here...we'll do it the proper way...

He made them shoot groups & come 2 clicks at a time...

20 mins later & the poor fellow still wasnt sighted in...had walked accross the target 3/4 of the way to the bull...

This clown had no idea what he was doing--absolutely none...!!!...!!!

Hhmmm...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Jul 2019, 9:21 am

Stix wrote:Be ignorant & look stupid... :lol:
Wow...!
Being new to shooting & setting up a scope/getting sighted in can be intimidating...especially if on a range for the first time with all those "officials" over your shoulder, & no matter how much youve studied the subject on the net.

I think some people forget, or have no idea how intimidating it can be for some people.

How many people have never returned to a club/range because officials make newbees feel stupid...??!!

We are all ignorant until we learn something, whether or not we use what we've learned might be stupid, to other people.
And "looking stupid" by definition is entirely somebody else's opinion of you, and thus irrelevant.

I have known motorcycle riders that won't go onto a racetrack because they're afraid of discovering just how much they still don't know. Learning and improving your skills _are_ the best part of trying new things, get out there, the less you know beforehand, the faster you'll improve.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jul 2019, 4:02 pm

Stix wrote:
solarpak wrote:Use as many as you need - provided you know what your doing - and get it on paper at 25m first - then out to 100.
CK

Be ignorant & look stupid... :lol:
Wow...!

Hahaha...

Cant say how many times ive seen club officials self professed experts, or firearm instructor's guide newbees in sighting a rifle, when they CLEARLY have no idea themselves...

I remember (relatively recently) seeing an official firearms instructor nurturing a newbee adult shooter to sight their rifle...
The rifle was couple inches off at 50m..they were having problems working out how many clicks to move it...i said well if its a 1/4" /click @100yds scope, come over 14 clicks & see where that lands...you should get on in 3 groups unless something is wrong...

Nope...!

The instructor said we dont things like that here...we'll do it the proper way...

He made them shoot groups & come 2 clicks at a time...

20 mins later & the poor fellow still wasnt sighted in...had walked accross the target 3/4 of the way to the bull...

This clown had no idea what he was doing--absolutely none...!!!...!!!

Hhmmm...

Yep there are some "special" people out there alright, only takes 2-3 shots to have em shooting where ya want em too if you've centred the X-hairs in the scope correctly. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by xDom » 11 Aug 2019, 12:43 pm

Would you put off sighting a .223 in on a windy day? How much effect would it have over about 100m? Not talking about cyclonic weather, just a gusty winter's day.
xDom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Aug 2019, 1:59 pm

It will send your projectile left or right. If you know the wind value you could adjust based on that or shoot 180 degrees in the other direction and split the difference.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 11 Aug 2019, 2:21 pm

Do you need to do it...?...as in os it for hunting that night where you have to sight in/check it & cant wait for good conditions...?
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Aug 2019, 3:07 pm

xDom wrote:Would you put off sighting a .223 in on a windy day? How much effect would it have over about 100m? Not talking about cyclonic weather, just a gusty winter's day.

If it were the only opportunity I had it wouldn't bother me, but thinking about it, I guess it comes back to how much experience you have shooting in wind.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Scopes, sights and optics