Which LA101 have the feed issues

Rimfire bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action and self loading rifles. Air rifles.

Which LA101 have the feed issues

Post by JimTom » 10 Aug 2019, 7:51 am

G’day Gents.

Have had a look some old threads and am trying to find out which model Lithgow LA101 had the feed or any other issues?
Thanks in advance.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Which LA101 have the feed issues

Post by JimTom » 11 Aug 2019, 11:04 am

Reason for asking is that I had some feed problems the other day with a certain type of ammo which I had tried for the first time.
For the record mine is a 2016.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2019, 9:38 pm

The pre 16 ones were a bit notorious and many went back. I also have a 2016, and it had feed issues coming from the mag.- a new mag or a cz mag solved my problems. Hasn’t let me down many thousands of rounds later
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by JimTom » 12 Aug 2019, 10:29 am

Thanks mate. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Mattraff » 12 Aug 2019, 11:30 pm

They are all finicky and will have problems with some ammo. The main issue is the amount of slop in the very loose mag well. I own 3 CZ rifles that all feed fine with any of my CZ mags but the Lithgow will stove pipe and is never perfect.
Mattraff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by allan » 13 Aug 2019, 12:58 pm

I have two - one 2015 build & one 2016.
I had a few initial issues with the 2015 rifle - Easily resolved with a slight magazine follower adjustment. The 2016 rifle fed perfectly as received.
I use 6X5 shot Lithgow mags & 2X5 shot metal CZ mags & SK ammo.
Just checked my logs....The 2015 build round count is 6,276 - The 2016 build round count is 4,510.
These rifles have fired over two cases of ammo. without issue - I'm satisfied with that.
allan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Other

Post by JimTom » 13 Aug 2019, 2:22 pm

Can’t argue with that mate at all.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by KoalaGrundle » 13 Aug 2019, 8:47 pm

I don't know if the actual rifles have feed issues, however the old style Lithgow magazines with a black plastic follower were causing the last round to invert 90 degrees.

They've replaced the follower with a metal one which works properly. If you contact them they'll swap it over or at least they did for me.

If you buy and aftermarket ISA magazine they'll include a piece of paper with how to bend their follower to work properly with the LA101
The first rule of gun safety is to have fun
KoalaGrundle
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 13 Aug 2019, 9:40 pm

Thanks mate. I have one of those ISA mags. Turned spring around and bent followed and it works a treat.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by byadbo boy » 19 Sep 2019, 4:09 pm

My 2018 one ( Z prefix serial number ) feeds absolutely perfectly with the factory issued 5 shot mags with stainless follower- I have two of these.
I have since purchased four ISA Aussie made 10 shots and use 3 in the LA101 and one in our lovely old Brno 2E.
When adjusted as per handy little diagram supplied they feed excellent and a nice click home when fitted .
LA101 's cop plenty of bad press - but I bought mine when I simply gave up waiting for a T1X.
Every cloud has a silver lining and I absolutely love this rifle.
It is accurate.
It is beautifully made and finished.
And it feels like a rifle when you pick it up- not a toy.
byadbo boy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by peterclark » 19 Sep 2019, 10:26 pm

A mag problem can cause issues with the bolt sticking on feed. If the round doesn't hit the feed ramp properly it can cause the bolt to stick (more common with a necked cartridge I've found).
peterclark

Post by peterclark » 30 Sep 2019, 7:59 pm

Lithgow Arms clearly succeeded in their bid to design the Crossover to be "a hunting/target rifle with modern tactical styling, high accuracy and reliability. Finally, the need for extra uniform locking support with rear lugs has an indirect effect on cartridge ejection in the LA 101.
peterclark

Post by deye243 » 30 Sep 2019, 10:21 pm

Mine just sits in the safe because it is hopeless at extracting cases whether I clean it or not ......
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by PaddyT » 02 Oct 2019, 6:38 pm

Would imagine thats someting you could send back to Lithgow for a look. Mine has put about 4000rnds through and not one extraction problem, took it for a run just before i came overseas last month, put 100 rnds of SK Match and 50 of CCI Velocitor- no misfeeds, and a whole bunch of sub MOA groups at 50M-
PaddyT
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Rimfire rifles, and air rifles