Stihl Spare Parts

General conversation and chit chat - The place for non-shooting specific topics. Introduce yourself here.

Stihl Spare Parts

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 12:34 pm

Thought id try this...never know...

Has anyone here sucessfully purchased spare parts for their Stihl machines online...?

My TS-800 Cutquik (16" Concrete cutter) hasnt been used in a good few years--its basically new--as in not even worn through an entire medium compound blade...and ts not kicking over...
(The most annoying thing is i need it for one small cut through a stone wall about 200mm wide... :roll: ...and no i cant use a grinder)

No spark...tester shows no power to the plug, so its before the plug...

So its either one of the wires, or the ignition module (part No 4224 1301B)...& the shop want $250-300 to repair it (quoted $250ish for the part & min $50 Labour), without telling me whats wrong until after its fixed...(I hate that)...

I understand they have to pay rent but im just not in a position to hand over that cash ATM..

So i wondered if its worth just buying all the bits online (Ignition module & wires) & putting them on myself & hoping for the best...

Anyway...anyone tried Stihl parts online with success...?

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Stihl Spare Parts

Post by on_one_wheel » 08 Aug 2019, 5:16 pm

Living up to it's reputation...

Stihl trying to get it started.

Ditch it and buy a Husqvarna
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 08 Aug 2019, 6:15 pm

I have but ive found can be more expensive to get online as you have to pay postage. Been stihl its all locked up and can make it hard to get genuine parts not through a dealer. Ive got few aftermarket parts online been pretty good quality.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 08 Aug 2019, 6:17 pm

Id try google and see if you can test it yourself with multimeter. Might be able to save your self alot of time and money
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 7:28 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Living up to it's reputation...

Stihl trying to get it started.

Ditch it and buy a Husqvarna

Errr...not helpful...but im happy to be the conduit to a good product slagging, given my situation & this more or less being a new machine... :thumbsup:

...but if i dont have $300 to throw at being railroaded into a repair, i dont have the money to buy a Husky... :unknown:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 7:38 pm

pete1 wrote:Id try google and see if you can test it yourself with multimeter. Might be able to save your self alot of time and money

Thanks Pete...

Ive had a bit of a search today without much luck...im not a internet search kinda guy--seem to go in circles...but ill try again....
I found a lot of modules for the smaller model, but i have the big kahoona & didnt find parts for it anywhere online... :unknown:

Yes ill get a tester from a guy & try...but im not an electricial & know nothing about power...& im not sure about trying to get pointty bits into ignition module/coil...
I have one more mechanic option to try before just dropping it off to be fixed.

Anyway, have you used specific parts place...?
And where did you get the parts from...here or USA...?

I cant believe some chinese mob doesnt copy these things--there cant be much to them--Stihk really know how to railroad the end user to give the dealer a profit & remove a lot of choice from us... :thumbsdown:

Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 08 Aug 2019, 8:29 pm

Don't worry Huskqvarna does the same my wife had a Husqvarna sewing machine and I had a lecky set to put the part in but the Husqvarna dealer wouldn't sell us the part had to be put in by a dealer @ half the price of a new machine so changed brand and put the Husqvarna in the shed been there for years but to your question Stix if the machine isn't a warranty issue then there is no reason another lecky can't buy the part and put it in for you cheaper get the lecky to check and find what is needed and the number of the part and find out on line the price of it incase the dealer tries to rip you off can you find a lecky friend and get him to check it for you pitty you weren't over here mate I've got a mate that does my lecky work for a bag of my jerky bigger the job the more bags of jerky I don't know of any other way other than a lecky mate doing it for you I wouldn't give that Stihl dealer prick a red cent if it was avoidable mate hope you find someone to help can you give me some numbers and i'll ask my local dealer he does all my chain saws although he may have to order your part in so it may take a little while but I could easily send it onto you cheers
Member-Deleted

Post by GQshayne » 08 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

I can't help you with parts, but I would be looking closely at the stop switch. It will be an earth for the ignition, and a quite a simple arrangement. A close look at it for a good contact, corrosion etc will be the first place to look. Second place will be the contacts on the ignition and flywheel. I think a contact fault is likely given it has not been used for a while.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 08 Aug 2019, 8:45 pm

I have not looked at one for about 2.5 years, so I cannot picture it in my head. But if you wanna have a crack yourself, then show me some photos of the switch and crankcase with the covers off. I might be able to help you if I can see the assembly to jog my memory. These things have a simple ignition arrangement, so corrosion is really the big suspect here.

Page 42 covers the ignition system.

https://stihl.partsmartweb.com/Catdata/ ... 589595.PDF
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Aug 2019, 10:13 pm

I’ve used all manner of swapped ignition coils on dirt bikes - as long as lecky values are the same.
The TS400 coils are like $10...
But as Qs has said - rule out the cheaper things first...

I have a husky txc310 - elec start. It burnt out starter a year ago. $1200 for a new one and no way of fixing according to local auto elec
She’s kick start now lol.

***Just wondering - maybe you should see if you could put a few drops of bobox in the guts, bet shed fire right up!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 10:47 pm

Ahh fffaaarrrkkk... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
A squirt of Bobox eh...
I would but i get the feeling the Colonel is involved in that market...& he scares the hoot outa me...!!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 11:03 pm

Don't worry Huskqvarna does the same my wife had a Husqvarna sewing machine and I had a lecky set to put the part in but the Husqvarna dealer wouldn't sell us the part had to be put in by a dealer @ half the price of a new machine so changed brand and put the Husqvarna in the shed been there for years but to your question Stix if the machine isn't a warranty issue then there is no reason another lecky can't buy the part and put it in for you cheaper get the lecky to check and find what is needed and the number of the part and find out on line the price of it incase the dealer tries to rip you off can you find a lecky friend and get him to check it for you pitty you weren't over here mate I've got a mate that does my lecky work for a bag of my jerky bigger the job the more bags of jerky I don't know of any other way other than a lecky mate doing it for you I wouldn't give that Stihl dealer prick a red cent if it was avoidable mate hope you find someone to help can you give me some numbers and i'll ask my local dealer he does all my chain saws although he may have to order your part in so it may take a little while but I could easily send it onto you cheers

Thanks
Wish i was up there--not for your spakly mate...but so i could grab a bag of that jerky...!! :thumbsup:
Ill get some more one day when the bank is off my back...!!!

I put the part number in the first post...

I do know a bloke who may be able to test it, but he was busy tonight with his family arriving from NSW ...
& he also has a mechanic mate who may be able to help as well, but its all time to get around to them.

But changing the parts is easy mate--just a couple of screws...its just finding where the electricsl "blockage" is first...
Ill have another look at the electrics tomorrow if i can...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Stix » 08 Aug 2019, 11:23 pm

GQshayne wrote:I can't help you with parts, but I would be looking closely at the stop switch. It will be an earth for the ignition, and a quite a simple arrangement. A close look at it for a good contact, corrosion etc will be the first place to look. Second place will be the contacts on the ignition and flywheel. I think a contact fault is likely given it has not been used for a while.

GQshayne wrote:I have not looked at one for about 2.5 years, so I cannot picture it in my head. But if you wanna have a crack yourself, then show me some photos of the switch and crankcase with the covers off. I might be able to help you if I can see the assembly to jog my memory. These things have a simple ignition arrangement, so corrosion is really the big suspect here.

Page 42 covers the ignition system.

https://stihl.partsmartweb.com/Catdata/ ... 589595.PDF

Thanks GQshsyne...!!
I didnt think of the stop switch...!!

Had all the covers off today & pulled the module out.
sll the connections on it look fine--no corrosion.
The spark plug end of the high tension lead looks ok too, but i didnt unscrew it from the module.

Ill take the covers off again tomorrow to take some pics & have another look...

You might be on the money with stop switch...i didnt look at that--didnt even think of it because its the same switch that locks the throttle slightly open to start...

Thanks again...very muchly appreciated :thumbsup: :clap: & ill post some pics tomorrow...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by pete1 » 09 Aug 2019, 6:52 am

I know ive used ebay for few parts, ill have a think see if i can remember other mob i used
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Aug 2019, 1:44 pm

Pull the lead of the kill switch and see if it's got spark then. You may want to remove the coil next and give it a clean then re install (just use a business card to set the gap again - make sure the magnets are up against the coil when doing that).

It wouldn't surprise me if the carby will need a quick clean as well after sitting for so long and no doubt had the fuel left in it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by GQshayne » 09 Aug 2019, 7:36 pm

The fuel system is another kettle of fish, not as simple as the ignition system. But, after such a lay up, I would not be surprised if the carby needed a new diaphragm set in it. All doable at home, just need to take your time. Access to the shop manual is very handy, so fortunate it is available online. But removing and refitting the carby is a fiddly job, and is tricky the first time you do it.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 09 Aug 2019, 11:15 pm

Carby should (well hopefully) be fine...
After it wouldnt start straight up i flooded it purposely twice & "pulled" it out again all seemed ok...

I always drain fuel & run dry--never leave fuel in carby with exception of chainsaw when im gonna use it again soon.
Either way fuel is secondary at this point, i need spark before i worry about mix...!
Anyway...pics...
2019-08-09 22.25.53.jpg
Coil/ignition module
2019-08-09 22.25.53.jpg (422.03 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

2019-08-09 22.26.06.jpg
Coil & flywheel 1
2019-08-09 22.26.06.jpg (396.23 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

2019-08-09 22.26.16.jpg
Coil & flywheel 2
2019-08-09 22.26.16.jpg (390.92 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

2019-08-09 22.26.32.jpg
Rear of unit no air filter & Kill switch
2019-08-09 22.26.32.jpg (445.76 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

2019-08-09 22.26.42.jpg
Kill switch close up
2019-08-09 22.26.42.jpg (409.71 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

2019-08-09 22.29.18.jpg
Other wire from coil
2019-08-09 22.29.18.jpg (315.71 KiB) Viewed 3995 times

So i assume the other wire from coil goes to the kill switch...? (Havnt studied book yet).
This wire (this last pic^) disapears down between front side of air intake & cylnder covers...cant see its end... :huh: ...the same wire you csn see in top left corner of 4th pic going down into guts of unit...

Cant see wire connection to kill switch--have to look at book to get me head around it yet...

These pics any good to your memory to give any tips/directions...

(I couldnt take more pics as it started raining).
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Aug 2019, 1:24 pm

Yeah one wire is the kill switch wire the other goes to the spark plug to ignite the coil with, just pull the wire off that goes to the kill switch and see if you get spark then, if so try and start it and when you want to shut it off just pull the choke out that will flood the carb and shut it off that way.

I'd unscrew that coil and give it a good clean and as I said before set the gap with a business card (turn that flywheel around until the magnet meets up with the coil (loosen the screws holding the coil, push a business card into where the contact of the coil meets the magnets on the flywheel push the coil up against the card/magnet and do the bolts up you have now set the gap for the coil, if you still don't get spart I would be looking for a new coil as that one's stuffed :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 5:11 pm

Cheers Bigfella...

I cant see where the wire goes...ill have to look at the book a little & see how easy it is to get to where it connects to the switch...
Fingers crossed its not the coil--just utterly stupid high price for them through a dealer... :crazy:

I tried a quick clean & reset of the coil already...obviously no luck... :thumbsdown:

Hopefully Ill get time to try do it tomorrow...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 10 Aug 2019, 7:13 pm

Coils on these types of machines are very reliable. But the connections get a hard life, dirty and often wet. Use your manual to check every connection and hopefully your spark will return.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Aug 2019, 7:20 pm

Thanks guys...i appreciate your help... :drinks:

Ill let you know how i get on...i just have so much to bloody do...!
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 10 Aug 2019, 7:25 pm

I am in the same boat at the moment. My .17 Rem rifle project has not been touched in a month, and I have other stuff to after the first job that has prevented me doing it! Poo.

I forgot to mention - the best thing to clean parts such as on your TS is aerosol brake and parts cleaner. High pressure cleaner leaves no residue. Do not use carby cleaner except on steel fuel system parts - it will melt some plastics. Brake cleaner is great to blast stuff clean before removal and during assembly.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 11:55 am

Stix wrote:Cheers Bigfella...

I cant see where the wire goes...ill have to look at the book a little & see how easy it is to get to where it connects to the switch...
Fingers crossed its not the coil--just utterly stupid high price for them through a dealer... :crazy:

I tried a quick clean & reset of the coil already...obviously no luck... :thumbsdown:

If it is the coil look for a aftermarket one for it, try the carby doctor or have a look on ebay for one, they should be available I would think (that's where my mates buys most of his from for repairing chainsaws, whipersnippers and anything else that needs a coil or carby or anything for that matter, he doesn't bother with genuine because they are way over priced. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 11 Aug 2019, 12:52 pm

bigfellascott wrote:

If it is the coil look for a aftermarket one for it, try the carby doctor or have a look on ebay for one, they should be available I would think (that's where my mates buys most of his from for repairing chainsaws, whipersnippers and anything else that needs a coil or carby or anything for that matter, he doesn't bother with genuine because they are way over priced. :thumbsup:

Ive had a look & havnt been sucessful at locating one (a coil)...
Emailed couple of ebay dealers here & OS with no luck...but that just seems my usual of late... :thumbsdown:
Ill keep you posted & if it is the coil ill see if you can find one...

Only need to find the time now...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2019, 6:23 pm

Good luck with it mate, hopefully you will find a cheapy if it's needed. :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by cracker » 11 Aug 2019, 11:30 pm

Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Emailed couple of ebay dealers here & OS with no luck...but that just seems my usual of late... :thumbsdown:

google the part number of the coil, chance are a few things share it.
2stroke coils are pretty dam simple... they arent going to make 10,000 different types.
chance are youll find something... its only a bloody coil! saying that they dont break much....
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 12 Aug 2019, 5:59 am

cracker wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

2stroke coils are pretty dam simple... they arent going to make 10,000 different types.
chance are youll find something... its only a bloody coil! saying that they dont break much....

A yeah they do actually, quite often in fact, we are always replacing them, got a stihl whipper snipper that's just over a yr or 2 old and it's got a stuffed coil by the looks of it.

Your are right in saying they often share the same coil, it's important to get the right one as if you don't you will one have trouble getting the mounting holes lined up and two you will find the timing isn't right and it will want to make the machine fire on the wrong part of the stroke (we've had a few coils lately that want to make chainsaws run in reverse - I suppose one could always put the chain on back to front and use it that way :lol:

You'll probably find the coils from china anyway - stihl has lots of parts on their equipment that's made in China now as do a lot of the others too. :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 7:52 am

cracker wrote:
Stix wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:

Thanks cracker...
Yes ill try internet searching again when (&if) i establish the coil is st fault.
However, i did spend some time looking & tried the part number, & the only coil i could find that continually came up were the coil for smaller machine.
Not sure if they are the same (id have thought not).

Im.just struggling for time to pull it apart now...

Anyway...thanks for your help thus far...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Off topic - General conversation