Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50 or similar

Rifle scopes, iron sights and optics. Spotting scopes and target acquisition devices.

Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50 or similar

Post by Roo farmer » 08 Aug 2019, 8:09 pm

Looking for opinions on the Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50, or something with similar price and specifications.

I don't have the $1,500 plus for a Leopold etc.

Preferably something rugged and simple, without unnecessary knobs and things hanging off it. Also preferably a simple reticle.

Will be used at night under a spotlight for shooting kangaroos. Has to be able to rattle around on the dashboard.

What are your suggestions?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Re: Burris FF-E1 6.5-20x50 or similar

Post by SCJ429 » 08 Aug 2019, 8:59 pm

How much can you get the Burris for?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 08 Aug 2019, 9:11 pm

SCJ429 wrote:How much can you get the Burris for?

$730
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Aug 2019, 10:08 pm

https://www.usedguns.com.au/Product.aspx?p=155361

ONLY if weight is not a huge consideration as it’s heavy. Lifetime warranty. Forget 30x in reality as becomes a lil foggy after 27/28 power.

But for the $ - you won’t find the mag range with the clarity. From someone who owns 4 leupolds
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by JimTom » 09 Aug 2019, 6:51 am

Have a look at Meopta Meopro 6-18x50.
I have one and rate it. Was somewhere around $800 a year or so ago.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Roo farmer » 09 Aug 2019, 7:20 am

JimTom wrote:Have a look at Meopta Meopro 6-18x50.

Thanks for the suggestion, the adjustment caps look a bit bigger than I was hoping for.
Attachments
Screenshot_20190809-064540_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190809-064540_Chrome.jpg (446.09 KiB) Viewed 5392 times
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Bill » 09 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

steer clear of the E1 series, lower specs than the old Fullfield II, I recently helped a mate get on a used Mepota Meopro 3.5-10 x 44 for only $450 and its now on his work gun. He shoots 3 nites a week for a living. The old E1 he had is now sitting in a box somehwere, over hyped junk
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by GQshayne » 09 Aug 2019, 7:42 pm

Roo farmer wrote:
JimTom wrote:Have a look at Meopta Meopro 6-18x50.

Thanks for the suggestion, the adjustment caps look a bit bigger than I was hoping for.

Variations I suspect. That one looks to have a ballistic turret arrangement. Here is another version.

https://www.winchesteraustralia.com.au/ ... MP61850BDC
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 09 Aug 2019, 7:45 pm

https://www.thebarn.net.au/Products/Meo ... 6pageno%3d

I do not have a Meopro myself, but the Meostar which I have is a very good optic. Compares well with Z6 Swarovski and Zeiss when side by side. Meopta are good quality in my opinion.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 09 Aug 2019, 10:05 pm

What have you got against target turrets? Don't like the ease of making elevation adjustments or they get in the way?

For $700 you have a few choices. Why not a $250 Bushnell, they are not rubbish and the glass is quite acceptable.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 10 Aug 2019, 3:17 pm

SCJ429 wrote:What have you got against target turrets? Don't like the ease of making elevation adjustments or they get in the way?

I have two different Landcruiser dashboards.

The one with the sub fuel gauge, has no spare space. I don't like the idea of the scope knocking on the dashboard any more than necessary as I drive around. Therefore my preference for sensible sized adjustment caps like on the Burris 4.5-14 in the photos.
20190810_141436.jpg
20190810_141436.jpg (1.95 MiB) Viewed 5301 times
20190810_141408.jpg
20190810_141408.jpg (1.76 MiB) Viewed 5301 times

The one without the sub fuel gauge has a bit of space between the scope and the dash carpet, but not a lot.
20190810_141716.jpg
20190810_141716.jpg (1.82 MiB) Viewed 5301 times
20190810_141731.jpg
20190810_141731.jpg (1.91 MiB) Viewed 5301 times
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 11 Aug 2019, 3:47 pm

SCJ429 wrote:For $700 you have a few choices. Why not a $250 Bushnell, they are not rubbish and the glass is quite acceptable.

Which particular model Bushnell would you recommend? Or I'm open to anything else suitable with magnification up to 18 or 20 or so?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 11:10 am

Roo farmer wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:For $700 you have a few choices. Why not a $250 Bushnell, they are not rubbish and the glass is quite acceptable.

Which particular model Bushnell would you recommend? Or I'm open to anything else suitable with magnification up to 18 or 20 or so?

Its not the best scope...but i have a Bushnell Trophy Extreme 3(ish)--15 X 50 with illuminated Xmas tree reticle on a 22-250 for spotlighting & i love it...
The hash marks are handy for me when using reduced trailboss loads for fun close range bunny plinking out to 150 odd yards.

They are not the best optically, but plenty good enough for hunting, & they have a decent weight reticle which is what you want for spotlighting....i think they are worth a look mate--although not the mag youve mentioned above, that scope should be plenty good enough for what (i think) you want... :thumbsup:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mark » 12 Aug 2019, 7:03 pm

Not what you asked for, but i've heard good things about this scope !
It get some pretty decent reviews on youtube.
https://magnumsports.com.au/255/278/560 ... -30mm.html
Mark
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Aug 2019, 8:36 pm

The Bushnell Banner 6 - 18 is $250 and the Bushnell Trophy 6? - 24 is $400. I don't have these scopes but have looked through them and the optics are fine. Reticals are a bit heavier than I am use to but tracking worked great. The Trophy my mate had was dropped when he slipped on some rocks and despite a few scratches the scope was unhurt.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 12 Aug 2019, 10:35 pm

Stix wrote:
Its not the best scope...but i have a Bushnell Trophy Extreme 3(ish)--15 X 50 with illuminated Xmas tree reticle on a 22-250 for spotlighting & i love it...
The hash marks are handy for me when using reduced trailboss loads for fun close range bunny plinking out to 150 odd yards.

They are not the best optically, but plenty good enough for hunting, & they have a decent weight reticle which is what you want for spotlighting....i think they are worth a look mate--although not the mag youve mentioned above, that scope should be plenty good enough for what (i think) you want... :thumbsup:

I have a scope with up to 14 magnification, and I want a bit more. This may be the wrong thing to think, as I realise that most people have less for a spotlighting situation, but if I find that it's too much I can always wind it back a bit.

I want:
- Something with around the 18 or 20 magnification.
- Narrow knobs, so that it sits on the dashboard nicely as per the photos above.
- Simple reticle, like the wide cross hairs that go narrow in the centre, like what they call Z plex?
- Holds its zero once sighted in. It will rattle around in the rough paddocks a bit.
- 1 click actually moves the point of impact 1/4" (I've had trouble with cheap scopes, 3 clicks barely moves then one more click and it goes about 3/4")
- No unnecessary weird stuff.

I don't know if such a thing actually exists?

I was attracted to the Burris mentioned in the title, as it looked like it has narrow knobs. This is a very difficult thing to judge when researching online, as sometimes the photos are not actually the exact scope. I have been unable to get an answer on whether it has a simple reticle as an option or not.

As for wanting a simple reticle, maybe this is not such a big deal? Maybe a tree type one is not so bad? I've never looked through one, but it seems like a whole heap of clutter that I don't want? I find it difficult to judge distance, so would it just be annoying? Or, when I get better, would I be glad I had it?

I don't care about the brand name. I'm not going to brag to anyone what type of scope I have. In fact probably nobody will ever see it. I want simple rugged performance.

When I say no unneccessary weird stuff, I mean things like this:
Screenshot_20190812-215748_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20190812-215748_Chrome.jpg (288.48 KiB) Viewed 5213 times

Open to any suggestions that fit the description. If there is such a thing?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Aug 2019, 10:50 pm

if your not overly fussed with the bottom end mag range - why not consider a second hand, life time warranty Leupold vx3 6-20 - you can find them for $650-750 - they have simple fine cross hairs, easy to use/hear clickers and amazing clarity and built tough.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 13 Aug 2019, 12:22 am

Roo farmer wrote:
Stix wrote:

I have a scope with up to 14 magnification, and I want a bit more. This may be the wrong thing to think, as I realise that most people have less for a spotlighting situation, but if I find that it's too much I can always wind it back a bit.

I want:
- Something with around the 18 or 20 magnification.
- Narrow knobs, so that it sits on the dashboard nicely as per the photos above.
- Simple reticle, like the wide cross hairs that go narrow in the centre, like what they call Z plex?
- Holds its zero once sighted in. It will rattle around in the rough paddocks a bit.
- 1 click actually moves the point of impact 1/4" (I've had trouble with cheap scopes, 3 clicks barely moves then one more click and it goes about 3/4")
- No unnecessary weird stuff.

I don't know if such a thing actually exists?

I was attracted to the Burris mentioned in the title, as it looked like it has narrow knobs. This is a very difficult thing to judge when researching online, as sometimes the photos are not actually the exact scope. I have been unable to get an answer on whether it has a simple reticle as an option or not.

As for wanting a simple reticle, maybe this is not such a big deal? Maybe a tree type one is not so bad? I've never looked through one, but it seems like a whole heap of clutter that I don't want? I find it difficult to judge distance, so would it just be annoying? Or, when I get better, would I be glad I had it?

I don't care about the brand name. I'm not going to brag to anyone what type of scope I have. In fact probably nobody will ever see it. I want simple rugged performance.

When I say no unneccessary weird stuff, I mean things like this:
Screenshot_20190812-215748_Chrome.jpg

Open to any suggestions that fit the description. If there is such a thing?

Your description is open ended...you put question marks after many things--for example with reference to the reticle --you ssid this...

"As for wanting a simple reticle, maybe this is not such a big deal? Maybe a tree type one is not so bad? I've never looked through one, but it seems like a whole heap of clutter that I don't want?"

Three question marks that no one can answer for you...
I believe you need to not only look through one, but spend some time shooting with one to know if you like that type of reticle.

I like them, others dont...some dont like the "clutter"--personally i dont even see the "clutter" unless im looking for it for bullet drop...so the only time ive found a fox hiding behind my reticle is when ive put it there--if you dont know you like them--we dont know either.

Im not trying to be difficult, just saying--no one here knows if you like a drop hash mark reticle if you dont.

As for magnification...i cant speak for others, but i find much beyond 16 mag on a scope with 40mm objective, & 18x on a 50mm objective, & you loose way too much light for shooting in a stubble field from within a car (meaning not elevated)...from back of a ute on moonlit night is different..

Im not sure of your expectations...best i can tell you need a Swarovski Z6i...

Also with regard to reticle'--i believe it to be extremely beneficial to shoot with a medium to heavy reticle for spotlighting--it makes it easier to see/more contrast...

i have no doubt that you will struggle to see, let alone to shoot many roos at 250m with a halogen powered blitz 240 looking through a cheap scope (<$1500-2000) wound up to 24X with a fine reticle on a dark night...not impossible, but difficult...!
I do a fair bit of spotlighting & this is just my opinion...

I also have the Trophy extreme 6-24x50 with the varmint reticle (xmas tree) & the reticle is thick--good for spotlighting big targets like foxes & roos heads- :thumbsup: -its not much chop on bunny's heads at 300 during the day though.
But--this reticle isnt illuminated--something else that i brlieve will be beneficial for you.

As for hold zero & consistant click value...i believe anything below $2000-$1500 ish is a gamble--buy something eith lifetime w'tee.

If you find it difficult to judge distance--so do most people (not that they will all admit it).
If you're shooting distances beyond the max point blank for your load, buy a rangefinder with an illuminated reticle--it will help you immensly...but there are always times where perspective will fool you at night using a spotlighy & this will continue throughout your life...!!

Recommendations for your specic use...(that i have actually looked through)...
Bushnell trophy 3-15x50 illuminated...
Bushnell trophy 6-24x50
Swarovski z6i (heavier reticlemodel) :thumbsup:
Swarvski z5i (heavier reticle model):thumbsup:
Leopold 6.5-20x50 (not sure if the do a heavier reticle other than fine...? :unknown: )

I also have a zeiss 5-25 hd5 eith varmint reticle--excellent weight reticle for spotlighting but not illuminated...

Gotta go to bed...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:34 am

Good point there Stix, European glass is excellent in low or artificial light. The Swarovski lines can be a bit expensive but Ziess has a budget line.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 13 Aug 2019, 11:25 am

I would like to give a plus one for the Nikko Stirling Nighteater.I put a new one on my lightweight .222 Ruger S/S synthetic when I took up Kangaroo culling in 96 and it was 3 x 10 by 40mm and it did the job well.I paid $96 for it and I am sure they are only $127 new now
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 13 Aug 2019, 8:12 pm

I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

An example - I am at the range doing some sighting in a while ago. I have an old 2-8 power Japanese Tasco World Class. A good scope in its day. Trying to spot .22 holes in the target, I was struggling, so I grabbed the 10 power binos. Hmmm no good either. I also had my .243 there, so I grabbed it to look through the scope, and I could see them quite easily. The scope is a 6 power Swarovski.

An illuminated reticle is worth you looking at too.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 13 Aug 2019, 8:26 pm

GQshayne wrote:I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

An example - I am at the range doing some sighting in a while ago. I have an old 2-8 power Japanese Tasco World Class. A good scope in its day. Trying to spot .22 holes in the target, I was struggling, so I grabbed the 10 power binos. Hmmm no good either. I also had my .243 there, so I grabbed it to look through the scope, and I could see them quite easily. The scope is a 6 power Swarovski.

I had the opposite experience, I could not see .22 bullet holes at 500 with a 12x S&B but no can do. I grabbed my bench rifle and could see them easily, with the 55x Nightforce.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Roo farmer » 13 Aug 2019, 9:29 pm

Stix wrote:Your description is open ended...you put question marks after many things--for example with reference to the reticle --you ssid this...

"As for wanting a simple reticle, maybe this is not such a big deal? Maybe a tree type one is not so bad? I've never looked through one, but it seems like a whole heap of clutter that I don't want?"

Three question marks that no one can answer for you...
I believe you need to not only look through one, but spend some time shooting with one to know if you like that type of reticle.

I like them, others dont...some dont like the "clutter"--personally i dont even see the "clutter" unless im looking for it for bullet drop...so the only time ive found a fox hiding behind my reticle is when ive put it there--if you dont know you like them--we dont know either.

Im not trying to be difficult, just saying--no one here knows if you like a drop hash mark reticle if you dont.

As for magnification...i cant speak for others, but i find much beyond 16 mag on a scope with 40mm objective, & 18x on a 50mm objective, & you loose way too much light for shooting in a stubble field from within a car (meaning not elevated)...from back of a ute on moonlit night is different..

Im not sure of your expectations...best i can tell you need a Swarovski Z6i...

Also with regard to reticle'--i believe it to be extremely beneficial to shoot with a medium to heavy reticle for spotlighting--it makes it easier to see/more contrast...

i have no doubt that you will struggle to see, let alone to shoot many roos at 250m with a halogen powered blitz 240 looking through a cheap scope (<$1500-2000) wound up to 24X with a fine reticle on a dark night...not impossible, but difficult...!
I do a fair bit of spotlighting & this is just my opinion...

I also have the Trophy extreme 6-24x50 with the varmint reticle (xmas tree) & the reticle is thick--good for spotlighting big targets like foxes & roos heads- :thumbsup: -its not much chop on bunny's heads at 300 during the day though.
But--this reticle isnt illuminated--something else that i brlieve will be beneficial for you.

As for hold zero & consistant click value...i believe anything below $2000-$1500 ish is a gamble--buy something eith lifetime w'tee.

If you find it difficult to judge distance--so do most people (not that they will all admit it).
If you're shooting distances beyond the max point blank for your load, buy a rangefinder with an illuminated reticle--it will help you immensly...but there are always times where perspective will fool you at night using a spotlighy & this will continue throughout your life...!!

Recommendations for your specic use...(that i have actually looked through)...
Bushnell trophy 3-15x50 illuminated...
Bushnell trophy 6-24x50
Swarovski z6i (heavier reticlemodel) :thumbsup:
Swarvski z5i (heavier reticle model):thumbsup:
Leopold 6.5-20x50 (not sure if the do a heavier reticle other than fine...? :unknown: )

I also have a zeiss 5-25 hd5 eith varmint reticle--excellent weight reticle for spotlighting but not illuminated...

Gotta go to bed...

Thankyou for your opinions, much appreciated. Yes, I put question marks after many things. Just because I don't really know, and maybe someone has been in a similar situation, bought a particular scope that they didn't know if they were going to like, but then decided that they do like it. I guess if it's just personal opinion then there are no real answers.
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Roo farmer » 13 Aug 2019, 9:32 pm

GQshayne wrote:I wonder if perhaps you think you need more magnification, when in fact what you actually need is better quality.

Thanks for the suggestion, yes maybe that is a possibility. Pretty hard to know. I believe an illuminated reticle runs on a small button battery. How long do they last?
Roo farmer
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 13 Aug 2019, 10:53 pm

Roo farmer wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, yes maybe that is a possibility. Pretty hard to know. I believe an illuminated reticle runs on a small button battery. How long do they last?

Less than a week if you leave them on. :?
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:31 pm

I do not know how long they last to be honest. Perhaps some googling will tell you that. It will vary between brands too I guess.

As for leaving them on by mistake, that will also depend on what brand you get. I know that Swarovski will only operate when in a horizontal and upright position, so if you point the rifle up or lay it on its side, the illuminated reticle turns off, and will switch on again when in a shooting position.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:35 pm

SCJ429 wrote:

I had the opposite experience, I could not see .22 bullet holes at 500 with a 12x S&B but no can do. I grabbed my bench rifle and could see them easily, with the 55x Nightforce.

Both quality optics though, so I would have thought that should be the case. I know S&B is premium stuff but the Nightforce would be close wouldn't it? In my case, it just illustrated that the quality of the optic was more important than magnification.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 14 Aug 2019, 7:41 pm

Roo farmer, I reckon you need to try and do what Tassie Tiger did recently, and try and get a couple of scopes to look through. If you can put a Burris, Meopta Meopro, and a Swarovski etc side by side, then you can see what you get for your money.

In my case, I am a recent convert to quality optics. I am 48 now, so eyesight not as good as when I was younger, so I can appreciate the better optics. Not everyone can afford the big dollar stuff, so that is important. But some careful selection can get you a quality optic. I have recently purchased Meopta stuff and reckon it is excellent value. Not used a Meopro, but the Meostar is a contender with the Swarovski Z6, and is a heck of a lot cheaper.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2019, 8:31 pm

GQshayne wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:

Both quality optics though, so I would have thought that should be the case. I know S&B is premium stuff but the Nightforce would be close wouldn't it? In my case, it just illustrated that the quality of the optic was more important than magnification.

Yes, sorry mate I was being a bit smart. I am not sure what type of Swarovski that he can get for $700. I did look through a variable 24x Vortex which wasn't bad for around that money but the turrets might be bigger than you want.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 10:59 am

sungazer wrote:
Roo farmer wrote:

Less than a week if you leave them on. :?

Strangley enough...ive left the reticle turned on a couple of times when its in the safe on the bushnel trophy extreme 2.5.-15x50 & it hasnt gone flat...
Maybe it has a cut out on it...im not sure... :unknown:
I only ever have it on the lowest setting though.
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Next

Return to Scopes, sights and optics