7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Calibres, cartridges, ballistics tables and ammunition information.

7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 Aug 2019, 2:07 pm

So, I am very very close to adding a 7mm-08 to my collection. They're a few reasons for going the 7mm rather than another 6.5 (which I may end up doing). Firstly and probably the biggest reason is brass. I know I will always be able to resize some 308 brass which isn't going where soon. This fits in nicely to my 243,260,308 and 338fed theme nicely.

Secondly, there are wide range of bullets, I guess mostly thanks to the Rem mag. However, this also leads me to problem. On yank forums, I've cover across a few people saying they had trouble incidents of bullets not expanding at close, medium and far ranges. Each think that perhaps manufacturers have made the 7mm bullets more specifically for the magnum and expansion for higher velocities versus the slower speeds of the '08. I think there is merit in their experiences as no manufacturer would like news spread that their bullets explode on impact. (the opposite with lack of expansion could be said too I guess).

This rifle would only be for hunting. Pigs, deer and goats. Not target shooting.

Can shooters of this cartridge give advice/experience on this questions. ADDITIONALLY, if anyone has reason to move be away from this purchase for other reasons, please let me know.

I could really go either 7mm-08, 270 (so similar ballistically) or the 6.5 creed/Swede. I have experience with all but the 7mm-08. It should be obvious now I'm just spending my tax return on toys, not needs.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: 7mm-08 specific question - hunting related

Post by bigrich » 14 Aug 2019, 2:19 pm

I’ve read up on Nathan fosters website on 8x57 recently, and some 8mm bullets are designed for 8 mm rem mag and don’t perform in the 8x57 . Which would be the case in 7mm exactly like you said. Get onto stix as he’s played with 7-08 and if I recall correctly his rifle didn’t like some projectile weights. I’d PM him to see what he reckons. I don’t think you would be on a bad thing if you went to a 270 Winchester, but have a look at 280 rem . It’s a 7-06 and would have a bigger range of projectile than 270 . Just a thought . Cheers
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by duncan61 » 14 Aug 2019, 3:15 pm

I have a 7mm Rem Mag Sendero and reload for it.I use 100gn Sierra Gamekings for walking around hunting and 168gn Matchkings for the range I also have a heap of big game rounds from what I can see the 7/08 is 400 fps slower with the same bullet range.It is used in the south of England for deer hunting as the game is Fallow and roe deer.I would be inclined to use bullet weights between 120gn and 150gn for hunting and I totally get the one case for every thing mentality.How do you choose what to take I have a hard time with only 3 rifles
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 Aug 2019, 7:39 pm

Thanks Gents. Thought I would check popular chamberings by sales in US for last year.

https://christensenarms.com/blog/most-p ... amberings/

Creedmoor smashed it out of the park. Surprised 223 didn't come up on their radars. Needless to say there was nothing for the 7mm-08. Didn't really shock me though.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Aug 2019, 8:04 pm

My experience is similar to what you worry about...although thats nothing to worry about...lol...

Though i dont shoot pigs--none here that i have access to--i just try shoot goats if i get the opportunity & i very occasionally hunt the odd herd of paper-skinned coreflute with it in a particular paddock out to 400 yds...

I basicslly found similar weight bullets in different brands were designed differently...

For example, the 7mm Nos BT from memory is supposedly a shift up designed for heavier animals (heavoer base/maybe thicker jacket i guess :unknown: ) where as the 120 Vmax was still a varmint type with rapid explosive expansion still at slower speeds.. . (Better for soft little goatoids)

Best results i got on goats were with 120 Vmax...
Although the 140 weight is toated as the "alrounder", i prefer those 120 vmax for goats...every goat ive ever hot with them has fallen over immediately--ive never had a run-on with them.

The latest im trying is speer 110 hp's that seem ok, but ive only head shot in close proximity so cant realy say how they perform until i hit a few in the chest at decent range...

I found the sierra 120 GK very explosive on skulls (head shots) under 80 yds (no head left lol) but i found they pencilled through their little ribs & soft chest cavities...
Having said that, i know of a bloke who (apparently) shot squillions of goats with this bullet & loved them...!!...but he was slso driving them faster than i was.

Ive only found loads for my 7-08 either down very low or right up high (100%-compressed loads) so i choose the low end as the other were very loud & really hammered the brass to the point of having to FL size every firing...bugger that...!!...

There is a projectile for every need in the 7mm range--you just need to find one that performs well for all your game choices, based on the speed you're sending them at....but that is the case with every cartridge when hunting...

There's many people with so much more experience than me with 7-08...hopefully you'll hear from them...

I like it...& i doubt you'll be disappointed...!!

Just one thing to be aware of...!!
If you're going to get your cartridges mixed up & put in wrong rifle on the bench...make sure you put a 243 in the 7-08...not the other way around...lol..

One thing ive learned using 308 cases in my 7-08...depending how tight the chamber is & how thick the brass is, you may have to turn some necks...
So make sure you measure the necks of loaded rounds & the fired cases, along with a bullet slip test in a few fired necks of any batch...
Or you may chase your tail & scratch big holes in your head wondering why a bullet that grouped beautifully with one batch of brass, sprays like a hand full of rocks with another batch...(meaning it could get dangerous with pressures if the brass is too thick)
:drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 14 Aug 2019, 8:57 pm

I don't have a 7mm08 but shoot a 7mmBR which is even slower. If I want a frangable bullet that is very fast and explosive I use the 110 grain Speer TNT. It is accurate and expands well even on rabbits and foxes. I have used them on goats and medium sized pigs. I have also used Nosler BT and like Stix said they are excellent.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Cal-ApeR » 14 Aug 2019, 10:48 pm

Thanks Stix and SCJ. It leaves me a lot to think about. I do wonder if the 270 would be easier all round to get brass and projectiles but I do have a feeling it will be harder to get in the coming years. Seems like the creedmoor is killing a few old favorites slowly. I really don't mind the 270 and the long action isn't something to turn me off but i definitely like the idea of future proofing myself with the ability to resize 308 brass. Not sure the 270 will be as popular in another 20 years.... On another note there are a few creedmoors going cheap. Don't know if I can do it though.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 15 Aug 2019, 12:19 am

270 will be around if thats what you like my nephew has a 7mm08 and has taken a few whitetail deer with it and has done good.
keep in mind many of the loads will be about the same as the 7x57 my nephew is loading 139grain hornadys in his 7mm08
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Aug 2019, 9:48 am

The 270 is a great old case which is flat shooting and hard hitting but not a giant leap above a 7mm08. The 270 caliber and like the 257 it is not popular and you have less of a choice of projectiles. If you are hunting things that you don't think the 7mm is suitable for then you would be better off stepping up to a 300 WSM or a bigger magnum like Weatherby, RUM or Winchester.

I would be confident using a 7mm08 at reasonable ranges for all but the biggest deer or pigs. After that you might be better off with a 416 Ruger or similar. Just my 2 bob.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Aug 2019, 10:03 am

Mmm, personnally, i dont think u need one. I would just use the 308 or 243. IMO. :roll:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Aug 2019, 10:07 am

If you already have a 260 and a 308 - isn’t adding a 270 little.... trivial?
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Cal-ApeR » 15 Aug 2019, 12:48 pm

Yep you're right. I have a toy spending problem. I really don't need anything. I do have things covered. I'll also inherit a few different calibres in years to come. A few lovely sakos. In the meantime I guess I'm look for good calibres in beat around hunting rifles liked the howa etc. Probably not looking for a magnum, I do enjoy plinking sometimes so that would be out of the question.

Point taken on 270 with limited bullet selection.

Still keen to hear more experiences with expansion etc in 7mm projectiles.
I'd rather be hunting
Cal-ApeR
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 15 Aug 2019, 2:02 pm

I wouldn’t worry about “old favourites “ becoming obsolete. So long as you have the common 308/30-06 bolt face you can always rebarrel. If I had to pick a 7mm it would be a 7x57 or 280 rem ( 7mm -06 ) people keep saying 222 is dying but more people are getting back into it ( like 22 hornet) cause it is a great naturally accurate caliber. The yanks keep reinventing old calibers into new to stimulate new firearms sales, but the old classics that do the job keep on keeping on . And you can always rebarrel
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Aug 2019, 3:09 pm

The 270 has lasted 95 years, I am sure you will see it around for the next 20 or 30 years you may be hunting with it.

The 7mm will do anything that a 308 can do with similarly constructed bullets. What you really need is something different, Grendel? 45/70?
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 3:15 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Still keen to hear more experiences with expansion etc in 7mm projectiles.

Mate...buy the 7-08... :thumbsup:
Then try get on to the bullet manufacturors for detsils of the construction of various bullets...that will give you a starting point of which bullets to try...
As i said, i got on to Nosler direct & they were happy to tell me that their 120BT was at a point of heavier construction than the calibre's under it, & that i may be better suited to a more franjiable bullet for thin skinned & light bodied snimals such as goats...especially given i wasnt driving them particularly fast.

They may slso be sble to give you details of fragmenting/mushrooming at various velocities too...
But as i said, you wont know until you buy a rifle & see what it likes to eat...
In other words, someone msy tell you brand "X" bullet in their hollow point is criptonite for deer & pigs, but if it dont shoot in your rifle, you need to find a diffetent bullet....of which there is plenty of choice in 7mm...

If you're worried about bullets not opening up cos they designed for magnums, thats just a velocity thing...choose lighter constructed bullets that open when moving slower... :thumbsup:

You wont be unhappy with a 7mm, & if you like short action like your 243, there's your answer...

Not trying to shut down any further info, or your search for it, just trying to help...

Have you bought it yet...?...lol

You could be suffering what is called a "buyers objection"...meaning youre after confirmation from others by way of objecting to the obvious choice... :lol:

If you got the coin, go get it--you'll love it... :thumbsup:

BTW i know someone with a 270-08...yep...a 308 necked down to 270...
They wanted a 270 in short action & decided to get that chambering... :unknown:

The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 15 Aug 2019, 4:41 pm

Cal-ApeR wrote:Yep you're right. I have a toy spending problem. I really don't need anything. I do have things covered. I'll also inherit a few different calibres in years to come. A few lovely sakos. In the meantime I guess I'm look for good calibres in beat around hunting rifles liked the howa etc. Probably not looking for a magnum, I do enjoy plinking sometimes so that would be out of the question.

Point taken on 270 with limited bullet selection.

Still keen to hear more experiences with expansion etc in 7mm projectiles.

Why not type up what you actually have (inc scope and prime reason for the rifle - hunting, target, etc) - then we can all have our say on possible “toys”...
But make no mistake, NRS is a proven disease and you won’t easily get rid of it...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by SSC » 15 Aug 2019, 6:49 pm

Gday, Cal-ApeR

RE: Your 7MM-08 Issue,

Sounds like the early days of the.444 Marlin, Calibre projectiles.

Except in reverse order, so yes their is a precedent to this type of issue.

If I have this right,

in order to save money people were.

Reloading .444 Marlin using .429, .44 Cal pistol projectiles to reload in .444 the problem was pistol bullets were now being used in a rifle and driven.
At about 2200-2400 FPS.

Way above pistol velocity's in those days and the result was pistol projectiles rapidly expanding on blades of grass or just self destructing on the animals hide. Little too no penetration being achieved. However, proper .444 ammunition is a real brush cutting cartridge,

The issue was eventually resolved by projectile manufacturers, producing for the reloading community a number of various weight .430 Rifle projectiles.
Specified for use in rifles of this calibre.

However this issue would have definitely cost them some sales in the early years.

My question for you to consider is this!

Apart from your mentioned, brass considerations in respect to the .308.

The tried and true 7X57mm case has more powder capacity for reloading than the 7mm-08.

In addition as the 7X57mm Case is longer than 7mm-08.

This tends to eliminate most bullet, depth seating, verses powder increase issues that may arise with 7mm-08.

7X57mm can be safely loaded hotter than 7mm-08, if required.

Will give good results for projectiles weights ranging from about 140 grain standard to175 grain.

Which Hypothetically! would take elephants,

Just as effectively now as it did in the 1930's-40's.

In Fact, probably better because modern powders.

are just so good now.

Anyway points for consideration, its still your call!

GunBlu490 on YouTube has a very good article on this.

When he talks about Parent Cases of our modern .308 and 270.

Kind Regards
Kind Regards

SSC

You can Ignore the Facts!
What You Won't be Able to Ignore.
Is the Consequences! of Ignoring the Facts.
Ayn Rand
SSC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by marksman » 15 Aug 2019, 8:07 pm

"Point taken on 270 with limited bullet selection."

rubbish, the 270 is a true 7mm caliber and has plenty of very good bullets out there, for crying out loud you only need one :lol:
nosler sells from 100gr to 160gr bullets including partitions
berger sell from 130gr up to the eol 170gr elite hunter with a bc of .662 perfect long range bullet that is made for hunting
sierra sells 115gr to 150gr including smk's
hornady sell 100gr to the 150gr sst's I shoot and have a .525 bc, they are rated for medium to large game from 50lbs to 1500lbs

I recon you should be looking at the 270wsm for shooting 150gr bullets very flat and very far
my 270wsm shoots the 150gr sst's one hole at 200yds and 3220fps, whooooompa
it is a bit flatter shooting than my 6.5x284 with 142gr smk's .535 bc at 2950fps
and its on par with my 22 dasher shooting 55gr zmax at 3800fps with both dialed in for a 200yd zero they hit bull again at 450yds

the 270 is under rated by people who are blinded by bullchit :lol: dont underestimate the 270 cal :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Stix » 15 Aug 2019, 8:50 pm

Well there you go Cal-ApeR...!!!

Take that...!!!

Im sold...!!!...!!!...

...how bout you... :unknown:

Hell...!!...he had me at "whooooompa"... :lol:

(Except im sure its spelt with an "F" or two at the beginning & sn "h" at the end... :thumbsup: :lol:

..."Fffwhooooompah"...

...im curious to know what note the "pop" is when it hits... :D
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 15 Aug 2019, 9:24 pm

Sorry but not a fan of the 270WSM - ammo costs, supply and a few of the LGS around here just don't stock it (no demand).

Came across this reply from Uncle Nick in answer to a question.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/ask-u ... us-270-wsm

And don't underestimate the 270, as previous stated, been around for many years, along with the 7x57mm Mauser.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by SCJ429 » 15 Aug 2019, 9:33 pm

marksman wrote:"Point taken on 270 with limited bullet selection."

rubbish, the 270 is a true 7mm caliber and has plenty of very good bullets out there, for crying out loud you only need one :lol

the 270 is under rated by people who are blinded by bullchit :lol: dont underestimate the 270 cal :drinks:

Is there any advantage shooting a 270 compared to a 7mm or 30 cal in the same case? Say a WSM or Weatherby? Why did you select a 270 WSM?

I don't think people under rate the 270 just overlook it. For me the 30 cal is the pick because it has the largest selection of bullets and you can always get them. Same thing for brass.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Aug 2019, 4:50 am

Well, the great caliber debate is alive and well :lol: it’s all nit picking really . They all have their strength and weakness . With modern powder 7x57 is still a true slayer, ya can’t really say anything bad about 270 win , 7-08 fits in a short action, the only bad thing I can say about 270 wsm is maybe brass availability in remote areas but many gun shops do good mail order these days. In reference to the OP’s original question, projectile choice is relative to all caliber’s also depends on the job at hand. Also it depends on what floats ya boat in terms of rifle choice for the caliber as well. 270 win has a lot going for it with availability of components. I don’t think it’s going anywhere soon. Personally a loaded up 7x57 in a Winchester model 70 would do it for me if I didn’t already have 6.5x55
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 16 Aug 2019, 7:12 am

TassieTiger wrote:If you already have a 260 and a 308 - isn’t adding a 270 little.... trivial?

Reloading the 270 is required to get the best out of it.

It's in a diff class to the 7-08, 260 and the 308. Add 300 to 400fps with the 140gr and 150gr pills when you use reloader 26.
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by marksman » 16 Aug 2019, 9:27 am

SCJ429 wrote:

rubbish, the 270 is a true 7mm caliber and has plenty of very good bullets out there, for crying out loud you only need one :lol

Is there any advantage shooting a 270 compared to a 7mm or 30 cal in the same case? Say a WSM or Weatherby? Why did you select a 270 WSM?

I don't think people under rate the 270 just overlook it. For me the 30 cal is the pick because it has the largest selection of bullets and you can always get them. Same thing for brass.

ok the advantages that I thought about that made me go 270wsm

with weatherby cartridges you need a magnum action, but I wasn't looking at weatherby cases, my 270wsm was a 300wm in a long action that did not allow me to load long so I had it rebarreled into 270wsm so I could get the most out of it, the advantage being the 270wsm will fit a long action comfortably

the reason I didn't go 7mm wsm was the cases, nearly impossible to get, but I could get heaps of 300wsm and neck them down to 270wsm although I haven't needed to because I had an abundance of win 270 wsm cases that I sorted through till I had 100 consistent cases, the advantage is case availability

and why not the 300wsm, lower recoil, because the 270wsm shoots flatter at distance, I like the idea of a long slender bullet and had my reamer made to suit the 150gr sst bullets to shoot big deer at good distances, as I mentioned above my 270wsm shoots flatter than my 6.5x284, only just but it does

I also agree with uncle nick that on average you will get around 200fps or more velocity than from a standard 270win,
the question is "do you think its worth it" to me it is, I wasn't choosing between the two. I wasn't comparing,
if I did I would just shoot my 30-06 :drinks:

I dont think my 270wsm costs any more to shoot than my 30-06 :unknown: have not thought about it
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 16 Aug 2019, 5:23 pm

.."if I did I would just shoot my 30-06.." Now your talking, Marksman.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by flutch » 16 Aug 2019, 6:20 pm

rubbish, the 270 is a true 7mm caliber and has plenty of very good bullets out there, for crying out loud you only need one :lol:
nosler sells from 100gr to 160gr bullets including partitions
berger sell from 130gr up to the eol 170gr elite hunter with a bc of .662 perfect long range bullet that is made for hunting
sierra sells 115gr to 150gr including smk's
hornady sell 100gr to the 150gr sst's I shoot and have a .525 bc, they are rated for medium to large game from 50lbs to 1500lbs

I recon you should be looking at the 270wsm for shooting 150gr bullets very flat and very far
my 270wsm shoots the 150gr sst's one hole at 200yds and 3220fps, whooooompa
it is a bit flatter shooting than my 6.5x284 with 142gr smk's .535 bc at 2950fps
and its on par with my 22 dasher shooting 55gr zmax at 3800fps with both dialed in for a 200yd zero they hit bull again at 450yds

totally agree, the 270 is a beast of a cartridge and anyone who makes claims about them not having good rounds and accuracy is either ignorant, malevolently lying or have simply never owned one or believed one of the first two and is simply repeating their nonsense. End of the day its personal choice and preference if I were looking at something a little less than the 270 myself the next step down would be 6.5x55 personally... as for stopping power and and penetration there are round as mentioned sierra, berger, hornady, speer, nosler, woodleigh, etc etc... all make rounds ranging from varmint to big game in .277 from 80gn all the way up to 180gn, and they are readily available and have great BC.... whoever started the Hen House old bitty gossip wagon on the .270 not having a good selection of projectiles needs to be told to shut up pronto, theyre only making people that buy into it look stupid...
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by SCJ429 » 16 Aug 2019, 9:41 pm

You need to read and understand what people write. When they say that a 30 cal has a larger selection of projectiles, they are correct but you take it as there is not a good selection of projectiles for a 270.

If someone told me that it was harder to source .411 projectiles than .458 I would not get upset. It is true. It would not stop me shooting them or call all the 458 fans ignorant. Shoot what you want and enjoy yourself. Try to be more positive in your posting and understand than some people have a different opinion to you. And that is fine, the difference is what makes things interesting.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by duncan61 » 16 Aug 2019, 9:58 pm

Between 6mm and 7mm there are more than 60 chamberings on the ADI loading chart alone.They all shoot bullets,We are splitting hairs a bit over whats best!!! Fast or slow powder/bullet choice makes a big difference as well.More by luck than planning I have a .222 that will shoot a 60gn pill a .243 that will go fro 55gn-105gn and a 7mm Rem Mag that will shoot 100gn to big game 175gn I am satisfied the 7mm is suitable for all the plains antelope in Africa and big cats and the diminutive .222 is deadly up to small dog size game.The first hunting style rifle I ever used over 30 years ago was my bosses 30/06 on goats in the Murchison and for a long time I raved on about how good it was.I guess its what you get exposed to as we go through our lives.I haven,t been into Trailboss yet but that opens another can of worms
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by flutch » 17 Aug 2019, 8:07 am

SCJ429 wrote:You need to read and understand what people write. When they say that a 30 cal has a larger selection of projectiles, they are correct but you take it as there is not a good selection of projectiles for a 270.

If someone told me that it was harder to source .411 projectiles than .458 I would not get upset. It is true. It would not stop me shooting them or call all the 458 fans ignorant. Shoot what you want and enjoy yourself. Try to be more positive in your posting and understand than some people have a different opinion to you. And that is fine, the difference is what makes things interesting.

Not really, people specifically try and assert that there are no decent bullets in .277 they claim its inaccurate and they claim its limited to only low BC bullets, that simply isn't true. Its a reoccurring theme and it isn't rare whatsoever. and eh 30cal might have a lot of projectiles but the actual effectiveness out of a .308 cartridge is exaggerated greatly.
Guns:
Rossi S/S 410
Lanber U/O 12 gauge
Adler B220PG 12 gauge
Ruger 22lr
Remington 270 win
Howa 223
Weatherby 300 Winmag

Bows:
G5 Quest Drive
G5 Prime Defy
flutch
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 17 Aug 2019, 9:51 am

Not sure what you guys are shooting at but my man beliki hit a medium size boar on the run with his 308 behind the front leg and it went right through and blew a big hole on the other side and the opposite leg off.It stopped running at that point.Its been a long time since I was in the Army but a Bren gun in 308 can cut trees down and thats with FMJ NATO ammo
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Next

Return to Calibres, cartridges and ballistics