Dumb reloading question

Reloading equipment, methods, load data, powder and projectile information.

Dumb reloading question

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 4:28 pm

This might be a dumb question but sorry, I don't know the answer. I'd like to empty all my un-fired .222 reloads and start from scratch. ie remove the projectiles and powder, clean the cases properly, get the cases uniform, seat the bullets properly etc. etc.

My question is, is it safe to remove the un-fired primers in the same way I would a fired primer? Would punching out the primer cause them to go off? Also can I re-use the primers once I take them out?

I am using a Simplex press with a neck sizing die with the primer remover thingo in the die.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: Dumb reloading question

Post by deanp100 » 11 Aug 2019, 4:47 pm

You may set some off trying to ease them out. If you hit them hard with the pin on the simplex you will definitely set some off. I have done this on a few cases and had one go off and it woke me up. No big deal but I wouldn’t want to be staring straight down at it with eyes open. Can you fire off just the primers.
In hindsight the one I set off was a large rifle primer . A small rifle is probably insignificant enough to put on safety glasses and go at it normally.
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 11 Aug 2019, 4:51 pm

Slow and steady...do not “strike” the primer - push it out.
I’ve de loaded hundreds like this without one going off.
I don’t know if I’d reuse them as they are stretched a little upon initial seating...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Aug 2019, 5:01 pm

Impact sets off primers. You can deprime ok just do it slowly. (push them out)

You will need to wear safety glasses (not sunnies or specticles) and hearing protection. Yes you can re-use them.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 5:06 pm

thanks for the answers guys, appreciated
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2019, 6:09 pm

If I pull proj and powder I leave the primer intact and I assume the case is already the correct size so I just add more powder and reseat projectiles,,,, I m very surprised that it’s possible to reuse a primer that has been seated then pushed out. I thought the pressure to push them out would destroy them but according to the replies sounds like it’s ok to do. I don’t think I would risk it myself I don’t like the idea of a primer failing on a nice boar that I have been stalking
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 11 Aug 2019, 6:11 pm

No such thing as a dumb reloading question. Dumb is when you blow half your face away because you didn’t ask the question in the first place
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 6:44 pm

too right Bir243!
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by in2anity » 11 Aug 2019, 9:41 pm

When you seat a primer upside down, and then need to deprime it, that’s when things get exciting
At what point does lack of maintenance become patina?
in2anity
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 11 Aug 2019, 10:05 pm

Why are you taking the loaded cases apart? Is it possible to fire off the ammo you have? It would be good practice and save stuffing around.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 11 Aug 2019, 10:32 pm

You can pop out a primer and yes reuse it.... if you are that worried... just make some plinking ammo from those primers.

As said above go very slowly and wear protection... and I don't mean protection against STDs.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 11 Aug 2019, 11:09 pm

SCJ429 wrote:Why are you taking the loaded cases apart? Is it possible to fire off the ammo you have? It would be good practice and save stuffing around.

yes good question ... I considered that but driving 70k's to the range firing off 100 rounds for the sake of it not my idea of fun. I'd rather collect the loaded projectiles and powder, and now that I have good case cleaning/resizing/measuring gear start from scratch and use the powder and projectiles and put some quality loads together rather than the haphazard one's I've got now. I want to do some load development with cases that are properly prepared with projectiles seated at the proper depths rather than just guessing and see if I can start putting some good groups together. They were around an inch or slightly above before but I'd like to do a bit better than that.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by cracker » 11 Aug 2019, 11:55 pm

iv pressed heaps of live primers out... just be careful i guess
cracker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by straightshooter » 12 Aug 2019, 7:47 am

gordicans wrote:
SCJ429 wrote:Why are you taking the loaded cases apart? Is it possible to fire off the ammo you have? It would be good practice and save stuffing around.

yes good question ... I considered that but driving 70k's to the range firing off 100 rounds for the sake of it not my idea of fun. I'd rather collect the loaded projectiles and powder, and now that I have good case cleaning/resizing/measuring gear start from scratch and use the powder and projectiles and put some quality loads together rather than the haphazard one's I've got now. I want to do some load development with cases that are properly prepared with projectiles seated at the proper depths rather than just guessing and see if I can start putting some good groups together. They were around an inch or slightly above before but I'd like to do a bit better than that.

If the ammo in question shoots acceptably and assuming you are not financially constrained then why not set it aside and save it for those uses where "bragging accuracy" isn't required. A lot of game has been shot with only average ammo.
In my opinion you would probably be better off starting with all fresh components in trying to make quality loads.
If you reuse components then you have a few more suspects, other than the usual ones, to blame if the new ammo does not meet your accuracy expectations.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 12 Aug 2019, 8:16 am

Hey gordigans...
Im not sure how you're pulling the projectiles, but if you're using that 'grip-n-pull'...& you intend to re-use the projectiles, especially if loaded real close to lands, be aware that the grip-n-pull may well deform the bullet & change the ogive.
...how much it changes is dependant on the neck tension the loaded rounds have now, & how hard you grip the tool.
So keep in mind, reloading these if deformed (even slightly) they may also be out of round... :unknown: ... (ive never tested bullets pulled this way for concentricity, but i have measured ogive & that does change-all be it only slightly).

Also, given that, depending how long these rounds have been in existance it might be worth cracking them first with the seater die--just set the seater die so you push the bullet down (seat it deeper in case) one thou or so before pulling--it may well make it easier to pull them.

When i pull bullets (i use the grip-n-pull) i dont use the pulled bullets for load testing, but i do use them for hunting/plinking etc once load testing is done.

Also, if these cases have already been fired in that chamber, i wouldnt size the case, just graphite the necks & neck size... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Bills Shed » 12 Aug 2019, 10:12 am

Yep I have pushed primers out before and reused them but did have some fail to fire so as said above, plinking fun at the range ammo only. It is no fun taking them hunting and having one failing to go off. Good point about the pulled projectiles as well.
I have made a lot of ammo and I agree even average ammo will kill critters dead. If you want to shoot groups and try for the smallest possible, OK start from scratch, but hunting reality does not need the polished, weighed, sorted etc, etc loaded rounds that we are told that you must have in order to drop an animal.
You can still squash a bit of brass into a die with a vice, tip a volume of powder in with a old shell casing and seat a projectile by tapping it in with a mallet. It will still shoot critters. We have never had it so good as to reloading equipment, but the older methods still work.
Just take it slow and steady and you will be fine.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by marksman » 12 Aug 2019, 2:26 pm

IMHO you would be better off as has been suggested to drive the 70 klms and shoot the ammo off at the range

it sounds like you want to upgrade your already loaded ammo to how you load the ammo now
you can get away with what you are proposing but you will not have primo ammo till you shoot the rounds no matter what you are doing :unknown:
you will be making ammo maybe using different methods learnt along the way but with neck tension that will not be the same as if you only loaded once, the projectiles may not be round anymore and the cases may not be a proper fit to your chamber
IMO second best but that is only my opinion, I say shoot the buggers and reload :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by SCJ429 » 12 Aug 2019, 7:26 pm

gordicans wrote:

The 222 is a great little case and very forgiving, if you have some more cases I would experiment with them. You should be able to get some once fired cases cheaply through Australian Once Fired or through other shooters. I gave a mate all the Norma cases I had and after annealing they are good for probably another 10 firings.

What cases, dies, powder and projectiles are you planning to use?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 13 Aug 2019, 2:21 am

straightshooter wrote:
gordicans wrote:

If the ammo in question shoots acceptably and assuming you are not financially constrained then why not set it aside and save it for those uses where "bragging accuracy" isn't required. A lot of game has been shot with only average ammo.
In my opinion you would probably be better off starting with all fresh components in trying to make quality loads.
If you reuse components then you have a few more suspects, other than the usual ones, to blame if the new ammo does not meet your accuracy expectations.

Which fresh components? I've looked very closely at the projectiles after removing them (with one of those impact hammer thingos) and they look to be perfectly fine to use. I see no advantage in using new cases over the old cases which will be at least as good as new cases after some work on them. The powder of course will be OK to re-use. That only leaves the primers and I'll probably use new ones which are relatively inexpensive. So no, with respect I disagree
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by gordicans » 13 Aug 2019, 2:36 am

Stix wrote:Hey gordigans...
Im not sure how you're pulling the projectiles, but if you're using that 'grip-n-pull'...& you intend to re-use the projectiles, especially if loaded real close to lands, be aware that the grip-n-pull may well deform the bullet & change the ogive.
...how much it changes is dependant on the neck tension the loaded rounds have now, & how hard you grip the tool.
So keep in mind, reloading these if deformed (even slightly) they may also be out of round... :unknown: ... (ive never tested bullets pulled this way for concentricity, but i have measured ogive & that does change-all be it only slightly).

Also, given that, depending how long these rounds have been in existance it might be worth cracking them first with the seater die--just set the seater die so you push the bullet down (seat it deeper in case) one thou or so before pulling--it may well make it easier to pull them.

When i pull bullets (i use the grip-n-pull) i dont use the pulled bullets for load testing, but i do use them for hunting/plinking etc once load testing is done.

Also, if these cases have already been fired in that chamber, i wouldnt size the case, just graphite the necks & neck size... :thumbsup:

Thanks Stix, good advice. I'm using one of those hammer thingos (I just looked it up, they're called a "kinetic bullet puller") and I've looked at them afterwards with a strong magnifier and there looks to be just some very minor surface scratches on the bullet after removing them. Regarding cases I now have a full length resizing die so will be testing all the cases simply by putting into the chamber and only neck size them unless there's any resistance on the bolt when I remove them from the chamber. Then I'll measure for case trimming. Some of these cases I bought in the 1970's but they haven't had a lot of rounds through them.
Attachments
kinetic bullet puller.JPG
kinetic bullet puller.JPG (23.33 KiB) Viewed 4517 times
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Aug 2019, 3:31 am

In regards to the cases - your missing the same thing I did until it was explained.
The first firing of new cases and those cases that have been full resized - will allow the case / neck / etc to fireform specifically to your chamber.
The cases are then - tailored to your rifle and only need neck sizing to give you the best consistency / accuracy.

If your loaded ammo is new, recently resized, never fired in your rifle, etc - then there are additional benefits to simply firing the ammo to fireform those particular cases.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Aug 2019, 8:56 am

I've deprimed about 50 using a lee deprimg pin and a hammer as used with the Lee Loader.

Never had a single one go off, other than that zero care was taken, one tap and their out.

As always, safety glasses just in case.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 13 Aug 2019, 10:44 am

I have had a primer go off when depriming with a wilson hand die similar to the lee hand die, it blew the die out of my hand,
lesson learnt use wobble dies and just squeeze the primer out, no hammers :lol:

its entirely up to yourself if you pull this ammo and reload it again expecting to get a better result than you already have by using better techniques
straightshooter is dead right that you would be better off with fresh components to get the results you are after

" I want to do some load development with cases that are properly prepared with projectiles seated at the proper depths rather than just guessing and see if I can start putting some good groups together."

its not a fresh start till you fireform the cases and use new components, the projectiles are seconds once pulled and so are the primers, the bullets will not be as consistent as made, if they show any scuff marks will be off centre like an unbalanced wheel on your car, the primers if the pellet hasn't been damaged by the hard hitting of the kinetic bullet puller will be smaller and wont fit as tight as a new one, then you consider that your neck tensions will be all over the place and the case volumes will be different, once re reloaded your ammo is as good as what you already have :unknown:
if you are lucky
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by gordicans » 14 Aug 2019, 3:55 am

TassieTiger wrote:In regards to the cases - your missing the same thing I did until it was explained.
The first firing of new cases and those cases that have been full resized - will allow the case / neck / etc to fireform specifically to your chamber.
The cases are then - tailored to your rifle and only need neck sizing to give you the best consistency / accuracy.

If your loaded ammo is new, recently resized, never fired in your rifle, etc - then there are additional benefits to simply firing the ammo to fireform those particular cases.

Thanks Tassie, but I get this one. I bought most of my in the 1970's and have been used a fair bit so they are far from new cases so and that is part of the problem. I don't trust them any more in the breach. So I'll be separating the ones that need full length resizing from the others. And then case trimming will be the main job to get these cartridges into shape then I can do some load development... I suspect some of the cases have lengthened to the extent that they are pushing onto the lands.

Fortunately the .222 is a forgiving cartridge from this perspective.
gordicans
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2019, 8:13 am

If the cases are longer than where the reamer has cut the chamber it will be very difficult to close the bolt. This could also lead to massive increases in pressure. Trim all of your brass to the trim lenght. Then FL size all of your brass. Chamfer the mouth and you are ready to go.

If you are really keen you could pay someone to anneal your cases for you. I am guessing you are not setup for annealing yourself. What brand is your brass? Would you consider buying new Norma or Lapua brass?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bills Shed » 14 Aug 2019, 8:39 am

gordicans wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:In regards to the cases - your missing the same thing I did until it was explained.

Thanks Tassie, but I get this one. I bought most of my in the 1970's and have been used a fair bit so they are far from new cases so and that is part of the problem. I don't trust them any more in the breach. So I'll be separating the ones that need full length resizing from the others. And then case trimming will be the main job to get these cartridges into shape then I can do some load development... I suspect some of the cases have lengthened to the extent that they are pushing onto the lands.

Fortunately the .222 is a forgiving cartridge from this perspective.

Gordicans I think you are getting a little lost in the process or maybe terminology. Case trimming does not stop the projectile
from getting pushed into the lands, C.O.L. does. A long case, as previously said, will be hard to chamber and if forced may grip the projectile like a crimp, causing pressure issues.

Bill
Swaging your own projectiles is the ultimate in flexibility.
Bills Shed
Corporal
Corporal

Tasmania

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2019, 10:55 am

gordicans wrote:
Stix wrote:Hey gordigans...

Thanks Stix, good advice. I'm using one of those hammer thingos (I just looked it up, they're called a "kinetic bullet puller") and I've looked at them afterwards with a strong magnifier and there looks to be just some very minor surface scratches on the bullet after removing them. Regarding cases I now have a full length resizing die so will be testing all the cases simply by putting into the chamber and only neck size them unless there's any resistance on the bolt when I remove them from the chamber. Then I'll measure for case trimming. Some of these cases I bought in the 1970's but they haven't had a lot of rounds through them.

Well sounds like you're dead set on the pulling apart excercise...!!

If you are going to FL size any of them, i would do them all...
In other words either neck size all or FL size them.all...
Do you have the tools to measure the shoulder...?
(That little hornady comparitor set)...if you do, measure the shoulders of cases that are not tight, then FL size to the smallest increment you can down from that (.001"), & run them all through the FL sizer die....thst way they've all had the same work & brass flow...

Im not sure if all these cases are same brand & batch... :unknown: ..so it might be worth annealing them as scj said...

Also, if only neck sizing, once they're pulled & before you de-prime them, it may be do marksmans trick of volume batching them with water...

For trimming, trim them all to same length...dont measure each one & only trim long ones like you mentioned for FL sizing.
In other words, what you do to one case, do to them all... :thumbsup: ...it helps for better sleep patters... :lol:

And agsin, i wouldnt use the pulled projectiles for load testing--..as others sasid, you're just adding another variable.
But definately keep them to load once youve found your load.

If you find a load with FL sized cases, in theory you will have to FL size excactly the same every firing for that load to work...
Or if you neck size from then on, you'll have to do further testing with those cases to find/refine the load as their volume is different.
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sungazer » 14 Aug 2019, 1:40 pm

When using that hammer, put that collet that holds the bullet away and use the Shell Holder for that cartridge. It just makes it so much easier to use. The hammer is more solid as it tightens down on the shell holder and the case fits the shell holder well and doesn't fall out.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2019, 2:45 pm

case trimming.jpg
case trimming .222
case trimming.jpg (121.1 KiB) Viewed 4464 times
FWIW .222 is the first chamber I reloaded for and I purchased 100 new Winchester brass.After loading and once firing I found the cases had formed to the chamber and had grown about a millimetre in length.Once all were trimmed to the correct length and loaded again it was rare that the trimmer did more than slightly touch the mouth of the case.At one point I had an aluminium pin for the case length and the hardened steel reamer actually shortened the pin itself and when I was seeing a lot of material coming off I checked it and I had short cut a heap of brass which went in the bin.I am agreeing with what you are doing you have old ammo and you wish to know exactly what you are going to be using in the field/range.I standardized my .222 loads to 50gn PSP Remington as they were $17.95/100 a bag and I was culling roos and going through quite a few like 40-50 a night including foxes and cats.I had 4 Kg of 2208 and found 22.2 grains gave around 2700fps.The red roos up north it blows right through the brain box but some of the big Grey roos down south it does not penetrate but does way enough damage to put them down instantly. does everyone use a case length trimmer like this??
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2019, 3:01 pm

I took the reloading pathway I did as every cent you can save when culling for profit is important I have no idea as to your intentions with your rifle?? My first reloads in the mid 90s I purchased 52gn Sierra Matchkings the logic being it was mega important to be accurate enough to head shoot.The SMK were very accurate however I had a few pass throughs where you hear the thud and they go down but halfway over to pick them up the get up and hop off.I did recover some of these animals and the bullet had passed through the nasal cavity area.The pointed soft points blew up on contact and did a much better job.I also became more confident in placing the shot at the brain area and not centre of mass of the head.I have no idea why .222 is so accurate but it is.The other lucky break I got was I needed ammo and bought 60 Highland at Geraldton and when I went to zero at the station the POI was exactly the same as my reloads.Good luck with it all and I hope you find the happy place like I did
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Return to Reloading ammunition