Lee Enfield myths?

Bolt action rifles, lever action, pump action, self loading rifles and other miscellaneous longarms.

Lee Enfield myths?

Post by Gun-nut » 22 Jan 2019, 5:34 pm

An interesting (and long) video discussion on the numerous lee enfield myths. Thought I'd post it here for those of us that are lee enfield aficionados, and maybe get a discussion going. Definitely an interesting topic for sure.

Here's the link for your enjoyment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4nRVr4ft1wQ
Gun-nut
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Lee Enfield myths?

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 12:55 pm

Watching the video made my No4 mk1 feel lonely in the safe, now i need to open my wallet and buy a No 1 Mk III :violin:
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Dunxy » 23 Jan 2019, 2:24 pm

Is a very cool video,Rowan shooting that match was amazing to watch as well.
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 23 Jan 2019, 2:50 pm

Ahhh.... Another hagiography to the Lee Enfield.
I have no intention to criticise the obviously very skilful shooter but the question does arise if the Lee Enfield is so wonderful why isn't he using an unmodified rifle.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Dunxy » 23 Jan 2019, 3:19 pm

He borrowed that Indian 308 model to shoot the comp, easier than trying to take personal rifle os i assume?
Not enough characters!
Dunxy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 23 Jan 2019, 3:53 pm

ZXRR wrote:Watching the video made my No4 mk1 feel lonely in the safe, now i need to open my wallet and buy a No 1 Mk III :violin:

I though the No.4 was an improvement over the No.1.

Anyone hold a differing view?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZXRR » 23 Jan 2019, 3:58 pm

winton wrote:
ZXRR wrote:Watching the video made my No4 mk1 feel lonely in the safe, now i need to open my wallet and buy a No 1 Mk III :violin:

"Thought"

It is, i prefer the No4 over the Mk III any day of the week, the look, the feel, the sights etc... But a safe isn't complete without a lithgow.
ZXRR
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 23 Jan 2019, 5:38 pm

I hold a differing view, the No4 was a production improvement, based on a trials model developed to find a shorter, lighter rifle to replace the SMLE. War expediancy saw the No4 adopted as a 10 round (originally intended to be 5 round) full stocked rifle in October 1939. They were faster, easier, and cheaper to produce than the SMLE but the accuracy was not that much better and this is shown from fullbore use where the No1 MkIII still, even today, is more common than the No4. of my rifles, the only No4's that can regularly out shoot any of my No1's are the 2 Fultons Regulated Bisley rifles, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 24 Jan 2019, 6:06 am

ZXRR wrote:It is, i prefer the No4 over the Mk III any day of the week, the look, the feel, the sights etc... But a safe isn't complete without a lithgow.

The No.4 Mk1* ladder sight is excellent, but I think the No.1Mk3 is the better rifle overall.
Last edited by bladeracer on 25 Jan 2019, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by in2anity » 25 Jan 2019, 8:31 am

Very informative video thanks for sharing- it’s always refreshing to hear an ACTUAL expert talk about something they feel passionate about. Far removed from the regular s**t talk you here at public ranges.
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bladeracer » 25 Jan 2019, 8:43 am

in2anity wrote:Very informative video thanks for sharing- it’s always refreshing to hear an ACTUAL expert talk about something they feel passionate about. Far removed from the regular s**t talk you here at public ranges.

I was told yesterday that you can get semi-auto conversions for M96 Swede Mausers...
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bazooker » 25 Jan 2019, 3:17 pm

bladeracer wrote:
in2anity wrote:Very informative video thanks for sharing- it’s always refreshing to hear an ACTUAL expert talk about something they feel passionate about. Far removed from the regular s**t talk you here at public ranges.

I was told yesterday that you can get semi-auto conversions for M96 Swede Mausers...

He was nearly right, he may have been thinking of the M1903 springfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_device

Baz.
It takes 43 muscles to frown, 17 to smile, and 3 for proper trigger squeeze........Relax!
Bazooker
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Supaduke » 25 Jan 2019, 7:06 pm

Ah yes, the Pederson device. Quite a bit of myth and legend around that. Internet gurus that have actually managed to have a try all say it's a clunky POS. Would be surprised if anyone in Australia has or will ever try one.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 25 Jan 2019, 8:05 pm

When forgotten weapons did the video on what I am sure was the Peterson device, they said it was made to try and s lol to several countries , therefore a.version was made to fit several different models. Possibly the Swede was one of them.

Edit. It was the Snabb conversion I was thinking of. Made to convert many military bolt actions.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stoney » 25 Jan 2019, 9:00 pm

No4 Mk1/Mk1* all day every day. Just have a look at the far heavier barrel AND conveniently free floated for you at no expense.
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Jan 2019, 9:09 pm

Not to mention a far stronger action
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Stoney » 25 Jan 2019, 9:50 pm

deye243 wrote:Not to mention a far stronger action

Also, how many range guns have you come across in your time? Almost always No4Mk1*
Stoney
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 25 Jan 2019, 10:33 pm

I had one in 25.303 and shot Seirra 87g and if you used my loads in a 25.303 in a no1 you would be wearing metal
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2019, 3:55 am

Bazooker wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

He was nearly right, he may have been thinking of the M1903 springfield

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedersen_device

Baz.

I'm looking at buying his M96 so I don't think he could confuse it with something else.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 01 Feb 2019, 5:51 am

winton wrote:

Opinions as to which is or isn't a better rifle are moot. They were made as battle rifles...cost of production, reliability in the field, rapid fire potential, rapid reloading etc. etc were more relevant than which is a better rifle. I have a no.3 Lithgow, no.4 mark II and two Jungle carbine no.5's. Love shooting all of them. Those actions regardless of which specific version is still hard to beat today. Saying one is better than the other is purely subjective opinion.
I don't have a favourite, love them all and shoot them often.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 06 Aug 2019, 12:28 pm

vmaxaust wrote: and two Jungle carbine no.5's. Love shooting all of them. Those actions regardless of which specific version is still hard to beat today. .

How are your jungle carbines? Whats their accuracy like? Any truth to the wandering zero?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 06 Aug 2019, 4:04 pm

All I can tell you is that the accuracy of the JC versions I have is only marginally less accurate than my Lithgow #3 and my #4 full length rifles. Remember, I'm talking open sights sitting at a bench at 100 metres. I rarely shoot any of these rifles to targets beyond 150-200.
Wandering zero? Don't really know what that means. Mine both shoot consistently and I rarely shoot less than 100 rounds at a session.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by winton » 13 Aug 2019, 7:33 pm

@vmaxaust, Does your JC have the metal cap end on the front forestock?

I've seen JC with and without them. I've seen JCs with matching serial forestock but without the metal cap. Do you know anything about this? I've read that some werher taken off and sanded down to prevent rot.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by vmaxaust » 14 Aug 2019, 6:21 am

[quote="winton"]@vmaxaust, Does your JC have the metal cap end on the front forestock?

Both of mine do not have the metal end on the front wood. Just all wood. Only one I've seen with metal end is the Indian made Ishapore version although the date made could also be relevant...I have no idea.
vmaxaust
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by magnum012 » 20 Aug 2019, 12:25 pm

Anyone know if new barrels are available for no1 mk3 somewhere?
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2019, 12:56 pm

magnum012 wrote:Anyone know if new barrels are available for no1 mk3 somewhere?

I've seen modern replacement barrels available somewhere.
Do you want an original barrel, a modern replica, or just a replacement barrel?
Try Alan Swan maybe - https://www.allanswangunsmithing.com/barrels
Or TSE - https://www.tsengineering.com.au/services/barrels/#toggle-id-3
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by magnum012 » 20 Aug 2019, 10:49 pm

I just want to replace my flogged out barrel with another one the same, but with a good bore.
Corrosive primers destroyed it long before I got it.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sungazer » 22 Aug 2019, 7:25 am

Problem is all the New old stock barrels are nearly 70 years old. In that time, at some time they most likely were not serviced / maintained and are pitted and or have rust on them. You can get a new barrel made but it is going to cost you close to $1k for a good one. Even then finding a 303 bore is very hard and most barrel makers just want you to go to a 308.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by magnum012 » 22 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

sungazer wrote:You can get a new barrel made but it is going to cost you close to $1k for a good one. Even then finding a 303 bore is very hard and most barrel makers just want you to go to a 308.

Yeah I was expecting about that much, I’m more than happy to pay that price if I can end up with a good shooter that looks pretty close to the original.
Might have to have a chat with a bloke a couple of towns away that apparently does top notch work.
magnum012
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by GojiraSteve » 01 Sep 2019, 9:02 pm

Stoney wrote:conveniently free floated for you at no expense.

Is it? I had the impression the barrel required 2lbs (or something like that) of upward pressure against the "nosecap" (clearly not a nosecap, but the muzzle end metal bit whatever it's called) in order to be judged in-spec.
GojiraSteve
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Next

Return to Centerfire rifles